A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Wallet

SubjectAuthor
* Google WalletCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
|+* Re: Google WalletRoger Mills
||+* Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
|||`- Re: Google WalletKen Blake
||+* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
|||+* Re: Google Walletsms
|||`* Re: Google WalletCarlos E.R.
||| `* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
|||  `* Re: Google WalletAJL
|||   +- Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
|||   `- Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
||`* Re: Google WalletAJL
|| `* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||  +* Re: Google WalletAJL
||  |`* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||  | +* Re: Google WalletAJL
||  | |+* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||  | ||`- Re: Google WalletAJL
||  | |`* Re: Google WalletCarlos E.R.
||  | | `- Re: Google WalletAJL
||  | `* Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
||  |  `* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||  |   `- Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
||  +* Re: Google Walletsms
||  |`- Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||  `* Re: Google Walletsms
||   `* Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
||    `- Re: Google WalletKen Blake
|+* Re: Google Walletsms
||+- Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
||+* Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
|||`* Re: Google WalletAJL
||| +- Re: Google Walletsms
||| `- Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
||+- Re: Google Walletnospam
||`* Re: Google WalletFrank Slootweg
|| `* Re: Google Walletsms
||  `- Re: Google WalletChris
|+* Re: Google WalletDave Roya
||`- Re: Google WalletThe Real Bev
|+- Re: Google WalletRalph Fox
|+- Re: Google WalletCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Google WalletKees Nuyt
| `- Re: Google WalletJörg Lorenz
+* Re: Google WalletVanguardLH
|`* Re: Google WalletCarlos E.R.
| `- Re: Google WalletBob Henson
`- Re: Google WalletBodger

Pages:123
Google Wallet

<7be4qjxfb5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43699&group=comp.mobile.android#43699

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google Wallet
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:55:51 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 11:55 UTC

Hi,

Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
or whatever?

I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
having the screen unlocked.

Yes, I googled. Nothing.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google Wallet

<uaob4f$2a12j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43704&group=comp.mobile.android#43704

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google Wallet
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 07:35:57 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 14:35 UTC

On 8/6/23 4:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
> or whatever?
>
> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
> having the screen unlocked.
>
> Yes, I googled. Nothing.

And a second question: Why are "wallets" desirable? It's easy enough
to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
and leave at home next to my computer. Actually, all I need for RL
shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.

Hence my question.

--
Cheers, Bev
I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"

Re: Google Wallet

<kj9qklFmgesU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43705&group=comp.mobile.android#43705

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:56:19 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 14:56 UTC

On 06/08/2023 15:35, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 8/6/23 4:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
>> or whatever?
>>
>> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
>> having the screen unlocked.
>>
>> Yes, I googled. Nothing.
>
> And a second question:  Why are "wallets" desirable?  It's easy enough
> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
> and leave at home next to my computer.  Actually, all I need for RL
> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>
> Hence my question.

If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
spending *your* money with no questions asked. If you lose your phone,
anyone who finds it would need to unlock it before being able to make
purchases using Wallet. So that gives an extra level of security.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoe18$2b764$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43708&group=comp.mobile.android#43708

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 08:25:28 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:25 UTC

On 8/6/2023 7:35 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> And a second question:  Why are "wallets" desirable?  It's easy enough
> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
> and leave at home next to my computer.  Actually, all I need for RL
> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.

1. Security. Lose a credit card in a country that doesn't use Chip & PIN
(like the U.S.) and anyone can use it. With mobile wallet you have to
authenticate before making a purchase.

2. Cashback. My main credit card offers 3% cash back on mobile wallet
purchases. The best physical card I have does only 2% (yes I know about
the 2.5% card from Alliant but it has hoops to jump through). 3% is 50%
more cash back than 2%. There is an annual fee of $75 but it is offset
by the cash back as well as some of the other perks.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoe1b$6o57$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43709&group=comp.mobile.android#43709

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:25:31 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:25 UTC

Am 06.08.23 um 16:56 schrieb Roger Mills:
> On 06/08/2023 15:35, The Real Bev wrote:
>> And a second question:  Why are "wallets" desirable?  It's easy enough
>> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
>> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
>> and leave at home next to my computer.  Actually, all I need for RL
>> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>>
>> Hence my question.
>>

> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
> spending *your* money with no questions asked. If you lose your phone,
> anyone who finds it would need to unlock it before being able to make
> purchases using Wallet. So that gives an extra level of security.

Paying with a phone is very clumsy and a phone is an additional attack
vector. The anecdotal evidence shows that after a short hype paying with
the phone is very much on the retreat again.

And in real life it is more probable that I forget my phone than I
forget my analogue wallet. And personally I do not like to put all my
eggs in one basket anyway.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoe3i$6o57$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43710&group=comp.mobile.android#43710

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:26:41 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:26 UTC

Am 06.08.23 um 17:25 schrieb sms:
> 1. Security. Lose a credit card in a country that doesn't use Chip & PIN
> (like the U.S.) and anyone can use it.

Such countries do not exist. And you are spreading bullshit again.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoe7s$6o56$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43712&group=comp.mobile.android#43712

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:29:00 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:29 UTC

Am 06.08.23 um 17:25 schrieb sms:
> 2. Cashback. My main credit card offers 3% cash back on mobile wallet
> purchases.

That is US-american nonsense and only shows that everyone else pays too
much and is subsidising such marketing stunts. My goodness!

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoebk$2bco2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43713&group=comp.mobile.android#43713

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:31:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:31 UTC

On 6 Aug 2023 07:35:57 -0700 The Real Bev wrote:
>On 8/6/23 4:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
>> or whatever?
>>
>> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
>> having the screen unlocked.
>>
>> Yes, I googled. Nothing.
>
>And a second question: Why are "wallets" desirable? It's easy enough
>to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
>shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
>and leave at home next to my computer. Actually, all I need for RL
>shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>
>Hence my question.

If you always carry a smartphone (and especially if you have a smart
watch) and you and have many contactless cards you /may/ find it useful.
If you're not you probably won't.

It's not only for money cards, by the way. It can hold travel passes and
tickets, membership cards - all sorts of contactless things.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Google Wallet

<uaogoc$2bvo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43717&group=comp.mobile.android#43717

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:11:54 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:11 UTC

On 8/6/23 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 06/08/2023 15:35, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 8/6/23 4:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
>>> or whatever?
>>>
>>> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
>>> having the screen unlocked.
>>>
>>> Yes, I googled. Nothing.
>>
>> And a second question:  Why are "wallets" desirable?  It's easy enough
>> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
>> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
>> and leave at home next to my computer.  Actually, all I need for RL
>> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>>
>> Hence my question.
>
> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
> spending *your* money with no questions asked. If you lose your phone,
> anyone who finds it would need to unlock it before being able to make
> purchases using Wallet. So that gives an extra level of security.

I don't lock my phone -- too much trouble to have to do more than push a
button to turn the screen back on. If I lose my card all I have to do
is make a phone call when I get home and they fix it. If I really push
it they'll overnight me a new one, but I've never needed that. If I
lose my phone I have hell's own trouble trying to replace it, restore my
settings, etc.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's true that Smokey Bear deserves praise for his

Re: Google Wallet

<abw7fjubwona$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43718&group=comp.mobile.android#43718

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 11:14:28 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:14 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
> or whatever?
>
> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
> having the screen unlocked.
>
> Yes, I googled. Nothing.

When I Googled on "google wallet security", I found:

https://safety.google/pay/

Google Pay requires authentication – via a pin, pattern or biometric –
to open the app or pay a person*
* Unlock requirements vary by country.

Lock your phone from anywhere
If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can use Google Find My
Device to remotely lock it, log out of your Google Account, or erase
your data. This keeps your payment info safe.

Actually the 2nd point is not a Google Wallet feature. It is an Android
feature provided in conjunction with your Google account.

Another article was:

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/12059519?hl=en

Sorry, I've never used Google Wallet, so cannot provide my own
step-by-step instructions on the various lockout methods.

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoh39$2c1ug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43720&group=comp.mobile.android#43720

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:17:43 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:17 UTC

On 8/6/23 8:31 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2023 07:35:57 -0700 The Real Bev wrote:
>>On 8/6/23 4:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to protect Google Wallet with pin, pattern or fingerprint
>>> or whatever?
>>>
>>> I mean, make the app prompt for ID. It is relying only on the phone
>>> having the screen unlocked.
>>>
>>> Yes, I googled. Nothing.
>>
>>And a second question: Why are "wallets" desirable? It's easy enough
>>to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
>>shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
>>and leave at home next to my computer. Actually, all I need for RL
>>shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>>
>>Hence my question.
>>
> If you always carry a smartphone (and especially if you have a smart
> watch) and you and have many contactless cards you /may/ find it useful.
> If you're not you probably won't.
>
> It's not only for money cards, by the way. It can hold travel passes and
> tickets, membership cards - all sorts of contactless things.

None of which are of any use to me.

There are real advantages of having grown up without addictive
electronic devices. We are free to use the conveniences they provide
while ignoring the 'features' that seem useless.

FWIW, 'Classic Words' is a PERFECT Android Scrabble game and requires no
internet connection.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's true that Smokey Bear deserves praise for his
campaign against forest fires, but nobody ever mentions
the park rangers he kills for their hats.

Re: Google Wallet

<uaohi9$2c40j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43723&group=comp.mobile.android#43723

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:25:45 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:25 UTC

On 8/6/2023 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
> spending *your* money with no questions asked.

If I KNOW I lost my credit card I can immediately stop it using my bank
app. No loss cause the card stops working.

If I DON'T KNOW I lost my credit card I will know with the first
fraudulent charge because my bank immediately notifies me by text of all
charges over $10. I can then immediately stop the card with the app.

And all fraudulent charges would be eventually reimbursed by my CC
company anyway.

And since I've never had a fraudulent charge in my lengthy life to date
it's not at the top of my worry list...

> If you lose your phone, anyone who finds it would need to unlock it
> before being able to make purchases using Wallet. So that gives an
> extra level of security.

Losing my phone would be a nightmare on so many levels. Here, please
take my credit card instead... ;)

Re: Google Wallet

<uaohih$2c40j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43724&group=comp.mobile.android#43724

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:25:53 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:25 UTC

On 8/6/2023 8:29 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 06.08.23 um 17:25 schrieb sms:

>> 2. Cashback. My main credit card offers 3% cash back on mobile
>> wallet purchases.

> That is US-american nonsense and only shows that everyone else pays
> too much and is subsidizing such marketing stunts. My goodness!

Naw. Those who know the system (like using credit card cash back and
dickering with car dealers) can come out ahead. The rest support us as
it should be... ;)

Worse yet...some of my retirement income comes from credit card company
dividends... 8-O

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoisj$2ce3s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43726&group=comp.mobile.android#43726

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:48:19 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:48 UTC

On 8/6/2023 9:11 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 8/6/23 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

<snip>

> I don't lock my phone -

Doesn't matter. Google Pay and Apple Pay still require authentication
even if the phone is unlocked.

I only use a physical credit card at the annoying stores that don't
accept Apple Pay or Google Pay: Daiso, Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart.

People still using physical credit cards are standing in the way of
human progress.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Google Wallet

<uaojb6$2ce3s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43727&group=comp.mobile.android#43727

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:56:07 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:56 UTC

On 8/6/2023 9:25 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 8/6/2023 8:29 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 06.08.23 um 17:25 schrieb sms:
>
>>> 2. Cashback. My main credit card offers 3% cash back on mobile
>>> wallet purchases.
>
>> That is US-american nonsense and only shows that everyone else pays
>> too much and is subsidizing such marketing stunts. My goodness!
>
> Naw. Those who know the system (like using credit card cash back and
> dickering with car dealers) can come out ahead. The rest support us as
> it should be...  ;)
>
> Worse yet...some of my retirement income comes from credit card company
> dividends... 8-O

I can't control what the banks charge merchants and what whether or not
merchants increase prices on everyone because of credit card fees. All I
can do is to work within the system that has been set up.

Remember that accepting cash has significant costs to a merchant as well
which is why many businesses in the U.S. no longer accept cash. I went
to a baseball game a week ago. All the vending is credit card or mobile
payment only. They have some machines where you can purchase a prepaid
Visa card using cash and they don't charge a fee to do this. >$14 for a
beer and then the vendor asks for tip to be added on.

I was also surprised to see a "Credit Cards Only" sign at the entrance
station to Yosemite National Park though I suspect that they would take
cash if the visitor had no other way to pay.

Credit cards do have other advantages to the merchant besides avoiding
all the costs involved with accepting cash (employee theft, robberies,
bank fees, longer transaction times, and counterfeit bills). People
using credit cards tend to spend more. This added profit offsets the
credit card fees.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Google Wallet

<uaojfq$2d1fp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43729&group=comp.mobile.android#43729

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:58:33 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:58 UTC

On 8/6/2023 9:48 AM, sms wrote:

> People still using physical credit cards are standing in the way of
> human progress.

People still using physical credit cards AND phones as credit cards are
standing in the way of human progress...

<https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/business/amazon-one-payment-whole-foods/index.html>

Re: Google Wallet

<uaojjb$2d2cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43730&group=comp.mobile.android#43730

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:00:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:00 UTC

On 6 Aug 2023 09:48:19 -0700 sms wrote:

>People still using physical credit cards are standing in the way of
>human progress.

People using Apple Pay and Google Wallet are usually standing in the way
of us credit card users trying to get though the ticket gates on the
London Underground ;)

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Google Wallet

<uaojqt$2d3mo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43731&group=comp.mobile.android#43731

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:04:27 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:04 UTC

On 8/6/23 9:48 AM, sms wrote:
> On 8/6/2023 9:11 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 8/6/23 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I don't lock my phone -
>
> Doesn't matter. Google Pay and Apple Pay still require authentication
> even if the phone is unlocked.
>
> I only use a physical credit card at the annoying stores that don't
> accept Apple Pay or Google Pay: Daiso, Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart.

You haven't overcome my 'harder to replace a phone than a credit card'
objection. I assume it's not possible.

> People still using physical credit cards are standing in the way of
> human progress.

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

Re: Google Wallet

<uaoktv$bua$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43732&group=comp.mobile.android#43732

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 19:23:11 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:23 UTC

Am 06.08.23 um 18:25 schrieb AJL:
> On 8/6/2023 8:29 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 06.08.23 um 17:25 schrieb sms:
>
>>> 2. Cashback. My main credit card offers 3% cash back on mobile
>>> wallet purchases.
>
>> That is US-american nonsense and only shows that everyone else pays
>> too much and is subsidizing such marketing stunts. My goodness!
>
> Naw. Those who know the system (like using credit card cash back and
> dickering with car dealers) can come out ahead. The rest support us as
> it should be... ;)
>
> Worse yet...some of my retirement income comes from credit card company
> dividends... 8-O

*ROTFLSTC* ;-)

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Google Wallet

<uaol0u$2da1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43733&group=comp.mobile.android#43733

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:24:44 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:24 UTC

On 8/6/23 9:25 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 8/6/2023 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
>> spending *your* money with no questions asked.
>
> If I KNOW I lost my credit card I can immediately stop it using my bank
> app. No loss cause the card stops working.

Who cares? The CC will cancel the fraudulent charges.

> If I DON'T KNOW I lost my credit card I will know with the first
> fraudulent charge because my bank immediately notifies me by text of all
> charges over $10. I can then immediately stop the card with the app.

....or with the phone call. If you lose your phone you have to borrow
someone else's phone to report it.

> And all fraudulent charges would be eventually reimbursed by my CC
> company anyway.
>
> And since I've never had a fraudulent charge in my lengthy life to date
> it's not at the top of my worry list...

I had one. Somebody (at a shop or on-line business where I had used my
card, presumably) bought a plane ticket from Dallas to London.

>> If you lose your phone, anyone who finds it would need to unlock it
>> before being able to make purchases using Wallet. So that gives an
>> extra level of security.
>
> Losing my phone would be a nightmare on so many levels. Here, please
> take my credit card instead... ;)

I've lost my card a number of times by THINKING I put it in my hip
pocket but in reality dropping it on the floor. The biggest problem is
being on hold for the next available operator... It would be nice if
"Card lost or stolen?" was the first rather than the last item in the
automated phone system, wouldn't it?

This has been a useful thread; it reminded me that I need to photograph
the front and back of all my cards.

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
but in practice there is.

Re: Google Wallet

<uaom45$2dgfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43734&group=comp.mobile.android#43734

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:43:31 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:43 UTC

On 8/6/2023 10:24 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 8/6/23 9:25 AM, AJL wrote:
>> On 8/6/2023 7:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
>>
>>> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can
>>> start spending *your* money with no questions asked.
>>
>> If I KNOW I lost my credit card I can immediately stop it using my
>> bank app. No loss cause the card stops working.
>
> Who cares? The CC will cancel the fraudulent charges.

Much easier to just stop the card with the app right away. Getting the
CC to cancel the (many?) charges later is a MUCH longer process...

>> If I DON'T KNOW I lost my credit card I will know with the first
>> fraudulent charge because my bank immediately notifies me by text
>> of all charges over $10. I can then immediately stop the card with
>> the app.

> ...or with the phone call. If you lose your phone you have to
> borrow someone else's phone to report it.

Maybe the wife will lend me her phone?

>> And all fraudulent charges would be eventually reimbursed by my CC
>> company anyway.
>>
>> And since I've never had a fraudulent charge in my lengthy life to
>> date it's not at the top of my worry list...
>
> I had one. Somebody (at a shop or on-line business where I had used
> my card, presumably) bought a plane ticket from Dallas to London.

I've apparently been lucky...

>>> If you lose your phone, anyone who finds it would need to unlock
>>> it before being able to make purchases using Wallet. So that
>>> gives an extra level of security.
>>
>> Losing my phone would be a nightmare on so many levels. Here,
>> please take my credit card instead... ;)
>
> I've lost my card a number of times by THINKING I put it in my hip
> pocket but in reality dropping it on the floor. The biggest problem
> is being on hold for the next available operator... It would be nice
> if "Card lost or stolen?" was the first rather than the last item in
> the automated phone system, wouldn't it?

Check your bank app. It's just a few pushes to stop the card for me...

> This has been a useful thread; it reminded me that I need to
> photograph the front and back of all my cards.

Why?

Re: Google Wallet

<060820231408111655%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43737&group=comp.mobile.android#43737

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 14:08:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 18:08 UTC

In article <uaoe18$2b764$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> (yes I know about
> the 2.5% card from Alliant but it has hoops to jump through).

nope. the only hoop to get the card is membership in the credit union.

the 2.5% rate requires maintaining $1000 in the checking account,
otherwise it's 1.5%, but for someone who has no issue paying $400/yr
annual fee for a credit card *and* the substantial additional spend to
justify it over a no fee card, that is not any sort of hoop.

> 3% is 50%
> more cash back than 2%. There is an annual fee of $75 but it is offset
> by the cash back as well as some of the other perks.

nope. the annual fee for your 3% card is $400, with a $325 credit *if*
you use the travel benefits.

Re: Google Wallet

<b5rvci95duagh8v38ju1haqn2vgnendu8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43740&group=comp.mobile.android#43740

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 11:56:57 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 18:56 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:25:31 +0200, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

>Am 06.08.23 um 16:56 schrieb Roger Mills:
>> On 06/08/2023 15:35, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> And a second question:  Why are "wallets" desirable?  It's easy enough
>>> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
>>> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
>>> and leave at home next to my computer.  Actually, all I need for RL
>>> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.
>>>
>>> Hence my question.
>>>

>> If you lose a contactless credit card, anyone who finds it can start
>> spending *your* money with no questions asked. If you lose your phone,
>> anyone who finds it would need to unlock it before being able to make
>> purchases using Wallet. So that gives an extra level of security.
>
>Paying with a phone is very clumsy and a phone is an additional attack
>vector. The anecdotal evidence shows that after a short hype paying with
>the phone is very much on the retreat again.
>
>And in real life it is more probable that I forget my phone than I
>forget my analogue wallet. And personally I do not like to put all my
>eggs in one basket anyway.

Me too. But be careful not to put any eggs in your wallet.

Re: Google Wallet

<u5svci9itf0a10dfookvtiirluopeiof3t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43742&group=comp.mobile.android#43742

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 07:29:41 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 19:29 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 07:35:57 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> And a second question: Why are "wallets" desirable? It's easy enough
> to slip a credit card in the 'cargo' pocket of my shorts when I go
> shopping, and it weighs far less than the phone which I usually forget
> and leave at home next to my computer. Actually, all I need for RL
> shopping is my card, my driver's license and my car keys.

I do not have any credit cards in my Google Wallet. I do have
electronic boarding passes. When airline check-in queues are long,
being able to get and use an e-pass is a great time-saver. That is
a good enough answer to your question.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Dum loquimur, fugerit invida ætas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Re: Google Wallet

<uap2nc$2frmd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43745&group=comp.mobile.android#43745

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 14:18:34 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:18 UTC

On 8/6/23 10:43 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 8/6/2023 10:24 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> If I KNOW I lost my credit card I can immediately stop it using my
>>> bank app. No loss cause the card stops working.
>>
>> Who cares? The CC will cancel the fraudulent charges.
>
> Much easier to just stop the card with the app right away. Getting the
> CC to cancel the (many?) charges later is a MUCH longer process...

No it's not. The nice lady lists recent purchases and asks if you made
them.

>>> If I DON'T KNOW I lost my credit card I will know with the first
>>> fraudulent charge because my bank immediately notifies me by text
>>> of all charges over $10. I can then immediately stop the card with
>>> the app.
>
>> ...or with the phone call. If you lose your phone you have to
>> borrow someone else's phone to report it.
>
> Maybe the wife will lend me her phone?

What, hubby was dumb enough to lose his phone? NO WAY, let HIM deal
with the problem. I'll go make sandwiches.

>>> And all fraudulent charges would be eventually reimbursed by my CC
>>> company anyway.
>>>
>>> And since I've never had a fraudulent charge in my lengthy life to
>>> date it's not at the top of my worry list...
>>
>> I had one. Somebody (at a shop or on-line business where I had used
>> my card, presumably) bought a plane ticket from Dallas to London.
>
> I've apparently been lucky...

You use only ONE card? I use the one that gives me the best
discount/rebate at the type of store I'm in. Plus the one at home that
gives me 5% on utilities...

>>> Losing my phone would be a nightmare on so many levels. Here,
>>> please take my credit card instead... ;)
>>
>> I've lost my card a number of times by THINKING I put it in my hip
>> pocket but in reality dropping it on the floor. The biggest problem
>> is being on hold for the next available operator... It would be nice
>> if "Card lost or stolen?" was the first rather than the last item in
>> the automated phone system, wouldn't it?
>
> Check your bank app. It's just a few pushes to stop the card for me...

My cards are NOT on my phone and I rarely use the bank credit card.
Have you forgotten that in the example my phone was lost or stolen? I
doubt that the thief would wait while I pushed the button.

>> This has been a useful thread; it reminded me that I need to
>> photograph the front and back of all my cards.
>
> Why?

So if I lose a card I don't have to dig out my hubby's card(s) to find
the number(s) to cal and have a handy list of all the cardsl. Besides,
there are cards that he doesn't have because I do all the shopping and
he doesn't want any more than he might need if I were suddenly unable to
shop. Besides, it's embarrassing to have to admit that I lost he damn
card AGAIN!

8 CC's and 13 things like library cards, AAA, DL, etc. Not the first
phone calls to make.

--
Cheers, Bev
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Wallet