The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.

computers / comp.mobile.android / New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

SubjectAuthor
* New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.micky
+* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Carlos E. R.
|+* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Jörg Lorenz
||`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.s|b
|| +* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Joerg Lorenz
|| |+- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Arno Welzel
|| |`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Carlos E. R.
|| | +* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Jörg Lorenz
|| | `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Jörg Lorenz
|| |  +- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Frank Slootweg
|| |  `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Carlos E.R.
|| |   `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Jörg Lorenz
|| |    `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Frank Slootweg
|| |     `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
|| `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Frank Slootweg
|+* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.micky
||`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.micky
|| `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
| `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Joerg Lorenz
|  `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Arno Welzel
|   +- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
|   `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Joerg Lorenz
|    `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
|     `* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.micky
|      `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
+* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Jörg Lorenz
|`- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
+* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
|`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Joerg Lorenz
| `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Andrew
`* Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.Arno Welzel
 `- Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.micky

Pages:123
New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<6c2eqidim51i78jeq9e2u15j4v8jpb8g12@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49171&group=comp.mobile.android#49171

Path: i2pn2.org!rocksolid2!news.neodome.net!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!1.us.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!feeder.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!posting.tweaknews.nl!fx12.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:34:25 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 03:34 UTC

I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.

This seems very strange.

Any suggestsions.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0pn9sFko99U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49185&group=comp.mobile.android#49185

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:09:00 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:09 UTC

On 2024-01-17 04:34, micky wrote:
> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
> to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
> whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
> them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
> won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.
>
> This seems very strange.
>
> Any suggestsions.

There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one). That's
where new contacts go. Whatsapp simply keeps track of it and adds some
more info somewhere (if the contact has whatsapp, the photo, whatever).

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo89nk$1uu8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49186&group=comp.mobile.android#49186

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:21:39 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:21 UTC

Am 17.01.24 um 04:34 schrieb micky:
> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
> to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
> whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
> them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
> won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.
>
> This seems very strange.

That's the infamous business model of WA. Do you really think you get
the service for free? *You expose all your contacts*. Are you aware of this?

> Any suggestsions.

The sources of addresses/contacts for WA is your *complete addressbook*.
That's their business model. That's valid for most of the third party
messengers.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo8a5p$1uu8n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49187&group=comp.mobile.android#49187

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:29 UTC

Am 17.01.24 um 11:09 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2024-01-17 04:34, micky wrote:
>> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
>> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
>> to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
>> whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
>> them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
>> won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.
>>
>> This seems very strange.
>>
>> Any suggestsions.
>
> There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one). That's
> where new contacts go. Whatsapp simply keeps track of it and adds some
> more info somewhere (if the contact has whatsapp, the photo, whatever).

And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
on company phones. Even in the US banks were fined a couple of hundred
million Dollars because employees used WA against all regulations.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<47gfqitqelsg2q533rheb3c27312cddibd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49190&group=comp.mobile.android#49190

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:05:00 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:09:00 +0100, "Carlos E.
R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2024-01-17 04:34, micky wrote:
>> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
>> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
>> to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
>> whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
>> them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
>> won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.
>>
>> This seems very strange.
>>
>> Any suggestsions.
>
>There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one). That's
>where new contacts go. Whatsapp simply keeps track of it and adds some
>more info somewhere (if the contact has whatsapp, the photo, whatever).

That would make sense. Perhaps he isn't enrolled in whatsapp so they
won't make an entry for him? That would sort of surprise me because he
was a lawyer, he got around, wasn't afraid of airplanes or travel.

OTOH, he wouldn't buy anything made in China, even when somethings were
hard to get except those made in China. So maybe he read the warnings
in this thread and decided against whatsapp.

I've emailed him to ask him.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0q3o3Fo0tiU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49194&group=comp.mobile.android#49194

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:41:25 +0100
 by: s|b - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:41 UTC

On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

> And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
> this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
> on company phones.

They do? Which ones?

> Even in the US banks were fined a couple of hundred
> million Dollars because employees used WA against all regulations.

Source?

--
s|b

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo8o7j$2hrt$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49195&group=comp.mobile.android#49195

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:29:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:E94IdoDckjjAS3LIEu2vBpTWqFQ= sha256:vG8rE/Z9DspW8tm4eYy6VDnMs4b10PBOZvXyykQnYQ8=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:29 UTC

micky wrote on Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:34:25 -0500 :

> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
> to go in the whatsapp contact list

This is wrong.

WhatsApp has no access to your Android contacts database if set up right.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo8odb$2lb9$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49196&group=comp.mobile.android#49196

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:32:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1E+b28MFkpJ/B1rx7EZZ2y5MCP8= sha256:m4ixMFFt06+4LFYGphzS/mDU5aEs/QEiP9msr4ERdLY=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:32 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:09:00 +0100 :

> There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one).

This is wrong.

There may be only one /default/ contact database.
But WhatsApp has a /direct dialer/ that maintains its own contacts.

As do all good contacts, dialers, SMS/MMS and VOIP programs on Android.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo8olt$1vt$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49197&group=comp.mobile.android#49197

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:36:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MnDmuxMem351WZgUoX+boRjb0zY= sha256:RkBa+1bAj5FZT1C4DyqF4z2B9CgJdIw0z7nHH4FgeH0=
 by: Andrew - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:36 UTC

J�rg Lorenz wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:21:39 +0100 :

> The sources of addresses/contacts for WA is your *complete addressbook*.

This is completely false.

The main reason is WhatsApp hashes the contacts so all they store is the
hash & another reason is WhatsApp can be set up to use the direct dialer.

Once you use the WhatsApp direct dialer, only /that/ contact is stored.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo90s1$23s36$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49205&group=comp.mobile.android#49205

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:56:33 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:56 UTC

On 17.01.24 14:41, s|b wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
>> this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
>> on company phones.
>
> They do? Which ones?

All. Otherwise they are in breach of the GDPR. Can be extremely
expensive and painful. Hence my connotation that *WA is for housewifes
and teenagers*. And forget this bullshit about E2E-encryption.

>> Even in the US banks were fined a couple of hundred
>> million Dollars because employees used WA against all regulations.
>
> Source?

I posted it a couple of months ago in this group.
Especially for the Trolls:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/08/business/banks-fines-whatsapp-records.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-27/wall-street-whatsapp-probe-poised-to-result-in-historic-fine

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo90v5$23s36$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49206&group=comp.mobile.android#49206

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:58:13 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

On 17.01.24 15:32, Andrew wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:09:00 +0100 :
>
>> There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one).
>
> This is wrong.
>
> There may be only one /default/ contact database.
> But WhatsApp has a /direct dialer/ that maintains its own contacts.
>
> As do all good contacts, dialers, SMS/MMS and VOIP programs on Android.

Thats wrong AFAIK. Can you deliver proof of this claim? I guess you can't.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo9168$23s36$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49207&group=comp.mobile.android#49207

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:02:00 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:02 UTC

On 17.01.24 15:29, Andrew wrote:
> micky wrote on Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:34:25 -0500 :
>
>> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
>> to go in the whatsapp contact list
>
> This is wrong.
>
> WhatsApp has no access to your Android contacts database if set up right.

This is definitely wrong. With work arounds it is possible but the list
is unusable and contains only numbers.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0qh12F1lfgU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49218&group=comp.mobile.android#49218

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:28:03 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:28 UTC

micky, 2024-01-17 04:34:

> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try

And the person you want to call has to have WhatsApp as well. Just
because someone is in a contact list does not mean, you can use WhatsApp
to call someone.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0qh6cF1lfgU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49219&group=comp.mobile.android#49219

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:30:52 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:30 UTC

Joerg Lorenz, 2024-01-17 17:56:

> On 17.01.24 14:41, s|b wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>
>>> And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
>>> this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
>>> on company phones.
>>
>> They do? Which ones?
>
> All. Otherwise they are in breach of the GDPR. Can be extremely
> expensive and painful. Hence my connotation that *WA is for housewifes
> and teenagers*. And forget this bullshit about E2E-encryption.
>
>>> Even in the US banks were fined a couple of hundred
>>> million Dollars because employees used WA against all regulations.
>>
>> Source?
>
> I posted it a couple of months ago in this group.
> Especially for the Trolls:
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/08/business/banks-fines-whatsapp-records.html
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-27/wall-street-whatsapp-probe-poised-to-result-in-historic-fine

Better - without PayWall or need to register to read the stuff:

<https://www.reuters.com/business/us-sec-nearing-settlement-with-wall-street-firms-over-whatsapp-probe-sources-2023-09-28/>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0qhbjF1lfgU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49220&group=comp.mobile.android#49220

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:33:39 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:33 UTC

Joerg Lorenz, 2024-01-17 17:58:

<https://github.com/alejandrolopezparra/AndroidContactsDatabase-tools>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<cm0gqipbodtckgt7frn35i73dlt9pl270l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49221&group=comp.mobile.android#49221

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:41:22 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:41 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:05:00 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:09:00 +0100, "Carlos E.
>R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2024-01-17 04:34, micky wrote:
>>> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
>>> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
>>> to put in a contact, it shows up in the general contact list and not the
>>> whatsapp list. Tried 4 times, Paul2, Paul3, Paul4, and Paul5. All of
>>> them promptly showed up in the general contacts list. And there they
>>> won't work for me, to enable whatsapp calls.
>>>
>>> This seems very strange.
>>>
>>> Any suggestsions.
>>
>>There is only one contact list, the system one (the general one). That's
>>where new contacts go. Whatsapp simply keeps track of it and adds some
>>more info somewhere (if the contact has whatsapp, the photo, whatever).
>
>That would make sense. Perhaps he isn't enrolled in whatsapp so they
>won't make an entry for him? That would sort of surprise me because he
>was a lawyer, he got around, wasn't afraid of airplanes or travel.
>
>OTOH, he wouldn't buy anything made in China, even when somethings were
>hard to get except those made in China. So maybe he read the warnings
>in this thread and decided against whatsapp.
>
>I've emailed him to ask him.

He already wrote back: Not on whatsapp. He "appreciates the thought,
that I wanted to show him on video where I was."

So I think I almost understand how it works.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<4u0gqitdrt24d3b9rsrdqcdto8r5bn1fr8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49223&group=comp.mobile.android#49223

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:46:44 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:46 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:28:03 +0100, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-01-17 04:34:
>
>> I understand that to call someone with whatsapp, his name and number has
>> to go in the whatsapp contact list, but when I'm in whatsapp and I try
>
>And the person you want to call has to have WhatsApp as well. Just
>because someone is in a contact list does not mean, you can use WhatsApp
>to call someone.

I knew that, but it wasn't in the forefront of my mind. I would have
been sure he had it anyhow, but he writes me now that he does not.

Do entries made from the regular dialer have lines for using whatsapp,
or are those entries ones I made while in whatsapp. I have more than
one entry for the same person, one with whatsapp lines and one without.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo93un$24rp1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49224&group=comp.mobile.android#49224

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:49:09 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:49 UTC

On 17.01.24 17:41, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:05:00 -0500, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> OTOH, he wouldn't buy anything made in China, even when somethings were
>> hard to get except those made in China. So maybe he read the warnings
>> in this thread and decided against whatsapp.
>>
>> I've emailed him to ask him.
>
> He already wrote back: Not on whatsapp. He "appreciates the thought,
> that I wanted to show him on video where I was."

Wise man.

> So I think I almost understand how it works.

Very good.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo9hdp.5v8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49233&group=comp.mobile.android#49233

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 17 Jan 2024 20:39:12 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:39 UTC

s|b <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>
> > And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
> > this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
> > on company phones.
>
> They do? Which ones?

Get ready for utter deafening silence.

> > Even in the US banks were fined a couple of hundred
> > million Dollars because employees used WA against all regulations.
>
> Source?

Get ready for a cite which does not back up what he implies.

BTW, I'm amazed why he needs a 'cite' from accross the pond. Why can't
he just use a similar Dutch (non-)case which I gave him in an earlier
iteration of his endless foot-stamping?

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0qt1hF45niU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49235&group=comp.mobile.android#49235

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:53:05 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:53 UTC

On 2024-01-17 17:56, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> On 17.01.24 14:41, s|b wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:13 +0100, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>
>>> And everyone in the contacts - if they like it or not - is exposed to
>>> this criminal gang. That is why European companies forbid the use of WA
>>> on company phones.
>>
>> They do? Which ones?
>
> All. Otherwise they are in breach of the GDPR. Can be extremely
> expensive and painful. Hence my connotation that *WA is for housewifes
> and teenagers*. And forget this bullshit about E2E-encryption.

False.

I know people on important technology companies, with company phones,
and using wasap.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uo9i48$273dv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49238&group=comp.mobile.android#49238

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:51:04 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:51 UTC

Am 17.01.24 um 21:53 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2024-01-17 17:56, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> They do? Which ones?
>>
>> All. Otherwise they are in breach of the GDPR. Can be extremely
>> expensive and painful. Hence my connotation that *WA is for housewifes
>> and teenagers*. And forget this bullshit about E2E-encryption.
>
> False.

Sweet. Because you cannot handle an attack on your beloved housewife toy?

> I know people on important technology companies, with company phones,
> and using wasap.

That does not relativize what I say. The European law is clear about that.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uoar5d$t6r$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49247&group=comp.mobile.android#49247

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:31:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9zjvhl4TbGmNhhTlC7bXq2742tg= sha256:Z2WrptAXaNdnoSwVHp9b5ZF7hJf5zLOs4SyYM/9g8IA=
 by: Andrew - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:31 UTC

Arno Welzel wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:33:39 +0100 :

>>> As do all good contacts, dialers, SMS/MMS and VOIP programs on Android.
>>
>> Thats wrong AFAIK. Can you deliver proof of this claim? I guess you can't.
>
> <https://github.com/alejandrolopezparra/AndroidContactsDatabase-tools>

It's futile to explain to the previous poster (Mr. Lorenz) that he doesn't
know what he's talking about with respect to the statement I made of:
"As do all good contacts, dialers, SMS/MMS and VOIP programs on Android."

It only takes one app to prove that "Mr. Lorenz" wrong, so here is one.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts/

Here's what it says about it so people can see what good apps actually do.
"This app saves contacts in its own database separate from android
contacts. This way no other app would be able to access contacts.

Can be used in place of your default phone(dialer) app.
It can import contacts from vCard files.
So we can export Android contacts and import into this app.
Maintains call log as well.
Also shows the person's name upon receiving call"

They even go so far as to provide the justification for private contacts.

"Even though we are not having any problem sharing our mobile number with
all third parties, people in our phone book might have. We should not be
sharing their contact information online."

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uoardj$1jd0$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49248&group=comp.mobile.android#49248

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:35:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xn19IgnKvHOtpleQTs7Z0dtVY44= sha256:US0VUHwpaH/NaNoVf20IlcVsGbmqaXX8x6T0GEOQ3eI=
 by: Andrew - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:35 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote on Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:02:00 +0100 :

>> WhatsApp has no access to your Android contacts database if set up right.
>
> This is definitely wrong. With work arounds it is possible but the list
> is unusable and contains only numbers.

What's becoming obvious is that EVERYTHING you say is completely wrong.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=whatsapp%20dialer&c=apps

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<l0sak5FchkaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49249&group=comp.mobile.android#49249

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:51:01 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:51 UTC

On 2024-01-17 22:51, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 17.01.24 um 21:53 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

>>> All. Otherwise they are in breach of the GDPR. Can be extremely
>>> expensive and painful. Hence my connotation that *WA is for housewifes
>>> and teenagers*. And forget this bullshit about E2E-encryption.
>>
>> False.
>
> Sweet. Because you cannot handle an attack on your beloved housewife toy?
>
>> I know people on important technology companies, with company phones,
>> and using wasap.
>
> That does not relativize what I say. The European law is clear about that.

Yeah, sure.

Because you hate wasap, we have to believe you?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: New whatsapp contacts go in general contacs list, not in whatsapp's.

<uoauqp$2hvu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49251&group=comp.mobile.android#49251

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
whatsapp's.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:34:01 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:34 UTC

On 18.01.24 10:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-17 22:51, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> False.
>>
>> Sweet. Because you cannot handle an attack on your beloved housewife toy?
>>
>>> I know people on important technology companies, with company phones,
>>> and using wasap.
>>
>> That does not relativize what I say. The European law is clear about that.
>>

> Yeah, sure.
>
> Because you hate wasap, we have to believe you?

Just read the text of the law. It is so easy.
To help you to understand the topic and its scope I add the link of
Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

There is a separate article concerning the fines in case of
noncompliance. The mentioned figures further above in this thread give
you an idea of the possible financial implications.

https://gdpr-info.eu

--
"Manus manum lavat."