"Ahead warp factor 1" -- Captain Kirk

computers / comp.mobile.android / Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

SubjectAuthor
* Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?micky
+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Brian Gregory
|`* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
| +- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Java Jive
| +* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
| |`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
| `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Chris in Makati
|  `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|   `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?KenW
|    `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|     +* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?KenW
|     |`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|     `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?sticks
|      `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?KenW
|       `- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?sticks
+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?micky
||+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|||`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
||`* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|| `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?micky
||  `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
||   `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
||    +- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?KenW
||    `- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
| `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|  `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|   `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Frank Slootweg
|    `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?AJL
|     +* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|     |+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?AJL
|     ||+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     |||`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?AJL
|     ||`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Frank Slootweg
|     |+* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     ||`* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?VanguardLH
|     || `- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     |`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Frank Slootweg
|     +* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     |`* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Ken Blake
|     | +* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Frank Slootweg
|     | |`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     | `- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
|     `* Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Frank Slootweg
|      `- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?AJL
+- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Joerg Lorenz
`- Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?Bob F

Pages:12
Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<p6764id5iv539ntl8ivfeefaeuimgef95d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39361&group=comp.mobile.android#39361

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:32:49 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 23:32 UTC

Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
taps 7.

Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<kagml9Fbk2tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39362&group=comp.mobile.android#39362

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 01:04:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:04 UTC

On 22/04/2023 00:32, micky wrote:
> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
> taps 7.
>
> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

No.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<rpvayl22tu0f.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39363&group=comp.mobile.android#39363

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:09:20 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:09 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
> taps 7.
>
> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

Mint Mobile is an MVNO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator

Whatever voicemail you get is with the actual carrier. Could be
Verizon, AT&T, etc. With my MVNO (Tracfone), they gave me an AT&T
account although they're pushing me to switch to Verizon after Verizon
acquired them. With Verizon's voicemail, yep, 7 is for delete, and you
can only delete one message at a time instead of clearing out all old
messages. I think Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's service.

You can get an idea of which actual carrier you are one for which MVNO
you use by looking at:

https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<3ca64i9un8erv5db9ch463h8n5omovcbdo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39364&group=comp.mobile.android#39364

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:37:26 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:37 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:09:20 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>> taps 7.
>>
>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>
>Mint Mobile is an MVNO.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator
>
>Whatever voicemail you get is with the actual carrier. Could be

Well, I was trying to get my brother to delete his voicemail so it
wasn't always full, and I blurted out 7, because that's what I use. I
had asked my brother, a while back, and I think he said xfinity. So I
just now looked up the commands for xfinity voicemail and it says 7 is
Delete, but no where on the page does doe it say if it's talking about
cellphones or VOIP phones. Or both. I would think they would use the
same commands for both if it was possible, but they should be explicit.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-voicemail-while-traveling.
Oh shoot, while traveling means it's not the cell phone. I had
misspelled cellular in the search page
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-access-voicemail-android-phone
but unlike the previous, there is no link to the commands. Maybe he'll
listen to the recording. Don't all the companies have a recordign that
says what numbers do what commands?

I guess I'll wait until my brother tries 7 and if he says it didn't
work, I'll ask him again what cellular company he has.

He's hard to reach. A couple months ago he went to Peru without telling
me. I kept calling and his voice mail was full, again. Finally I
called his wife's son who said that Whatsapp would work, but he didn't
answer, so I sent a text, but he only sees that if he turns the phone
on.

>Verizon, AT&T, etc. With my MVNO (Tracfone), they gave me an AT&T
>account although they're pushing me to switch to Verizon after Verizon
>acquired them. With Verizon's voicemail, yep, 7 is for delete, and you
>can only delete one message at a time instead of clearing out all old
>messages. I think Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's service.

Yes.

>You can get an idea of which actual carrier you are one for which MVNO
>you use by looking at:
>
>https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/

Thanks.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<1ii0me7gzkt7p$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39365&group=comp.mobile.android#39365

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:49:31 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:49 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:09:20 -0500, VanguardLH
> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>>> taps 7.
>>>
>>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>>
>>Mint Mobile is an MVNO.
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator
>>
>>Whatever voicemail you get is with the actual carrier. Could be
>
> Well, I was trying to get my brother to delete his voicemail so it
> wasn't always full, and I blurted out 7, because that's what I use. I
> had asked my brother, a while back, and I think he said xfinity. So I
> just now looked up the commands for xfinity voicemail and it says 7 is
> Delete, but no where on the page does doe it say if it's talking about
> cellphones or VOIP phones. Or both. I would think they would use the
> same commands for both if it was possible, but they should be explicit.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-voicemail-while-traveling.
> Oh shoot, while traveling means it's not the cell phone. I had
> misspelled cellular in the search page
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-access-voicemail-android-phone
> but unlike the previous, there is no link to the commands. Maybe he'll
> listen to the recording. Don't all the companies have a recordign that
> says what numbers do what commands?
>
> I guess I'll wait until my brother tries 7 and if he says it didn't
> work, I'll ask him again what cellular company he has.
>
> He's hard to reach. A couple months ago he went to Peru without telling
> me. I kept calling and his voice mail was full, again. Finally I
> called his wife's son who said that Whatsapp would work, but he didn't
> answer, so I sent a text, but he only sees that if he turns the phone
> on.
>
>>Verizon, AT&T, etc. With my MVNO (Tracfone), they gave me an AT&T
>>account although they're pushing me to switch to Verizon after Verizon
>>acquired them. With Verizon's voicemail, yep, 7 is for delete, and you
>>can only delete one message at a time instead of clearing out all old
>>messages. I think Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's service.
>
> Yes.
>>
>>You can get an idea of which actual carrier you are one for which MVNO
>>you use by looking at:
>>
>>https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/
>
> Thanks.

There is no way to force anyone to listen to their voicemail, pare it
down via deletes, or even enable it (if they have the option to use a
cellular service without enabling voicemail). No one is forced to
respond to texts or calls, either. If your brother wants to be in
cognito, you can't change his end to foist calls or messages on him.
You want to communicate with your brother. Your brother doesn't seem
interested in talking to anyone.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<pefs4gnqots6.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39366&group=comp.mobile.android#39366

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:54:07 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:54 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>> taps 7.
>>
>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>
> No.

Which ones use something other than 7, or are you just guessing that
some would differ from each other?

If you use an actual carrier, which one? We can probably find their
help article saying how to use their voicemail service.

If you use an MVNO, they assign you to a real carrier, so which one?
Again, once your actual carrier is known then their voicemail
instructions might be online to check.

If you use an MVNO but don't know to which actual carrier you've been
assigned, look at the APN data in the Android settings under mobile
networks on your phone.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vc0o$2verk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39367&group=comp.mobile.android#39367

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 02:07:34 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 01:07 UTC

On 22/04/2023 01:54, VanguardLH wrote:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>>> taps 7.
>>>
>>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>>
>> No.
>
> Which ones use something other than 7, or are you just guessing that
> some would differ from each other?

IME, most in the UK use '3' to delete the mail that you're listening to.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vkvg$3jrhm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39368&group=comp.mobile.android#39368

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:40:32 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 03:40 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 02:54 schrieb VanguardLH:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>>> taps 7.
>>>
>>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>>
>> No.
>
> Which ones use something other than 7, or are you just guessing that
> some would differ from each other?

Swisscom uses 3.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vkvr$3jrhm$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39369&group=comp.mobile.android#39369

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:40:43 +0200

Am 22.04.23 um 01:32 schrieb micky:
> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
> taps 7.
>
> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

No.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vl24$3jrhm$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39370&group=comp.mobile.android#39370

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:41:56 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 03:41 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 02:09 schrieb VanguardLH:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>> taps 7.
>>
>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>
> Mint Mobile is an MVNO.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator

Irrelevant.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vl7e$3jrhm$4@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39371&group=comp.mobile.android#39371

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:44:46 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 03:44 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 02:37 schrieb micky:
> Well, I was trying to get my brother to delete his voicemail so it
> wasn't always full,

You are discussing this for years now. It is obvious that he does not
care for whatever reason and that is none of your business. Especially
when you made him aware of the fact.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vlc5$3jrhm$5@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39372&group=comp.mobile.android#39372

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:47:17 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 03:47 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 02:49 schrieb VanguardLH:
> There is no way to force anyone to listen to their voicemail, pare it
> down via deletes, or even enable it (if they have the option to use a
> cellular service without enabling voicemail). No one is forced to
> respond to texts or calls, either.

Nothing to add.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<12rt5116gjfp0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39373&group=comp.mobile.android#39373

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:39:36 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:39 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 22.04.23 um 02:09 schrieb VanguardLH:
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>>> taps 7.
>>>
>>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>>
>> Mint Mobile is an MVNO.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator
>
> Irrelevant.

The point is NOT to contact the MVNO to ask how their voicemail works,
because they don't provide voicemail. The actual carrier they assign to
you is where you get voicemail service, so find out from the actual
carrier what they say, or what their online help says, if available.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<1fwhwi1fkf41n.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39374&group=comp.mobile.android#39374

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:42:58 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:42 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> VanguardLH:
>
>> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Which ones use something other than 7, or are you just guessing that
>> some would differ from each other?
>
> Swisscom uses 3.

Maybe it's a regional or national de facto standard, like 911 is used
here (USA, Canada) while it's 112 in Europe. By region, the emergency
number varies a LOT.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/students-abroad/pdfs/911_ABROAD.pdf

Guess it's the same regarding voicemail prompts.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u1vsmn$3jul4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39375&group=comp.mobile.android#39375

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:52:23 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:52 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 07:39 schrieb VanguardLH:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>> Mint Mobile is an MVNO.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator
>>
>> Irrelevant.
>
> The point is NOT to contact the MVNO to ask how their voicemail works,
> because they don't provide voicemail. The actual carrier they assign to
> you is where you get voicemail service, so find out from the actual
> carrier what they say, or what their online help says, if available.

Voicemail is a part of the service package that is sold to the user
by the MVNO. MVNO does not mean no service or support.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<j9274ihl2vaiitfbplvjvj41gkl3vh93mb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39377&group=comp.mobile.android#39377

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 03:16:16 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:16 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:44:46 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 22.04.23 um 02:37 schrieb micky:
>> Well, I was trying to get my brother to delete his voicemail so it
>> wasn't always full,
>
>You are discussing this for years now.

Months actually. And y ou keep giving the same sort of baseless
answer.

> It is obvious that he does not
>care for whatever reason and that is none of your business. Especially
>when you made him aware of the fact.

LOL. Amazing that you have never met my brother and yet you think you
know more about him than I do. This probably says a lot about your
understanding of other questions too.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u20n73$3qfo7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39379&group=comp.mobile.android#39379

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:24:51 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:24 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 09:16 schrieb micky:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:44:46 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
>> It is obvious that he does not
>> care for whatever reason and that is none of your business. Especially
>> when you made him aware of the fact.
>
> LOL. Amazing that you have never met my brother and yet you think you
> know more about him than I do. This probably says a lot about your
> understanding of other questions too.

You completely fail to understand your brother. And even more so what is
your business and what not.

Why do you think this NG can solve your social issues?

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<1bzuvqrnwlg00$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39381&group=comp.mobile.android#39381

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:52:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 17:52 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> micky:
>
>> Joerg Lorenz
>>
>>> It is obvious that he does not care for whatever reason and that is
>>> none of your business. Especially when you made him aware of the
>>> fact.
>>
>> LOL. Amazing that you have never met my brother and yet you think you
>> know more about him than I do. This probably says a lot about your
>> understanding of other questions too.
>
> You completely fail to understand your brother. And even more so what
> is your business and what not.
>
> Why do you think this NG can solve your social issues?

At most, we might be able to help micky, but we can do nothing for his
brother that doesn't visit here, and doesn't intend to facilitate
contact with micky, or anyone else. Some folks only want outgoing
access with their phones.

micky can tell his brother (if he ever manages to contact him) why it is
difficult to reach his brother when micky decides to try, but there
isn't anything we can tell micky to do on his end to circumvent his
brother's decisions regarding his comm services. Unless his brother
grants micky access to his voicemail (by giving micky the password or
PIN) to do maintenance, knowing which key deletes messages won't help,
because his brother won't clean up his voicemail.

Every voicemail system I've used has help. There will be a message when
connecting to voicemail about how to use it, and it will say which keys
do what. So, whatever is the delete key can be ascertained by using the
voicemail help prompts. His bro can determine how to do the cleaning if
his bro decides to do so. I know some folks that deliberately keep
their voicemail full to prevent receiving new messages. They don't want
to use voicemail, but cannot turn it off. I use an MVNO, but I can't
get AT&T to anything, because I don't have an account at AT&T, and the
MVNO with whom I do have an account cannot do anything at AT&T (or with
whichever carrier they assign me). Often the messages will expire after
some time, but then new ones show up to fill up the voicemail inbox
again.

We can suggest what micky can suggest to his bro, but we cannot tell
micky how to override his bro's decisions. If voicemail is full,
because his bro won't delete messages, try texting him. Voicemail
usually has a far smaller quota than texts.

Hmm. Are there any cellular carriers that have voicemail service that
do not have SMS texting service? Seems SMS is easier on the carrier
regarding resources needed for the service than is voicemail.

Micky's brother doesn't need micky to tell the bro what key to use to
delete voicemail messages. His bro's voicemail can tell him which keys
do what action.

If his bro's voicemail is full (will not accept further messages) then
try texting him. My understanding is the carrier does not hold onto the
SMS texts, but merely forwards them. If you want to keep old texts, you
have to keep them on your phone. SMS are stored in a database in the
data folder located in the internal storage of the phone. The location
of the database may vary between phones, but the texts are stored on the
phone, not at the carrier.

https://www.fonepaw.com/tips/where-are-text-messages-stored-android.html

There might be a limit to the number of records in the database, or the
size of the database, but very likely you can store a hell of a lot more
texts on your phone than you get for the number or storage capacity for
voicemail messages.

Hey, micky, does your bro also ignore texts from you, too?

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<1c884ip1rvd23r4rooearade9ltl0d41t0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39383&group=comp.mobile.android#39383

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:04:13 -0600
 by: KenW - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 18:04 UTC

2 x Micky God help us !

> [...]
>try texting him. My understanding is the carrier does not hold onto the
>SMS texts, but merely forwards them. If you want to keep old texts, you
>have to keep them on your phone. SMS are stored in a database in the
>data folder located in the internal storage of the phone. The location
>of the database may vary between phones, but the texts are stored on the
>phone, not at the carrier.
>
>https://www.fonepaw.com/tips/where-are-text-messages-stored-android.html
>
>There might be a limit to the number of records in the database, or the
>size of the database, but very likely you can store a hell of a lot more
>texts on your phone than you get for the number or storage capacity for
>voicemail messages.
>
>Hey, micky, does your bro also ignore texts from you, too?

KenW

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<93v94ilofj7na9cio5jfeuep8peb7t2aj5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39386&group=comp.mobile.android#39386

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 10:39:28 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:39 UTC

On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:54:07 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> Usilng voice-mail on Mint Mobile, if one wants to delete a voicemail, he
>>> taps 7.
>>>
>>> Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?
>>
>> No.
>
>Which ones use something other than 7, or are you just guessing that
>some would differ from each other?
>
>If you use an actual carrier, which one? We can probably find their
>help article saying how to use their voicemail service.

Sky Mobile use 3 to delete messages.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<l2e8liibtun1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39387&group=comp.mobile.android#39387

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:34:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 19:34 UTC

Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Which ones use something other than 7 ...
>
> Sky Mobile use 3 to delete messages.

I wish they had a key for deleting ALL messages, and without having to
start playback. If there are, say, 20 messages, you have to begin the
playback of each to hit 7, 3, or whatever to delete just that message.
Then repeat 19 more times for delete all the other messages, but one at
a time. It's a tiresome task. They really need a key that will empty
the entire voicemail inbox at once of all messages with no playback.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<6f4b4idnv63kv13rafdvfl86hi09ch8ism@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39388&group=comp.mobile.android#39388

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:16:52 -0600
 by: KenW - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 20:16 UTC

On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 14:34:55 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Which ones use something other than 7 ...
>>
>> Sky Mobile use 3 to delete messages.
>
>I wish they had a key for deleting ALL messages, and without having to
>start playback. If there are, say, 20 messages, you have to begin the
>playback of each to hit 7, 3, or whatever to delete just that message.
>Then repeat 19 more times for delete all the other messages, but one at
>a time. It's a tiresome task. They really need a key that will empty
>the entire voicemail inbox at once of all messages with no playback.

What to do if deleted everything by accident ? Oh! that is another
key.

KenW

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<1x06r2bhjbt2m.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39389&group=comp.mobile.android#39389

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:11:51 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 23:11 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> I wish they had a key for deleting ALL messages, and without having
>> to start playback. If there are, say, 20 messages, you have to
>> begin the playback of each to hit 7, 3, or whatever to delete just
>> that message. Then repeat 19 more times for delete all the other
>> messages, but one at a time. It's a tiresome task. They really
>> need a key that will empty the entire voicemail inbox at once of all
>> messages with no playback.
>
> What to do if deleted everything by accident ? Oh! that is another
> key.

Not sure it is a feature of all voicemail systems, but mine (with AT&T
through an MVNO) has the option to undelete. I don't know how long the
undelete cache is kept alive, though. Of course, they could implement a
2-key scheme: one key to delete all, and a followup key to confirm the
all-delete action.

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<gueb4ih3jv1c7sag65j3l6mcoo7ib8dlfb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39390&group=comp.mobile.android#39390

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 17:17:06 -0600
 by: KenW - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 23:17 UTC

On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:11:51 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> I wish they had a key for deleting ALL messages, and without having
>>> to start playback. If there are, say, 20 messages, you have to
>>> begin the playback of each to hit 7, 3, or whatever to delete just
>>> that message. Then repeat 19 more times for delete all the other
>>> messages, but one at a time. It's a tiresome task. They really
>>> need a key that will empty the entire voicemail inbox at once of all
>>> messages with no playback.
>>
>> What to do if deleted everything by accident ? Oh! that is another
>> key.
>
>Not sure it is a feature of all voicemail systems, but mine (with AT&T
>through an MVNO) has the option to undelete. I don't know how long the
>undelete cache is kept alive, though. Of course, they could implement a
>2-key scheme: one key to delete all, and a followup key to confirm the
>all-delete action.

I repaired Voice Mail Systems as a part of my job. I do not remember
any undo code there either. I do not get many VMs on my home phone and
have them turned off on my cell.

KenW

Re: Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?

<u24g68$lm1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39391&group=comp.mobile.android#39391

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:49:29 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 23:49 UTC

On 4/23/2023 6:11 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> I wish they had a key for deleting ALL messages, and without having
>>> to start playback. If there are, say, 20 messages, you have to
>>> begin the playback of each to hit 7, 3, or whatever to delete just
>>> that message. Then repeat 19 more times for delete all the other
>>> messages, but one at a time. It's a tiresome task. They really
>>> need a key that will empty the entire voicemail inbox at once of all
>>> messages with no playback.
>>
>> What to do if deleted everything by accident ? Oh! that is another
>> key.
>
> Not sure it is a feature of all voicemail systems, but mine (with AT&T
> through an MVNO) has the option to undelete. I don't know how long the
> undelete cache is kept alive, though. Of course, they could implement a
> 2-key scheme: one key to delete all, and a followup key to confirm the
> all-delete action.

My t-Mobile puts them in a folder of deleted messages and I think it is
30 days until they're gone.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Do all cellular companies use 7 for deleting?