"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve Martin

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Sunday 23 April

SubjectAuthor
* Sunday 23 April&y
+* Re: Sunday 23 AprilRichmond
|`* Re: Sunday 23 April&y
| `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
+- Re: Sunday 23 AprilBodger
+* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
|`* Re: Sunday 23 April&y
| +- Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
| `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
|  +* Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.
|  |`* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
|  | +* Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E. R.
|  | |+- Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
|  | |`* Re: Sunday 23 AprilThe Real Bev
|  | | `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
|  | +- Re: Sunday 23 AprilChris
|  | +- Re: Sunday 23 AprilFrank Slootweg
|  | `- Re: Sunday 23 Aprilsticks
|  +- Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
|  `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilChris
+* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
|+* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
||`* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
|| `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
||  `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
||   `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
||    `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
||     `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan Browne
||      `* Re: Sunday 23 April&y
||       `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Sunday 23 April&y
| +- Re: Sunday 23 AprilJoerg Lorenz
| `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.
|  +* Re: Sunday 23 Aprilsticks
|  |+- Re: Sunday 23 April&y
|  |`* Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.
|  | `* Re: Sunday 23 Aprilsticks
|  |  `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilThe Real Bev
|  |   `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.
|  |    `* Re: Sunday 23 AprilFrank Slootweg
|  |     +* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAuric__
|  |     |`- Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.
|  |     `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilChris
|  `- Re: Sunday 23 April&y
+* Re: Sunday 23 AprilAlan
|`- Re: Sunday 23 April&y
`* Re: Sunday 23 AprilRichmond
 `* Re: Sunday 23 April&y
  `- Re: Sunday 23 AprilCarlos E.R.

Pages:12
Re: Sunday 23 April

<pn133itv6f296uucl5prmv639qq94205ji@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39129&group=comp.mobile.android#39129

From: rep...@group.please (&y)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Sunday 23 April
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:27:19 +0100
 by: &y - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:27 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 09:12:45 +0100, Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:

>&y <reply@group.please> writes:
>
>> At 3pm on Sunday 23 April, my government is going to test its new nationwide
>> panic alarm to keep the people in a state of alert to its latest scare
>> campaign. How can I stop this nonsense in advance. I don't want to receive
>> these alerts.
>
>If you plugged a jack into the headphone socket, that might stop the
>alert. It would stop any other sounds too though, although I haven't
>tested it.

We've suggested issuing a 3.5mm audio dummy jack to silence the phone but
not being tech savvy we can't guarantee that this would work in all cases,
and this is turning people away from our help. Thanks.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<dv133il4m1fcnpeeebelu2t5guveom3lt1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39130&group=comp.mobile.android#39130

From: rep...@group.please (&y)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:28:15 +0100
 by: &y - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:28 UTC

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 17:55:30 -0700, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>On 2023-04-06 08:27, &y wrote:
>> At 3pm on Sunday 23 April, my government is going to test its new nationwide
>> panic alarm to keep the people in a state of alert to its latest scare
>> campaign. How can I stop this nonsense in advance. I don't want to receive
>> these alerts.
>
>Very serious question:
>
>Why do you care?

Because I do... very much.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<bi233ipi61uur32ti5950of32epk4j8ulv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39131&group=comp.mobile.android#39131

From: rep...@group.please (&y)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:57:15 +0100
 by: &y - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:57 UTC

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:29:00 -0500, sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:

>On 4/8/2023 8:04 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> No, but your response to a perfectly legitimate and important question
>>> is a
>>> classic imbecile's response who hasn't bothered to think of all those
>>> people
>>> with a genuine need to have a second secret phone as a lifeline who
>>> need to
>>> be able to turn these alerts off. Here below is something you haven't
>>> even
>>> considered because you're obviously not much of a thinker.
>>>
>>> "Brits will receive a test alert from the Government on April 2 3 as
>>> part of
>>> a new system intended to warn the public in life-threatening
>>> situations such
>>> as flooding and wildfires.
>>>
>>> Women’s charities have been quick to advise how to turn off the 10-second
>>> siren - which will go off even if phones are on silent mode - amid
>>> concerns
>>> it will reveal domestic abuse victims’ secret phones.
>>
>> Or undercover police officers.
>>
>> You are right, you have convinced me. There are genuine reasons for
>> needing to keep a phone silent no matter what.
>>
>> Those people will usually have another "visible" phone that will receive
>> the alert and not put them in danger. Or somebody else near them will.
>
>Honestly, I can't understand the objection to the Op's remarks. The
>only "genuine reason" necessary is whether or not the owner of the phone
>wants to get it.
>At the very least, the phone owner should be able to decide in what
>manner the alert plays on his\her phone. The audio and visible display
>should be up to the individual.

The awful question most often asked isn't "How do I switch off this alert?"
it's "What do I tell my father when my secret phone goes off at some future
date after the 23rd April because there's a risk of flooding in my area, or
a strong wind coming?" and "How can I convince my husband that this phone
isn't something he should be worried about? He's gets very paranoid when
drunk and beats the children, not me so much anymore, to hurt me."
No consideration has been given to the many hundreds of children convinced
that they're going to be sent abroad to marry their much older cousins, like
their sister was, and never seen again. Schools don't do as much as they
should to gain the trust of these girls, or the girls of African origin who
get to a certain age where they're in genuine danger of forced FGM with the
consent from their parents. The pressure among those who try to calm these
people is astonishing.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<e3v8gjxsnt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39133&group=comp.mobile.android#39133

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:23:42 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 20:23 UTC

On 2023-04-08 15:29, sticks wrote:
> On 4/8/2023 8:04 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> No, but your response to a perfectly legitimate and important
>>> question is a classic imbecile's response who hasn't bothered to
>>> think of all those people with a genuine need to have a second
>>> secret phone as a lifeline who need to be able to turn these
>>> alerts off. Here below is something you haven't even considered
>>> because you're obviously not much of a thinker.
>>>
>>> "Brits will receive a test alert from the Government on April 2 3 as
>>> part of a new system intended to warn the public in life-threatening
>>> situations such as flooding and wildfires.
>>>
>>> Women’s charities have been quick to advise how to turn off the
>>> 10-second siren - which will go off even if phones are on silent
>>> mode - amid concerns it will reveal domestic abuse victims’
>>> secret phones.
>>
>> Or undercover police officers.
>>
>> You are right, you have convinced me. There are genuine reasons for
>> needing to keep a phone silent no matter what.
>>
>> Those people will usually have another "visible" phone that will
>> receive the alert and not put them in danger. Or somebody else near
>> them will.
>
> Honestly, I can't understand the objection to the Op's remarks.  The
> only "genuine reason" necessary is whether or not the owner of the phone
> wants to get it.
> At the very least, the  phone owner should be able to decide in what
> manner the alert plays on his\her phone.  The audio and visible display
> should be up to the individual.

Well, the reason for the alert ringing bypassing keep silent modes is
that the phone is alerting of a life and death situation coming. Ok,
seems fair enough.

Then they are testing the alert, and warning way in advance so that
people know that their phones will ring loudly on the 23rd. Seems fair
enough.

The ministry maybe thought that there are imbeciles who will disable the
alerts because they don't want to be bothered (and causing trouble to
rescue teams subsequently), so decided to make impossible to disable the
alert. Seems fair enough.

But then, there are people for which the phone emitting a sound is a
direct life and death danger. The ministry of whatever did not think of
those people. Phones have to be able to disable any such sound.

These people may have to power off their phones that day.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<tcv8gjxsnt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39134&group=comp.mobile.android#39134

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:28:45 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 20:28 UTC

On 2023-04-08 17:27, &y wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 09:12:45 +0100, Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> &y <reply@group.please> writes:
>>
>>> At 3pm on Sunday 23 April, my government is going to test its new nationwide
>>> panic alarm to keep the people in a state of alert to its latest scare
>>> campaign. How can I stop this nonsense in advance. I don't want to receive
>>> these alerts.
>>
>> If you plugged a jack into the headphone socket, that might stop the
>> alert. It would stop any other sounds too though, although I haven't
>> tested it.
>
> We've suggested issuing a 3.5mm audio dummy jack to silence the phone but
> not being tech savvy we can't guarantee that this would work in all cases,
> and this is turning people away from our help. Thanks.

Even a plastic stub of the right shape would do. But it could break
inside. And if it moves sufficiently, the phone will emit sound.

Yes, you need a phone designed for the purpose. Something with a lid,
that doesn't look like a phone, but as a toy or electronic game, with
long lasting battery, and a hardware switch on the speaker.

Ask undercover police, they should know what they use or do.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0skvv$1d4r4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39136&group=comp.mobile.android#39136

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 16:06:09 -0500
 by: sticks - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 21:06 UTC

On 4/8/2023 3:23 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-04-08 15:29, sticks wrote:

>>> Or undercover police officers.
>>>
>>> You are right, you have convinced me. There are genuine reasons for
>>> needing to keep a phone silent no matter what.
>>>
>>> Those people will usually have another "visible" phone that will
>>> receive the alert and not put them in danger. Or somebody else near
>>> them will.
>>
>> Honestly, I can't understand the objection to the Op's remarks.  The
>> only "genuine reason" necessary is whether or not the owner of the
>> phone wants to get it.
>> At the very least, the  phone owner should be able to decide in what
>> manner the alert plays on his\her phone.  The audio and visible
>> display should be up to the individual.
>
> Well, the reason for the alert ringing bypassing keep silent modes is
> that the phone is alerting of a life and death situation coming. Ok,
> seems fair enough.
>
> Then they are testing the alert, and warning way in advance so that
> people know that their phones will ring loudly on the 23rd. Seems fair
> enough.
>
> The ministry maybe thought that there are imbeciles who will disable the
> alerts because they don't want to be bothered (and causing trouble to
> rescue teams subsequently), so decided to make impossible to disable the
> alert. Seems fair enough.
>
> But then, there are people for which the phone emitting a sound is a
> direct life and death danger. The ministry of whatever did not think of
> those people. Phones have to be able to disable any such sound.
>
> These people may have to power off their phones that day.

Feel free to allow other people, bureaucrats, and governments to tell
you what to them is a life and death situation that you must be made
aware of and take over the control of your phone.
I prefer to tell them to fuck off and keep their hands out of my stuff.
I'll decide what I want to see or hear.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0thgi$1k2os$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39137&group=comp.mobile.android#39137

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:12:48 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 05:12 UTC

On 4/8/23 2:06 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 4/8/2023 3:23 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

>>> Honestly, I can't understand the objection to the Op's remarks.  The
>>> only "genuine reason" necessary is whether or not the owner of the
>>> phone wants to get it.
>>> At the very least, the  phone owner should be able to decide in what
>>> manner the alert plays on his\her phone.  The audio and visible
>>> display should be up to the individual.
>>
>> Well, the reason for the alert ringing bypassing keep silent modes is
>> that the phone is alerting of a life and death situation coming. Ok,
>> seems fair enough.
>>
>> Then they are testing the alert, and warning way in advance so that
>> people know that their phones will ring loudly on the 23rd. Seems fair
>> enough.
>>
>> The ministry maybe thought that there are imbeciles who will disable the
>> alerts because they don't want to be bothered (and causing trouble to
>> rescue teams subsequently), so decided to make impossible to disable the
>> alert. Seems fair enough.
>>
>> But then, there are people for which the phone emitting a sound is a
>> direct life and death danger. The ministry of whatever did not think of
>> those people. Phones have to be able to disable any such sound.
>>
>> These people may have to power off their phones that day.

And what about unplanned "disasters"? Godzilla terrorizing the town,
for instance.

> Feel free to allow other people, bureaucrats, and governments to tell
> you what to them is a life and death situation that you must be made
> aware of and take over the control of your phone.
> I prefer to tell them to fuck off and keep their hands out of my stuff.
> I'll decide what I want to see or hear.

Indeed. I've lived in SoCalif all my life and have never experienced
ANY "disaster" (we've had some fairly impressive earthquakes and fires)
that would have warranted even an ordinary phone call, much less
something that could actually be life threatening. Big Brother does NOT
know best.

--
Cheers, Bev
"...so she told me it was either her or the ham radio, over."

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0tt47$33d6k$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39138&group=comp.mobile.android#39138

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 10:31:03 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:31 UTC

Am 08.04.23 um 00:36 schrieb &y:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:58:29 -0400, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-04-06 11:27, &y wrote:
>>> At 3pm on Sunday 23 April, my government is going to test its new nationwide
>>> panic alarm to keep the people in a state of alert to its latest scare
>>> campaign. How can I stop this nonsense in advance. I don't want to receive
>>> these alerts.
>>
>> Why don't you let it work for a while and see if it is so terrible
>> you'll need to go live like a hermit somewhere wearing sackcloth?
>
> No, there are genuine concerns that these wireless alerts are going to put
> domestic abuse victims in danger by alerting violent partners to 'second
> phones.'

And how many of these exact situations exist in the whole of UK and are
these cases worth the risk compared to 55 million Brits? You are a
braindead Troll.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Sunday 23 April

<qo9agjx34q.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39139&group=comp.mobile.android#39139

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 10:31:54 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:31 UTC

On 2023-04-09 07:12, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 4/8/23 2:06 PM, sticks wrote:
>
> Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

>>> Well, the reason for the alert ringing bypassing keep silent modes is
>>> that the phone is alerting of a life and death situation coming. Ok,
>>> seems fair enough.
>>>
>>> Then they are testing the alert, and warning way in advance so that
>>> people know that their phones will ring loudly on the 23rd. Seems
>>> fair enough.
>>>
>>> The ministry maybe thought that there are imbeciles who will disable
>>> the alerts because they don't want to be bothered (and causing
>>> trouble to rescue teams subsequently), so decided to make impossible
>>> to disable the alert. Seems fair enough.
>>>
>>> But then, there are people for which the phone emitting a sound is a
>>> direct life and death danger. The ministry of whatever did not think
>>> of those people. Phones have to be able to disable any such sound.
>>>
>>> These people may have to power off their phones that day.
>
> And what about unplanned "disasters"?  Godzilla terrorizing the town,
> for instance.

As said, those people or another people in their vicinity will normally
have a normal phone. But this one has to remain silent and not be found,
because if it is found it is a direct risk of death, just because the
government is testing the system.

>> Feel free to allow other people, bureaucrats, and governments to tell
>> you what to them is a life and death situation that you must be made
>> aware of and take over the control of your phone.
>> I prefer to tell them to fuck off and keep their hands out of my stuff.
>> I'll decide what I want to see or hear.
>
> Indeed.  I've lived in SoCalif all my life and have never experienced
> ANY "disaster"  (we've had some fairly impressive earthquakes and fires)
> that would have warranted even an ordinary phone call, much less
> something that could actually be life threatening.  Big Brother does NOT
> know best.

Well, I was alerted to a hurricane in my vicinity.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<i2aagjx37q.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39140&group=comp.mobile.android#39140

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 10:37:06 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:37 UTC

On 2023-04-09 10:31, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 08.04.23 um 00:36 schrieb &y:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:58:29 -0400, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Why don't you let it work for a while and see if it is so terrible
>>> you'll need to go live like a hermit somewhere wearing sackcloth?
>>
>> No, there are genuine concerns that these wireless alerts are going to put
>> domestic abuse victims in danger by alerting violent partners to 'second
>> phones.'
>
> And how many of these exact situations exist in the whole of UK and are
> these cases worth the risk compared to 55 million Brits? You are a
> braindead Troll.

No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0u1o3$33fts$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39141&group=comp.mobile.android#39141

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:49:55 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 09:49 UTC

Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.

I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.
The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...
Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
than others.

How does the Spanish Government handle this?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Sunday 23 April

<0ryYL.122462$T%ac.104190@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39142&group=comp.mobile.android#39142

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:44:44 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 12:44 UTC

On 2023-04-09 04:31, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 08.04.23 um 00:36 schrieb &y:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:58:29 -0400, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Why don't you let it work for a while and see if it is so terrible
>>> you'll need to go live like a hermit somewhere wearing sackcloth?
>>
>> No, there are genuine concerns that these wireless alerts are going to put
>> domestic abuse victims in danger by alerting violent partners to 'second
>> phones.'
>
> And how many of these exact situations exist in the whole of UK and are
> these cases worth the risk compared to 55 million Brits? You are a
> braindead Troll.

I guess the notion that, even in the case where they can be suppressed
(US), most people will leave these alerts on, sort of flew over your head?

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Sunday 23 April

<k9fsidF6qpjU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39143&group=comp.mobile.android#39143

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:23:24 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 13:23 UTC

On 2023-04-09 11:49, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
>> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
>> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
>> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>
> I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.
> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
> warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...
> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
> than others.
>
> How does the Spanish Government handle this?

Dunno. I'm not working underground, covert, nor I am an endangered
person. I did not realize till yesterday that there were people that
needed to silence all sounds.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<WRAYL.2353317$GNG9.973639@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39144&group=comp.mobile.android#39144

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:29:58 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:29 UTC

On 2023-04-09 09:23, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-04-09 11:49, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
>>> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
>>> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
>>> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>>
>> I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.
>> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
>> warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...
>> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
>> than others.
>>
>> How does the Spanish Government handle this?
>
> Dunno. I'm not working underground, covert, nor I am an endangered
> person. I did not realize till yesterday that there were people that
> needed to silence all sounds.

"People stumble upon the truth from time to time, but then stand up and
carry on as if nothing happened."
-Winston Churchill (and others).

I guess Joerg is a "carry on" sort ...

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0umva$1p7ca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39145&group=comp.mobile.android#39145

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:52:08 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:52 UTC

On 4/9/23 6:23 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-04-09 11:49, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
>>> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
>>> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
>>> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>>
>> I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.
>> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
>> warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...
>> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
>> than others.
>>
>> How does the Spanish Government handle this?
>
> Dunno. I'm not working underground, covert, nor I am an endangered
> person. I did not realize till yesterday that there were people that
> needed to silence all sounds.

Neither had I, although a moment's thought... Parents with babies who
FINALLY went to sleep. People playing hide-and-seek. People who have
excessive flinch reactions to sudden noises. People who just don't want
to be alerted about things that probably won't matter at all to them.
People who regard their phones as tools for THEIR convenience, not as
leashes connected to anyone who wants to bother them.

I remember back in Olden Tymes when being in your car meant that nobody
could get at you. My very first cell experience: my boss asked me to
use his car to go pick up something for him at nnn Mountain. No such
number. I knew ANOTHER Mountain street. No such number there either,
so I used his car-phone to call him and chew him out. He was a good
boss and knew when he deserved such things. Yeah, it was the third
Mountain. We have way too many same-name streets.

--
Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really

Re: Sunday 23 April

<DhBYL.2036636$9sn9.450332@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39146&group=comp.mobile.android#39146

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:59:31 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:59 UTC

On 2023-04-09 11:52, The Real Bev wrote:
> boss and knew when he deserved such things.  Yeah, it was the third
> Mountain.  We have way too many same-name streets.

Look up "City tears down man’s Atlanta house after sending warnings to
wrong address"

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0uu0e$1q9o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39147&group=comp.mobile.android#39147

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:52:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7nn6DTU8CE6g/Phh7n1ZWg1mBWo=
 by: Chris - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:52 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 08.04.23 um 00:36 schrieb &y:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:58:29 -0400, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Why don't you let it work for a while and see if it is so terrible
>>> you'll need to go live like a hermit somewhere wearing sackcloth?
>>
>> No, there are genuine concerns that these wireless alerts are going to put
>> domestic abuse victims in danger by alerting violent partners to 'second
>> phones.'
>
> And how many of these exact situations exist in the whole of UK and are
> these cases worth the risk compared to 55 million Brits? You are a
> braindead Troll.

The numbers are clearly unimportant here. It's simply a test so no risk to
the general public of allowing those where it really matters not to have
the alert sound.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0uu0e$1q9o1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39148&group=comp.mobile.android#39148

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:52:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:69h6hfg6Lz6l12I9+I69gLXSkic=
 by: Chris - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:52 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
>> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
>> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
>> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>
> I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.

What legal liability? There is none.

> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
> warnings wait around the next corner.

Sue, on what grounds?

> Millions of taxpayer money ...
> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
> than others.
>
> How does the Spanish Government handle this?

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0v4eh.nm0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39149&group=comp.mobile.android#39149

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 9 Apr 2023 17:52:19 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:52 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
> > No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
> > government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
> > of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>
> I strongly disagree. Simply because of the legal liability.
> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
> warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...
> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
> than others.
>
> How does the Spanish Government handle this?

I'm not in Spain, but you said it's impossible to turn off these kind
of emergency broadcast alerts [1]. Well, on my Dutch phone, a Samsung
Galaxy A51, I can turn off all broadcast channels or enable only a list
of channels which I can specify.

And yes, this actually works, because this is a dual-SIM phone which
has two Dutch SIMs and the second SIM doesn't give alerts because its
broadcast channels have been turned off.

[1]
<JL>
Turn your "smartphone" off. If it is CB (Cell Broadcast) there is no
other way to escape. That is the idea btw.
</JL>

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0v4vv.nm0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39150&group=comp.mobile.android#39150

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 9 Apr 2023 17:52:19 GMT

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-04-09 07:12, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

> > Indeed.  I've lived in SoCalif all my life and have never experienced
> > ANY "disaster"  (we've had some fairly impressive earthquakes and fires)
> > that would have warranted even an ordinary phone call, much less
> > something that could actually be life threatening.  Big Brother does NOT
> > know best.
>
> Well, I was alerted to a hurricane in my vicinity.

During the lifetime of my current phone - a bit over one and a half
year - I got one alert for extreme weather ("Stay indoors.") and one for
a fire with lots of smoke on the road, but that was rather some distance
away.

We had two close-by earthquakes during holidays in Greece and Austria,
but then we didn't have (they probably did not yet exist) a mobile
phone.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u0v537$1r744$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39151&group=comp.mobile.android#39151

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:53:12 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 19:53 UTC

On 4/9/2023 4:49 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 09.04.23 um 10:37 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
>> No, they deserve attention and thought and a solution from their
>> government. Neglecting them is criminal - more so because this is a test
>> of the system, not a risk to 53 million brits.
>
> I strongly disagree.

Well that's it then. Joerg Lorenz STRONGLY disagrees.
I match your strongly and raise you another strongly.

> Simply because of the legal liability.
> The lawyers who want to sue the government for allowing to turn off
> warnings wait around the next corner. Millions of taxpayer money ...

Yeah, right. Before you click on just about anything these days, you
have to click on a icon that says you've read and understood the risks,
your rights, and still have chosen to proceed.

> Obviously other European countries and Canada seem to be more clever
> than others.

The EU is being used as a scapegoat for the individual nations in this
effort towards globalization. You call it clever, I would call it evil.
Canada isn't clever at all. They just no longer care under the
leadership of Castro's son. In the US, we are shocked at the loss of
individual liberties in Canada. It's Justin Castro's way, or keep the
hell out of the country.

> How does the Spanish Government handle this?

I'm sure they will do whatever the EU says as long as they don't
interfere with the Bullfighting or the afternoon siestas. Hahahaha

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u118gv$27csi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39152&group=comp.mobile.android#39152

From: not.my.r...@email.address (Auric__)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:04:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Auric__ - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:04 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

>>> Indeed.� I've lived in SoCalif all my life and have never experienced
>>> ANY "disaster"� (we've had some fairly impressive earthquakes and fires)
>>> that would have warranted even an ordinary phone call, much less
>>> something that could actually be life threatening.� Big Brother does NOT
>>> know best.
>>
>> Well, I was alerted to a hurricane in my vicinity.
>
> During the lifetime of my current phone - a bit over one and a half
> year - I got one alert for extreme weather ("Stay indoors.") and one for
> a fire with lots of smoke on the road, but that was rather some distance
> away.
>
> We had two close-by earthquakes during holidays in Greece and Austria,
> but then we didn't have (they probably did not yet exist) a mobile
> phone.

No matter where you live, a different type of disaster is possible.

Some are volcanos, others earthquakes, some hurricanes or tornadoes, or
even atmospheric rivers and man-made disasters such as floods and
shootings. Maybe the power went out, or there is a nuclear war.

I prefer not to have my phone tell me in advance.
But there are lots of people who want their phone to tell them about it.

That's why there should be a setting to turn them off.

My Android 12 has settings for Setings > Safety & Emergency which has
settings for Medical info, Emergency contacts, Send SOS messages, Wireless
emergency alerts, Emergency Location Service, Earthquake alerts, Silence
notifications while driving & Emergency mode.

Most have sub settings. For example, the Wireless emergency alerts has
National alerts, Extreme threats, Severe threats, AMBER alerts, Public
safety message along with settings for Emergency alert history, Vibration
settings, Alert reminder settings & Speak alert message settings.

Everything is empty or turned off but I always thought there were some
alerts you can't turn off - but I didn't see anything that was turned on.

--
Everyone lost to the hero Gotham thinks it needs to deserve to have.

Re: Sunday 23 April

<u11dqu$285pr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39153&group=comp.mobile.android#39153

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:34:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Xpc+XoIf2t032uHF0WlDbTyNoog=
 by: Chris - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:34 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-04-09 07:12, The Real Bev wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> Indeed.  I've lived in SoCalif all my life and have never experienced
>>> ANY "disaster"  (we've had some fairly impressive earthquakes and fires)
>>> that would have warranted even an ordinary phone call, much less
>>> something that could actually be life threatening.  Big Brother does NOT
>>> know best.
>>
>> Well, I was alerted to a hurricane in my vicinity.
>
> During the lifetime of my current phone - a bit over one and a half
> year - I got one alert for extreme weather ("Stay indoors.") and one for
> a fire with lots of smoke on the road, but that was rather some distance
> away.
>
> We had two close-by earthquakes during holidays in Greece and Austria,
> but then we didn't have (they probably did not yet exist) a mobile
> phone.

I just found out that the alert sound is different in different countries.
If you have a UK phone in Italy which sound do you get?

Re: Sunday 23 April

<7e6egjxe3g.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39154&group=comp.mobile.android#39154

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:59:35 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:59 UTC

On 2023-04-10 17:04, Auric__ wrote:

>>> Well, I was alerted to a hurricane in my vicinity.
>>
>> During the lifetime of my current phone - a bit over one and a half
>> year - I got one alert for extreme weather ("Stay indoors.") and one for
>> a fire with lots of smoke on the road, but that was rather some distance
>> away.
>>
>> We had two close-by earthquakes during holidays in Greece and Austria,
>> but then we didn't have (they probably did not yet exist) a mobile
>> phone.
>
> No matter where you live, a different type of disaster is possible.
>
> Some are volcanos, others earthquakes, some hurricanes or tornadoes, or
> even atmospheric rivers and man-made disasters such as floods and
> shootings. Maybe the power went out, or there is a nuclear war.
>
> I prefer not to have my phone tell me in advance.
> But there are lots of people who want their phone to tell them about it.
>
> That's why there should be a setting to turn them off.
>
> My Android 12 has settings for Setings > Safety & Emergency which has
> settings for Medical info, Emergency contacts, Send SOS messages, Wireless
> emergency alerts, Emergency Location Service, Earthquake alerts, Silence
> notifications while driving & Emergency mode.
>
> Most have sub settings. For example, the Wireless emergency alerts has
> National alerts, Extreme threats, Severe threats, AMBER alerts, Public
> safety message along with settings for Emergency alert history, Vibration
> settings, Alert reminder settings & Speak alert message settings.
>
> Everything is empty or turned off but I always thought there were some
> alerts you can't turn off - but I didn't see anything that was turned on.

I just looked and I can disable them all, or only disable those for
"extreme external danger to life and property". Doesn't say what other
kind there may be. It offers no help or explanation. But if I fill the
box to search for "alerts" I see texts that all go to the general setup.
One of the texts mentions "alert drills".

Then there is an app for "wireless alerts" which perhaps can be
uninstalled or disabled, or maybe not. I do not see the button, maybe
needs root mode.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Sunday 23 April