"Gotcha, you snot-necked weenies!" -- Post Bros. Comics

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

SubjectAuthor
* Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
|`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
||+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicRick C
|||`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicClive Arthur
||  +* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicBill Sloman
||  |`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicClive Arthur
||  | +- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
||  | `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicDon Y
||  `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
||+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
||| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|||  +- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||  `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||   `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicBill Sloman
||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|| `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicGeorge Herold
| `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicJohn Larkin
|  +* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|  |+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
|  |`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicDon Y
|  `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicTom Del Rosso
`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicJohn S

Pages:12
Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<12418b2a-b989-4cff-b696-87a850f3cb17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66208&group=sci.electronics.design#66208

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:10 UTC

Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.

"Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<GOKCI.6$nt3.5@fx20.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66210&group=sci.electronics.design#66210

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:48:54 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:48 UTC

On 6/29/2021 3:10 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>
> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

See Strogatz for a not-mathematically-overbearing introduction; the
basics of linear algebra and first-order ODEs on the calculus side
should be good:
<http://www.stevenstrogatz.com/books/nonlinear-dynamics-and-chaos-with-applications-to-physics-biology-chemistry-and-engineering>

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<1bbea83c-ebf2-70cf-07a6-480fe9261ac6@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66211&group=sci.electronics.design#66211

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:00:56 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:00 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think.
> Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems
> that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a
> function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/
> measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large
> differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is
> much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are
> measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good
> fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>
> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in
> principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while
> and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the
> behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on
> three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast,
> how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale
> depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time.
> Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits,
> about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the
> inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the
> uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time.
> Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares
> the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in
> practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of
> more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful
> predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

The kicker is that chaotic systems are very powerful noise amplifiers,
and there is a fundamental limit to the precision of the initial conditions.

If you have a frictionless pool table with perfectly elastic collisions,
and break the rack normally, the position uncertainties of the balls
grow exponentially with time. That is, a small error in aiming makes
both balls go off at a slightly incorrect angle. That angular error
grows linearly as the balls roll, causing the next collisions to be
further off in aim. That causes more angular error, which turns into
more aiming error on the next collisions, and so on.

I don't have it handy, but I recall reading a calculation that showed
that after 30 seconds of this, the amplified Heisenberg uncertainty
became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.

Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time.

Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling. As in epidemics,
exponential growth just applies to the early stages. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<e039cd14-7230-4ab6-a29e-c209660b1707n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66212&group=sci.electronics.design#66212

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 13:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:31 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 4:01:05 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> [...]
> grows linearly as the balls roll, causing the next collisions to be
> further off in aim. That causes more angular error, which turns into
> more aiming error on the next collisions, and so on.
>
> I don't have it handy, but I recall reading a calculation that showed
> that after 30 seconds of this, the amplified Heisenberg uncertainty
> became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
> longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.
>
> Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time..
>
> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling. As in epidemics,
> exponential growth just applies to the early stages. ;)

I'm mainly concerned with short term (3 days) weather prediction. The European model streams real time weather data into the simulation continuously, which I assume means the initial conditions are constantly being reset. There use tens if not hundreds of thousands of real time sensor inputs, terrestrial and satellite. If a butterfly flaps its wings in the Himalayas, they know about it. The price they pay is 24 hour turnaround, but they are consistently dead on accurate. It's a gold standard of weather prediction right now.

> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<43407d66-02ce-414d-b6f6-4f10f6fc43d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66213&group=sci.electronics.design#66213

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 13:33:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:33 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:49:02 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 6/29/2021 3:10 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
> >
> > "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
> >
> See Strogatz for a not-mathematically-overbearing introduction; the
> basics of linear algebra and first-order ODEs on the calculus side
> should be good:
>
> <http://www.stevenstrogatz.com/books/nonlinear-dynamics-and-chaos-with-applications-to-physics-biology-chemistry-and-engineering>

That looks good, will take a look at it. All I know about the subject is from a non-linear control text from 15 years ago. Non-linear control dwells on chaotic systems quite a bit too.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<23635043-a00d-4b2d-9787-353e0179a4f2@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66215&group=sci.electronics.design#66215

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:55:10 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 21:55 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> [...]
>> have constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is
>> constant. The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever,
>> but none of them can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.
>> As in epidemics, exponential growth just applies to the early
>> stages. ;)
>
> I'm mainly concerned with short term (3 days) weather prediction. The
> European model streams real time weather data into the simulation
> continuously, which I assume means the initial conditions are
> constantly being reset. There use tens if not hundreds of thousands
> of real time sensor inputs, terrestrial and satellite. If a butterfly
> flaps its wings in the Himalayas, they know about it. The price they
> pay is 24 hour turnaround, but they are consistently dead on
> accurate. It's a gold standard of weather prediction right now.

Okay, but your thread title is completely misleading--if a system is
deterministic, it doesn't stop after three days.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<1b8f4901-9bb0-44c8-8a9f-537ffa8bf249n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66217&group=sci.electronics.design#66217

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:07 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 5:55:22 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Fred Bloggs wrote:
> >
> > I'm mainly concerned with short term (3 days) weather prediction. The
> > European model streams real time weather data into the simulation
> > continuously, which I assume means the initial conditions are
> > constantly being reset. There use tens if not hundreds of thousands
> > of real time sensor inputs, terrestrial and satellite. If a butterfly
> > flaps its wings in the Himalayas, they know about it. The price they
> > pay is 24 hour turnaround, but they are consistently dead on
> > accurate. It's a gold standard of weather prediction right now.
> Okay, but your thread title is completely misleading--if a system is
> deterministic, it doesn't stop after three days.

You do say some of the strangest things.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<637ndgtldi8tuecemqmfrlrvnqgs1i08dv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66224&group=sci.electronics.design#66224

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:24:01 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:24 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>
>"Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When
>meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

In real-life systems, social/economic/climactic, we have only crude
knowledge of the element behavior, the couplings, or the initial
state. People and clouds don't behave like planets.

People too used to power think they can understand, hence should
control, societies and economics. They usually screw things up.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<id7ndgp111dl08np9tmg0er7p29ug4nlot@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66225&group=sci.electronics.design#66225

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:27:07 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:27 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs

> [...]
>both balls go off at a slightly incorrect angle. That angular error
>grows linearly as the balls roll, causing the next collisions to be
>further off in aim. That causes more angular error, which turns into
>more aiming error on the next collisions, and so on.
>
>I don't have it handy, but I recall reading a calculation that showed
>that after 30 seconds of this, the amplified Heisenberg uncertainty
>became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
>longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.
>
>Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time.
>
>Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
>constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
>The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
>can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.

Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<0j7ndg1l4ro5cb2r0dnk1ibq4pe70j8ckd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66226&group=sci.electronics.design#66226

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:29:05 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:29 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 13:31:11 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> [...]

>> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
>> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
>> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
>> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling. As in epidemics,
>> exponential growth just applies to the early stages. ;)
>
>I'm mainly concerned with short term (3 days) weather prediction. The European model streams real time weather data into the simulation continuously, which I assume means the initial conditions are constantly being reset. There use tens if not hundreds of thousands of real time sensor inputs, terrestrial and satellite. If a butterfly flaps its wings in the Himalayas, they know about it. The price they pay is 24 hour turnaround, but they are consistently dead on accurate. It's a gold standard of weather prediction right now.

Sure. Look at which way the wind is blowing, check the temperature
upwind from here, predict.

That doesn't scale.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<cc7c8426-8fee-4a3a-b2bc-b37452935942n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66232&group=sci.electronics.design#66232

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:55 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:24:11 PM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions.

> In real-life systems, social/economic/climactic, we have only crude
> knowledge of the element behavior, the couplings, or the initial
> state. People and clouds don't behave like planets.

There's lots of real-life systems we DO have knowledge of. Nothing
about 'social/economic/climactic' subsets of real-life is distinctive in this respect.

> People too used to power think they can understand, hence should
> control, societies and economics. They usually screw things up.

So, you aren't a monarchist? Inherited entitlements of political power is, indeed,
not generally held in high regard nowadays.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<116c8080-e408-4ffc-97b9-45346f01f8e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66233&group=sci.electronics.design#66233

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:58:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 22:58 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:27:15 PM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

> >Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
> >constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
> >The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
> >can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.

> Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
> their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.

For momentum, each component is separately conserved. Five balls moving
in the X-Y plane don't have Z-component momentum.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<ac518d7b-54d0-5627-8aae-73b712860cb9@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66238&group=sci.electronics.design#66238

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:38:31 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:38 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> [...]
>> further off in aim. That causes more angular error, which turns into
>> more aiming error on the next collisions, and so on.
>>
>> I don't have it handy, but I recall reading a calculation that showed
>> that after 30 seconds of this, the amplified Heisenberg uncertainty
>> became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
>> longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.
>>
>> Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time.
>>
>> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
>> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
>> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
>> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.
>
> Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
> their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.

Not if the cue ball didn't start out with enough energy to do that.

Other chaotic systems, such as globular star clusters, can eject parts
at any speed.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<c00c009e-c359-1d34-5346-cec0be0183f3@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66240&group=sci.electronics.design#66240

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:41:47 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:41 UTC

whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:27:15 PM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>>> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
>>> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
>>> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
>>> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.
>
>> Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
>> their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.
>
> For momentum, each component is separately conserved. Five balls moving
> in the X-Y plane don't have Z-component momentum.

'T'aint a momentum issue. The table can supply any Z-component
required, and of course the initial momentum of the cue ball is enough
to make it bounce--as any beginning pool player knows. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<8a8f483f-f2f0-401b-a7ea-95ceea96f163n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66243&group=sci.electronics.design#66243

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:50 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 4:41:59 PM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 3:27:15 PM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> >> Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
> >> their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.
> >
> > For momentum, each component is separately conserved. Five balls moving
> > in the X-Y plane don't have Z-component momentum

> 'T'aint a momentum issue. The table can supply any Z-component
> required, and of course the initial momentum of the cue ball is enough
> to make it bounce--as any beginning pool player knows. ;)

If you use a cue ball with a different diameter than the other balls (not uncommon in
quarter-to-play tables) then the table can supply momentum. Otherwise, it takes a fierce
spin transfer at the cue or some kind of miracle to make that bounce.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<3a0bba74-9fc4-e478-73a9-7436f1a08667@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66244&group=sci.electronics.design#66244

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:52:12 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:52 UTC

whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 4:41:59 PM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> whit3rd wrote:

>>> For momentum, each component is separately conserved. Five balls moving
>>> in the X-Y plane don't have Z-component momentum
>
>> 'T'aint a momentum issue. The table can supply any Z-component
>> required, and of course the initial momentum of the cue ball is enough
>> to make it bounce--as any beginning pool player knows. ;)
>
> If you use a cue ball with a different diameter than the other balls (not uncommon in
> quarter-to-play tables) then the table can supply momentum. Otherwise, it takes a fierce
> spin transfer at the cue or some kind of miracle to make that bounce.

Soooooo? It has an infinite number of chances, and the compliance of
the felt isn't necessarily zero.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<2jendg1l78e40chopdqqok9u84nqpsm4vs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66253&group=sci.electronics.design#66253

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:28:13 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:28 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:38:31 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> The kicker is that chaotic systems are very powerful noise amplifiers,
>>> and there is a fundamental limit to the precision of the initial conditions.
>>>
>>> If you have a frictionless pool table with perfectly elastic collisions,
>>> and break the rack normally, the position uncertainties of the balls
>>> grow exponentially with time. That is, a small error in aiming makes
>>> both balls go off at a slightly incorrect angle. That angular error
>>> grows linearly as the balls roll, causing the next collisions to be
>>> further off in aim. That causes more angular error, which turns into
>>> more aiming error on the next collisions, and so on.
>>>
>>> I don't have it handy, but I recall reading a calculation that showed
>>> that after 30 seconds of this, the amplified Heisenberg uncertainty
>>> became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
>>> longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.
>>>
>>> Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time.
>>>
>>> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
>>> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
>>> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
>>> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling.
>>
>> Couldn't that happen? Like five balls converge on one and transfer all
>> their momentum. That doesn't seem to violate any conservation rules.
>
>Not if the cue ball didn't start out with enough energy to do that.

Oh don't get technical. I hate it when people get technical.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<42815c7b-308a-48a4-a919-bf61be504964n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66256&group=sci.electronics.design#66256

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggher...@gmail.com (George Herold)
 by: George Herold - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:50 UTC

> [...]
> became larger than the diameter of a ball, meaning that you could no
> longer--even in principle--predict which balls would collide next.
>
> Information is appearing in the universe at a very high rate all the time.
>
> Like many chaotic systems, the motions of these ideal pool balls have
> constraints, such as that the total energy of the system is constant.
> The balls will bounce around and bounce around forever, but none of them
> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling. As in epidemics,
> exponential growth just applies to the early stages. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Right. I once made this analog chaos circuit. (copied from P. Horowitz.. Lorenz butterfly thingie)
with things set 'optimally' you could sometimes see a third / fourth period doubling. Till the noise in
the circuit (mostly from multipliers) washed out the signal. With a computer you can watch period doubling
to whatever accuracy you like.

George H.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbht40$ckk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66287&group=sci.electronics.design#66287

From: fizzbint...@that-google-mail-domain.com (Tom Del Rosso)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:55:11 -0400
 by: Tom Del Rosso - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:55 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think.
> Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems
> that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a
> function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/
> measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large
> differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is
> much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are
> measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good
> fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>
> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in
> principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while
> and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the
> behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on
> three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast,
> how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale
> depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time.
> Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits,
> about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the
> inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the
> uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time.
> Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares
> the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in
> practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of
> more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful
> predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

I was attracted by the subject, but I find it strange that this is
considered something new.

--
Defund the Thought Police

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbhuo0$4tp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66288&group=sci.electronics.design#66288

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:22:55 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:22 UTC

On 29/06/2021 23:29, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

<snip>

> Sure. Look at which way the wind is blowing, check the temperature
> upwind from here, predict.

Here, during the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the main court has a
sliding roof which is closed when rain approaches, a procedure which
takes a few minutes.

Every year, someone writes in to a paper complaining that the
authorities have access to much better weather forecasts than are
available to the general public (or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, the
156 in this case).

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<41405ace-90d7-4190-acbd-83da88eb8e0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66289&group=sci.electronics.design#66289

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
 by: Bill Sloman - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:44 UTC

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 12:23:02 AM UTC+10, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 29/06/2021 23:29, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Sure. Look at which way the wind is blowing, check the temperature
> > upwind from here, predict.
> Here, during the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the main court has a
> sliding roof which is closed when rain approaches, a procedure which
> takes a few minutes.
>
> Every year, someone writes in to a paper complaining that the
> authorities have access to much better weather forecasts than are
> available to the general public (or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, the
> 156 in this case).

That's a bit silly. The Wimbledon centre court is specific and relatively small area. Weather radar can seem rainstorms moving across the city and provide a forecast of when the next rainstorm is going to hit the centre-court at Wimbleton.

The general public wants to know when a rainstorm is going to hit them, wherever they are.

Mobile phone areas in cities are pretty compact - if each cell tower pushed out it's own forecast to all the phones it was serving at a particular instant, it could do almost as well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<aq0pdgd7hbumumrq3c6h1obbg2ne8se1bm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66290&group=sci.electronics.design#66290

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 07:47:34 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:47 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:22:55 +0100, Clive Arthur
<clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/06/2021 23:29, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>
><snip>
>>
>> Sure. Look at which way the wind is blowing, check the temperature
>> upwind from here, predict.
>
>Here, during the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the main court has a
>sliding roof which is closed when rain approaches, a procedure which
>takes a few minutes.
>
>Every year, someone writes in to a paper complaining that the
>authorities have access to much better weather forecasts than are
>available to the general public (or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, the
>156 in this case).

We have open-top streetcars too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj91qofbd4fk5cf/Streetcar.jpg?raw=1

I don't know who that Hayes guy is.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbi0ip$iht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66293&group=sci.electronics.design#66293

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:54:16 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:54 UTC

On 30/06/2021 15:44, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 12:23:02 AM UTC+10, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 29/06/2021 23:29, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Sure. Look at which way the wind is blowing, check the temperature
>>> upwind from here, predict.
>> Here, during the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the main court has a
>> sliding roof which is closed when rain approaches, a procedure which
>> takes a few minutes.
>>
>> Every year, someone writes in to a paper complaining that the
>> authorities have access to much better weather forecasts than are
>> available to the general public (or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, the
>> 156 in this case).
>
> That's a bit silly. The Wimbledon centre court is specific and relatively small area. Weather radar can seem rainstorms moving across the city and provide a forecast of when the next rainstorm is going to hit the centre-court at Wimbleton.
>
> The general public wants to know when a rainstorm is going to hit them, wherever they are.
>
> Mobile phone areas in cities are pretty compact - if each cell tower pushed out it's own forecast to all the phones it was serving at a particular instant, it could do almost as well.

That's a pretty good idea - add a simple weather station atop each mast
and you could warn people to get the washing in a little in advance.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<9r1pdghivlrnhcm88hb8p4pdg60b60orh5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66298&group=sci.electronics.design#66298

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:02:28 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:02 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:54:16 +0100, Clive Arthur
<clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

>On 30/06/2021 15:44, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 12:23:02 AM UTC+10, Clive Arthur wrote:
>>> On 29/06/2021 23:29, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Here, during the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the main court has a
>>> sliding roof which is closed when rain approaches, a procedure which
>>> takes a few minutes.
>>>
>>> Every year, someone writes in to a paper complaining that the
>>> authorities have access to much better weather forecasts than are
>>> available to the general public (or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, the
>>> 156 in this case).
>>
>> That's a bit silly. The Wimbledon centre court is specific and relatively small area. Weather radar can seem rainstorms moving across the city and provide a forecast of when the next rainstorm is going to hit the centre-court at Wimbleton.
>>
>> The general public wants to know when a rainstorm is going to hit them, wherever they are.
>>
>> Mobile phone areas in cities are pretty compact - if each cell tower pushed out it's own forecast to all the phones it was serving at a particular instant, it could do almost as well.
>
>That's a pretty good idea - add a simple weather station atop each mast
>and you could warn people to get the washing in a little in advance.

And we'd have so many more temperature records.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<48947e0f-95f0-4bc5-98fb-8d6546ba1571@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66299&group=sci.electronics.design#66299

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:03:22 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:03 UTC

George Herold wrote:
> [...]
>> can ever jump off the table and hit the ceiling. As in epidemics,
>> exponential growth just applies to the early stages. ;)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> --
>> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
>> Principal Consultant
>> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
>> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
>> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>>
>> http://electrooptical.net
>> http://hobbs-eo.com
> Right. I once made this analog chaos circuit. (copied from P. Horowitz.. Lorenz butterfly thingie)
> with things set 'optimally' you could sometimes see a third / fourth period doubling. Till the noise in
> the circuit (mostly from multipliers) washed out the signal. With a computer you can watch period doubling

But you gain forecasting time only logarithmically as you improve
precision, and the initial conditions have quantum indeterminacy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic