"Don't talk to me about disclaimers! I invented disclaimers!" -- The Censored Hacker

computers / comp.mobile.android / Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Graham J
| +* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
| |`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
| | `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
| |  `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
| `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Adriano
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?sticks
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Lawrence Aracabia
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Chris
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Roger Mills
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
| `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
|  `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|   `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Char Jackson
|    `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Erholt Rhein
|     `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|      `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|       `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|        `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|         `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|          `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Bill Bradshaw
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Ammammata
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Ammammata
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Peter Jason
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Erholt Rhein
| `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Adriano
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?David Taylor
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Zaidy036
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark

Pages:12
Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgf9u8$1ni8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34260&group=comp.mobile.android#34260

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:17:28 +0200
 by: mark - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:17 UTC

Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I have Windows 10 and Android 11.
I am working on a project with multiple very large apartment complexes.
I have a paper colored apartment complex map for each complex.
The map does not seem to be online so it's a paper handout.
At each complex I'm expected to visit a set of given units each day for
various reasons and all they give me is this paper map to find each unit.

That works. But it's inefficient.
They do this to everyone, not just to me.

We're expected to use the paper map with hundreds of apartments and dozens
of buildings, where the numbering system for buildings usually makes sense
but not for the apartments. Sometimes we even need to visit parking spaces
as we have vehicles parked which we have to put notices on where the
numbers make no sense on purpose for security reasons.

Once I find a given location, I've been using OSMand+ to save the current
position. First off I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.

So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.

These apartments all have individual outside entrances so it's not like a
hotel where you go down a long hallway to serially find the door number you
need.

When I get to the right apartment door I step outside the entrance on the
ground floor and press as close as I can on the blue location dot which
pops up a "Looking up address" OSMAnd+ menu which usually gives the same
address for all locations. Then I press the "Add" star and change the name
to "Complex Bathroom" or "Complex Pool" or more commonly "ComplexBldgApt"
such as "RedwoodApts Bldg15 Apt489" or "RedwoodApts Lot15 Spot489" or
something like that.

Once I've renamed the current pressed location, I hit Save and then I can
navigate walking after that where OSM can talk me through the steps even
when the phone is in my pocket and my hands are full.

Having to fatfinger the location isn't as accurate as having a "Save
Current Location" button would be but it's definitely good enough for
government work as they say.

When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
full.

That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.

What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
location.

All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.

Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<210920221120082012%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34261&group=comp.mobile.android#34261

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:20:08 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:20 UTC

In article <tgf9u8$1ni8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
gps).

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgfb4r$1rlmk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34262&group=comp.mobile.android#34262

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:38:01 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:38 UTC

nospam wrote:
> In article <tgf9u8$1ni8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
> gps).

I don't think that's what the OP wants.

If I come to your house and take a photo of you, my phone might well add
the gps coordinates of your house to that photo.

If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put
the coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to
write them onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the
annotated map. I think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly
by editing the jpeg file.

--
Graham J

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<210920221145071944%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34263&group=comp.mobile.android#34263

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:45:07 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:45 UTC

In article <tgfb4r$1rlmk$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
<nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
> >
> > that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
> > gps).
> >

> I don't think that's what the OP wants.
>
> If I come to your house and take a photo of you, my phone might well add
> the gps coordinates of your house to that photo.
>
> If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put
> the coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to
> write them onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the
> annotated map. I think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly
> by editing the jpeg file.

various photo asset management apps already locate photos on a map.

but it's clear who the op is, meaning his claimed needs will change.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgffc7$1rvql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34264&group=comp.mobile.android#34264

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:50:14 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:50 UTC

On 9/21/2022 10:17 AM, mark wrote:
> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

Gaia can save locations with coordinates and a screen shot will save an
image. You can also make a folder for each visit with all the named
waypoints needed for each place and make it public. Anyone can then
simply open gaia and go to the exact spots. It will direct you to them.
I use the free version.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<ecz0lecdnj77.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34265&group=comp.mobile.android#34265

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:04:57 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:04 UTC

mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/how-to/how-to-know-the-location-of-the-photo-taken-using-from-our-smartphone/articleshow/65152274.cms

Go into your camera app's settings. For me, it's called "Tag
Locations". GPS data is stored in the EXIF data of the photo file.

I'm not into photo editing, but I'm sure you'll find lots of Android
apps to let you annotate a photo (add text to it).

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+photo+annotate
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=photo%20annotate&c=apps

You might want to add "gps" to the Play Store search to see which might
automatically add GPS text to a photo.

After reading the rest of your article, I'm wondering if what you want
is a mapping tool that records way points. Some GPS way point apps let
you save a photo, and add details on the location.

Although you included a Windows newsgroup, I assumed you are not toting
around a Windows 10 computer to take photos, but are using your Android
phone, so make sure location tagging is enabled in the camera app in
your Android phone. In Windows for photos you've already taken with
your phone, right-click on an image file, Properties, Details to see the
meta-data for GPS. If you want the GPS data overlayed on the photos,
just about any image editor can do that, even MS Paint.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgfkms$1sj3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34266&group=comp.mobile.android#34266

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:21:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:w+JgzfSnJdSfBwGH4AIJmwEGnlE=
 by: Chris - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:21 UTC

mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I /think/ what you're after is a map image with a QR code embedded in it.
The QR will have a map reference encoded in it for the user to navigate to.

https://qrcodegeneratorfree.online/geo.php

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<jp1ej4FmnmcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34267&group=comp.mobile.android#34267

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 22:38:42 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:38 UTC

On 21/09/2022 16:17, mark wrote:
> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I can't quite visualise what the end product needs to be, but have you
considered using the What3Words app to generate location addresses
instead of GPS co-ordinates?

[In case you're nor familiar with it, the app considers the surface of
the whole world be be divided into 3 metre x 3 metre squares, and
assigns 3 random (but unchanging) words to each square]

If you visit each location, the app generates the 3-word code for that
location, and you can save it, along with a label. When you've finished,
you can export all the codes and labels to a .csv file, which you can
transfer to a PC for further processing.

Depending on the size of the paper map, you could perhaps print small
adhesive labels for each location and stick them on the master copy, and
then photocopy the whole thing for distribution.

Armed with a 3-word location code, you can use the app to navigate to
that location.

The app can also take a photo of each location and store it with the
location code, but I'm not sure how useful that would be for your purposes.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tggkub$guv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34269&group=comp.mobile.android#34269

From: curmudg...@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:31:24 -1000
 by: curmudgeon - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 03:31 UTC

mark wrote at Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:17:28 +0200 :

> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
for jpeg files but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
every point on the grid of the jpeg.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
will be able to navigate based on those reference points.

Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tggu0e$14ve$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34271&group=comp.mobile.android#34271

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 02:06:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 06:06 UTC

On 9/21/2022 11:17 AM, mark wrote:
> [...]
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

The paper map you were given, came from a GIS system.

What you're trying to do, is transfer information from
one GIS system to another GIS system.

This has nothing to do with JPEGs. A JPEG would be exactly
the wrong starting point. If you were going to enter the
information anywhere, you'd add it manually to OSMand.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgh2j2$fsgt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34272&group=comp.mobile.android#34272

From: ammamm...@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:24:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:24 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:17:28 +0200, mark wrote:

> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I have Windows 10 and Android 11.

post-processing with Faststone

select your photo, press F3
Use advanced options
click on Text tab
Insert variable
choos EXIT data GPS

example, with all three types of GPS data

https://i.imgur.com/yCeIvk0.jpeg

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgh2kk$fsgt$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34273&group=comp.mobile.android#34273

From: ammamm...@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:25:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:25 UTC

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<e8utvi-mfc.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34275&group=comp.mobile.android#34275

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:41:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:41 UTC

On 2022-09-21 17:45, nospam wrote:

>>> that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
>>> gps).
>>>

>> I don't think that's what the OP wants.
>>
>> If I come to your house and take a photo of you, my phone might well add
>> the gps coordinates of your house to that photo.
>>
>> If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put
>> the coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to
>> write them onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the
>> annotated map. I think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly
>> by editing the jpeg file.
>
> various photo asset management apps already locate photos on a map.

Map is on paper.

> but it's clear who the op is, meaning his claimed needs will change.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<q7utvi-mfc.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34276&group=comp.mobile.android#34276

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:41:14 +0200

On 2022-09-21 23:38, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 21/09/2022 16:17, mark wrote:
>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

>> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>>
>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I can't quite visualise what the end product needs to be, but have you
> considered using the What3Words app to generate location addresses
> instead of GPS co-ordinates?

Problem is, 3word locations only work with their app. It doesn't work on
google maps, or OSMAnd, last time I tried.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<220920220815058489%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34277&group=comp.mobile.android#34277

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:15:05 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:15 UTC

In article <e8utvi-mfc.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> Map is on paper.

who uses paper maps anymore?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<0i0uvi-ofc.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34278&group=comp.mobile.android#34278

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:20:48 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:20 UTC

On 2022-09-22 14:15, nospam wrote:
> In article <e8utvi-mfc.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>

>> Map is on paper.
>
> who uses paper maps anymore?

He does. Not his choice.

I do, too.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgi33k$1tvb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34280&group=comp.mobile.android#34280

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:39:17 +0200
 by: mark - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:39 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> The paper map you were given, came from a GIS system.

It probably did but alls I have is the paper map which I took a photo of to
turn it into an electronic document on my phone.

> What you're trying to do, is transfer information from
> one GIS system to another GIS system.

I saw the note from someone else that what I want to do is called
georeferencing a document, no matter what that document format is.
> This has nothing to do with JPEGs. A JPEG would be exactly
> the wrong starting point.

I'll give up on trying to turn the jpeg into a geonavigable map.
Instead I'll convert the jpeg into a pdf.

Almost all the information I saw on georeferencing was for PDFs.
It turns out all good map programs can navigate a georeferenced PDF.

> If you were going to enter the
> information anywhere, you'd add it manually to OSMand.

I tried entering information onto the OSMAnd+ map like the building numbers
but the only place I could find to edit the map was in "My Places" and not
onto the map itself.

If I could annotate the OSMAnd+ map itself and distribute it to others,
that would work but I can't be updating the OSMAnd+ maps on the Internet
because this is information only we would want to have on the map.

How do you annotate a personal copy of the OSMAnd+ offline map?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgi4uh$rq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34281&group=comp.mobile.android#34281

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:10:41 +0200
 by: mark - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:10 UTC

curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:

>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
> for jpeg files but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
> georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
> every point on the grid of the jpeg.
> https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Based on that reference, it looks like I need to find a program for Windows
which will georeference the digital image so that the georeferenced
digitial image can then be distributed to the team to be used for map app
navigation on their phones.

> Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
> will be able to navigate based on those reference points.
>
> Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

They got hung up on it being an image and they didn't read the rest of the
question because the question has nothing to do with exif data.

> It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
> georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
> https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

If I convert the digital image to a pdf, do you know of a windows program
that can georeference that pdf?

Once I have the georeferenced pdf, any good map navigatation program on the
phone should be able to navigate using that georeferenced pdf as it's map.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgiaef$29fov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34282&group=comp.mobile.android#34282

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:44:30 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:44 UTC

On 9/22/2022 12:39 PM, mark wrote:

> How do you annotate a personal copy of the OSMAnd+ offline map?

There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<ihmpihhip43jnusev3baehi1gh0gdvk5vt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34283&group=comp.mobile.android#34283

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:03:55 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:03 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:17:28 +0200, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

>Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I use PShop to add data to photos before I distribute them.

At the end of PShop adjustments I use the "Text" function to add the
static data (location, event, date) and then the people and items, all
as a PShop layer then I fuse the layers. Text color and size, and
position can be added to unobtrusive parts of the photo.

I've never used GPS, but cameras with that facility can be attached to
the computer and the coordinates added with all the other data.

My customers really appreciate all this info.

t's all very boring of course.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tglvit$ab9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34289&group=comp.mobile.android#34289

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:03:40 +0200
 by: mark - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 04:03 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
> with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
> questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.

I found the right group. Thanks.

It's not the Windows or digital photo group that knows how to georeference.
Nor Android.

I'm taking it up there instead as they understand how to georeference
digital images.

Here's the latest response from that group, this one from Bernd Rose.

From Bernd Rose
Georeferencing images predates georeferencing of *.pdf files by decades.

An excellent free GIS program for Windows (and other operating systems)
capable of georeferencing is QGIS:

https://www.qgis.org

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgovqm$vmg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34291&group=comp.mobile.android#34291

From: curmudg...@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:26:12 -1000
 by: curmudgeon - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:26 UTC

VanguardLH wrote at Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:04:57 -0500 :

>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
> After reading the rest of your article, I'm wondering if what you want
> is a mapping tool that records way points. Some GPS way point apps let
> you save a photo, and add details on the location.

What the OP needs to do is assign a gps coordinate to each pixel in his/her
raster images using XYZ tile layers for each zoom level.

He/she probably will want to gather the coordinates for a few ground
control points from OpenStreetMap. Using those selected ground control
points he/she should use the free Windows QGIS version 3.20 or newer tools
which have a built-in OpenStreetMap based nominatim geocoder to warp the
image to his/her chosen coordinate reference system.

Most likely he/she will choose the EPSG 3857 Pseudo Mercator as his/her
target coordinate reference system with the polynomial 2 transformation
type and LZW compression settings.

A good tutorial for georeferencing JPG images with Windows QGIS3 is here.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/advanced_georeferencing.html

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgp1kq$1kfb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34292&group=comp.mobile.android#34292

From: Lawrence...@Aracabia.com (Lawrence Aracabia)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:57:13 +0200
 by: Lawrence Aracabia - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:57 UTC

sticks <wolverine.01@charter.net> wrote:

> Gaia can save locations with coordinates and a screen shot will save an
> image. You can also make a folder for each visit with all the named
> waypoints needed for each place and make it public. Anyone can then
> simply open gaia and go to the exact spots. It will direct you to them.
> I use the free version.

Firefox can download Google satellite image map tiles & OSM map tiles.
https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader

I would think those tiles would come with the georeferences already.

But that free MapTilesDownloader utility from Ali Ashraf requires Python.
Is Python on Android?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgp2sq$4l4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34293&group=comp.mobile.android#34293

Followup: rec.photo.digital
From: inva...@invalid.it (Adriano)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:18:30 +0200
 by: Adriano - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:18 UTC

Il 21/09/2022, mark ha detto :
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

yes, if you have the track recorded by a gps.
I have a nikon D7200 and the GPS that I've bought (anche that shoud be
compatible) doesn't work. So I record the track with mytrail (or
runtastic) on a smartphone and use the free software geosetter
(windows) to take the position from nmea file and update the photo exif
data.
Clock of the camera must be correctly set, of course, because it is
used to take the correct position inside the nmea file.
I suppose that any other gps tracker that can export data should work
If out take photos with an android smartphone ther should be an option
to add gps data to the exif data.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgp314$6jh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34294&group=comp.mobile.android#34294

Followup: rec.photo.digital
From: inva...@invalid.it (Adriano)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:20:47 +0200
 by: Adriano - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:20 UTC

Graham J scriveva il 21/09/2022 :

> If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put the
> coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to write them
> onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the annotated map. I
> think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly by editing the jpeg
> file.

he shoule transform a position in a nmea file. Not easy, also because
the time should be correlated with the photo time.
I do not know any other method.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?