<lilo> I've always wanted to have a web site with a big picture of a carrot on it

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

SubjectAuthor
* Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
|`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
||+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicRick C
|||`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicFred Bloggs
||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicClive Arthur
||  +* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicBill Sloman
||  |`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicClive Arthur
||  | +- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
||  | `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicDon Y
||  `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
||+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
||| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|||  +- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||  `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|||   `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicBill Sloman
||`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
|| `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicGeorge Herold
| `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicPhil Hobbs
+* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicjlarkin
|+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|`* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
| `* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicJohn Larkin
|  +* Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicwhit3rd
|  |+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
|  |`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicDon Y
|  `- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministicbitrex
+- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicTom Del Rosso
`- Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally DeterministicJohn S

Pages:12
Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<9096075c-71d7-9fb2-6718-2b72d933639c@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66303&group=sci.electronics.design#66303

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:09:28 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:09 UTC

whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 4:41:59 PM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> whit3rd wrote:

>>> For momentum, each component is separately conserved. Five balls moving
>>> in the X-Y plane don't have Z-component momentum
>
>> 'T'aint a momentum issue. The table can supply any Z-component
>> required, and of course the initial momentum of the cue ball is enough
>> to make it bounce--as any beginning pool player knows. ;)
>
> If you use a cue ball with a different diameter than the other balls (not uncommon in
> quarter-to-play tables) then the table can supply momentum. Otherwise, it takes a fierce
> spin transfer at the cue or some kind of miracle to make that bounce.

Or even a vanishingly small one, plus an indefinitely long time bouncing
around.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbi1oj$rd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66304&group=sci.electronics.design#66304

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:14:16 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:14 UTC

On 6/30/2021 7:54 AM, Clive Arthur wrote:
> That's a pretty good idea - add a simple weather station atop each mast and you
> could warn people to get the washing in a little in advance.

That only works if you do an active *forecast* for each of those
specific data collection points. I can count ~15 *networked*
"personal weather stations" within a mile of my home.
Temperatures currently reported vary from 85F to 89F.

One can argue that these aren't NBS-traceable instruments (and
who knows how carefully they are sited), but I'd wager that
there actually is that much variation in this small of an area
(changes in elevation, vegetation, natural features, etc.)

E.g., the nearest hospital is ~2.5 miles as the crow flies.
They will frequently have rain or even a dusting of snow (!)
while we won't see either.

["Spring" comes to the south end of my street two weeks earlier
than it does to my end -- just three blocks further north!
(as evidenced by when the various flora bloom)]

Which one(s) should be used to forecast *my* weather?

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<9f3b7e12-fcae-4a2d-a854-4ddea397d00en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66306&group=sci.electronics.design#66306

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
 by: Bill Sloman - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:00 UTC

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 1:09:35 AM UTC+10, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:

> >> 'T'aint a momentum issue. The table can supply any Z-component
> >> required, and of course the initial momentum of the cue ball is enough
> >> to make it bounce--as any beginning pool player knows. ;)
> >
> > If you use a cue ball with a different diameter than the other balls (not uncommon in
> > quarter-to-play tables) then the table can supply momentum. Otherwise, it takes a fierce
> > spin transfer at the cue or some kind of miracle to make that bounce.
> >
> Or even a vanishingly small one, plus an indefinitely long time bouncing
> around.

Happily, billiard tables are lossy. The balls stop rolling eventually. If you put spin on the ball, the rotational momentum decays faster than the translational momentum.

I did play billiards with theology students from time to time, and they didn't do anything miraculous - they were Methodists, so they may have been restraining themselves.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<fc300e0c-cbc3-473a-ba78-309ffe7f3749n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66329&group=sci.electronics.design#66329

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 19:07 UTC

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/research/modelling-and-prediction

> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<Tw6DI.12627$Vj7.8377@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66338&group=sci.electronics.design#66338

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:48:20 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:48 UTC

On 6/29/2021 6:24 PM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>>
>> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When
>> meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
>
> In real-life systems, social/economic/climactic, we have only crude
> knowledge of the element behavior, the couplings, or the initial
> state. People and clouds don't behave like planets.
Mercury's orbit is highly chaotic over time frames of only a few tens of
millions of years into the future, which isn't much on the scale of
geological time. Measurement error of bigger than about an mm today will
throw it off completely if you try to run that model 100 million years
forward.
> People too used to power think they can understand, hence should
> control, societies and economics. They usually screw things up.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<7p4qdgt5u4979prbk7vt7cs6bcq5moau7t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66341&group=sci.electronics.design#66341

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 17:59:18 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 00:59 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:48:20 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 6/29/2021 6:24 PM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>>>
>>> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When
>>> meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
>>
>> In real-life systems, social/economic/climactic, we have only crude
>> knowledge of the element behavior, the couplings, or the initial
>> state. People and clouds don't behave like planets.
>
>Mercury's orbit is highly chaotic over time frames of only a few tens of
>millions of years into the future, which isn't much on the scale of
>geological time. Measurement error of bigger than about an mm today will
>throw it off completely if you try to run that model 100 million years
>forward.

The weather here is chaotic on the scale of one day. The stock market
is too.

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<f6eaa115-a8e8-4531-9071-b33484c7ba33n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66344&group=sci.electronics.design#66344

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:07 UTC

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 5:59:28 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> The weather here is chaotic on the scale of one day. The stock market
> is too.

The weather here was just as hot as the five-days-earlier forecasts told us.
My stocks don't get traded on the scale of one day. Do yours?

What's your timescale measure algorithm? Does it take twenty-sided dice?

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<Gd9DI.4829$nm6.1139@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66348&group=sci.electronics.design#66348

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:52:39 -0400
 by: bitrex - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:52 UTC

On 6/30/2021 8:59 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:48:20 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/29/2021 6:24 PM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> In real-life systems, social/economic/climactic, we have only crude
>>> knowledge of the element behavior, the couplings, or the initial
>>> state. People and clouds don't behave like planets.
>>
>> Mercury's orbit is highly chaotic over time frames of only a few tens of
>> millions of years into the future, which isn't much on the scale of
>> geological time. Measurement error of bigger than about an mm today will
>> throw it off completely if you try to run that model 100 million years
>> forward.
>>

> The weather here is chaotic on the scale of one day. The stock market
> is too.

Weather report fort southeast Massachusetts on Sunday evening said there
was going to be severe thunderstorms tonight 90% probability and there
were, a real rip-roarer that went on for about an hour with lightning
flashes like a Berlin discotheque. Brief thunderstorms and downpours are
pretty common here during the summer but tonights was extra-spicy.
Power stayed up though, not even a flicker. the local utility seem to
have been keeping the trees trimmed and tidy lately

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<6j9DI.8487$P64.1895@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66349&group=sci.electronics.design#66349

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:58:27 -0400
 by: bitrex - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:58 UTC

On 6/30/2021 9:07 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 5:59:28 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>
>> The weather here is chaotic on the scale of one day. The stock market
>> is too.
>
> The weather here was just as hot as the five-days-earlier forecasts told us.
> My stocks don't get traded on the scale of one day. Do yours?
>
> What's your timescale measure algorithm? Does it take twenty-sided dice?

Some accurately predicted big-ass cells moving thru:

<https://imgur.com/a/ohm2Aq2>

Someone probably going to post a nice picture of lightning strikes on
the Pru and John Hancock towers on Reddit

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbj8bn$n6n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66350&group=sci.electronics.design#66350

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 19:12:59 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 02:12 UTC

On 6/30/2021 6:07 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 5:59:28 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>
>> The weather here is chaotic on the scale of one day. The stock market
>> is too.
>
> The weather here was just as hot as the five-days-earlier forecasts told us.

Our weather forecasts are surprisingly accurate -- a week to 10 days out.
Typically, the temperature is all that is predicted as precipitation
is almost always "zero".

But, daytime highs and nighttime lows (at the official recording station)
are usually spot on.

Today, 50% chance of rain and, amusingly, it actually did so. But, I imagine
only in parts of town (225 sq miles -- about the size of chitown, 5 times
larger than San Francisco or Boston -- and with mountains on several sides).

Tomorrow, 80% -- which could just as easily translate to *nothing* for my
neighborhood -- or, a full on storm. <shrug> But, I'll wager that I will find
rain *somewhere* in town...

> My stocks don't get traded on the scale of one day. Do yours?
>
> What's your timescale measure algorithm? Does it take twenty-sided dice?

Re: Chaotic Systems Are Fundamentally Deterministic

<sbn2qb$iqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66427&group=sci.electronics.design#66427

From: Soph...@invalid.org (John S)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 08:03:26 -0500
 by: John S - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 13:03 UTC

On 6/29/2021 2:10 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Chaotic does not mean ultra-random as some people seem to think. Chaotic systems are fundamentally deterministic dynamical systems that have the property of exhibiting wildly different outcomes as a function of the initial conditions. Small errors in estimation/ measurement of initial conditions can result in unusably large differences in predicted results. If the prediction time scale is much smaller than the Lyapunov time, and initial conditions are measured with precision, predicted outcomes can have very good fidelity , and this is how they're tamed analytically.
>
> "Chaos theory concerns deterministic systems whose behavior can, in principle, be predicted. Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then 'appear' to become random. The amount of time that the behavior of a chaotic system can be effectively predicted depends on three things: how much uncertainty can be tolerated in the forecast, how accurately its current state can be measured, and a time scale depending on the dynamics of the system, called the Lyapunov time. Some examples of Lyapunov times are: chaotic electrical circuits, about 1 millisecond; weather systems, a few days (unproven); the inner solar system, 4 to 5 million years.[19] In chaotic systems, the uncertainty in a forecast increases exponentially with elapsed time. Hence, mathematically, doubling the forecast time more than squares the proportional uncertainty in the forecast. This means, in practice, a meaningful prediction cannot be made over an interval of more than two or three times the Lyapunov time. When meaningful predictions cannot be made, the system appears random."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

The double-rod pendulum example in the link is fascinating.