From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: A New Beginning
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:26:56 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 23:26 UTC

I received a piece of 6061 aluminum in the mail and my wife is working
today ... guess where I've been ?
So far I have the hole for the collet sleeve machined and the bottom
side counter bored for the sleeve nut that will retain it . That was
done on the lathe with the chunk clamped to a face plate , and worked
out great . I'll be getting the vice set up on the mill to machine the
flat surfaces next .
I was going to take a ride on the Harley tomorrow , but yesterday's
4+ inches of rain has washed out the road ... and with all the rain it's
too wet to plow so I can't work in the garden ... so I guess I'll spend
tomorrow out in the shop too !
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: A New Beginning

<tvo2ve$2d73n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7242&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7242

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: A New Beginning
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:17:49 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:17 UTC

On 3/25/2023 4:26 PM, Snag wrote:
>  I received a piece of 6061 aluminum in the mail and my wife is working
> today ... guess where I've been ?
>  So far I have the hole for the collet sleeve machined and the bottom
> side counter bored for the sleeve nut that will retain it . That was
> done on the lathe with the chunk clamped to a face plate , and worked
> out great .  I'll be getting the vice set up on the mill to machine the
> flat surfaces next .
>   I was going to take a ride on the Harley tomorrow , but yesterday's
> 4+ inches of rain has washed out the road ... and with all the rain it's
> too wet to plow so I can't work in the garden ... so I guess I'll spend
> tomorrow out in the shop too !

How big of a piece of metal do you need? Seems like a lot of work to
make it out of 6061. This from a guy who burns through 6061 all day
long in his day.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: A New Beginning

<tvobs0$2hdca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7243&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7243

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:49:34 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 02:49 UTC

On 3/25/2023 7:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/25/2023 4:26 PM, Snag wrote:
>>   I received a piece of 6061 aluminum in the mail and my wife is
>> working today ... guess where I've been ?
>>   So far I have the hole for the collet sleeve machined and the bottom
>> side counter bored for the sleeve nut that will retain it . That was
>> done on the lathe with the chunk clamped to a face plate , and worked
>> out great .  I'll be getting the vice set up on the mill to machine
>> the flat surfaces next .
>>    I was going to take a ride on the Harley tomorrow , but yesterday's
>> 4+ inches of rain has washed out the road ... and with all the rain
>> it's too wet to plow so I can't work in the garden ... so I guess I'll
>> spend tomorrow out in the shop too !
>

> How big of a piece of metal do you need?  Seems like a lot of work to
> make it out of 6061.  This from a guy who burns through 6061 all day
> long in his day.

I got what I need ... I learned a lot the first time around , this one
is going quite smoothly . The Chunk started out as a 1 1/2 x 3 x 6 inch
piece . It now has a 1.5" hole in one end , and by this time tomorrow it
will bear little resemblance to the the original piece .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: A New Beginning

<tvpb01$2m9uo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7245&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7245

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 07:39:45 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:39 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:tvobs0$2hdca$1@dont-email.me...

....by this time tomorrow it
will bear little resemblance to the the original piece .
Snag

-----------------------

Good luck. I hope it closely resembles an end mill sharpening fixture. Since
it's aluminum it won't be a good excuse to buy a surface grinder.

Re: A New Beginning

<tvpve8$2pn3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7247&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7247

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:29:44 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:29 UTC

On 3/25/2023 7:49 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 3/25/2023 7:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 3/25/2023 4:26 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>   I received a piece of 6061 aluminum in the mail and my wife is
>>> working today ... guess where I've been ?
>>>   So far I have the hole for the collet sleeve machined and the
>>> bottom side counter bored for the sleeve nut that will retain it .
>>> That was done on the lathe with the chunk clamped to a face plate ,
>>> and worked out great .  I'll be getting the vice set up on the mill
>>> to machine the flat surfaces next .
>>>    I was going to take a ride on the Harley tomorrow , but
>>> yesterday's 4+ inches of rain has washed out the road ... and with
>>> all the rain it's too wet to plow so I can't work in the garden ...
>>> so I guess I'll spend tomorrow out in the shop too !
>>

>> How big of a piece of metal do you need?  Seems like a lot of work to
>> make it out of 6061.  This from a guy who burns through 6061 all day
>> long in his day.
>>

> I got what I need ... I learned a lot the first time around , this one
> is going quite smoothly . The Chunk started out as a 1 1/2 x 3 x 6 inch
> piece . It now has a 1.5" hole in one end , and by this time tomorrow it
> will bear little resemblance to the the original piece .

I was thinking this is a real tool makers tool. I don't know if I would
put in that much work to make it out of aluminum.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: A New Beginning

<tvq1o0$2q441$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7248&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7248

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 13:09:03 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:09 UTC

On 3/26/2023 12:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/25/2023 7:49 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>

>>> How big of a piece of metal do you need?  Seems like a lot of work to
>>> make it out of 6061.  This from a guy who burns through 6061 all day
>>> long in his day.
>>>

>> I got what I need ... I learned a lot the first time around , this one
>> is going quite smoothly . The Chunk started out as a 1 1/2 x 3 x 6
>> inch piece . It now has a 1.5" hole in one end , and by this time
>> tomorrow it will bear little resemblance to the the original piece .
>
> I was thinking this is a real tool makers tool.  I don't know if I would
> put in that much work to make it out of aluminum.

This part is not stressed enough to warrant making it from steel ...
the parts that need to be , such as the collet holder and associated
bits are steel .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts