Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Graham J
| +* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
| |`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
| | `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?nospam
| |  `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
| `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Adriano
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?sticks
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Lawrence Aracabia
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Chris
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Roger Mills
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
| `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
|  `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|   `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Char Jackson
|    `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Erholt Rhein
|     `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|      `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|       `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|        `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
|         `* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?curmudgeon
|          `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Bill Bradshaw
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Ammammata
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Ammammata
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Peter Jason
|`* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Erholt Rhein
| `- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Paul
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Adriano
+- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?David Taylor
+* Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?Zaidy036
|`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark
`- Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?mark

Pages:12
Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgp5t1$37d9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34295&group=comp.mobile.android#34295

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:09:51 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:09 UTC

On 21/09/2022 16:17, mark wrote:
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I use a separate GPS tracker - sometimes two - to record my position. Whilst
the phone can do this, a separate tracker is more accurate. I then use a free
program called GeoSetter to add location information to the EXIF part of the
JPEG image. Likely there is a program to transfer that data into text on the
image - search with Google.

You might also consider an app like Dioptra (Android) or Theodolite or (iOS).
--
Cheers,
David

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgpvek$815$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34298&group=comp.mobile.android#34298

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:25:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Erholt Rhein - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:25 UTC

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:03:55 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

> I use PShop to add data to photos before I distribute them.
>
> At the end of PShop adjustments I use the "Text" function to add the
> static data (location, event, date) and then the people and items, all
> as a PShop layer then I fuse the layers. Text color and size, and
> position can be added to unobtrusive parts of the photo.

The question has nothing to do with texting images or exif metadata.

It's not surprising that a windows or android group doesn't know how to
manipulate image pixels, but it is rather surprising that a so-called
digital photo group doesn't understand a simple question about common every
day basic image manipulation techniques.

All that is needed is to associate each pixel in the image to a geographic
coordinate system which can be done with oziexplorer or gdal or mapc2mapc
or oom or quantum gis free windows tools.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgq973$3e9ct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34300&group=comp.mobile.android#34300

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:12:34 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:12 UTC

On 9/21/2022 11:17 AM, mark wrote:
> [...]
> I have a paper colored apartment complex map for each complex.
> The map does not seem to be online so it's a paper handout.
> At each complex I'm expected to visit a set of given units each day for
> various reasons and all they give me is this paper map to find each unit.
>
> That works. But it's inefficient.
> They do this to everyone, not just to me.
>
> We're expected to use the paper map with hundreds of apartments and dozens
> of buildings, where the numbering system for buildings usually makes sense
> but not for the apartments. Sometimes we even need to visit parking spaces
> as we have vehicles parked which we have to put notices on where the
> numbers make no sense on purpose for security reasons.
>
> Once I find a given location, I've been using OSMand+ to save the current
> position. First off I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
> Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.
>
> So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.
>
> These apartments all have individual outside entrances so it's not like a
> hotel where you go down a long hallway to serially find the door number you
> need.
>
> When I get to the right apartment door I step outside the entrance on the
> ground floor and press as close as I can on the blue location dot which
> pops up a "Looking up address" OSMAnd+ menu which usually gives the same
> address for all locations. Then I press the "Add" star and change the name
> to "Complex Bathroom" or "Complex Pool" or more commonly "ComplexBldgApt"
> such as "RedwoodApts Bldg15 Apt489" or "RedwoodApts Lot15 Spot489" or
> something like that.
>
> Once I've renamed the current pressed location, I hit Save and then I can
> navigate walking after that where OSM can talk me through the steps even
> when the phone is in my pocket and my hands are full.
>
> Having to fatfinger the location isn't as accurate as having a "Save
> Current Location" button would be but it's definitely good enough for
> government work as they say.
>
> When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
> a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
> when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
> initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
> be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
> full.
>
> That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
> group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.
>
> What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
> map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
> location.
>
> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
Google Maps and right click on location coordinates first item click on
them will copy to clipboard. Then paste in your map.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<tgqbli$1pmq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34301&group=comp.mobile.android#34301

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:54:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:54 UTC

On 9/25/2022 12:25 PM, Erholt Rhein wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:03:55 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:
>
>> I use PShop to add data to photos before I distribute them.
>>
>> At the end of PShop adjustments I use the "Text" function to add the
>> static data (location, event, date) and then the people and items, all
>> as a PShop layer then I fuse the layers. Text color and size, and
>> position can be added to unobtrusive parts of the photo.
>
> The question has nothing to do with texting images or exif metadata.
>
> It's not surprising that a windows or android group doesn't know how to
> manipulate image pixels, but it is rather surprising that a so-called
> digital photo group doesn't understand a simple question about common every
> day basic image manipulation techniques.
>
> All that is needed is to associate each pixel in the image to a geographic
> coordinate system which can be done with oziexplorer or gdal or mapc2mapc
> or oom or quantum gis free windows tools.

Images based on 4CC codes internally, the parser will ignore
any 4CC codes it does not recognize. This could allow metadata
to be added. Or it could allow just about anything to be added.
It would be pointless for a Windows group to sit around
hypothesizing about things for which no standards exist.
Which could be discovered in any reasonable way.

If we were to do that, we would start with a sample JPEG file, and
examine it forensically for "crap". Just as we had to mess around
with heic and heif when they were presented to us.

There are image formats not based on 4CC and packet style carriage,
for which these sorts of things aren't going to happen. The parsers
in such cases are brittle, and you'd notice if someone had injected
crap.

If you use a gis file format, that's a carriage designed to purpose.
And not a "secret agent - known to a cloistered few" method.

And AV scanners *do* scan images for things that should not be in there.
It is just as necessary to scan a JPEG as to scan an EXE (stack smashing).

I could carry information via steganography, but... I'm not a secret agent.
I posted a link to such a tool, a few months back, but did not test
it myself, as I have no interest particularly.

Color laser printers use steganography, so that if you print bank
notes on a color printer, an identifier for the printer is embedded
in the pixels (yellow noise). But you'd only have a problem from the
Secret Service, if you happened to pay for the printer with a credit card :-)

For a format to be useful, if it was covered by standards, then I
could pop your modified image into Photoshop, and access the information
you added. Somehow, I don't think that's going to work, without at
least a third-party plugin. Just like the steganography app, you
would need the same app, to extract the message at the other end.
The method used is not standardized. There is more than one
steganographic method (more than one encoding), and one steg app
is not going to be able to extract a message from a different steg app.
The fun for the authors of these, is their claim it "cannot be detected".

Steg is an in-band method, adding 4CC packets is an out-of-band method.

Paul

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<ui8ejhlgem6lhphfrg435gmsh6e74g9aj9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34374&group=comp.mobile.android#34374

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:11:53 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:11 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:03:40 +0200, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

>Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
>> with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
>> questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.
>
>I found the right group. Thanks.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm guessing the right group was one of
the following:

alt.internet.wireless
alt.satellite.gps
sci.geo.satellite-nav

Probably one of the latter two.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thai9p$4gk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34385&group=comp.mobile.android#34385

From: erho...@pobox.com (Erholt Rhein)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:25:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Erholt Rhein - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:25 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:11:53 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:03:40 +0200, mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:
>
>>Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
>>> with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
>>> questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.
>>
>>I found the right group. Thanks.
>
> In case anyone was wondering, I'm guessing the right group was one of
> the following:
>
> alt.internet.wireless
> alt.satellite.gps
> sci.geo.satellite-nav
>
> Probably one of the latter two.

The group I would have expected this question to be answered isn't a
digital photo group because they don't know how to manipulate geospatial
pixels - but in comp.text.pdf instead because they've done it for years.

The way I would add gps coordinates to every pixel in an image would be to
use the free Adobe Acrobat product to turn the image into a geospatial pdf.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/print/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

People do it all the time for navigating airport terminals for example.
https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036971113-How-do-I-create-a-geospatial-PDF-

Firefighters & emergency responders use EGP to add geospatial coordinates.
https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/pms936-1/create-incident/geospatial-pdf

But I'd use Adobe Acrobat since it's easy to edit the image as a PDF.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

Most governments recommend navigation in the geoPDF in Android/iOS Avenza.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2012/12/geospatial-pdf-how-create-geospatially-aware-pdf

Avenza is limited to 3 active maps (although they can be combined).
https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/how-it-works.html

If you need more than 3 active maps, use Android/iOS Paper Maps instead.
https://www.paper-maps.com/

An easy way to test how geopdfs work is to download them from the usgs.
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#

Zoom to the 24K/7.5-minute quadrangle of interest & download the geopdf.

An example is this Grand Canyon geopdf to use in either of those two apps.
https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/StagedProducts/Maps/USTopo/PDF/AZ/AZ_King_Arthur_Castle_20210820_TM_geo.pdf

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thc621$nq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34403&group=comp.mobile.android#34403

From: curmudg...@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 14:09 UTC

Erholt Rhein wrote at Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:25:46 -0000 (UTC) :

> The group I would have expected this question to be answered isn't a
> digital photo group because they don't know how to manipulate geospatial
> pixels - but in comp.text.pdf instead because they've done it for years.

If the digital photo newsgroup folks had been at all aware of GeoTIFF and
JPEG 2000 GeoTIFF formats they would have long ago known how to add &
preserve any geospatial coordinates embedded in those layered raster image
files.

Keep in mind most digital image readers automatically convert the incoming
coordinate system to the coordinate system of the current document when
importing new coordinate layers into an existing geospatial document.

A common coordinate system is the World Geodetic System 1984 but older maps
may have been drawn using an earlier grid coordinate system such as NAD
1927.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thck40$12uf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34408&group=comp.mobile.android#34408

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:09:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:09 UTC

curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:

> If the digital photo newsgroup folks had been at all aware of GeoTIFF and
> JPEG 2000 GeoTIFF formats they would have long ago known how to add &
> preserve any geospatial coordinates embedded in those layered raster image
> files.

I should update this thread even though it has been a super human effort
and I still have failed due to technical difficulties all around.

The first method that was suggested that I tried and failed at was to
download the OSM map tiles and then try to modify them with the specific
apartment and building information to try to use them inside the OSM app.

I wasn't able to download Google satellite image map tiles because of the
limitations of the tiny portable laptop without any Python or C++ on it.
https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader

But I found a way to download the apartment OSM map tile as an osm file.
https://blog.richmond.edu/sal/2017/10/30/downloading-open-street-map-osm-data/

From Windows Firefox I used the OSM web interface to export *.osm tiles.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/export#map=18/{latitude}/{longitude}

Then I converted that exported *.osm file online to a series of SHP files.
http://mygeodata.cloud/

These SHP files are actually of a bunch of formats inside a zip archive.
amenity_polygons-polygon.cpg
amenity_polygons-polygon.dbf
amenity_polygons-polygon.prj
amenity_polygons-polygon.shp
amenity_polygons-polygon.shx
buildings-polygon.cpg
buildings-polygon.dbf
buildings-polygon.prj
buildings-polygon.shp
buildings-polygon.shx
landcover-polygon.cpg
landcover-polygon.dbf
landcover-polygon.prj
landcover-polygon.shp
landcover-polygon.shx
roads-line.cpg
roads-line.dbf
roads-line.prj
roads-line.shp
roads-line.shx

But I'm at a loss what to do with these SHP files inside of OSMAnd or
inside of any app, for that matter.

In a second approach, I followed up on the suggestion to create a geo
spatial PDF using Adobe Acrobat but so far I'm failing miserably.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/

From these instructions it will only work with Acrobat 9 & above
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/interacting-geospatial-pdfs/
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/geospatial-pdfs.html

I found the latest full offline Adobe Acrobat Reader installer here.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/
https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/2200220191/AcroRdrDC2200220191_en_US.exe

But I think it maybe needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/

Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
Or just the writer?

As a third approach, I'm currently trying this QGIS tutorial.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

The main problem with QGIS is it won't work with the HP Stream laptop.
Nothing you can do that is below super human will get it to install.

But I found a portable GIS version 6 that installs onto a removable drive.
https://portablegis.xyz/
https://download.astuntechnology.com/home/ (login=pgis,password=pgis)
https://download.astuntechnology.com/home/portablegis_setup_v60.exe

Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thdlhs$1o88$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34419&group=comp.mobile.android#34419

From: curmudg...@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:39:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:39 UTC

mark wrote at Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:09:04 -0000 (UTC) :

> But I'm at a loss what to do with these SHP files inside of OSMAnd or
> inside of any app, for that matter.

I've never done it but the OSM wiki says you can edit a local copy of an
OSM map using either a JavaScript ID editor or a Java OSM editor (JOSM).
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edit_maps

I'd suggest the more powerful Java OSM (JOSM) editor over Javascript ID.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

The Windows 10 JOSM installer should be located at their home page.
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/

> But I think it maybe needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
> https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/
>
> Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
> Or just the writer?

My reader doesn't have the commands for importing the OSM shape files.
Therefore I think you need the Adobe Acrobat Writer (not the reader).
> Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?

They don't tell you at that portable gis https://portablegis.xyz/ web site
that you first need to install Microsoft Visual C++ onto your system drive
before any of the PGIS QGIS 3.4.7-Madeira Desktop Packages buttons will
work on your laptop removable drives.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thdqi2$123q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34422&group=comp.mobile.android#34422

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:05:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:05 UTC

curmudgeon <curmudgeon@spam.edu> wrote:

>> Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?
>
> They don't tell you at that portable gis https://portablegis.xyz/ web site
> that you first need to install Microsoft Visual C++ onto your system drive
> before any of the PGIS QGIS 3.4.7-Madeira Desktop Packages buttons will
> work on your laptop removable drives.

I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable x64 which didn't
ask where to put it so I assume it went onto the almost full system drive.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

Then I installed portable GIS (pgis) onto the removable drive and the
button for the Desktop Packages "QGIS" brought up QGIS 3.4.7 as stated.
https://portablegis.xyz/

The suggested tutorial is for a much older version of QGIS unfortunately.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

On my portable QGIS version 3.4.7, "Raster>Georeferencer" doesn't exist.
Neither does "Layer>Georeferencer" so I gave up on that old tutorial.

The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<theqqj$16kc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34426&group=comp.mobile.android#34426

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 14:15:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 14:15 UTC

Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote:

> Google Maps and right click on location coordinates first item click on
> them will copy to clipboard. Then paste in your map.

The setup, so far, has been horrific but I've been making progress.

At first QGIS wouldn't install on the system drive (too little space on the
32GB HP Stream 11) and then GQIS wouldn't install on the ten times larger
removable drive, and then when portable GIS (pgis) was installed, the QGIS
button inside of PGIS would error looking for a DLL which turned out to be
due to the absence of C++ runtime libraries.

Now that QGIS 3.4 Madeira is running as a portable app on my puny travel
laptop, I followed this youtube tutorial, but I'm finding youtube tutorials
fly by too fast to catch the keyboard presses so I'm stuck at a point that
I need help to overcome. https://youtu.be/jKLBFddpTGI

There were some hurdles that I only found the solution to in the comments
(such as the Georeference plugin command not showing up initially), but I
think that tutorial "should" suffice but he moves too fast without
referencing what keyboard or commands he's activating.
(a) I loaded the OSM georeferenced map
(b) I loaded my PDF map which is not georeferenced yet
(c) I created a half dozen georeferenced common points on both maps
using the suggested transformation and coordinate system.

Where I'm stuck is at time point https://youtu.be/jKLBFddpTGI?t=660
I can't tell what he's using on each of the ten referenced points.

For me, those ten referenced points would be ten apartments so the step he
glossed over too quickly for me to catch is probably an important step.

No matter how many times I watch the video I can't figure out what he did.
But on my own, I saved the results at that time point any way that I could.

Now that I've run the georeference to create the *.qgs or *.qgz result, I
don't know what the next step is.

I tried loading the *.qgs or *.qgz result into OSMAnd+ but apparently
OSMAnd+ can't use local maps.

They keep talking about "shapefiles" but I don't know what that means.

When I loaded the results into Avenza, the current location was slightly
off the map so somehow the georeferencing is slightly off.

What I need is a TEXT (not video!) tutorial for QGIS 3.4 that shows how to
georeference a PDF or JPEG for use inside of a map app like Avenza.

I am already at the point where I created the GCPs.
But I am stuck at what I save and what I load into an Android map program.

Any explanation of what "Shapefiles" are used for in my application would
be useful. Also any explanation of what I have to save the file as to use
inside an Android navigation program would also be useful.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thg4tg$199t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34428&group=comp.mobile.android#34428

From: curmudg...@spam.edu (curmudgeon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:14:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: curmudgeon - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:14 UTC

mark wrote at Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:05:07 -0000 (UTC) :

> The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

You've invested so much into QGIS you should most likely keep going until
you succeed, but if you find the need to give up on QGIS, Ozi Explorer
works too for georeferencing map files on Windows 10 computers.

OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and will
work with Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and MLR GPS
receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and tracks and most
brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS position (Moving Map).
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/oziexplorer.html

By some accounts Ozi Explorer is way better written than QGIS is but I
can't speak for either one based on my lack of personal experience.

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<jq3398F13r4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34435&group=comp.mobile.android#34435

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 07:54:14 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 15:54 UTC

curmudgeon wrote:
> mark wrote at Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:05:07 -0000 (UTC) :
>
>> The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer
>> tutorial.
>
> You've invested so much into QGIS you should most likely keep going
> until you succeed, but if you find the need to give up on QGIS, Ozi
> Explorer works too for georeferencing map files on Windows 10
> computers.
>
> OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and
> will work with Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and
> MLR GPS receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and
> tracks and most brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS
> position (Moving Map).
> https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/oziexplorer.html
>
> By some accounts Ozi Explorer is way better written than QGIS is but I
> can't speak for either one based on my lack of personal experience.

You can put a waypoint on a map for each location and link a file (photo
jpg) to it.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

<thv9a5$66g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34455&group=comp.mobile.android#34455

From: mar...@mark.edu (mark)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:01:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mark - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:01 UTC

mark <mark@mark.edu> wrote:

> I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
> Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.
>
> So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.

To close the loop on this seemingly missing basic functionality to "Save
current location" without needing to zoom and fatfinger the spot, Bernd
Rose wrote the following about where OSMAnd put that (hidden) feature.

> > If you /really/ want the marker to be set on the current
> > GPS position (provided, an active GPS position is acquired at that moment),
> > you just need to long-press on the blue round GPS-center button on the
> > right bottom of the screen.

It's not intuitive to long press on the blue GPS-center button to get a
menu to save the current location, but once you know how, it works great.

If you long press the blue current location dot, you can save your current
location but it's only as good as your zoom level, where if you long press
the blue GPS-center button, it's as good as your current GPS location at
any zoom level.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?