"Nuclear war would really set back cable." -- Ted Turner

computers / comp.mobile.android / Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T
+* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E. R.
|+* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?AJL
||`* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E. R.
|| `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Michael
||  `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E.R
||   `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Michael
||    `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E.R.
||     `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Michael
||      `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Joerg Lorenz
||       `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E.R.
||        `- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Frank Slootweg
|+* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?mike
||`* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T
|| `- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?mike
|`* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T
| +- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Carlos E. R.
| `- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?VanguardLH
|`* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?VanguardLH
| `- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Theo
`* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?VanguardLH
 `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T
  +- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?Joerg Lorenz
  `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?VanguardLH
   `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T
    `* Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?VanguardLH
     `- Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?T

Pages:12
Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u366d8$2v3u0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39642&group=comp.mobile.android#39642

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 11:31:04 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 6 May 2023 18:31 UTC

Hi All,

Does anyone know of an android tablet that is

1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and

2) no spying (Samsung, etc.) build in or otherwise?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<kbnpegFeb8pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39648&group=comp.mobile.android#39648

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 21:51:44 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 6 May 2023 19:51 UTC

On 2023-05-06 20:31, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>
> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and

If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<almarsoft.4300562987923549575@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39651&group=comp.mobile.android#39651

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 13:44:40 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 6 May 2023 20:44 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain
> things from google.

This Amazon Fire OS (Android) tablet I'm posting
with didn't have anything Google when I got it.
Course I immediately side loaded it. Best of both
worlds: Google AND Amazon... ;)

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u36eiq$8m77$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39652&group=comp.mobile.android#39652

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 02:21:00 +0530
 by: mike - Sat, 6 May 2023 20:51 UTC

On 07-05-2023 01:21 "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
> You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.

You can set up a degoogled android on any phone/tablet if you look up how.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroG
https://gofoss.net/lineageos/

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<kbnt3pFf0akU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39653&group=comp.mobile.android#39653

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 22:54:17 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 6 May 2023 20:54 UTC

On 2023-05-06 22:44, AJL wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain
>> things from google.
>
> This Amazon Fire OS (Android) tablet I'm posting
> with didn't have anything Google when I got it.
> Course I immediately side loaded it. Best of both
> worlds: Google AND Amazon...  ;)

Now that you mention that, I did have a cheap tablet that came without
Google Play. Instead it came with another installer tool using packs
from another site - sorry, I don't remember which, and the site is dead
anyway.

So a google account was not needed, and thus any google tool or api in
it could not tie what it found to a person.

Till I installed Google Play. That thing lacked many apps and updates.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u36fbs$30hfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39654&group=comp.mobile.android#39654

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:03:56 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:03 UTC

On 5/6/23 12:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-05-06 20:31, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>>
>> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and
>
> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
> You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.

I have been thinking about that. Do you have a
favorite one?

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u36ffu$30hfl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39655&group=comp.mobile.android#39655

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:06:06 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:06 UTC

On 5/6/23 13:51, mike wrote:
> On 07-05-2023 01:21 "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
>> You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.
>
> You can set up a degoogled android on any phone/tablet if you look up how.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroG
> https://gofoss.net/lineageos/

Cool!

Know of anyone that sells tablet that way?

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<kbnug4Ff0anU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39656&group=comp.mobile.android#39656

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 23:17:56 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:17 UTC

On 2023-05-06 23:03, T wrote:
> On 5/6/23 12:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-05-06 20:31, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>>>
>>> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and
>>
>> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
>> You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.
>>

> I have been thinking about that.  Do you have a
> favorite one?

Nope. Small as a tablet and with touch screen, certainly. Lenovo has
them. The keyboard folds back. They typically come with Windows.

But not what I call a tablet.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u36r53$3o$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39660&group=comp.mobile.android#39660

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 18:25:33 -0600
 by: Michael - Sun, 7 May 2023 00:25 UTC

On Sat, 6 May 2023 22:54:17 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Till I installed Google Play. That thing lacked many apps and updates.

Is there an app you can install on Android using the Google Play Store app
that you can't install on Android without using the Google Play Store app?

I don't know of any.
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u36rh6$86db$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39661&group=comp.mobile.android#39661

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 06:02:00 +0530
 by: mike - Sun, 7 May 2023 00:32 UTC

On 06-05-2023 15:06 T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> If it is an Android tablet, it will always contain things from google.
>>> You have to ask for a tablet with Linux instead.
>>
>> You can set up a degoogled android on any phone/tablet if you look up how.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroG
>> https://gofoss.net/lineageos/
>
> Cool!
>
> Know of anyone that sells tablet that way?

Don't you ever search before you post a thread on this group?
https://www.laptopmag.com/features/i-tried-a-de-googled-android-phone-for-a-week

This was talked about multiple times on this group.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/google-free-android-smartphones-are-now-available-in-the-us

I don't see a tablet though - just the de-googled phones for sale.
But I only searched this newsgroup for articles that were already posted.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<kbog2pFhp8qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39662&group=comp.mobile.android#39662

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 04:18:01 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R - Sun, 7 May 2023 02:18 UTC

On 07/05/2023 02.25, Michael wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2023 22:54:17 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Till I installed Google Play. That thing lacked many apps and updates.
>
> Is there an app you can install on Android using the Google Play Store app
> that you can't install on Android without using the Google Play Store app?
>
> I don't know of any.

Well, on that tablet it was not possible to install many things because
the installation tool and repository simply did not have many things.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u3737a$gmq$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39663&group=comp.mobile.android#39663

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 20:43:16 -0600
 by: Michael - Sun, 7 May 2023 02:43 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 04:18:01 +0200, Carlos E.R wrote:

> Well, on that tablet it was not possible to install many things because
> the installation tool and repository simply did not have many things.

I don't agree with your premise so I'm trying to help you understand.
What app do you want to install that you can't install on that tablet.
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<aifkjzjqiz70.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39665&group=comp.mobile.android#39665

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 22:25:10 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 May 2023 03:25 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>
> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and
>
> 2) no spying (Samsung, etc.) build in or otherwise?

Of the suggestions to go to LineageOS, ioDES, microG, and whatnot, be
aware you'll be going down that far less traveled road.

Some things you might want to ask of those proposing changing the OS, or
severely modifying the phone, are:

- Where are the instructions? The projects are available, but
documentation may be missing or minimal (aka unhelpful). Where are
the instructions for outsider newbies?

- Where are the support /active/ communities that discuss those
particular solutions?

Those proposing the changes should also be guiding you to where to get
instructions, and to get peer help. Yes, you'll get suggestions here,
but they likely won't be timely available for technical support. The
suggestions may be doable, but perhaps not desirable. You'll also not
want to putz around with your only or primary Android device, but an
older one that is collecting dust in a drawer. Use a spare for
experiment.

From your post, it doesn't really appear you want to do all the setup
for the suggestions. You want to buy a ready-made de-Googled Android
device. I haven't bothered researching what de-Googled Android phones
are available for purchase. Perhaps those suggesting alternatives might
know where to buy ready-made de-Googled devices (whether they use a
neutered version of Android, or switch to a different OS).

Do you want to do all the work required per the suggestions, so far? Or
do you want buy a device already de-Googled for you? I just did a
search on ready-made devices, but it wasn't an exhaustive or even
intense search. I'd found some offerings, like:

https://de-googled.com/products/degoogled-samsung-galaxy-tab-s6-lite-tablet-lineage-os?variant=42426878754966
They list only 1 de-Googled tablet, and 9 de-Googled phones. They have
no forums to get peer help, and there is a dearth of info at their site,
like viewing how detailed (or vague) are their user manual, especially
considering how different their product will behave from commercial
versions. They might be responsive via their web form, but you won't
know until after buying their product. COnsidering how mobile devices
have traditionally had poor documentation, it might not be any harder to
learn the new de-Googled device than it was to learn the Android device.
Again, you might want to ask those making suggestions to guide you to
where you can ask for help on the different OS. There are no LineageOS
newsgroups, but maybe the suggestors know of forums.

I found other possible retailers of ready-made de-Googled devices by a
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=purchase+degoogled+android+tablet
search. So, they're out there. You can start from scratch while
sacrificing a secondary tablet, and figure it out all by yourself, your
buy a ready-made device, and then figure out how to use it or get help
on it.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<1mb8w1nhnu0wr$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39666&group=comp.mobile.android#39666

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 22:39:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 May 2023 03:39 UTC

Oh, instead of replacing the OS, it might be easier to keep the existing
Android OS, rooting the device, and uninstalling the Google services and
apps that were pre-installed by the phone maker. Others have noted you
can uninstall apps using ADB and package manager, but I'm not sure
anything actually got uninstalled, or just hidden. I don't know if that
method also grants you permission to remove services. Some functions,
like location-base services, can be replaced with an open-source
service. It'll be up to you to find all the non-Google-ized
alternatives.

I've just read about TWRP used for custom recovery, and where you can
uninstall apps and services via a recovery console. Haven't
investigated it yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWRP_(software)

There is an app to update TWRP, but the app page says it requires root
access to do more than an update check on TWRP:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.twrp.twrpapp

Are you having fun yet contemplating all the candidate solutions?

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u37d07$8d86$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39669&group=comp.mobile.android#39669

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 07:29:43 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 7 May 2023 05:29 UTC

https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/4-best-linux-tablets-and-why-you-should-use-one/

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<1lifdgwr3u970$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39676&group=comp.mobile.android#39676

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 06:46:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 May 2023 11:46 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>
> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and
>
> 2) no spying (Samsung, etc.) build in or otherwise?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hmm, you didn't mention your intended use of the tablet. If it doesn't
need the Internet, you could disable its wifi radio. If it has cellular
functionality, you could disable the cellular data function. With no
Internet access, I can't see how any Google app, or any app, or Google
service, or any web-centric service can connect to a Google server, or
any other server. Maybe you will use the tablet as an ebook reader.
You could transfer the ebook file from your desktop via USB cable or
Bluetooth.

If you need Internet access for the tablet, are you looking to do the
work of replacing the Android OS with a different OS (e.g., Lineage OS
w/microG), and finding replacement apps (e.g., non-Google location
services)? Or are you looking to buy a ready-made solution where a
seller has already setup a non-Google OS'ed tablet for you?

Or is this a wish-list item that you don't really plan on implementing,
but just wanted to know something about?

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<hohkijxjal.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39678&group=comp.mobile.android#39678

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 14:22:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 7 May 2023 12:22 UTC

On 2023-05-07 04:43, Michael wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 04:18:01 +0200, Carlos E.R wrote:
>
>> Well, on that tablet it was not possible to install many things because
>> the installation tool and repository simply did not have many things.
>
> I don't agree with your premise so I'm trying to help you understand.
> What app do you want to install that you can't install on that tablet.

I repeat: I could not install anything, and what I could, was obsolete.

That was a decade ago, so don't use the present tense.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<M3D*O4Efz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39687&group=comp.mobile.android#39687

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 07 May 2023 15:41:38 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 7 May 2023 14:41 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Oh, instead of replacing the OS, it might be easier to keep the existing
> Android OS, rooting the device, and uninstalling the Google services and
> apps that were pre-installed by the phone maker. Others have noted you
> can uninstall apps using ADB and package manager, but I'm not sure
> anything actually got uninstalled, or just hidden. I don't know if that
> method also grants you permission to remove services. Some functions,
> like location-base services, can be replaced with an open-source
> service. It'll be up to you to find all the non-Google-ized
> alternatives.

In general you can remove the apps, but it's more difficult to remove the
services like Google Play Services, because a lot of other stuff depends on
them.

Your best bet is either to find an AOSP ROM (only open source code, no
proprietary Google code) or a ROM where somebody has degoogled the original
OEM OS. LineageOS is an example of the first.

From the supported devices list:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/#samsung
the Galaxy Tab A 8.0, S5e and S6 Lite look like contenders. All a few years
old though.

Android tablets are a bit of a mess anyway, few companies beyond Samsung
are trying very hard.

There may be unofficial / alternative OSes that support other hardware, look
at the XDA Developers forums to find them.

> I've just read about TWRP used for custom recovery, and where you can
> uninstall apps and services via a recovery console. Haven't
> investigated it yet.

TWRP is like a 'BIOS' which allows you to run install scripts. You can't
uninstall stuff unless you have a script to do it. You could randomly
delete files I suppose, but not if you don't know what you're doing.

> Are you having fun yet contemplating all the candidate solutions?

I think you're overstating the complexity here. Once you have suitable
hardware, you install a replacement OS on it - following the appropriate
guide. It then reboots into the new OS. That OS probably uses AOSP apps,
but they're not too different. Do you really need a manual to use Gallery
instead of Google Photos?

Of course, if you want to do some things that involves Google services (like
installing apps from the Play Store) then you need to follow a different
path (eg Aurora Store or F-droid). But that's what the OP wanted?

Some stuff doesn't work (eg Google Pay or apps using Google's maps etc) -
there may be workarounds possible (like MicroG). But that's part and parcel
of running without Google.

Theo

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u38lh7$3epng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39688&group=comp.mobile.android#39688

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 10:01:27 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 7 May 2023 17:01 UTC

On 5/7/23 04:46, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does anyone know of an android tablet that is
>>
>> 1) google free (open source os, not google's versions), and
>>
>> 2) no spying (Samsung, etc.) build in or otherwise?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Hmm, you didn't mention your intended use of the tablet. If it doesn't
> need the Internet, you could disable its wifi radio. If it has cellular
> functionality, you could disable the cellular data function. With no
> Internet access, I can't see how any Google app, or any app, or Google
> service, or any web-centric service can connect to a Google server, or
> any other server. Maybe you will use the tablet as an ebook reader.
> You could transfer the ebook file from your desktop via USB cable or
> Bluetooth.
>
> If you need Internet access for the tablet, are you looking to do the
> work of replacing the Android OS with a different OS (e.g., Lineage OS
> w/microG), and finding replacement apps (e.g., non-Google location
> services)? Or are you looking to buy a ready-made solution where a
> seller has already setup a non-Google OS'ed tablet for you?
>
> Or is this a wish-list item that you don't really plan on implementing,
> but just wanted to know something about?

It is my wife's tablet.

She uses Brave Browser, Firefox, Blue Mail, Writer,
Amazon Kindle. (She is the queen of free and 99
cent books.)

And the forced updates and scans (ESET) and
driving her bonkers. (She has told ESET
to only manually scan, but ESET ignores the
setting.) I am thinking of changing her over to
bit defender.

"Supposedly" (watch the weasel word), "calibre"
will read Amazon Kindle books on Linux. I
am thinking that might be the best way to go.
There are a bunch of them over on
https://linuxstans.com/linux-tablet/
but no Fedora pad, which would be my choice.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u390ic$a1nr$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39692&group=comp.mobile.android#39692

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 22:09:47 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 7 May 2023 20:09 UTC

Am 07.05.23 um 19:01 schrieb T:
> On 5/7/23 04:46, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Or is this a wish-list item that you don't really plan on implementing,
>> but just wanted to know something about?
>

> It is my wife's tablet.
>
> She uses Brave Browser, Firefox, Blue Mail, Writer,
> Amazon Kindle. (She is the queen of free and 99
> cent books.)
>
> And the forced updates and scans (ESET) and
> driving her bonkers. (She has told ESET
> to only manually scan, but ESET ignores the
> setting.) I am thinking of changing her over to
> bit defender.

On an Android? You must be joking! Expensive and useless "snake oil".

> "Supposedly" (watch the weasel word), "calibre"
> will read Amazon Kindle books on Linux. I
> am thinking that might be the best way to go.
> There are a bunch of them over on
> https://linuxstans.com/linux-tablet/
> but no Fedora pad, which would be my choice.

I'm out. CU.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u39ls9$gci$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39699&group=comp.mobile.android#39699

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 07:43:55 +0530
 by: Michael - Mon, 8 May 2023 02:13 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 14:22:09 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> I don't agree with your premise so I'm trying to help you understand.
>> What app do you want to install that you can't install on that tablet.
>
> I repeat: I could not install anything, and what I could, was obsolete.

That you can't do it is meaningless because anyone else can easily do it.
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<1x8msb9lsq7sk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39703&group=comp.mobile.android#39703

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 00:45:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 May 2023 05:45 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It is my wife's tablet.
>
> She uses Brave Browser, Firefox, Blue Mail, Writer,
> Amazon Kindle. (She is the queen of free and 99
> cent books.)
>
> And the forced updates and scans (ESET) and
> driving her bonkers. (She has told ESET
> to only manually scan, but ESET ignores the
> setting.) I am thinking of changing her over to
> bit defender.
>
> "Supposedly" (watch the weasel word), "calibre"
> will read Amazon Kindle books on Linux. I
> am thinking that might be the best way to go.
> There are a bunch of them over on
> https://linuxstans.com/linux-tablet/
> but no Fedora pad, which would be my choice.

If the wife doesn't need wifi Internet access, she could disable that.
That leave cellular data for Internet access. On my ancient Android 8.0
LG V20 phone (c.2016, discontinued in 2019, LG left the mobile phone
market in 2021), I can go to [Android] Settings -> Network -> Data
Manager where I can disable background cellular data on various apps,
including Google Play Services. Supposedly that means an app disabled
for background cellular data would only generate Internet traffic when
it was running an foregrounded, like the wife's e-mail app.

In the Data Manager section, for me there are 2 tabs: Mobile, and Wi-Fi.
If wifi is disabled, no point in configuring anything under that tab.
Under the Mobile tab, I select an app, and can disable:

Background data
Enable usage of cellular data in the background.

I had to go this route to prevent a security web cam at home from
consuming all my cellular data quota (yes, mine is limited). With video
from the web cam getting uploaded, that ate a lot of bandwidth. I ended
up on vacation with no access to the web cam's output, and wi-fi still
isn't everywhere or within reach. I could still make cellular calls,
and used wifi back at the resort, cafe, or wherever wifi was available
to watch the web cam. When I realized what ate up my cellular data
quota, I configured the web cam app to /not/ use background cellular
data.

Not every "app" has the option to disable background cellular data.
Android OS does not, but Google Play Services does. With no wifi
access, no Internet access that way. With no background cellular data
available, the app (when hiding in the background, because exiting an
app in Android does not unload it until that memory is needed) still
can't get an Internet connection. For e-mail, make sure that app is
allowed background cellular data; else, the e-mail client won't retrieve
new messages until you load it and it's in the foreground.

Chrome and Firefox are apps where the background cellular data option to
disable is available. I don't let web browsers run any processes after
I exit them (plus Firefox has a Quit option to kill it versus Chrome
which does not, so it remains loaded after you exit its window). If you
don't have any add-ons that need to run after the web browser exits (not
possible with Chrome which doesn't allow add-ons, but possible with
Firefox Mobile where you can install add-ons), there's no reason to
allow background cellular data. When your wife loads the web app, it's
foreground, so it should get cellular data access to the Internet.

I just tested Firefox with background cellular data disabled. When I
loaded Firefox, so it was foreground, I could still get it to connect
to, say, intel.com. I could keep running this way, but, for now, I'll
leave background cellular data enabled for Firefox.

I had Sophos X-Intercept on my phone before. It is ad-free, and has no
impact on the responsiveness of my phone. AVs on Android are very
limited in what they can do. Mostly they check newly installed apps to
see if they are known malicious. There is no realtime (on-access)
scanning of AVs on Android. They trigger a scan on an app install. I
don't remember getting nuisanced with any prompts or notifications when
X-Intercept did an update.

I don't see why the Kindle app would need background cellular data.
When you want to get a new ebook from them, don't you load their app to
retrieve a book (i.e., when their app is foregrounded)?

You have to measure just how much security you are comfortable with.
Eventually I removed X-Intercept, and run free of AV software on my
Android phone. Since I no longer have it installed, I can't go into
Data Manager to see if it is listed to let me disable background
cellular data. That would mean the AV doesn't auto update, and I really
don't want to keep remembering to manually initiate updates to it. If
you cannot squelch the update prompts of ESET, maybe you should a
different AV assuming you even think you need one.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/mobile-devices/

If disabling wifi, and locking apps out of using background cellular
data isn't enough for you, then you're into uninstall the Google apps
some of which are interdepent of other services or apps. From responses
of others, uninstalling services is another matter.

I'm not keen on using Data Saver to disable background cellular data for
all apps. I still want my e-mail client to update. Yeah, I can add
exclusions to Data Saver, or I can do similarly by configuring
background cellular data on any app that I want to restrict that method
of Internet access. Data Saver has other consequences than just
blocking background cellular data access.

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u3a2tk$9nqv$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39704&group=comp.mobile.android#39704

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 07:56:04 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 8 May 2023 05:56 UTC

Am 08.05.23 um 04:13 schrieb Michael:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 14:22:09 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> I don't agree with your premise so I'm trying to help you understand.
>>> What app do you want to install that you can't install on that tablet.
>>
>> I repeat: I could not install anything, and what I could, was obsolete.
>
> That you can't do it is meaningless because anyone else can easily do it.

Trollish and very constructive indeed.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<u3a6j4$3qbvo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39706&group=comp.mobile.android#39706

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 23:58:44 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 8 May 2023 06:58 UTC

On 5/7/23 22:45, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> you cannot squelch the update prompts of ESET, maybe you should a
> different AV assuming you even think you need one.
>
> https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/mobile-devices/
>
> If disabling wifi, and locking apps out of using background cellular
> data isn't enough for you, then you're into uninstall the Google apps
> some of which are interdepent of other services or apps. From responses
> of others, uninstalling services is another matter.

> I'm not keen on using Data Saver to disable background cellular data for
> all apps. I still want my e-mail client to update. Yeah, I can add
> exclusions to Data Saver, or I can do similarly by configuring
> background cellular data on any app that I want to restrict that method
> of Internet access. Data Saver has other consequences than just
> blocking background cellular data access.

Her current tablet does not have cell data available.
She uses our house WiFi.

Check out my new post!

Re: Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?

<4ctmijxufm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39712&group=comp.mobile.android#39712

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 11:52:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 8 May 2023 09:52 UTC

On 2023-05-08 07:56, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> I repeat: I could not install anything, and what I could, was obsolete.
>>
>> That you can't do it is meaningless because anyone else can easily do it.
>
> Trollish and very constructive indeed.

Indeed.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Anyone know of an android tablet without spying?