He keeps differentiating, flying off on a tangent.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

SubjectAuthor
* Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
+* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesOdd Bodkin
> [...]
|    |          +- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
|    |          `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesOdd Bodkin
|    |           `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
|    |            `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesOdd Bodkin
|    |             +- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
|    |             +- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
|    |             `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
|    |              `- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesOdd Bodkin
|    `- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesDirk Van de moortel
+- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
`* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
 `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
  `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
   `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
    `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
     `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
      `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
       `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesRichard Hachel
        +* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
        |`* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesTom Roberts
        | `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesMaciej Wozniak
        |  `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
        |   +* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesMaciej Wozniak
        |   |`* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesSylvia Else
        |   | `- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesMaciej Wozniak
        |   `* Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesJ. J. Lodder
        |    `- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesMaciej Wozniak
        `- Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupiesThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Pages:1234
Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<jBBTARIX6RcV021gxxcCDO8KgqI@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73757&group=sci.physics.relativity#73757

Subject: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: o6eflE82qv2adS3_U6_4wmoHyYQ
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=jBBTARIX6RcV021gxxcCDO8KgqI@jntp
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 21 11:47:35 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 11:47 UTC

Hello my little chips.
An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
possible by their technology.
Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
foreigners on earth.
These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
She is promoted to sergeant.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sot902$1nk8$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73780&group=sci.physics.relativity#73780

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:56:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:56 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Hello my little chips.
> An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
> terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
> to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
> possible by their technology.
> Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
> By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
> deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
> foreigners on earth.
> These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
> services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
> The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
> We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
> She is promoted to sergeant.
>
> R.H.

Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<29251872-7fed-4fb8-b2f0-06c2a33c0b50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73790&group=sci.physics.relativity#73790

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 10:15:27 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:15 UTC

On Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 16:56:53 UTC+1, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> Richard Hachel <r.ha...@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > Hello my little chips.
> > An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
> > terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
> > to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
> > possible by their technology.
> > Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
> > By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
> > deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
> > foreigners on earth.
> > These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
> > services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
> > The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart..
> > The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
> > signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
> > Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
> > We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
> > She is promoted to sergeant.
> >
> > R.H.
> >
> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?

Speaking of math, it's always good to remind that your
bunch of idiots had to assume its oldest part false, as it
didn't want to cooperate with the insane postulates of
your idiot guru.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<soti2d$g0f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73791&group=sci.physics.relativity#73791

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 18:31 UTC

Maciej Wozniak <maluwozniak@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 16:56:53 UTC+1, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Richard Hachel <r.ha...@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello my little chips.
>>> An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
>>> terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
>>> to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
>>> possible by their technology.
>>> Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
>>> By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
>>> deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
>>> foreigners on earth.
>>> These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
>>> services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
>>> The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
>>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>>> We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
>>> She is promoted to sergeant.
>>>
>>> R.H.
>>>
>> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?
>
> Speaking of math, it's always good to remind that your
> bunch of idiots had to assume its oldest part false, as it
> didn't want to cooperate with the insane postulates of
> your idiot guru.

The oldest part? Integers?? Integers are assumed false??

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<oT1xTN8zu22sFf36enp6ti87q7s@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73798&group=sci.physics.relativity#73798

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: 2FVOPQiGDga8en6uU7l3oJcr2KM
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=oT1xTN8zu22sFf36enp6ti87q7s@jntp
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 21 19:47:40 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:47 UTC

Le 09/12/2021 à 16:56, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>> Hello my little chips.
>> An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
>> terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
>> to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
>> possible by their technology.
>> Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
>> By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
>> deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
>> foreigners on earth.
>> These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
>> services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
>> The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>> We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
>> She is promoted to sergeant.
>>
>> R.H.
>>

> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?

I ask a question, it is simple.

The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.

It's just a fun relativistic exercise.

I'll be happy to know that there is someone here who can solve this
trivial little problem.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sou056$110v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73809&group=sci.physics.relativity#73809

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:32:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:32 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 09/12/2021 à 16:56, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello my little chips.
>>> An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
>>> terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
>>> to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
>>> possible by their technology.
>>> Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
>>> By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
>>> deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
>>> foreigners on earth.
>>> These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
>>> services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
>>> The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
>>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>>> We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
>>> She is promoted to sergeant.
>>>
>>> R.H.
>>>

>> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?
>
> I ask a question, it is simple.
>
> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.

It’s not obvious until you show the calculations.

> It's just a fun relativistic exercise.
>
> I'll be happy to know that there is someone here who can solve this
> trivial little problem.
>
> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<fVpX7JXhpPYdAvlwtDyxjU4r_NU@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73818&group=sci.physics.relativity#73818

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: cpug2Kryx57bqx8B_6T_y-5abCw
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=fVpX7JXhpPYdAvlwtDyxjU4r_NU@jntp
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 21 23:03:38 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 23:03 UTC

Le 09/12/2021 à 23:32, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>>> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?
>>
>> I ask a question, it is simple.
>>
>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>
> It’s not obvious until you show the calculations.
>

>> It's just a fun relativistic exercise.
>>
>> I'll be happy to know that there is someone here who can solve this
>> trivial little problem.
>>
>> R.H.

? ? ?

I pose a problem, I say that the terrestrial observer perceives the return
of the signal which he sends. The two "electromagnetic mirrors" are
located 80 meters apart in the rocket.
The time difference is 80µs (800ns) between the reception of the two
beeps.
We are simply asking to give the speed of the alien rocket and to see if
the intelligence of the Terran spy service, which affirmed that the rocket
could exceed a speed of one hundred thousand km / s was valid or not.
What is it that you don't understand in the question?

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sovm9a$1laf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73863&group=sci.physics.relativity#73863

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 13:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 13:55 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 09/12/2021 à 23:32, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>>> I ask a question, it is simple.
>>>
>>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>>
>> It’s not obvious until you show the calculations.
>>

>>> It's just a fun relativistic exercise.
>>>
>>> I'll be happy to know that there is someone here who can solve this
>>> trivial little problem.
>>>
>>> R.H.
>>>

> ? ? ?
>
> I pose a problem, I say that the terrestrial observer perceives the return
> of the signal which he sends. The two "electromagnetic mirrors" are
> located 80 meters apart in the rocket.

Ok, 80 meters in the earth frame or the rocket frame?

> The time difference is 80µs (800ns) between the reception of the two
> beeps.

Ah, I see, a given. So the extra time is twice the time it takes for the
light pulse to travel along the length of the rocket (in the earth frame)
and to catch up with the moving front end of the rocket.
If the rocket speed is v, then the expression is
c(t/2) = L/gamma + v(t/2), where gamma is the usual expression in terms of
v/c.
Setting t = 800ns let’s you find v.

Do you need help with the arithmetic?

> We are simply asking to give the speed of the alien rocket and to see if
> the intelligence of the Terran spy service, which affirmed that the rocket
> could exceed a speed of one hundred thousand km / s was valid or not.
> What is it that you don't understand in the question?
>
> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<UsMJfaVXpdNYECmN-Gmzr6TVxoA@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73875&group=sci.physics.relativity#73875

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: Ht4VWmHFLoZgdi0l3G0UJJf0N9E
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=UsMJfaVXpdNYECmN-Gmzr6TVxoA@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 15:01:19 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:01 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 14:55, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>> I pose a problem, I say that the terrestrial observer perceives the return
>> of the signal which he sends. The two "electromagnetic mirrors" are
>> located 80 meters apart in the rocket.
>
> Ok, 80 meters in the earth frame or the rocket frame?
>
>> The time difference is 80µs (800ns) between the reception of the two
>> beeps.
>
> Ah, I see, a given. So the extra time is twice the time it takes for the
> light pulse to travel along the length of the rocket (in the earth frame)
> and to catch up with the moving front end of the rocket.
> If the rocket speed is v, then the expression is
> c(t/2) = L/gamma + v(t/2), where gamma is the usual expression in terms of
> v/c.
> Setting t = 800ns let’s you find v.
>
> Do you need help with the arithmetic?

Oh, no, I don't need help. I am asking the questions for you, not for me.
The rocket, placed on the ground, measures 80 meters on the ground. When
she is in space, in ITS frame of reference, she also measures 80 meters.
We do not know its size seen from the ground, because we do not even know
its speed.
On the other hand, the Russian secret services managed to intercept the
double answer separated by 80µs and we transmitted the data to their
American colleagues.
This is how the Americans were able to verify whether or not the
information from the French secret services was correct, that is to say
that the speed reached at full speed by the extraterrestrials could or not
exceed a third of the speed of the light.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sovqro$2h0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73876&group=sci.physics.relativity#73876

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:14:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:14 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 10/12/2021 à 14:55, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>
>>> I pose a problem, I say that the terrestrial observer perceives the return
>>> of the signal which he sends. The two "electromagnetic mirrors" are
>>> located 80 meters apart in the rocket.
>>
>> Ok, 80 meters in the earth frame or the rocket frame?
>>
>>> The time difference is 80µs (800ns) between the reception of the two
>>> beeps.
>>
>> Ah, I see, a given. So the extra time is twice the time it takes for the
>> light pulse to travel along the length of the rocket (in the earth frame)
>> and to catch up with the moving front end of the rocket.
>> If the rocket speed is v, then the expression is
>> c(t/2) = L/gamma + v(t/2), where gamma is the usual expression in terms of
>> v/c.
>> Setting t = 800ns let’s you find v.
>>
>> Do you need help with the arithmetic?
>
> Oh, no, I don't need help. I am asking the questions for you, not for me.
> The rocket, placed on the ground, measures 80 meters on the ground. When
> she is in space, in ITS frame of reference, she also measures 80 meters.
> We do not know its size seen from the ground, because we do not even know
> its speed.

So put in 80m for L, and v is the only variable left. It’s just arithmetic.

> On the other hand, the Russian secret services managed to intercept the
> double answer separated by 80µs and we transmitted the data to their
> American colleagues.
> This is how the Americans were able to verify whether or not the
> information from the French secret services was correct, that is to say
> that the speed reached at full speed by the extraterrestrials could or not
> exceed a third of the speed of the light.

No need to wrap it in science fiction.

> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<F2Hfz7_oae51_UjXI3u-eEqNHdY@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73878&group=sci.physics.relativity#73878

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: S2gTd4TP54SRwS4wbilU_6pU528
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=F2Hfz7_oae51_UjXI3u-eEqNHdY@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 15:21:41 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:21 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 16:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

>>> c(t/2) = L/gamma + v(t/2), where gamma is the usual expression in terms of
>>> v/c.
>>> Setting t = 800ns let’s you find v.

> So put in 80m for L, and v is the only variable left. It’s just arithmetic.

You don't know v.

You can't know γ.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<4Mab-TrM3aEJz5_IkZJ52qVZkfU@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73880&group=sci.physics.relativity#73880

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: Rt3_WIIJ7uR6hJv-vL33_amULUk
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=4Mab-TrM3aEJz5_IkZJ52qVZkfU@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 15:24:36 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:24 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 16:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

> No need to wrap it in science fiction.

It's more fun with SF.

You know the rocket velocity?

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sovs3j$of4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73883&group=sci.physics.relativity#73883

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:35:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:35 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>> So put in 80m for L, and v is the only variable left. It’s just arithmetic.
>
> You don't know v.
>
> You can't know γ.

But gamma = 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), so the whole relation I just give has just
one variable, v.

To wit: c(t/2) = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) + v(t/2), where t = 800 ns, and L = 80
m. There’s only one variable in that equation. Do you need help with the
arithmetic?

> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sovs3k$of4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73884&group=sci.physics.relativity#73884

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:35:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:35 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 10/12/2021 à 16:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>
>> No need to wrap it in science fiction.
>
> It's more fun with SF.

For you.

> You know the rocket velocity?

I have a simple equation with one variable v, and the rest is just
arithmetic, so yes, the rocket velocity is in hand. Do you need more help?

> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<VuziIrrJeBXn78uDYXh4wF5Qw4c@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73885&group=sci.physics.relativity#73885

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: JiuegSEklFqoabI4wfkTK8rCXgs
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=VuziIrrJeBXn78uDYXh4wF5Qw4c@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 15:40:20 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:40 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 16:35, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>> Le 10/12/2021 à 16:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>>
>>> No need to wrap it in science fiction.
>>
>> It's more fun with SF.
>
> For you.
>

>> You know the rocket velocity?
>
> I have a simple equation with one variable v, and the rest is just
> arithmetic, so yes, the rocket velocity is in hand. Do you need more help?

Yes.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<06cc401c-f912-469a-b464-4f3f7e9048e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73886&group=sci.physics.relativity#73886

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:46:40 -0800 (PST)
From: rot...@gmail.com (rotchm)
 by: rotchm - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:46 UTC

On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 2:47:43 PM UTC-5, Richard Hachel wrote:

> I ask a question, it is simple.

No you are/have not. Nowhere have you asked any questions.
You need to learn how to write.
Rewrite your whole original scenario in one small paragraph. Be clear and concise.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sovtoh$1l5a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73887&group=sci.physics.relativity#73887

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:03:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:03 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 09/12/2021 à 16:56, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello my little chips.
>>> An extraterrestrial rocket crosses in the outskirts of the earth and the
>>> terrestrial command, who knows that this rocket is at maximum speed, due
>>> to the spying of our secret services, would like to know this speed
>>> possible by their technology.
>>> Aliens obviously don't mean anything. It's secret defense.
>>> By any means, Véronique Affoinez managed to penetrate the rocket to
>>> deposit two small electromagnetic spy mirrors during a stopover by
>>> foreigners on earth.
>>> These two tiny mirrors which escaped the vigilance of the surveillance
>>> services are placed one at the front of the rocket, the other at the rear.
>>> The rocket is about 85 meters long, and the mirrors are 80 meters apart.
>>> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
>>> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
>>> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>>> We conclude that Véronique did her job well, and we slash the champagne.
>>> She is promoted to sergeant.
>>>
>>> R.H.
>>>

>> Can you show, by doing the math, how you arrived at the 800 ns?
>
> I ask a question, it is simple.
>
> The rocket fleeing the earth at high speed, an isolated electromagnetic
> signal is sent which will strike the two mirrors.
> Obviously, we obtain two responses separated by 0.80µs.
>
> It's just a fun relativistic exercise.
>
> I'll be happy to know that there is someone here who can solve this
> trivial little problem.
>
> R.H.

It is trivial.

Richard, I’ve given you the equation and the rationale.
Viz: c(t/2) = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) + v(t/2).
Since L and t are given in the problem and c is a constant, then this is an
equation with one variable, v, which can be solved for.

You, Richard, confessed that you didn’t know how to do the algebra and
needed help.

OK, after a few steps of algebra, isolating for v produces
This: v = c [(ct)^2 - 4L^2] / [(ct)^2 + 4L^2]
Now you put in t=8E-7s and L=80m and c=3E8m/s and use a calculator.

Do you need help pushing numbers on a calculator?

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<CO25L9cRPXeTyG38Cooypj00Lns@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73897&group=sci.physics.relativity#73897

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: IHxsP27W3htM-tdHPTqsLFoIK5g
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=CO25L9cRPXeTyG38Cooypj00Lns@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 17:52:09 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:52 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 17:03, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

> It is trivial.

> OK, after a few steps of algebra, isolating for v produces
> This: v = c [(ct)^2 - 4L^2] / [(ct)^2 + 4L^2]
> Now you put in t=8E-7s and L=80m and c=3E8m/s and use a calculator.
>
> Do you need help pushing numbers on a calculator?

Yes.

You have a calculator at home, you?

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<i3bbYu6QFUZLStG-Oqa7inpYqYs@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73898&group=sci.physics.relativity#73898

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: TpFRl7pg5DCIY02nE5Rc4eZWk08
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=i3bbYu6QFUZLStG-Oqa7inpYqYs@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 17:59:02 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:59 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 16:46, rotchm a écrit :
> On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 2:47:43 PM UTC-5, Richard Hachel wrote:
>
>> I ask a question, it is simple.
>
> No you are/have not. Nowhere have you asked any questions.
> You need to learn how to write.
> Rewrite your whole original scenario in one small paragraph. Be clear and
> concise.

The question is asked in the first post of the thread.
We ask to find the speed of the rocket in space.
A surfer tried it, but he's having problems with his calculator.
l = 80 (at rest)
t = 0.80µs

What is v?

Merci.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sp05dm$1sh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73901&group=sci.physics.relativity#73901

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:14:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:14 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 10/12/2021 à 17:03, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>
>> It is trivial.
>
>> OK, after a few steps of algebra, isolating for v produces
>> This: v = c [(ct)^2 - 4L^2] / [(ct)^2 + 4L^2]
>> Now you put in t=8E-7s and L=80m and c=3E8m/s and use a calculator.
>>
>> Do you need help pushing numbers on a calculator?
>
> Yes.
>
> You have a calculator at home, you?
>
> R.H.

Very well, v = 0.384c. I didn’t need a calculator. Just two sums, two
squares, and one long division.

So let’s see. All this blustering you’ve been doing about being of
above-average smarts, and so far you’ve confessed that you can’t do
arithmetic, you can’t do first-year algebra, and you don’t know how to use
Lorentz transforms. Furthermore, you won’t read a textbook on the subject.

So whom do you think you’re fooling?

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sp05dq$1sh4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73902&group=sci.physics.relativity#73902

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:14:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:14 UTC

Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> Le 10/12/2021 à 16:46, rotchm a écrit :
>> On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 2:47:43 PM UTC-5, Richard Hachel wrote:
>>
>>> I ask a question, it is simple.
>>
>> No you are/have not. Nowhere have you asked any questions.
>> You need to learn how to write.
>> Rewrite your whole original scenario in one small paragraph. Be clear and
>> concise.
>
> The question is asked in the first post of the thread.
> We ask to find the speed of the rocket in space.
> A surfer tried it, but he's having problems with his calculator.
> l = 80 (at rest)
> t = 0.80µs
>
> What is v?

1.15*10^8 m/s.

What seems to be the problem?

> Merci.
>
> R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<LuiwCqPpGda4drkYm86x7tgydhY@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73903&group=sci.physics.relativity#73903

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: uJzbX9nkV7QxSjUlSJS5a3IlJwE
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=LuiwCqPpGda4drkYm86x7tgydhY@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 18:17:09 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:17 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 19:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

>>> It is trivial.

> Very well, v = 0.384c.

Right answer.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<oxaXR2t-ul_PXRf9KX8EHI3WV5Q@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73907&group=sci.physics.relativity#73907

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: JmxyXhviPzeof1ONFKHovQ0JdkE
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=oxaXR2t-ul_PXRf9KX8EHI3WV5Q@jntp
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 19:03:05 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:03 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 19:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

> 1.15*10^8 m/s.

Yes.

Certainly.

But now let's go further.

Assuming the beep returned exactly 5 seconds after leaving, where was the
rocket the instant it received the beep?
To answer, we assume that the observable speed of light is Vo = c.
And quickly, we get d = t / 2c.
Let d = 750.10 ^ 6m

Let's go even further:
We ask for the apparent size of the rocket at this moment seen from the
earth, in case a sufficiently powerful telescope could have spotted it.
We then ask for the apparent size of this rocket for an observer who, in
the terrestrial inertial frame of reference, let us assume placed at the
level of Jupiter, would observe the rocket heading in its direction.
For help, we give v = 0.385c, or sqrt(1+v/c)/(1-v/c) = 1.5
and also 1/1.05 = 0.666

Good luck.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<kdIpH-zk8MPJXAi8efYcUrvrvkY@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73908&group=sci.physics.relativity#73908

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: bGsEGz-eFHaT0zHQE9Wl4Tn5k8Q
JNTP-ThreadID: vCokjkV04-GaJ9jfSjfTojT00Tc
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=kdIpH-zk8MPJXAi8efYcUrvrvkY@jntp
Supersedes: <oxaXR2t-ul_PXRf9KX8EHI3WV5Q@jntp>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 21 19:08:12 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:08 UTC

Le 10/12/2021 à 19:14, Odd Bodkin a écrit :

> 1.15*10^8 m/s.

Yes.

Certainly.

But now let's go further.

Assuming the beep returned exactly 5 seconds after leaving, where was the
rocket the instant it received the beep?
To answer, we assume that the observable speed of light is Vo = c.
And quickly, we get d = t * 2c.
Let d = 750.10 ^ 6m

Let's go even further:
We ask for the apparent size of the rocket at this moment seen from the
earth, in case a sufficiently powerful telescope could have spotted it.
We then ask for the apparent size of this rocket for an observer who, in
the terrestrial inertial frame of reference, let us assume placed at the
level of Jupiter, would observe the rocket heading in its direction.
For help, we give v = 0.385c, or sqrt(1+v/c)/(1-v/c) = 1.5
and also 1/1.05 = 0.666

Good luck.

R.H.

Re: Relativistic problem for my wonderful groupies

<sp08mv$1j1i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=73909&group=sci.physics.relativity#73909

From: dirkvand...@notmail.com (Dirk Van de moortel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 20:10:22 +0100
 by: Dirk Van de moortel - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:10 UTC

Op 10-dec.-2021 om 19:14 schreef Odd Bodkin:
> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>> Le 10/12/2021 à 17:03, Odd Bodkin a écrit :
>>
>>> It is trivial.
>>
>>> OK, after a few steps of algebra, isolating for v produces
>>> This: v = c [(ct)^2 - 4L^2] / [(ct)^2 + 4L^2]
>>> Now you put in t=8E-7s and L=80m and c=3E8m/s and use a calculator.
>>>
>>> Do you need help pushing numbers on a calculator?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> You have a calculator at home, you?
>>
>> R.H.
>>

> Very well, v = 0.384c. I didn’t need a calculator. Just two sums, two
> squares, and one long division.
>
> So let’s see. All this blustering you’ve been doing about being of
> above-average smarts, and so far you’ve confessed that you can’t do
> arithmetic, you can’t do first-year algebra, and you don’t know how to use
> Lorentz transforms. Furthermore, you won’t read a textbook on the subject.

From his miserable failure to answer my simple question about
that stupid extra word that completely ruined his description
of the meanings of the variables in the transformation, it was
immediately clear that there is no place in *our* Universe where
to even begin to think about introducing this twerp to anything
that remotely resembles an education.

> So whom do you think you’re fooling?

Non sequitur.

Dirk Vdm