I'll say it again for the logic impaired. -- Larry Wall

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: cheap me

SubjectAuthor
* cheap meMark Cleary
+- Re: cheap meTom Kunich
+* Re: cheap meLou Holtman
+- Re: cheap merussellseaton1@yahoo.com
+* Re: cheap mefunkma...@hotmail.com
|`* Re: cheap meAMuzi
| `* Re: cheap meFrank Krygowski
|  `* Re: cheap meAMuzi
|   +- Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   +- Re: cheap meJohn B.
|   +* Re: cheap meRalph Barone
|   |`* Re: cheap meJohn B.
|   | `* Re: cheap meAMuzi
|   |  `* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |   `* Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |    +* Re: cheap meAMuzi
|   |    |+* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |    ||`- Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |    |`- Re: cheap meJohn B.
|   |    `* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |     `* Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |      +* Re: cheap meRoger Merriman
|   |      |+* Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |      ||`- Re: cheap meRoger Merriman
|   |      |`- Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |      +* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |      |`- Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |      `* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |       `* Re: cheap meLou Holtman
|   |        `* Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |         +- Re: cheap meTom Kunich
|   |         +* Re: cheap meJohn B.
|   |         |`* Re: cheap merussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|   |         | `- Re: cheap meJohn B.
|   |         `- Re: cheap meFrank Krygowski
|   `- Re: cheap meTom Kunich
`* Re: cheap mesms
 `* Re: cheap meMark Cleary
  `- Re: cheap meTom Kunich

Pages:12
Re: cheap me

<65148d6b-1afe-4d8d-8ae2-5f4b3014bd14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55404&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55404

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 11:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: cheap me
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 4 May 2022 18:18 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:02:00 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:51:07 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > I think that we can all agree that Shimano and Campagnolo deliver superior products with high quality control. But when you want light weight for a reasonable price, close inspection isn't too high a price to pay. A Super Record cassette costs over 10 times as much as that set I showed.
> > Strange trying to save about 100 gr max on a wear item.
> >
> > Lou
> Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?

300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.

Lou

Re: cheap me

<18f99ebd-4420-4a66-b5d6-add57453f738n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55405&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55405

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 11:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 4 May 2022 18:20 UTC

Pff;
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Campagnolo/Super-Record-12-speed-Cassette-p65023/

Lou

Re: cheap me

<t4uobm$16l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55408&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55408

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 20:40:22 -0000 (UTC)
<1ae5bf18-5fc8-41b9-b81b-bec73e520dd3n@googlegroups.com>
<65148d6b-1afe-4d8d-8ae2-5f4b3014bd14n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:pT112Nlbq4tJwBDP008o/vuBg/Y=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:40 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:02:00 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> Strange trying to save about 100 gr max on a wear item.
>>>
>>> Lou
>> Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I
>> get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy
>> Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
>
> 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super
> Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that
> a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium
> cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three
> largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100
> gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which
> would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
>
> Lou

Looking at Shimano road stuff so 12speed Dura Ace vs Ultegra is £200 pounds
lighter wallet! Verse 100 grams saved.

I rather suspect no one will notice that 100g!

Roger Merriman

Re: cheap me

<3e30464b-125a-4815-ac74-5b65fdc54447n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55410&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55410

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 14:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 4 May 2022 21:05 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 10:40:25 PM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I
> >> get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy
> >> Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> >
> > 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super
> > Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that
> > a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium
> > cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three
> > largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100
> > gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which
> > would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> Looking at Shimano road stuff so 12speed Dura Ace vs Ultegra is £200 pounds
> lighter wallet! Verse 100 grams saved.
>
> I rather suspect no one will notice that 100g!
>
> Roger Merriman

100 gr?
11-30 DA 12 sp = 223 gr and 350 euro
11-30 Ultegra 12 sp = 291 gr and 106 euro.

Ultegra or even 105 level for cassettes is a no brainer. If people want to save weight most people can save a 'lot' on saddles. Spend once and you are done.

Lou

Re: cheap me

<t4uqnd$rfn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55411&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55411

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 21:20:45 -0000 (UTC)
<1ae5bf18-5fc8-41b9-b81b-bec73e520dd3n@googlegroups.com>
<65148d6b-1afe-4d8d-8ae2-5f4b3014bd14n@googlegroups.com>
<t4uobm$16l$1@dont-email.me>
<3e30464b-125a-4815-ac74-5b65fdc54447n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:u/SJhIFGV8eg/X4RImAeJZ0xBNo=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 4 May 2022 21:20 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 10:40:25 PM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super
>>> Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that
>>> a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium
>>> cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three
>>> largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100
>>> gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which
>>> would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>> Looking at Shimano road stuff so 12speed Dura Ace vs Ultegra is £200 pounds
>> lighter wallet! Verse 100 grams saved.
>>
>> I rather suspect no one will notice that 100g!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> 100 gr?
> 11-30 DA 12 sp = 223 gr and 350 euro
> 11-30 Ultegra 12 sp = 291 gr and 106 euro.
>
> Ultegra or even 105 level for cassettes is a no brainer. If people want
> to save weight most people can save a 'lot' on saddles. Spend once and you are done.
>
> Lou

11-34 I looked at so 253g vs 345g as the cassette size grows the so does
the weight and the difference between premium and mundane, MTB cassette can
get close to 700g! But a XTR will shave that back to 367g.

I personally am still on 10s so things are still in stock and cheap!

Roger Merriman

Re: cheap me

<d451885b-ddf9-4017-9955-ba80b603185bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55414&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55414

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 14:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 4 May 2022 21:45 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:02:00 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > Strange trying to save about 100 gr max on a wear item.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy Record.. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
Well, I don't have a way of showing you a picture of my scale

Re: cheap me

<16bfdce4-797c-4e43-a38c-7a9d1de75605n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55415&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55415

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 14:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 4 May 2022 21:51 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 1:40:25 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I
> >> get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy
> >> Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> >
> > 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super
> > Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that
> > a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium
> > cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three
> > largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100
> > gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which
> > would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> Looking at Shimano road stuff so 12speed Dura Ace vs Ultegra is £200 pounds
> lighter wallet! Verse 100 grams saved.
>
> I rather suspect no one will notice that 100g!

Oh, I agree with you Roger, but I'm not buying in for the weight savings but for the price. And the weight savings is simply a nice addition.

Re: cheap me

<2c078aaf-720f-413d-980a-7b984c9a384an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55416&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55416

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:23 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:45:26 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> > 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
> Well, I don't have a way of showing you a picture of my scale

Of course not. For reference a whole cassette weighs around or less than 300 gr. How can the difference be 300 grams? Using some of the Mickey Mouse units?

Lou

Re: cheap me

<47e86ba6-0119-48d8-b3c0-ceb9e57aea88n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55417&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55417

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:28 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:02:00 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > Strange trying to save about 100 gr max on a wear item.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy Record.. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I am comparing a $30 cassette with a Centaur and a Chorus that I have laying about. The Centaur 11 speed with cap is 900 grams! So the 300 gram $32 ultralight simply makes that look silly. Wouldn't you agree?

As you say, these are wear items and I can't tell much difference in shifting from the Chorus to the Chinese copy.

Re: cheap me

<4c99b079-2336-4187-8280-06b02bc405d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55419&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55419

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:42:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:42 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:28:09 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Well, I sort of agree with you. It is almost 300 grams difference and I get the same life out of the lightweight cassette as out of a Campy Record. Why buy a heavier Record that costs 10 ties as much?
> > 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
> Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I am comparing a $30 cassette with a Centaur and a Chorus that I have laying about. The Centaur 11 speed with cap is 900 grams! So the 300 gram $32 ultralight simply makes that look silly. Wouldn't you agree?
>
> As you say, these are wear items and I can't tell much difference in shifting from the Chorus to the Chinese copy.

A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette.

Lou

Re: cheap me

<8v167h9tkqrv0tc6fa2nqg4629bmefr6co@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55421&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55421

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 06:18:15 +0700
References: <a22f1c9f-9f7c-4665-83be-608b39de5853n@googlegroups.com> <0deda875-77ff-4247-aa38-30fd2888486an@googlegroups.com> <t4hdg6$qlv$1@dont-email.me> <t4hheh$pm7$1@dont-email.me> <t4hl4a$ors$1@dont-email.me> <t4ht72$1e70$1@gioia.aioe.org> <4m0p6hh9jn6h5vn11ug1qtgib65g8ioj2d@4ax.com> <t4i9b8$rvt$2@dont-email.me> <b6a81910-21b6-442c-93d2-95d2b083fba8n@googlegroups.com> <45badcf1-331f-4848-ae01-582c47e52a37n@googlegroups.com> <t4uae1$nor$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:18 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 11:42:41 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 5/4/2022 10:51 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> I think that we can all agree that Shimano and Campagnolo deliver superior products with high quality control. But when you want light weight for a reasonable price, close inspection isn't too high a price to pay. A Super Record cassette costs over 10 times as much as that set I showed.
>>

>> Strange trying to save about 100 gr max on a wear item.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>+1
>Or, in the photo above, save $30 on unknown chinese
>material. Standard cassettes enjoy many iterations and much
>engineering attention. Substandard or 'super duper' can have
>diminishing returns.

I think it all falls back on a very old saying, "You pays your money
and you takes your choice". Which can also be stated as "if you want
cheap then buy cheap and if you want quality then buy quality".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: cheap me

<0a729839-a18a-423d-8b2d-272e486f2483n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55423&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55423

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 5 May 2022 00:29 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 3:42:15 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 12:28:09 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > 300 grams difference? I don't believe that. Difference between Super Record 11 speed cassette and a 11 speed Chorus cassette is the fact that a Super Record cassette the largest three cogs are titanium. Titanium cluster 91 grams, steel cluster 141 gr; difference 50 grams. If the three largest cogs would be aluminum the different still would be less than 100 gr. I don't see all titanium cassettes (Campagnolo and Shimano) which would even be more stupid let alone aluminum.
> > Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I am comparing a $30 cassette with a Centaur and a Chorus that I have laying about. The Centaur 11 speed with cap is 900 grams! So the 300 gram $32 ultralight simply makes that look silly. Wouldn't you agree?
> >
> > As you say, these are wear items and I can't tell much difference in shifting from the Chorus to the Chinese copy.
> A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale.. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette.

You're correct, I made a mistake. The Centaur cassette is actually 360 grams. I had the scale on the lb scale and it was .900 pounds.

Re: cheap me

<cdf5cb81-27f9-47f6-b9e0-8950b0edf3aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55424&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55424

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 17:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 5 May 2022 00:34 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 5:29:54 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 3:42:15 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I am comparing a $30 cassette with a Centaur and a Chorus that I have laying about. The Centaur 11 speed with cap is 900 grams! So the 300 gram $32 ultralight simply makes that look silly. Wouldn't you agree?
> > >
> > > As you say, these are wear items and I can't tell much difference in shifting from the Chorus to the Chinese copy.
> > A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette..
> You're correct, I made a mistake. The Centaur cassette is actually 360 grams. I had the scale on the lb scale and it was .900 pounds.
..76 lbs I suppose. I must have weighed a different cassette than the one I have in the box in the front of the cabinet.

Re: cheap me

<5r967hlm6p0ffg5opda6k55789rka5emgq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55428&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55428

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 08:27:06 +0700
References: <4m0p6hh9jn6h5vn11ug1qtgib65g8ioj2d@4ax.com> <t4i9b8$rvt$2@dont-email.me> <b6a81910-21b6-442c-93d2-95d2b083fba8n@googlegroups.com> <45badcf1-331f-4848-ae01-582c47e52a37n@googlegroups.com> <1ae5bf18-5fc8-41b9-b81b-bec73e520dd3n@googlegroups.com> <65148d6b-1afe-4d8d-8ae2-5f4b3014bd14n@googlegroups.com> <47e86ba6-0119-48d8-b3c0-ceb9e57aea88n@googlegroups.com> <4c99b079-2336-4187-8280-06b02bc405d2n@googlegroups.com> <0a729839-a18a-423d-8b2d-272e486f2483n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:27 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 3:42:15 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

>> > Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I am comparing a $30 cassette with a Centaur and a Chorus that I have laying about. The Centaur 11 speed with cap is 900 grams! So the 300 gram $32 ultralight simply makes that look silly. Wouldn't you agree?
>> >
>> > As you say, these are wear items and I can't tell much difference in shifting from the Chorus to the Chinese copy.
>> A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette.
>
>You're correct, I made a mistake. The Centaur cassette is actually 360 grams. I had the scale on the lb scale and it was .900 pounds.

Errr.... TOMMY!
From what I read 0.900 pounds is equal to 408.2331 grams or to put it
another way, 360 grams is equal to 0.7936641 pounds
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=convert+pounds+to+grams&ia=answer

Apparently you have a problem with numbers. Try taking your shoes off
when you get to numbers more then 10.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: cheap me

<90de26d0-4f3f-443d-a982-5f2a6834b5bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55434&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55434

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:59 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 5:29:54 PM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 3:42:15 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> >
> > A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette..
> You're correct, I made a mistake. The Centaur cassette is actually 360 grams. I had the scale on the lb scale and it was .900 pounds.

So many mistakes. So many problems.

- Frank Krygowski

Re: cheap me

<018759be-bd1c-42f0-bcae-014fe57faf0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55438&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55438

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 20:31:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 5 May 2022 03:31 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 8:27:13 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2022 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> A Centaur 11 sp cassette weight 900 grams? A Rohloff speedhub weighs 1500 gr. This is getting ridiculous and I would advise you to get another scale. A Centaur cassette weighs about the same (steel lock ring) as a Chorus cassette (aluminum lock ring) that is listed at 230 gr for a 11-23 cassette.
> >
> >You're correct, I made a mistake. The Centaur cassette is actually 360 grams. I had the scale on the lb scale and it was .900 pounds.
> Errr.... TOMMY!
> From what I read 0.900 pounds is equal to 408.2331 grams or to put it
> another way, 360 grams is equal to 0.7936641 pounds
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=convert+pounds+to+grams&ia=answer
>
> Apparently you have a problem with numbers. Try taking your shoes off
> when you get to numbers more then 10.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: cheap me

<6ik67h566vcq8mun6ib1iiparqdhfub88m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55448&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55448

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 11:31:25 +0700
References: <45badcf1-331f-4848-ae01-582c47e52a37n@googlegroups.com> <1ae5bf18-5fc8-41b9-b81b-bec73e520dd3n@googlegroups.com> <65148d6b-1afe-4d8d-8ae2-5f4b3014bd14n@googlegroups.com> <47e86ba6-0119-48d8-b3c0-ceb9e57aea88n@googlegroups.com> <4c99b079-2336-4187-8280-06b02bc405d2n@googlegroups.com> <0a729839-a18a-423d-8b2d-272e486f2483n@googlegroups.com> <5r967hlm6p0ffg5opda6k55789rka5emgq@4ax.com> <018759be-bd1c-42f0-bcae-014fe57faf0bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Thu, 5 May 2022 04:31 UTC