Why are there always boycotts? Shouldn't there be girlcotts too? -- argon on #Linux

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

SubjectAuthor
* Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructurepurushottam gaurav
`* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureTom Kunich
 `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureJohn B.
  `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructuresms
   `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureAMuzi
    +* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureJohn B.
    |+* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructurerussellseaton1@yahoo.com
    ||`* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureJohn B.
    || +- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureAMuzi
    || `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructurerussellseaton1@yahoo.com
    ||  +* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureAMuzi
    ||  |`- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureTom Kunich
    ||  `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureJohn B.
    ||   `- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureRoger Merriman
    |`- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructuresms
    `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureTom Kunich
     `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureFrank Krygowski
      `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureRoger Merriman
       `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructuresms
        `* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureJohn B.
         +* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureRoger Merriman
         |+* Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureRolf Mantel
         ||`- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureRoger Merriman
         |`- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructuresms
         +- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureFrank Krygowski
         +- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructuresms
         `- Re: Electric Vehicle Charging InfrastructureAMuzi

Pages:12
Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

<t731ca$j1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57318&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57318

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 11:11:20 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 30 May 2022 18:11 UTC

On 5/28/2022 4:42 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:

<snip>

> Personally the absolute range is enough but not having off street parking
> charging locally isn’t a option so any EV would need the occasional trip to
> charge which i suspect would get tedious!
>
> Trips west to wales etc, not so much a problem due to the above chargers on
> the motorways but locally would be less fun.

In my area there's no shortage of public chargers but the cost per KWH
is pretty high.

In California, developers have been lobbying to forbid cities to require
off-street parking in new housing projects. This is a big problem for
electric vehicle owners. Most people will still have cars even if they
place they live has no parking and no charging, they'll just park on the
street in adjoining neighborhoods. Not being able to charge their
vehicle overnight is a big hassle.

The problem is that the entities with a lot of money get these laws,
that benefit themselves financially, passed by donating money to
legislators. We all suffer as a result, but as is often the case, those
in lower economic situations suffer the most from these laws. The
justification that is used for these laws is "if we don't provide
parking then everyone will have to use public transit."

Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

<t731pr$m9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57320&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57320

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 18:18:35 -0000 (UTC)
<t6uc21$qta$1@dont-email.me>
<t7216e$l4q$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:JFfpBIHrR6gaGKIegvvX9ExxrN4=
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 30 May 2022 18:18 UTC

Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
> Am 29.05.2022 um 01:42 schrieb Roger Merriman:
>> Personally the absolute range is enough but not having off street parking
>> charging locally isn’t a option so any EV would need the occasional trip to
>> charge which i suspect would get tedious!
>
> It turns out not to be a problem, with the wife shopping at ALDI once a
> week. 30 mins fast-charge while shopping is good for 150 miles or so.

There is Lidl with charging not too far away though again that would be a
trip to charge as day to day I use the bike. And while I do go places these
aren’t generally served by chargers.

But realistically I do low miles so the cost of charging doesn’t make
financial sense, nor probably buying a new or newer car from a green point
of view.

There is also the fact that big estates that can swallow bikes and bits,
aren’t a market served by EV’s yet probably soon as Volvo have started
making on SUV thus far.

Roger Merriman