One does not thank logic. -- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

SubjectAuthor
* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heSir Ridesalot
+* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|+* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski
||`* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|| +* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after herussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|| |+* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|| |+* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists afterAMuzi
|| |`- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski
|| +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heNews 2021
|| +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski
|| `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heTom Kunich
||  +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Radey Shouman
||  +* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after hejbeattie
||  |`* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Radey Shouman
||  | `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly jbeattie
||  |  +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Radey Shouman
||  |  `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after herussellseaton1@yahoo.com
||  |   `- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists afterAMuzi
||  +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski
||  `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
||   `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists afterAMuzi
||    +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski
||    `- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|`* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heSteve Weeks
| `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|  +- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Radey Shouman
|  `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Jeff Liebermann
|   `* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly John B.
|    `- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly Jeff Liebermann
`* Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heSir Ridesalot
 `- Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after heFrank Krygowski

Pages:123
Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<501c9c00-cbb3-4fda-8910-42cc6c81896dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42938&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42938

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:09 UTC

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 2:25:58 p.m. UTC-4, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> [...]
>
> A teen truck driver in Texas ran over six cyclists on Saturday, sending
> four of them to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
>
> The cyclists riding along a highway in Houston when a black diesel pickup
> truck intentionally slowed down and then accelerated in front of them to
> blow exhaust on the cyclists, one of the riders said.
>
> "I thought someone was dead," cyclist Chase Ferrell said, according to
> KRIV. "I heard a lot of crunching. I heard brakes. Tires screeching.
> People screaming."
>
> KTRK reported that two of the cyclists were treated at a local hospital in
> Waller County, and two others were airlifted to a Houston hospital to be
> treated for head injuries. Two other cyclists refused treatment.
>
> Ferrell said the group was about 75 miles into their ride as they trained
> for an ironman. After the truck blew exhaust on cyclists in Ferrell's
> lane, the driver attempted to do the same maneuver on cyclists riding
> ahead of Ferrell, the cyclist said, culminating in the collision.
>
> "The reason he couldn't stop is because he was accelerating to blow more
> diesel fuel on these cyclists," Ferrell said. "He ended up hitting three
> people before his brakes even started."
>
> KRIV's Matthew Seedorff shared images of the crushed bicycles on the side
> of the road.
>
> Ferrell added that the driver, identified as a 16-year-old male, was
> intentionally trying to harass the cyclists. Authorities did not comment
> on the driver's condition, KTRK reported.
>
> "There was no reason for this to happen," Ferrell said, adding that the
> teen stayed on the scene following the collisions. "It wasn't like he was
> on his phone. [He] definitely meant to try and scare these people [or]
> intimidate them in some way. [Maybe he then] made a mistake and ran them
> over."
>
> The teen driver was not arrested as of Saturday, KRIV reported. The Waller
> County Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to Insider's request
> for comment.
>
> Read the original article on Insider
>
> https://news.yahoo.com/16-old-driving-truck-ran-184304653.html
>

> --
> "LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
> recover with no after effects.
>
> No collusion - Special Counsel Robert Swan Mueller III, March 2019.
> Officially made Nancy Pelosi a two-time impeachment loser.
>
> Donald J. Trump, cheated out of a second term by fraudulent "mail-in"
> ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov
>
> Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
> fiasco, President Trump.
>
> Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
> The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
> queer liberal democrat donors.
>
> President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
> dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.

Just read today that a Special Prosecutor has been assigned to this case. On another forum t here's a lot of questions being asked as to whether the kid or his parents are related to the movers and shakers of that area. Popular opinion is that that's about the only reason for the lack of charges thus far and also why a Special Prosecutor was brought in.

It'll be interesting to see how this ends.

Cheers

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<5ebklg9oaa3seedipk5olqiepvlirklu4s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42959&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42959

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 05:41:27 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 22:41 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
<i_am_cycle_pathic@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>> ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov
>>
>> Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
>> fiasco, President Trump.
>>
>> Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
>> The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
>> queer liberal democrat donors.
>>
>> President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
>> dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.
>
>Just read today that a Special Prosecutor has been assigned to this case. On another forum t here's a lot of questions being asked as to whether the kid or his parents are related to the movers and shakers of that area. Popular opinion is that that's about the only reason for the lack of charges thus far and also why a Special Prosecutor was brought in.
>
>It'll be interesting to see how this ends.

Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
years and never seen anything like that.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjddve$1hg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42961&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42961

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 19:22:20 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:22 UTC

On 10/3/2021 6:41 PM, John B. wrote:

> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
> years and never seen anything like that.

"Rolling Coal" is a purposely obnoxious tactic of certain owners of
pickup trucks. The typical culprit has a relatively new pickup powered
by a diesel engine, and very often sporting oversized wheels and very
knobby tires. Also typical are various window decals or bumper stickers
attesting to the manliness of the driver or the inferiority of other
models of trucks, etc. American flags are not uncommon on the trucks,
except in the southern U.S. where confederate flags dominate. (Down
there a gun rack will also be visible through the truck's back window.)

These trucks are deliberately modified to emit absolutely opaque clouds
of diesel exhaust on demand. Bicyclists are common targets, but so are
cars that indicate a philosophy the asshole driver doesn't like. Toyota
Priuses are targets because they tend to be bought by people who value
efficiency and/or the environment.

These asshole pickup drivers have other favored obnoxious behaviors. Of
course, blaring super-loud music is fun for them. So is mercilessly
tailgating other vehicles. Some have been known to purposely park in a
way to block electric vehicle charging stations. And I've had them
deliberately try to blind me with their auxiliary mega-lumen light bars.

Of course, "rolling coal" is illegal, but it's very hard to prosecute.
It's a behavior of a thuggish sub-culture with all the symptoms of a
very low average IQ.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<6f5263df-0051-4190-b7ae-922fda721af5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42962&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42962

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:29:16 -0700 (PDT)
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
From: smweeks...@gmail.com (Steve Weeks)
 by: Steve Weeks - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:29 UTC

On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 5:41:35 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
> years and never seen anything like that.
"Rolling Coal" is a form of passive-aggressive driving that seems to be mostly directed at fuel-efficient cars, bicyclists and protesters (generally favoring left-wing causes such as environment, women's rights, social justice...). It requires modification of the fuel delivery system of a Diesel engine to be able to run extremely rich (fuel-heavy) at the flip of a switch. See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal
I imagine that there is some deleterious effect on an engine modified to perform this way, but it seems to be worthwhile for a certain type of moron.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<q6nklgd8jfvsdva3f25q8r0kv196vk0hhk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42970&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42970

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:56:19 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 01:56 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 19:22:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 10/3/2021 6:41 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
>> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
>> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
>> years and never seen anything like that.
>
>"Rolling Coal" is a purposely obnoxious tactic of certain owners of
>pickup trucks. The typical culprit has a relatively new pickup powered
>by a diesel engine, and very often sporting oversized wheels and very
>knobby tires. Also typical are various window decals or bumper stickers
>attesting to the manliness of the driver or the inferiority of other
>models of trucks, etc. American flags are not uncommon on the trucks,
>except in the southern U.S. where confederate flags dominate. (Down
>there a gun rack will also be visible through the truck's back window.)
>
>These trucks are deliberately modified to emit absolutely opaque clouds
>of diesel exhaust on demand. Bicyclists are common targets, but so are
>cars that indicate a philosophy the asshole driver doesn't like. Toyota
>Priuses are targets because they tend to be bought by people who value
>efficiency and/or the environment.
>
>These asshole pickup drivers have other favored obnoxious behaviors. Of
>course, blaring super-loud music is fun for them. So is mercilessly
>tailgating other vehicles. Some have been known to purposely park in a
>way to block electric vehicle charging stations. And I've had them
>deliberately try to blind me with their auxiliary mega-lumen light bars.
>
>Of course, "rolling coal" is illegal, but it's very hard to prosecute.
>It's a behavior of a thuggish sub-culture with all the symptoms of a
>very low average IQ.

I hear you talking but I still don't understand how it is done. A
diesel engine accelerates by injecting more fuel then required at a
given RPM and thus developing more power and increasing RPM and
certainly if you jam the throttle open at low RPM and diesel powered
engine will "smoke" but not to the extent it showed.

But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
other day. (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<msnklgdo5cv1je65sug17dua903d10cudf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42973&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42973

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 09:03:17 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 02:03 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:29:16 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
<smweeksdds@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 5:41:35 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>
>> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
>> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
>> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
>> years and never seen anything like that.
>"Rolling Coal" is a form of passive-aggressive driving that seems to be mostly directed at fuel-efficient cars, bicyclists and protesters (generally favoring left-wing causes such as environment, women's rights, social justice...). It requires modification of the fuel delivery system of a Diesel engine to be able to run extremely rich (fuel-heavy) at the flip of a switch. See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal
>I imagine that there is some deleterious effect on an engine modified to perform this way, but it seems to be worthwhile for a certain type of moron.

Ah, I had assumed that it refereed to a conventional diesel engine,
which does, normally, smoke a bit upon acceleration. I hadn't imagined
that anyone would take the time and effort to modify an engine
especially to make smoke.
Strange folks, them 'mericans (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<87y2794ht7.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42975&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42975

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 22:58:28 -0400
sha1:9tUo35opkJthI26RR/m8EYwF8vY=
 by: Radey Shouman - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 02:58 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:29:16 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
> <smweeksdds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 5:41:35 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>>
>>> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
>>> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
>>> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
>>> years and never seen anything like that.
>>"Rolling Coal" is a form of passive-aggressive driving that seems to
>> be mostly directed at fuel-efficient cars, bicyclists and protesters
>> (generally favoring left-wing causes such as environment, women's
>> rights, social justice...). It requires modification of the fuel
>> delivery system of a Diesel engine to be able to run extremely rich
>> (fuel-heavy) at the flip of a switch. See this:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal
>>I imagine that there is some deleterious effect on an engine modified
>> to perform this way, but it seems to be worthwhile for a certain
>> type of moron.
>
> Ah, I had assumed that it refereed to a conventional diesel engine,
> which does, normally, smoke a bit upon acceleration. I hadn't imagined
> that anyone would take the time and effort to modify an engine
> especially to make smoke.
> Strange folks, them 'mericans (:-)

I have experienced it once, right around the New Hampshire border in, as
I recall, Tyngsboro, Mass. Did not check whether the vehicle in
question had New Hampshire plates. I admit it did kind of piss me off.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<c4916ef8-7a8e-4598-80f6-6d74a5d690f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42976&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42976

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 03:10 UTC

On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:56:29 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
> other day. (:-)
> --
> John B.

1. A diesel engine is required to do this roll smoke thing. As you well know, diesel isn't too refined from raw oil. And produces copious smoke when burned. Gasoline is highly refined and just makes fire and an explosion when you light it.
2. The only vehicles in USA that use diesel engines are 1. tractors 2. semi trucks 3. pick up trucks. USA uses gasoline cars and trucks almost exclusively. Unlike Europe where diesel cars are very common. I do not know about the rest of the world, how prevalent diesel vehicles are.
3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sje15n$uq7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42983&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42983

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:50:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:50 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:56:19 +0700, John B. scribed:

> I hear you talking but I still don't understand how it is done. A diesel
> engine accelerates by injecting more fuel then required at a given RPM
> and thus developing more power and increasing RPM and certainly if you
> jam the throttle open at low RPM and diesel powered engine will "smoke"
> but not to the extent it showed.

You replace/overwite the engine control chip so that in certain
conditions, it produces the desired effect.

This was the basis of the VW scandal; their chip changed operating specs
when it detected that it undergoing the same condition as in static
engine testing.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<gl5llg1ijnn0vb4dii6ae1k240nk5mjuqd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42985&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42985

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 22:59:35 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 05:59 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 09:03:17 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ah, I had assumed that it refereed to a conventional diesel engine,
>which does, normally, smoke a bit upon acceleration. I hadn't imagined
>that anyone would take the time and effort to modify an engine
>especially to make smoke.

My 1983 Dodge D50 4x4 diesel pickup would smoke sometimes, but not
black smoke. Instead, it was white. The carbon bushing in the
turbocharger had finally worn out after about 90,000 miles and was
leaking engine oil into the air intake. I would belch a large cloud
of white smog every time I spun up the turbo. However, that was only
for about two days, when the replacement parts arrived and I was able
to replace the smog generator. I wish I could have kept it as it made
a great anti tailgating device.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<6q4llghmulpdgsnv68fcj8jhncdr0u3hc2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42986&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42986

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:00:50 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:00 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:10:04 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:56:29 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>>
>> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
>> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
>> other day. (:-)
>> --
>> John B.
>
>1. A diesel engine is required to do this roll smoke thing. As you well know, diesel isn't too refined from raw oil. And produces copious smoke when burned. Gasoline is highly refined and just makes fire and an explosion when you light it.
>2. The only vehicles in USA that use diesel engines are 1. tractors 2. semi trucks 3. pick up trucks. USA uses gasoline cars and trucks almost exclusively. Unlike Europe where diesel cars are very common. I do not know about the rest of the world, how prevalent diesel vehicles are.
>3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.

Come now, gasoline explodes when you light it? You'll have to do
better then that (:-)
It's been so long since I was in the U.S. that I don't have a clue
what is the popular fuel there. Here, Thailand, I'm not sure that I've
seen a diesel automobile, as you say, farm machinery, heavy trucks and
pickups.

Of course the red neck stuff is prejudice. I was poking Frank in the
ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so ago basically
arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was just so
unfair and now he is deigning another group.

I might add that I lived for a number of years in the "deep south",
Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of familiar with
the folks there.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<dc8llgh3kegbgr06ruu40nri5rba6vq42g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42987&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42987

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:50:35 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:50 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 22:59:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 09:03:17 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Ah, I had assumed that it refereed to a conventional diesel engine,
>>which does, normally, smoke a bit upon acceleration. I hadn't imagined
>>that anyone would take the time and effort to modify an engine
>>especially to make smoke.
>
>My 1983 Dodge D50 4x4 diesel pickup would smoke sometimes, but not
>black smoke. Instead, it was white. The carbon bushing in the
>turbocharger had finally worn out after about 90,000 miles and was
>leaking engine oil into the air intake. I would belch a large cloud
>of white smog every time I spun up the turbo. However, that was only
>for about two days, when the replacement parts arrived and I was able
>to replace the smog generator. I wish I could have kept it as it made
>a great anti tailgating device.

Most diesel engines tend to smoke a bit on engine acceleration as to
make the engine run faster you simply dump in more fuel. Caterpillar,
on some of their units had an anti smoke devise that simply slowed the
process so that the acceleration was slower and took longer and thus
less smoke. The operators complained loudly about the slow
acceleration so we bypassed them (:-)

One of the Japanese truck builders had a system of managing air
intake, similar to a gasoline engine, and fuel injection which was
claimed to change all that but I noticed that after a year or so they
stopped making it.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<229llg5amtkr1m250fb17q55j7c60fvmui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42988&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42988

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:54:34 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:54 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:00:50 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:10:04 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
><ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:56:29 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>>>
>>> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
>>> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
>>> other day. (:-)
>>> --
>>> John B.
>>
>>1. A diesel engine is required to do this roll smoke thing. As you well know, diesel isn't too refined from raw oil. And produces copious smoke when burned. Gasoline is highly refined and just makes fire and an explosion when you light it.
>>2. The only vehicles in USA that use diesel engines are 1. tractors 2. semi trucks 3. pick up trucks. USA uses gasoline cars and trucks almost exclusively. Unlike Europe where diesel cars are very common. I do not know about the rest of the world, how prevalent diesel vehicles are.
>>3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.
>
>Come now, gasoline explodes when you light it? You'll have to do
>better then that (:-)
> It's been so long since I was in the U.S. that I don't have a clue
>what is the popular fuel there. Here, Thailand, I'm not sure that I've
>seen a diesel automobile, as you say, farm machinery, heavy trucks and
>pickups.

I have to amend that statement. They must have diesel cars in Thailand
as a chap I know drove his brand new Toyota up to the diesel pump and
says, "fill it up" and the service guy did just as he was told.

If it is of interest he says that you can get just about back to the
highway before the engine stops (:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjevsu$558$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42993&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42993

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after
he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:34:19 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:34 UTC

On 10/3/2021 10:10 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:56:29 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>>
>> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
>> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
>> other day. (:-)
>> --
>> John B.
>
> 1. A diesel engine is required to do this roll smoke thing. As you well know, diesel isn't too refined from raw oil. And produces copious smoke when burned. Gasoline is highly refined and just makes fire and an explosion when you light it.
> 2. The only vehicles in USA that use diesel engines are 1. tractors 2. semi trucks 3. pick up trucks. USA uses gasoline cars and trucks almost exclusively. Unlike Europe where diesel cars are very common. I do not know about the rest of the world, how prevalent diesel vehicles are.
> 3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.

+1
exactly

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjfa8l$r19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43011&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43011

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:31:15 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:31 UTC

On 10/3/2021 9:56 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 19:22:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2021 6:41 PM, John B. wrote:
>>>
>>> Really off the subject but what is this "coal-roll" that they talk
>>> about? On one of the reports of the accident it shows what appears to
>>> be a great cloud of black smoke but I've driven a diesel pickup for
>>> years and never seen anything like that.
>>
>> "Rolling Coal" is a purposely obnoxious tactic of certain owners of
>> pickup trucks. The typical culprit has a relatively new pickup powered
>> by a diesel engine, and very often sporting oversized wheels and very
>> knobby tires. Also typical are various window decals or bumper stickers
>> attesting to the manliness of the driver or the inferiority of other
>> models of trucks, etc. American flags are not uncommon on the trucks,
>> except in the southern U.S. where confederate flags dominate. (Down
>> there a gun rack will also be visible through the truck's back window.)
>>
>> These trucks are deliberately modified to emit absolutely opaque clouds
>> of diesel exhaust on demand. Bicyclists are common targets, but so are
>> cars that indicate a philosophy the asshole driver doesn't like. Toyota
>> Priuses are targets because they tend to be bought by people who value
>> efficiency and/or the environment.
>>
>> These asshole pickup drivers have other favored obnoxious behaviors. Of
>> course, blaring super-loud music is fun for them. So is mercilessly
>> tailgating other vehicles. Some have been known to purposely park in a
>> way to block electric vehicle charging stations. And I've had them
>> deliberately try to blind me with their auxiliary mega-lumen light bars.
>>
>> Of course, "rolling coal" is illegal, but it's very hard to prosecute.
>> It's a behavior of a thuggish sub-culture with all the symptoms of a
>> very low average IQ.
>
> I hear you talking but I still don't understand how it is done.

I don't know the details, but I think the most common is to buy or
reprogram an engine control chip that when a switch is activated,
injects lots of excess fuel, so much so that it doesn't all burn, but
instead pours out as unburned dense smoke.

> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
> other day. (:-)

I think you may be confusing me with someone else. More below.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjfb8g$2te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43013&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43013

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:48:13 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:48 UTC

On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
> I was poking Frank in the
> ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so ago basically
> arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was just so
> unfair and now he is deigning another group.

You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about prejudice:

First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and we do it
because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound guys yelling
profanities came walking three abreast toward you on a narrow sidewalk,
would you say "Oh, I'm sure they'll politely step aside to let me pass?"
You'd probably do that no more than once.

People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their world
views. The messages can't be precise and 100% definitive (and as I keep
saying there are tails to every normal curve) but it's a good bet that
the guy with the jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies. It's
reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely behaviors.

> I might add that I lived for a number of years in the "deep south",
> Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of familiar with
> the folks there.

I suspect that was much further into the past than when I lived there. I
had good friends who were good people (some of whom were rural "good ol'
boys") but there was a never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to
deal with some of them.

However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjfbru$7k1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43014&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43014

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:58:35 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:58 UTC

On 10/3/2021 11:10 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

> 3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.

Yes, there are luxury pickup trucks driven by suburban shopping moms.
And yes, the Ford F150 keeps outselling cars. It's another example of
fashion weirdness.

But I think it's easy to spot the difference between a luxury suburban
pickup and a redneck coal roller. Which one has the diesel engine (and
bumper sticker saying "F*** spark plugs"), jacked up frame, brightly
painted shock absorbers, wide knobby tires on expensive custom rims,
light bars, bull bars, country rock with heavy bass at 110 dB, chrome
naked lady license plate frame, and so on? And maybe a bumper sticker
saying "My kid can beat up your honor student."

BTW, you get no bonus points for guessing the political bumper sticker.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<kubmlghkookd2bkvi6vcm98527nqh235bb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43016&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43016

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:06:51 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:06 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:50:35 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 22:59:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 09:03:17 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Ah, I had assumed that it refereed to a conventional diesel engine,
>>>which does, normally, smoke a bit upon acceleration. I hadn't imagined
>>>that anyone would take the time and effort to modify an engine
>>>especially to make smoke.
>>
>>My 1983 Dodge D50 4x4 diesel pickup would smoke sometimes, but not
>>black smoke. Instead, it was white. The carbon bushing in the
>>turbocharger had finally worn out after about 90,000 miles and was
>>leaking engine oil into the air intake. I would belch a large cloud
>>of white smog every time I spun up the turbo. However, that was only
>>for about two days, when the replacement parts arrived and I was able
>>to replace the smog generator. I wish I could have kept it as it made
>>a great anti tailgating device.
>
>Most diesel engines tend to smoke a bit on engine acceleration as to
>make the engine run faster you simply dump in more fuel. Caterpillar,
>on some of their units had an anti smoke devise that simply slowed the
>process so that the acceleration was slower and took longer and thus
>less smoke. The operators complained loudly about the slow
>acceleration so we bypassed them (:-)
>
>One of the Japanese truck builders had a system of managing air
>intake, similar to a gasoline engine, and fuel injection which was
>claimed to change all that but I noticed that after a year or so they
>stopped making it.

My 1983 model didn't have any such sophistication. As long as the
glow plugs and timer were working properly, I only saw a tiny amount
of black smoke on startup. However, belching soot was considered an
environmental problem, resulting in the addition of several black
boxes and some plumbing needed to reduce the soot in the 1984 model.
However, the gas mileage dropped from about 27 mpg to about 16 mpg.
The number of samples is rather small, but you can see some of the
history here. In subsequent years, the gas mileage varied between 16
and 21 mpg:
<https://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram_50/1983>
<https://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram_50/1984>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Triton#Chrysler_variants>
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<9f53a997-d20c-40bf-a8a8-a3138fd2df89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43017&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43017

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:07 UTC

On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 9:48:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
> > I was poking Frank in the
> > ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so ago basically
> > arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was just so
> > unfair and now he is deigning another group.
> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about prejudice:
>
> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and we do it
> because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound guys yelling
> profanities came walking three abreast toward you on a narrow sidewalk,
> would you say "Oh, I'm sure they'll politely step aside to let me pass?"
> You'd probably do that no more than once.
>
> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their world
> views. The messages can't be precise and 100% definitive (and as I keep
> saying there are tails to every normal curve) but it's a good bet that
> the guy with the jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies. It's
> reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely behaviors.
> > I might add that I lived for a number of years in the "deep south",
> > Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of familiar with
> > the folks there.
> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I lived there. I
> had good friends who were good people (some of whom were rural "good ol'
> boys") but there was a never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to
> deal with some of them.
>
> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.

You don't need the redneck part -- assholes is enough. Assholes in diesel trucks seek to express themselves by diesel douching, and they are notable because they (apparently) have to change injector settings or do something to produce that much smoke and unburned fuel. They work at being assholes -- it is like a part time job. Most people are just incidentally assholes and don't actually work at it, and there is usually no additional cost.

I think the Harley guys work at it a little bit with their ridiculous last-century noise-makers, but they seem to be more interested in distinguishing themselves and impressing their cohort. The noise can be but is not usually aimed at bicyclists, walkers and what are perceived to be anti-Amer-y-cuns. The diesel pick-up truck guys seem to be unique.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjfcre$fkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43018&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43018

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 12:15:22 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:15 UTC

On 10/4/2021 11:48 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
>> I was poking Frank in the
>> ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so
>> ago basically
>> arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was
>> just so
>> unfair and now he is deigning another group.
>
> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about
> prejudice:
>
> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and
> we do it because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound
> guys yelling profanities came walking three abreast toward
> you on a narrow sidewalk, would you say "Oh, I'm sure
> they'll politely step aside to let me pass?" You'd probably
> do that no more than once.
>
> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their
> world views. The messages can't be precise and 100%
> definitive (and as I keep saying there are tails to every
> normal curve) but it's a good bet that the guy with the
> jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies.
> It's reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely
> behaviors.
>
>> I might add that I lived for a number of years in the
>> "deep south",
>> Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of
>> familiar with
>> the folks there.
>
> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I
> lived there. I had good friends who were good people (some
> of whom were rural "good ol' boys") but there was a
> never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to deal with
> some of them.
>
> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.

Back to your normal curve for humans, yes there are more
obnoxious diesel drivers in some places and a different kind
of human behavior outlier in other places:

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/10/gunman-opens-fire-on-north-side-street-corner-minutes-after-lightfoot-and-top-cop-posed-for-pictures-there-its-all-on-video.html

https://www.audacy.com/wbbm780/news/local/sen-durbin-witnesses-shooting-on-busy-chicago-roadway

Note neither democrat public official was actually injured,
unlike 3625 citizens this year so far:
http://heyjackass.com/

Celebrate diversity! or name your poison.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjfdlb$kk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43021&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43021

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:29:13 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:29 UTC

On 10/4/2021 1:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/4/2021 11:48 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
>>> I was poking Frank in the
>>> ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so
>>> ago basically
>>> arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was
>>> just so
>>> unfair and now he is deigning another group.
>>
>> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about
>> prejudice:
>>
>> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and
>> we do it because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound
>> guys yelling profanities came walking three abreast toward
>> you on a narrow sidewalk, would you say "Oh, I'm sure
>> they'll politely step aside to let me pass?" You'd probably
>> do that no more than once.
>>
>> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their
>> world views. The messages can't be precise and 100%
>> definitive (and as I keep saying there are tails to every
>> normal curve) but it's a good bet that the guy with the
>> jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
>> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies.
>> It's reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely
>> behaviors.
>>
>>> I might add that I lived for a number of years in the
>>> "deep south",
>>> Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of
>>> familiar with
>>> the folks there.
>>
>> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I
>> lived there. I had good friends who were good people (some
>> of whom were rural "good ol' boys") but there was a
>> never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to deal with
>> some of them.
>>
>> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.
>>

> Back to your normal curve for humans, yes there are more obnoxious
> diesel drivers in some places and a different kind of human behavior
> outlier in other places:

Of course. Idiots of all stripes abound.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<mivmlg1kjj5efdfv90h01jfrs85lob7r8j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43035&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43035

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 05:46:14 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:46 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:34:19 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 10/3/2021 10:10 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 8:56:29 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>>>
>>> But all this derogator talk about Red Necks and Pickup Drivers. And
>>> here you were going on about how bad prejudice attitudes are, just the
>>> other day. (:-)
>>> --
>>> John B.
>>
>> 1. A diesel engine is required to do this roll smoke thing. As you well know, diesel isn't too refined from raw oil. And produces copious smoke when burned. Gasoline is highly refined and just makes fire and an explosion when you light it.
>> 2. The only vehicles in USA that use diesel engines are 1. tractors 2. semi trucks 3. pick up trucks. USA uses gasoline cars and trucks almost exclusively. Unlike Europe where diesel cars are very common. I do not know about the rest of the world, how prevalent diesel vehicles are.
>> 3. The red neck part may be prejudiced. Since in USA almost everyone it seems drives a pick up truck. Middle aged woman with two kids in school going to the grocery store may drive her $80,000 luxury four door 4x4 pick up truck. 50 years ago only farmers and construction workers drove pick up trucks. Pick up trucks were work vehicles. Now pick up trucks are luxury vehicles to brag to the world how expensive a vehicle you can buy.
>>

>+1
>exactly

Are pickup trucks "expensive a vehicle you can buy"? Here they have
always been the cheapest vehicle (well except for a motorcycle) that
you can buy because they are classified as a "work vehicle" and the
rather large sales tax levied here, as high as 40% on a auto with
larger then a 3,000 cc engine, is much cheaper. A "double cab", i.e. 4
door, pickup with less then 3,250cc engine is 10 - 13%.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjg089$58a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43036&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43036

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Duane)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists
after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:46:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EQo0H//seiupdTZoJXQf5lkH5Kc=
 by: Duane - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:46 UTC

jbeattie <jbeattie57@msn.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 9:48:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
>>> I was poking Frank in the
>>> ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so ago basically
>>> arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was just so
>>> unfair and now he is deigning another group.
>> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about prejudice:
>>
>> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and we do it
>> because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound guys yelling
>> profanities came walking three abreast toward you on a narrow sidewalk,
>> would you say "Oh, I'm sure they'll politely step aside to let me pass?"
>> You'd probably do that no more than once.
>>
>> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their world
>> views. The messages can't be precise and 100% definitive (and as I keep
>> saying there are tails to every normal curve) but it's a good bet that
>> the guy with the jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
>> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies. It's
>> reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely behaviors.
>>> I might add that I lived for a number of years in the "deep south",
>>> Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of familiar with
>>> the folks there.
>> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I lived there. I
>> had good friends who were good people (some of whom were rural "good ol'
>> boys") but there was a never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to
>> deal with some of them.
>>
>> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.
>
> You don't need the redneck part -- assholes is enough. Assholes in
> diesel trucks seek to express themselves by diesel douching, and they are
> notable because they (apparently) have to change injector settings or do
> something to produce that much smoke and unburned fuel. They work at
> being assholes -- it is like a part time job. Most people are just
> incidentally assholes and don't actually work at it, and there is usually
> no additional cost.
>
> I think the Harley guys work at it a little bit with their ridiculous
> last-century noise-makers, but they seem to be more interested in
> distinguishing themselves and impressing their cohort. The noise can be
> but is not usually aimed at bicyclists, walkers and what are perceived to
> be anti-Amer-y-cuns. The diesel pick-up truck guys seem to be unique.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

Rednecks around here are more low rent. They just pass you, go to the
shoulder and peel out peppering you with gravel. Fortunately rednecks
around here are more contained and you can mostly avoid their stomping
grounds.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<hc1nlg1qkpk5air1ujjn6q0fll53dgb9eh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43037&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43037

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 06:08:21 +0700
References: <lnsADB3744B3237D6F089P2473@0.0.0.1> <501c9c00-cbb3-4fda-8910-42cc6c81896dn@googlegroups.com> <5ebklg9oaa3seedipk5olqiepvlirklu4s@4ax.com> <sjddve$1hg$1@dont-email.me> <q6nklgd8jfvsdva3f25q8r0kv196vk0hhk@4ax.com> <c4916ef8-7a8e-4598-80f6-6d74a5d690f1n@googlegroups.com> <6q4llghmulpdgsnv68fcj8jhncdr0u3hc2@4ax.com> <sjfb8g$2te$1@dont-email.me> <9f53a997-d20c-40bf-a8a8-a3138fd2df89n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 23:08 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:07:20 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie <jbeattie57@msn.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 9:48:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 10/4/2021 2:00 AM, John B. wrote:
>> > I was poking Frank in the
>> > ribs a bit as he had gone on at some length a day or so ago basically
>> > arguing that prejudice toward some minority or another was just so
>> > unfair and now he is deigning another group.
>> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about prejudice:
>>
>> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and we do it
>> because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound guys yelling
>> profanities came walking three abreast toward you on a narrow sidewalk,
>> would you say "Oh, I'm sure they'll politely step aside to let me pass?"
>> You'd probably do that no more than once.
>>
>> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their world
>> views. The messages can't be precise and 100% definitive (and as I keep
>> saying there are tails to every normal curve) but it's a good bet that
>> the guy with the jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
>> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies. It's
>> reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely behaviors.
>> > I might add that I lived for a number of years in the "deep south",
>> > Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, so I'm sort of familiar with
>> > the folks there.
>> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I lived there. I
>> had good friends who were good people (some of whom were rural "good ol'
>> boys") but there was a never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to
>> deal with some of them.
>>
>> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.
>
>You don't need the redneck part -- assholes is enough. Assholes in diesel trucks seek to express themselves by diesel douching, and they are notable because they (apparently) have to change injector settings or do something to produce that much smoke and unburned fuel. They work at being assholes -- it is like a part time job. Most people are just incidentally assholes and don't actually work at it, and there is usually no additional cost.
>
>I think the Harley guys work at it a little bit with their ridiculous last-century noise-makers, but they seem to be more interested in distinguishing themselves and impressing their cohort. The noise can be but is not usually aimed at bicyclists, walkers and what are perceived to be anti-Amer-y-cuns. The diesel pick-up truck guys seem to be unique.
>
>-- Jay Beattie.

Perhaps I am wrong, but having lived in six countries, well one during
a war, other then the U.S. none of which exhibit the symptoms that you
mention I can only believe that what you are referring to is
symptomatic of the U.S. and, at least from a casual look, largely seem
to be a result of a rather namby-pamby legal system. Here, for
example, if you run over a bicycle and kill the rider you will be
charged with "causing a death" and if convicted will be imprisoned,
and the argument that "I didn't see him" doesn't fly because as the
operator of a motor vehicle it is your duty to see.
Ah well, enough bitching. I don't live there any more (thank God).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: A 16-year-old driving a truck ran over multiple cyclists after he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them

<sjg2p6$jgd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43038&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43038

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
he allegedly attempted to blow exhaust on them
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 18:29:37 -0500
References: <lnsADB3744B3237D6F089P2473@0.0.0.1> <501c9c00-cbb3-4fda-8910-42cc6c81896dn@googlegroups.com> <5ebklg9oaa3seedipk5olqiepvlirklu4s@4ax.com> <sjddve$1hg$1@dont-email.me> <q6nklgd8jfvsdva3f25q8r0kv196vk0hhk@4ax.com> <c4916ef8-7a8e-4598-80f6-6d74a5d690f1n@googlegroups.com> <6q4llghmulpdgsnv68fcj8jhncdr0u3hc2@4ax.com> <sjfb8g$2te$1@dont-email.me> <9f53a997-d20c-40bf-a8a8-a3138fd2df89n@googlegroups.com> <sjg089$58a$1@dont-email.me>
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 23:29 UTC

On 10/4/2021 5:46 PM, Duane wrote:
> jbeattie <jbeattie57@msn.com> wrote:
>>> You may be mis-remembering. Here's what I think about prejudice:
>>>
>>> First, I think we all use a certain amount of prejudice, and we do it
>>> because it's often justified. If drunk muscle-bound guys yelling
>>> profanities came walking three abreast toward you on a narrow sidewalk,
>>> would you say "Oh, I'm sure they'll politely step aside to let me pass?"
>>> You'd probably do that no more than once.
>>>
>>> People tend to adopt styles that convey messages about their world
>>> views. The messages can't be precise and 100% definitive (and as I keep
>>> saying there are tails to every normal curve) but it's a good bet that
>>> the guy with the jacked up off-road diesel pickup with chrome naked lady
>>> license plate frames doesn't donate to Save The Butterflies. It's
>>> reasonable to infer certain attitudes and likely behaviors.
>>> I suspect that was much further into the past than when I lived there. I
>>> had good friends who were good people (some of whom were rural "good ol'
>>> boys") but there was a never-ending supply of asshole rednecks. I had to
>>> deal with some of them.
>>>
>>> However, that was before "rolling coal" was invented.
>>
>> You don't need the redneck part -- assholes is enough. Assholes in
>> diesel trucks seek to express themselves by diesel douching, and they are
>> notable because they (apparently) have to change injector settings or do
>> something to produce that much smoke and unburned fuel. They work at
>> being assholes -- it is like a part time job. Most people are just
>> incidentally assholes and don't actually work at it, and there is usually
>> no additional cost.
>>
>> I think the Harley guys work at it a little bit with their ridiculous
>> last-century noise-makers, but they seem to be more interested in
>> distinguishing themselves and impressing their cohort. The noise can be
>> but is not usually aimed at bicyclists, walkers and what are perceived to
>> be anti-Amer-y-cuns. The diesel pick-up truck guys seem to be unique.
>>
>> -- Jay Beattie.
>>

> Rednecks around here are more low rent. They just pass you, go to the
> shoulder and peel out peppering you with gravel. Fortunately rednecks
> around here are more contained and you can mostly avoid their stomping
> grounds.

In my youth the standard pickup had painted bumpers, rubber
mats and no radio- a work truck as you describe. Cheap too.
Using U Missouri Library vintage prices guide, the base
model Chevrolet/GMC 1000 sold new for $2000 in 1965, less
than an Impala same price as a basic no options Corvair.

If 'basic' models are even made now, they are not on
dealers' lots. Air conditioning, carpet, four-door
'extended' versions, fancy trim, lots of electronic geegaws
and sound systems are what are made. Because they sell.

Since there aren't new vehicles for sale, here's a top web
search result for Ford F150:

https://www.ewaldshartfordford.com/used/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-3e682aba0a0e09b1036c47656218ae97.htm

It's a less expensive version - V6 not V8, 3 years old,
$45000. New trucks, when they were available, ran another
$30,000 with a V8 but no 'special' packages.