From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Indicator Rod
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:14:51 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:14 UTC

Dial Indicator Rod

On the right side of the head of my manual knee mill there is a rod that
sets in clamp in the casting. A simple thumb screw holds it at whatever
height you set it. Its pretty short. In fact its kind of in the way.
If it was any longer I would have already removed it and tossed it in a
tool box.

I'm not really sure what its good for. Not really suitable for a
tapping head arm if you use the quill. I can't imagine tapping with the
knee. Maybe it might be okay with a coaxial indicator, but that seems a
bit of overkill to build a stop rod into the machine. I'm also not sure
it would reach down far enough to engage the arm on my coaxial indicator.

Generally I think its an "anything you can use it for" feature at best.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Indicator Rod

<tt0mds$s1uu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7022&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7022

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Indicator Rod
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:50:04 +0000
 by: David Billington - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:50 UTC

On 20/02/2023 20:14, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Dial Indicator Rod
>
> On the right side of the head of my manual knee mill there is a rod
> that sets in clamp in the casting.  A simple thumb screw holds it at
> whatever height you set it.  Its pretty short.  In fact its kind of in
> the way. If it was any longer I would have already removed it and
> tossed it in a tool box.
>
> I'm not really sure what its good for.  Not really suitable for a
> tapping head arm if you use the quill.  I can't imagine tapping with
> the knee.  Maybe it might be okay with a coaxial indicator, but that
> seems a bit of overkill to build a stop rod into the machine.  I'm
> also not sure it would reach down far enough to engage the arm on my
> coaxial indicator.
>
> Generally I think its an "anything you can use it for" feature at best.

I made a bar to act as a guide for letter and number punches and the
main support rod is held in a collet in the spindle but another smaller
rod goes into that hole to align it with the axis and stop it rotating.
I've also seen it used for holding chuck guards.

Re: Indicator Rod

<tt0neg$s454$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7023&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7023

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:07:28 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

On 2/20/2023 1:50 PM, David Billington wrote:
> On 20/02/2023 20:14, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Dial Indicator Rod
>>
>> On the right side of the head of my manual knee mill there is a rod
>> that sets in clamp in the casting.  A simple thumb screw holds it at
>> whatever height you set it.  Its pretty short.  In fact its kind of in
>> the way. If it was any longer I would have already removed it and
>> tossed it in a tool box.
>>
>> I'm not really sure what its good for.  Not really suitable for a
>> tapping head arm if you use the quill.  I can't imagine tapping with
>> the knee.  Maybe it might be okay with a coaxial indicator, but that
>> seems a bit of overkill to build a stop rod into the machine.  I'm
>> also not sure it would reach down far enough to engage the arm on my
>> coaxial indicator.
>>
>> Generally I think its an "anything you can use it for" feature at best.
>>

> I made a bar to act as a guide for letter and number punches and the
> main support rod is held in a collet in the spindle but another smaller
> rod goes into that hole to align it with the axis and stop it rotating.

That's a clever use.
> I've also seen it used for holding chuck guards.

Now that seems to be an obvious use now that somebody said it. I keep
telling myself I'm going to make some mag base spray shields, but
bending a piece of polycarbonate and clamping it to that rod might be
really useful for keeping chips and coolant out of my face.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Indicator Rod

<tt0pq9$sea4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7024&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7024

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:47:53 +0000
 by: David Billington - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:47 UTC

On 20/02/2023 21:07, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 2/20/2023 1:50 PM, David Billington wrote:
>> On 20/02/2023 20:14, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> Dial Indicator Rod
>>>
>>> On the right side of the head of my manual knee mill there is a rod
>>> that sets in clamp in the casting.  A simple thumb screw holds it at
>>> whatever height you set it.  Its pretty short.  In fact its kind of
>>> in the way. If it was any longer I would have already removed it and
>>> tossed it in a tool box.
>>>
>>> I'm not really sure what its good for.  Not really suitable for a
>>> tapping head arm if you use the quill.  I can't imagine tapping with
>>> the knee.  Maybe it might be okay with a coaxial indicator, but that
>>> seems a bit of overkill to build a stop rod into the machine.  I'm
>>> also not sure it would reach down far enough to engage the arm on my
>>> coaxial indicator.
>>>
>>> Generally I think its an "anything you can use it for" feature at best.
>>>

>> I made a bar to act as a guide for letter and number punches and the
>> main support rod is held in a collet in the spindle but another
>> smaller rod goes into that hole to align it with the axis and stop it
>> rotating.
>
> That's a clever use.
>> I've also seen it used for holding chuck guards.
>
> Now that seems to be an obvious use now that somebody said it.  I keep
> telling myself I'm going to make some mag base spray shields, but
> bending a piece of polycarbonate and clamping it to that rod might be
> really useful for keeping chips and coolant out of my face.

I made a couple of mag base safety shields some years back and put them
between the operation and me if I have any concern. Just about 12"x12"
square polycarbonate and flat, the mag bases are cheap these days and
sit out of the way on the back of the BP when not in use, handy having a
mag base as they'll stick anywhere there's iron.