It's not hard to admit errors that are [only] cosmetically wrong. -- J. K. Galbraith

tech / sci.electronics.design / Tesla rules! Again!

SubjectAuthor
* Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
+* Re: Tesla rules! Again!jlarkin
|+* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Phil Hobbs
||+* Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|||+- Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
|||`* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Phil Hobbs
||| `- Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||`- Re: Tesla rules! Again!Cursitor Doom
|+* Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||`* Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
|| `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
||  `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||   `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
||    `- Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
|`* Re: Tesla rules! Again!bitrex
| +* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Cursitor Doom
| |+- Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
| |+- Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
| |`- Re: Tesla rules! Again!bitrex
| `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
|  +* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
|  |+* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|  ||`* Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|  || `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
|  ||  `* Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|  ||   `- Re: Tesla rules! Again!Rick C
|  |`* Re: Tesla rules! Again!Cursitor Doom
|  | +- Re: Tesla rules! Again!John Larkin
|  | `- Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|  `- Re: Tesla rules! Again!DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
`- Re: Tesla rules! Again!bitrex

Pages:12
Tesla rules! Again!

<sbscgc$1eh0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66636&group=sci.electronics.design#66636

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Tesla rules! Again!
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19 UTC

Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
the tires.

Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...

<https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<618ceebc-211e-4faf-9e29-025fd0758a74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66641&group=sci.electronics.design#66641

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 06:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Tesla rules! Again!
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:52 UTC

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 9:19:16 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
> the tires.
>
> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>
> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>

Yeah, EVs are inherently faster than ICE, but it's not really important. What I like about mine is how smooth the accelerator feels. It's hard to describe but the power curve is just so even without the big surge on a tiny touch of the pedal. Steady gettin' up!

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<puf3eglorbvokgjeom7m14u740u8nom60h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66648&group=sci.electronics.design#66648

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 07:15:21 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:15 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>the tires.
>
> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>
><https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>

What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?

The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
them half a billion dollars to figure that out.

EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<fc1ba7c2-6d0b-e6b4-e433-edff95d34341@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66662&group=sci.electronics.design#66662

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:24:24 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:24 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>
>> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>> the tires.
>>
>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>
> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
>
> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>
> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.

The push to electrify everything while destroying all the reliable
sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze Age-style collapse.

Not too easy to escape from a brush fire if you've used up your EV's
battery powering your aircon during a rolling blackout.

Diversity of supply for yours truly, any day.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbsnob$cpd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66663&group=sci.electronics.design#66663

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:31:07 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:31 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>
>>Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to
>>warm up the tires.
>>
>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>
>><https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>
> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with
> screaming braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and
> charge?
>
> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It
> took them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>
> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.

How much do you think was spent developing CWIS. And then again on
a couple decades of upgrades and improvements. And how much went
into Laser high powered 'kill' devices? They have been exploding
unexploded ordnance on artillery ranges with those for years.

And the per round price is far lower as well. Oh and let's not
forget the range difference, which makes the railgun a clear winner
in my book. By many tens of miles.

The fact is that a high priced guided missile fired from a drone
ends up being considered more reliable at asset destruction.

Do you think that $5 for a beer today is too much?

Compare to 1960 prices and we are actually doing pretty good these
days even with the specialty varieties.

Steam does not win and neither does Asbestos. But you keep right
on believing the TrumpTarded baby bullshit.

It took a while (decades) to get punks like you to figure out that
we need aircraft carriers and submarines as well, not to mention UAVs
and UGVs.

Dipshits like you do not know how to measure things very well.
Much less how such costs get amortized out.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbso15$gin$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66664&group=sci.electronics.design#66664

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:35:49 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:35 UTC

Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in

> The push to electrify everything while destroying all the reliable
> sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze Age-style
> collapse.

Sure, bub.

Steam will be on ships for decades to come... Right.

That's why they went from coal and petrol fired boilers and huge
diesel engines to Nuclear Reactor powered steam generators.

If you think that steam is better or less bulky than a linear motor
actuator, you are more nuts than larkin simply believing the Trump
Hayride tripe.

Motor tech has come a long way. We know quite well how to convert
electron energy into rotary or linear motion of huge masses. You
know... that thing we scientists call WORK.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<7oq3eghfcd3vb74gg3gm9da0h18fkfei6c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66667&group=sci.electronics.design#66667

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 10:12:29 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:12 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:35:49 +0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in
>
>> The push to electrify everything while destroying all the reliable
>> sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze Age-style
>> collapse.
>>

> Sure, bub.
>
> Steam will be on ships for decades to come... Right.
>
> That's why they went from coal and petrol fired boilers and huge
>diesel engines to Nuclear Reactor powered steam generators.
>
> If you think that steam is better or less bulky than a linear motor
>actuator, you are more nuts than larkin simply believing the Trump
>Hayride tripe.
>
> Motor tech has come a long way. We know quite well how to convert
>electron energy into rotary or linear motion of huge masses. You
>know... that thing we scientists call WORK.

Electricity is a bad way to deliver a lot of energy. Great for small
stuff, or huge short bursts.

It's funny that rail guns and em launchers store energy in spinning
masses. Megagauss magnets do too. Batteries and caps are wimpy
compared to chemical and mechanical energy storage.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<2ir3egpjg6qjn9afubp4ponigi4i89sv7u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66668&group=sci.electronics.design#66668

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 10:23:26 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:23 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:31:07 +0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
>> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>>
>>>Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to
>>>warm up the tires.
>>>
>>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>>
>>><https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>>
>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with
>> screaming braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and
>> charge?
>>
>> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It
>> took them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>>
>> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.
>>

> How much do you think was spent developing CWIS. And then again on
>a couple decades of upgrades and improvements. And how much went
>into Laser high powered 'kill' devices? They have been exploding
>unexploded ordnance on artillery ranges with those for years.
>
> And the per round price is far lower as well. Oh and let's not
>forget the range difference, which makes the railgun a clear winner
>in my book. By many tens of miles.
>
> The fact is that a high priced guided missile fired from a drone
>ends up being considered more reliable at asset destruction.
>
> Do you think that $5 for a beer today is too much?
>
> Compare to 1960 prices and we are actually doing pretty good these
>days even with the specialty varieties.
>
> Steam does not win and neither does Asbestos. But you keep right
>on believing the TrumpTarded baby bullshit.
>
> It took a while (decades) to get punks like you to figure out that
>we need aircraft carriers and submarines as well, not to mention UAVs
>and UGVs.
>
> Dipshits like you do not know how to measure things very well.
>Much less how such costs get amortized out.

Your constant stream of crude insults would be less ludicrous if you
were right once in a while.

How slomanesque.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<5e0da26f-7ccf-b0cd-9746-7b910a3171c0@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66669&group=sci.electronics.design#66669

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeds.phibee-telecom.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:25:26 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:25 UTC

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in
>
>> The push to electrify everything while destroying all the reliable
>> sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze Age-style
>> collapse.
>>

> Sure, bub.

You're channeling Bugs Bunny again. Have a nice carrot and sober up. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
(Happy Fourth!)

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<qsmEI.11996$KC2.11465@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66670&group=sci.electronics.design#66670

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:44 UTC

On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>
>> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>> the tires.
>>
>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>
> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?

Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?

> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>
> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.

They've sold a lot more EVs than rail guns

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<QAmEI.6304$t64.6065@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66671&group=sci.electronics.design#66671

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:53:52 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:53 UTC

On 7/4/2021 9:19 AM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
> the tires.
>
> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>
> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>

The Dodge's start sucked

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<unv3eg5ahgocv0eqjqas3hd85ihimglv2t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66675&group=sci.electronics.design#66675

From: cd...@nowhere.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:40:44 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:40 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
>> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>>
>>> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>>> the tires.
>>>
>>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>>
>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
>> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
>
>Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
>
>> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
>> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>>
>> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.
>>

>They've sold a lot more EVs than rail guns

I'm sure your EVs will eventually prevail, but the first generation of
them seems well worth avoiding. In fact the first generation of
*anything* is well worth avoiding IMV. But if people like yourself
want to spend good money assisting in the development of this kind of
vehicle, to get it to what *one day* will be an obvious first choice
over ICE cars, then do so with my blessing. I may well switch to
electric myself at some point in the future, but it's going to take a
massive improvement in energy storage technology for me to make that
switch and I can't see that happening in the next few years at least.
I should add that one day, IF I do switch, I shall do so on my own
terms: by putting the motors and batteries into classic cars. I do NOT
want any computers controlling anything under any circumstances!

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<h604eg1et634ihart1n18i30loo1iedk61@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66677&group=sci.electronics.design#66677

From: cd...@nowhere.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:46:58 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:46 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:24:24 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
>> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>>
>>> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>>> the tires.
>>>
>>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>>
>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
>> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
>>
>> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
>> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>>
>> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.
>
>The push to electrify everything while destroying all the reliable
>sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze Age-style collapse.

Quite. The negative environmental consequences of the present battery
technology can also not be understated. But what I personally object
to most of all is being *railroded* into adoption of these vehicles
when the technology, supply infrastructure and generating supply
capacity simply isn't there yet. So I'll be dragging my feet
indefinitely I'm afraid.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<110494f5-10fe-4a67-9dbb-5763e8c217a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66679&group=sci.electronics.design#66679

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 11:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:55 UTC

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 1:23:37 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> Your constant stream of crude insults would be less ludicrous if you
> were right once in a while.
>
> How slomanesque.

Now *this* is why Larkin comes to the party. He ain't here for the hunting. He just likes the drama. Telenovela de la Larkin!

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<b5c76f95-42a3-406f-b0b0-ca03a2756d8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66681&group=sci.electronics.design#66681

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:00 UTC

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 2:40:51 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote:
>
> >On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> >> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
> >> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
> >
> >Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
> >
> >> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
> >> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
> >>
> >> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.
> >>

> >They've sold a lot more EVs than rail guns
> I'm sure your EVs will eventually prevail, but the first generation of
> them seems well worth avoiding. In fact the first generation of
> *anything* is well worth avoiding IMV. But if people like yourself
> want to spend good money assisting in the development of this kind of
> vehicle, to get it to what *one day* will be an obvious first choice
> over ICE cars, then do so with my blessing. I may well switch to
> electric myself at some point in the future, but it's going to take a
> massive improvement in energy storage technology for me to make that
> switch and I can't see that happening in the next few years at least.
> I should add that one day, IF I do switch, I shall do so on my own
> terms: by putting the motors and batteries into classic cars. I do NOT
> want any computers controlling anything under any circumstances!

Perhaps you could find a tropical island nest. No microwave ovens, or any sort of oven at all, no clothes washers or dryers, no phones, no lights, no motor cars, not a single luxury. Like Robinson Crusoe, It's primitive as can be.

Lol!

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<m424eg1um9ab6h0761r7pai8ghkbsks21e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66691&group=sci.electronics.design#66691

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 12:28:51 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:28 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:19:08 +0000 (UTC),
>> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>>
>>> Damn those cars are fast out of the hole. Didn't even have to warm up
>>> the tires.
>>>
>>> Skipped the pre-nonsense about sponsors...
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/ANV-XJ7bFNU?t=211>
>>
>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
>> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
>
>Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?

It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5 people
or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow and
ski car.

3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can gas up
anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.

I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top. Might
wreck the range.

I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of gas.
Try that with a Tesla!

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<c234eg16idd5btuvi5mb7al4aj18aujmf9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66694&group=sci.electronics.design#66694

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 12:38:31 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:38 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:40:44 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>>On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
>>> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
>>
>>Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
>>
>>> The Navy just cancelled their rail gun fiasco. Gunpowder wins. It took
>>> them half a billion dollars to figure that out.
>>>
>>> EMALS has been a lot of trouble too. Steam wins.
>>>

>>They've sold a lot more EVs than rail guns
>
>I'm sure your EVs will eventually prevail, but the first generation of
>them seems well worth avoiding. In fact the first generation of
>*anything* is well worth avoiding IMV. But if people like yourself
>want to spend good money assisting in the development of this kind of
>vehicle, to get it to what *one day* will be an obvious first choice
>over ICE cars, then do so with my blessing. I may well switch to
>electric myself at some point in the future, but it's going to take a
>massive improvement in energy storage technology for me to make that
>switch and I can't see that happening in the next few years at least.
>I should add that one day, IF I do switch, I shall do so on my own
>terms: by putting the motors and batteries into classic cars. I do NOT
>want any computers controlling anything under any circumstances!

Engine control computers are a practical necessity these days, but
that doesn't mean you need a crazy touch screen interface to blow the
horn. I like knobs that I can feel and turn without taking my eyes off
the road.

And not just cars. Stoves, washing machines, doorknobs.

We have motorized window shades in our conference room, with remotes
that nobody ever understood. I told people they would be dead in a
couple of years, and they are. The ones in my office, with a pull
chain loop, still work fine.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<8441a89c-ca92-4ad3-92fd-8e145f5a1005n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66699&group=sci.electronics.design#66699

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:56 UTC

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:29:02 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote:
> >On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> >> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with screaming
> >> braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and charge?
> >
> >Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
> It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5 people
> or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow and
> ski car.
>
> 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can gas up
> anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
>
> I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top. Might
> wreck the range.
>
> I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of gas.
> Try that with a Tesla!

That is true. A full tank of gas will definitely hamper a Tesla. Any sort of trailer will do that for most cars.

Wasn't it a Tesla that just set a new record for ascending Pike's Peak in one class?

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<4b6b64e8-c5fe-4918-ae23-532cf9ca0a15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66706&group=sci.electronics.design#66706

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 21:04 UTC

søndag den 4. juli 2021 kl. 21.56.59 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com:
> On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:29:02 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

> > >Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
> > It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5 people
> > or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow and
> > ski car.
> >
> > 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can gas up
> > anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
> >
> > I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top. Might
> > wreck the range.
> >
> > I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of gas.
> > Try that with a Tesla!
> That is true. A full tank of gas will definitely hamper a Tesla. Any sort of trailer will do that for most cars.
>
> Wasn't it a Tesla that just set a new record for ascending Pike's Peak in one class?

won it's class no records could be set it was a shortened course. It was a modified car, slower than modified cars in other classes

But the overall record is an all electric car, at altitude electric has a big advantage and the course is only 20km

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<1ve4eg9ovn0vfiqjb067p8u7msvjhvr9di@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66718&group=sci.electronics.design#66718

From: cd...@nowhere.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 23:54:49 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 22:54 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Rick C
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:29:02 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

>> >Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
>> It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5 people
>> or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow and
>> ski car.
>>
>> 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can gas up
>> anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
>>
>> I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top. Might
>> wreck the range.
>>
>> I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of gas.
>> Try that with a Tesla!
>
>That is true. A full tank of gas will definitely hamper a Tesla. Any sort of trailer will do that for most cars.
>
>Wasn't it a Tesla that just set a new record for ascending Pike's Peak in one class?

Must have been a short stint. Very short.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<f9g6eg5p5i5o4nuhpd099sg218s76idbei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66781&group=sci.electronics.design#66781

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.szaf.org!news.karotte.org!news.uzoreto.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:30:36 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 17:30 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 23:54:49 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:56:56 -0700 (PDT), Rick C
><gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5 people
>>> or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow and
>>> ski car.
>>>
>>> 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can gas up
>>> anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
>>>
>>> I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top. Might
>>> wreck the range.
>>>
>>> I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of gas.
>>> Try that with a Tesla!
>>
>>That is true. A full tank of gas will definitely hamper a Tesla. Any sort of trailer will do that for most cars.
>>
>>Wasn't it a Tesla that just set a new record for ascending Pike's Peak in one class?
>
>Must have been a short stint. Very short.

I haven't ascended Pike's Peak in weeks at least.

I drive over the Sierra Crest and the Audi works fine, except for
posted speed limits. I can even leave the heater on.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbvkiu$1pm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66788&group=sci.electronics.design#66788

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:55:26 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:55 UTC

> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
>> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in
>>
>>> The push to electrify everything while destroying all the
>>> reliable sources of supply is liable to lead to another Bronze
>>> Age-style collapse.
>>>

>> Sure, bub.
>
> You're channeling Bugs Bunny again. Have a nice carrot and sober
> up. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
> (Happy Fourth!)

Nice job of ignoring the actual post content.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbvknq$1pm$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66789&group=sci.electronics.design#66789

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:58:03 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:58 UTC

Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 1:23:37 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
>> Your constant stream of crude insults would be less ludicrous if
>> you were right once in a while.
>>
>> How slomanesque.
>
> Now *this* is why Larkin comes to the party. He ain't here for
> the hunting. He just likes the drama. Telenovela de la Larkin!

And he cannot figure out that he gets a stream of insults because he
constantly spews streams of insults.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbvkrd$1pm$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66790&group=sci.electronics.design#66790

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:59:57 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:59 UTC

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:44:54 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On 7/4/2021 10:15 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> What's the point of alternating screaming acceleration with
>>> screaming braking? And then waiting an hour to get a stall and
>>> charge?
>>
>>Don't you drive a sports car, yourself?
>

> It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5
> people or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great
> snow and ski car.
>
> 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can
> gas up anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
>
> I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top.
> Might wreck the range.
>
> I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of
> gas. Try that with a Tesla!

SUVs are made for hauling. A Tesla... decidedly is not.

Re: Tesla rules! Again!

<sbvl8d$enu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66792&group=sci.electronics.design#66792

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 19:06:54 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 19:06 UTC

Lasse Langwadt Christensen <langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote in

> søndag den 4. juli 2021 kl. 21.56.59 UTC+2 skrev
> gnuarm.del...@gmail.com:
>> On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 3:29:02 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

> up

>> > It's a hatchback with a real roof. 5 doors. Good for hauling 5
>> > people
>
>> > or one filing cabinet or a half dozen 10' 2x4s. AWD, great snow
>> > and ski car.
>> >
>> > 3.2l non-turbo V6 is good on mountains and freeways. And it can
>> > gas up
>
>> > anywhere in less time than it takes to squeege the windows.
>> >
>> > I don't see Teslas with roof racks or sheets of plywood on top.
>> > Might
>
>> > wreck the range.
>> >
>> > I strapped a futon on top and made it to Truckee on one tank of
>> > gas. Try that with a Tesla!
>> That is true. A full tank of gas will definitely hamper a Tesla.
>> Any sort
> of trailer will do that for most cars.
>>
>> Wasn't it a Tesla that just set a new record for ascending Pike's
>> Peak in
> one class?
>
> won it's class no records could be set it was a shortened course.
> It was a modified car, slower than modified cars in other classes
>
> But the overall record is an all electric car, at altitude
> electric has a big advantage and the course is only 20km

When I lived in Denver we called it "Pike's Weak" because they
charged like $8 a pop to drive to it back in the wearly '90s.

Mt Evans is higher and nobody there usually. Highest paved road in
the nation. Drive right up to the peak.