6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Refrigerator malf

SubjectAuthor
* Refrigerator malfSnag
+* Re: Refrigerator malfBob La Londe
|`* Re: Refrigerator malfSnag
| `* Re: Refrigerator malfBob La Londe
|  `* Re: Refrigerator malfSnag
|   `- Re: Refrigerator malfBob La Londe
`* Re: Refrigerator malfrangerssuck
 `- Re: Refrigerator malfSnag

1
Refrigerator malf

<th4n67$ngrv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6504&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6504

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Refrigerator malf
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:12:26 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:12 UTC

This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control board
has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply line leak
that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning (apparently)
correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have the flap open to
see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to be convection as I
can't find a fan .
Any insights welcome ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Refrigerator malf

<th4nh2$nfo8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6505&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6505

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Refrigerator malf
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:18:10 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:18 UTC

On 9/29/2022 11:12 AM, Snag wrote:
>   This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
> side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
> before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
> control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control board
> has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply line leak
> that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning (apparently)
> correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have the flap open to
> see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to be convection as I
> can't find a fan .
>   Any insights welcome ...

That's fairly specific. I think I'd use BING to search for a more
product specific troubleshooting website. I've had better luck that way
than asking on groups and forums when it comes to household appliances.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Refrigerator malf

<th4rvl$o1b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6506&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6506

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:34:13 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:34 UTC

On 9/29/2022 1:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/29/2022 11:12 AM, Snag wrote:
>>    This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
>> side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
>> before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
>> control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control
>> board has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply
>> line leak that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning
>> (apparently) correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have
>> the flap open to see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to
>> be convection as I can't find a fan .
>>    Any insights welcome ...
>

> That's fairly specific.  I think I'd use BING to search for a more
> product specific troubleshooting website.  I've had better luck that way
> than asking on groups and forums when it comes to household appliances.

It has been rendered moot . Momma sez "we can afford a new one" so
I'll be picking it up at Lowes in the morning . I could pick it up today
but I'd rather have a drink than drive 120 miles round trip this
afternoon .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Refrigerator malf

<th4u1v$o7iv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6507&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6507

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:09:34 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 20:09 UTC

On 9/29/2022 12:34 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 9/29/2022 1:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 9/29/2022 11:12 AM, Snag wrote:
>>>    This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
>>> side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
>>> before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
>>> control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control
>>> board has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply
>>> line leak that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning
>>> (apparently) correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have
>>> the flap open to see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears
>>> to be convection as I can't find a fan .
>>>    Any insights welcome ...
>>

>> That's fairly specific.  I think I'd use BING to search for a more
>> product specific troubleshooting website.  I've had better luck that
>> way than asking on groups and forums when it comes to household
>> appliances.
>>

>   It has been rendered moot . Momma sez "we can afford a new one" so
> I'll be picking it up at Lowes in the morning . I could pick it up today
> but I'd rather have a drink than drive 120 miles round trip this
> afternoon .

I can very much related to the remark. In the spirit of the RMHVB&G
have one on me.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Refrigerator malf

<th5oap$tj2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6508&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6508

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 22:38:02 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 03:38 UTC

On 9/29/2022 3:09 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/29/2022 12:34 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>

>>> That's fairly specific.  I think I'd use BING to search for a more
>>> product specific troubleshooting website.  I've had better luck that
>>> way than asking on groups and forums when it comes to household
>>> appliances.
>>>

>>    It has been rendered moot . Momma sez "we can afford a new one" so
>> I'll be picking it up at Lowes in the morning . I could pick it up
>> today but I'd rather have a drink than drive 120 miles round trip this
>> afternoon .
>

> I can very much related to the remark.  In the spirit of the RMHVB&G
> have one on me.

Sure will ! Care to join me in a sip or three of my home made
rendition of Galliano ?
Actually I started the conversation about a new unit . This is the
3rd time this (bought used like 7 years ago) fridge has dropped out on
us . I ain't inclined to fix it again , and parts are getting harder to
find . With any luck at all I'll never have to repair a fridge again
(that sound was me knocking on wood) .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Refrigerator malf

<th78mv$1li3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6509

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:23:40 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:23 UTC

On 9/29/2022 8:38 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 9/29/2022 3:09 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>    It has been rendered moot . Momma sez "we can afford a new one" so
>>> I'll be picking it up at Lowes in the morning . I could pick it up
>>> today but I'd rather have a drink than drive 120 miles round trip
>>> this afternoon .
>>

>> I can very much related to the remark.  In the spirit of the RMHVB&G
>> have one on me.
>>

>   Sure will ! Care to join me in a sip or three of my home made
> rendition of Galliano ?
>   Actually I started the conversation about a new unit . This is the
> 3rd time this (bought used like 7 years ago) fridge has dropped out on
> us . I ain't inclined to fix it again , and parts are getting harder to
> find . With any luck at all I'll never have to repair a fridge again
> (that sound was me knocking on wood) .

For us its been the shelves, plastic rollers for drawers, etc that have
failed. We had one fridge that was a turd some years back, but Sears
still had a local store then. They gave us a credit for the full price
of our broken machine and said go pick out something else you like.
Generally we always have three fridges and a freezer. One in the
kitchen, one in the "bar", and one in my shop office with the freezer
out in the garage. A fridge failure doesn't usually do more than
inconvenience, although I do sometimes have to impress upon my wife that
temporary doesn't mean forever when she asks me to put something in the
shop fridge.

Now watch. We'll take a lightning strike tonight and it will fry all
four machines. LOL. In fact I think we did lose a fridge to a near
miss the first year we were in this has back in 2006.

www.avg.com

Re: Refrigerator malf

<33445bc3-100b-4dd0-8e24-5da0dbf0010dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6513&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6513

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 09:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: rangerss...@gmail.com (rangerssuck)
 by: rangerssuck - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:33 UTC

On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 2:12:27 PM UTC-4, Snag wrote:
> This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
> side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
> before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
> control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control board
> has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply line leak
> that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning (apparently)
> correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have the flap open to
> see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to be convection as I
> can't find a fan .
> Any insights welcome ...
> --
> Snag
> "You can lead a dummy to facts
> but you can't make him think."
There is probably a thermistor in the refrigerator side that reports to the controller. I'd bet that thermistor has gone south. I've replace many of them (my fridge has four). Whopping $2 item, and you'll have a fridge for the garage.

Re: Refrigerator malf

<thhvu0$2njvn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6514&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6514

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:56:05 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:56 UTC

On 10/4/2022 11:33 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 2:12:27 PM UTC-4, Snag wrote:
>> This is a big GE side by side , computerized controls . The fridge
>> side is too warm , and the flap that regulates the temp is closing
>> before the compartment is cold . I'm wondering if it's the computer
>> control or a malfunctioning servo motor on the flap . The control board
>> has been replaced once before - caused by an ice maker supply line leak
>> that flooded it . Freezer compartment is functioning (apparently)
>> correctly . I have disconnected the flap servo and have the flap open to
>> see if the fridge side will cool down , it appears to be convection as I
>> can't find a fan .
>> Any insights welcome ...
>> --
>> Snag
>> "You can lead a dummy to facts
>> but you can't make him think."
> There is probably a thermistor in the refrigerator side that reports to the controller. I'd bet that thermistor has gone south. I've replace many of them (my fridge has four). Whopping $2 item, and you'll have a fridge for the garage.

The only sensor I could find on the fridge side is a temp sensor near
the top . It (I think) reports to the control board , which opens/closes
a flap also near the top to control air flow from the freezer side .
Doesn't much matter now , there's a shiny new unit occupying that
space now . And I already have a fridge for the shop ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts