Presidency: The greased pig in the field game of American politics. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

SubjectAuthor
* Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radiossms
+* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nodan
|+* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were noknuttle
||+- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMJoerg Lorenz
||`* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
|| `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMJoerg Lorenz
||  `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMAJL
||   `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
||    `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMAJL
||     `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMJoerg Lorenz
||      `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were noJerry Friedman
||       +- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMJoerg Lorenz
||       `- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
|`* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
| `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nonospam
|  `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were noknuttle
|   +* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nonospam
|   |`- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were noknuttle
|   `- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
+* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMAJL
|`* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
| `- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMAJL
+* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
| `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
|   `- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nonospam
`* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
 `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nonospam
  `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were noJAB
   `* Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FMsms
    `- Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were nonospam

Pages:12
Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<tdi2d3$2kq$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33930&group=comp.mobile.android#33930

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM
Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 08:38:27 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38 UTC

Am 17.08.22 um 07:14 schrieb Jerry Friedman:
> On 8/16/22 10:52 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> sms always lives in a parallel-universe.
>
> In that parallel universe, let's hope there is a parallel you who can tell
> us something that isn't always stupid and always wrong and always of
> absolutely no use to anyone and not just you bloviating yourself again.

You must be completely new to the Usenet. BTW: Your client masters
filtering.
If you need help, let me know.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<tdj67h$g7nk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33933&group=comp.mobile.android#33933

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 09:49:50 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 16:49 UTC

On 8/16/2022 8:40 PM, JAB wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 21:01:45 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> This would be a good solution for the tens of millions of iPhone users
>>> (and tens of millions of Android users as well), that are upset about
>>> the lack of an FM radio in their phones.
>>
>> tens of millions (a number you made up) out billions of devices
>> confirms that it's not a feature in high demand.
>
> Why would anyone want something that Steve Jobs thinks you shouldn't get?

Every time a feature is removed from a product, or feature that
competing products have but the product in question does not, you'll
invariably have some fanboi proclaim that it's not an issue because not
many people use that feature. Of course they have no evidence as to the
number of users that _do_ want that feature. A majority of users don't
use wireless charging and don't use NFC payment systems, but enough do
to make the feature desirable. Even Apple conceded that they had removed
too many ports from their Macbooks and added some back, including HDMI
and a MicroSD card slot
<https://www.imore.com/apple-adding-ports-back-macbook-pro-new-start-notebook>.

Yes, the FM radio was not used by a majority of smart phone users, but
it is very useful in certain situations and since it was in the chipset
of most phones as an SDR (software defined radio) it didn't cost
anything extra to enable it, but it did require a headphone jack for an
antenna.

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<tdj68h$g823$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33934&group=comp.mobile.android#33934

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 09:50:22 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 16:50 UTC

On 8/16/2022 10:14 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On 8/16/22 10:52 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> sms always lives in a parallel-universe.
>
> In that parallel universe, let's hope there is a parallel you who can tell
> us something that isn't always stupid and always wrong and always of
> absolutely no use to anyone and not just you bloviating yourself again.

We all have that hope. Hope keeps us going.

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<170820221330599767%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33935&group=comp.mobile.android#33935

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:30:59 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 17:30 UTC

In article <tdj67h$g7nk$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Every time a feature is removed from a product, or feature that
> competing products have but the product in question does not, you'll
> invariably have some fanboi proclaim that it's not an issue because not
> many people use that feature. Of course they have no evidence as to the
> number of users that _do_ want that feature.

what evidence do you have about the number of users who actually use a
given feature? none whatsoever.

unlike you, device makers *do* have that data and use it to decide what
features to include and not include in a given product. they also know
what features users want in future products.

no device can do everything, and in a space-constrained device such as
a phone, some features must be omitted.

> A majority of users don't
> use wireless charging and don't use NFC payment systems, but enough do
> to make the feature desirable.

more made up numbers that are easily shown to be false.

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<ul77ti-46t.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33946&group=comp.mobile.android#33946

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:28:46 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:28 UTC

On 2022-08-16 17:26, sms wrote:
> On 8/16/2022 4:45 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-08-16 00:31, sms wrote:
>>> I know that even most new flagship Android phones have dropped the FM
>>> radio, and iPhones never had one to begin with (even though early
>>> iPhone chipsets did have the FM radio hardware capability embedded).
>>>
>>> This morning I was working out on an elliptical at the gym that I go
>>> to and there were three televisions, each with different programming,
>>> showing. Underneath each television monitor there was a sign with an
>>> FM frequency. You tune to that frequency with an FM radio to get the
>>> audio. There's a low-power FM (LPFM) transmitter on the shelf above
>>> each monitor.
>>>
>>> I only had my iPhone with me so I could not get the audio. Next time
>>> I go there I'm going to bring along one of my Android devices that
>>> has an FM radio to try it out and see how well it works. Of course
>>> you could also bring along a separate FM radio with Bluetooth or a
>>> headphone jack, but I've never seen anyone go to that much trouble.
>>
>> I think that there are headsets with an FM receiver in them, so you
>> don't need anything else. Yes, confirmed, Amazon has them. Most of
>> them have both BT and FM.
>
> You really wouldn't want to be wearing a large headset while exercising.

Depends... a large one covers your ears completely and you get almost
complete isolation from surroundings. I see people on the street with
somewhat large headsets.

But those I saw are relatively small.

Reminds me: I suspect there are headsets that cancel outside noise. I
have not searched/investigated, though.

> Something like this would be okay <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C588X7P>.

I wonder what's the advantage of that design :-?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<tdr6t3$21cgk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33953&group=comp.mobile.android#33953

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 10:50:24 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:50 UTC

On 8/20/2022 7:28 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

<snip>

> I wonder what's the advantage of that design :-?

When you're exercising you want the minimum amount of stuff covering
your head because you're sweating so that design accomplishes that. You
also may not want small wireless earbuds/AirPods because they can fall
out to easily. There are often posts on Nextdoor along the lines of "I
lost an AirPod on xyz trail, if anyone found it please message me."

I did try the LPFM system at the club I go to. There are three
televisions, each with different programming. The LPFM is only
functional on one of them, and there is really no way to submit a
request that anything in the club be fixed.

I did order one of these
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804421552114.html> since it also
has the advantage of a MicroSD card slot for loading your own content.

Re: Broadcasting Audio to Multiple Portable Devices, Wish that FM Radios were not Disappearing from Android devices.

<200820221422501997%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33954&group=comp.mobile.android#33954

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:22:50 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 18:22 UTC

In article <tdr6t3$21cgk$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> When you're exercising you want the minimum amount of stuff covering
> your head because you're sweating so that design accomplishes that. You
> also may not want small wireless earbuds/AirPods because they can fall
> out to easily.

those who actually have them know that to be false, particularly the
ones with tips.