Dijkstra probably hates me. -- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

SubjectAuthor
* New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 | `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  | `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |  `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |   `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    |+- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    |+* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesFrank Krygowski
 |  |    ||+- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    ||`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || +- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    || |`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || | `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    || |  +- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || |  `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |    || |   +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesFrank Krygowski
 |  |    || |   |+* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    || |   ||+- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesFrank Krygowski
 |  |    || |   ||`- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    || |   |`- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |    || |   `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || |    +- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    || |    `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |    || |     `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    || |      `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |    || `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    ||  +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    ||  |`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    ||  | `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    ||  |  `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    ||  |   `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    ||  `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    ||   `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
 |  |    ||    `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesJohn B.
 |  |    |`* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |    | `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  |    `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
 |  |     `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
 |  `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesTom Kunich
 `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAndre Jute
  +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
  |+* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
  ||`- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesCatrike Rider
  |`- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAndre Jute
  `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman
   `* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAndre Jute
    +* Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAMuzi
    |`- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesAndre Jute
    `- Re: New pedals, both CatrikesRoger Meriman

Pages:123
Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

<488e32b8-5d4d-44e7-b69d-0455ffcbc7bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88069&group=rec.bicycles.tech#88069

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:51:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New pedals, both Catrikes
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:51 UTC

On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 10:56:55 AM UTC+1, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Andre Jute <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> You certainly get longer life than my bikes! The commute bike the DMR (MTB
> >> flat pedals) got just shy of 10k miles. Neither of the MTB or Gravel bikes
> >> are likely to last that long, tend to get the paint scraped off within a
> >> few hundred miles.
> >>
> >> Roger Merman
> >>
> > I use VP-191 block pedals on all my bikes. They're silky smooth forever,
> > presumably because the bearings are most effectively sealed. Built-in
> > reflectors. Their only downside is that they're a bit short for the width
> > of my size twelves, so that their outside edge falls nearer the middle
> > than the outside of my footsole. But, since I routinely wear sandals or
> > shoes with very thick rubber soles, I feel no pain, and just
> > automatically spec the VP-191 on every new bike. I've recommended them
> > for yonks and never met anyone who didn't love them once they got used to them.
> DMR pedals are sealed it’s more the gunk I ride in, though they last good
> few years, can be rebuilt the bearing though I’ve rarely done so as the
> pedal is generally fairly done by then anyway.
>
> https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Pedals/V12-2/V12
>
> Realistically for flat pedal riding ie MTB/Gravel riding I need something
> which is pinned as even with proper flat shoes with sticky ie soft rubber
> sole’s you just slide on the pedals particularly when wet, okay around town
> but even there I prefer having similar pinned pedals as the blocks could
> slide if suitably wet.
>
> They are broadly the type of pedals I used way back riding the hills pre
> proper pinned pedals.
> >>
> > A question does arise, Catrike: Can you ride a recliner with block pedals?
> Not unless has clip ie to hold the shoe to the pedal, he has said of the
> dangers if your foot slips off.
> >>
> > Andre Jute
> > "The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
> > protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
> > Ricart Medina explaining to Enzo Ferrari why he wore such inordinately
> > thick rubber soles.
> >>

> Roger Merman

Hah!. On advice from the group I looked at those V12 pedals the last time I specced a new bike, thirteen or so years ago, and wondered what the pins would do to my shins or calves at the slightest awkward stop -- and went back to my trusted VP-191. I'm happy to hear you confirm I made the right decision. -- AJ

Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

<uaj3mb$1afon$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88075&group=rec.bicycles.tech#88075

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 09:58:24 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:58 UTC

On 8/4/2023 8:51 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 10:56:55 AM UTC+1, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Andre Jute <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I use VP-191 block pedals on all my bikes. They're silky smooth forever,
>>> presumably because the bearings are most effectively sealed. Built-in
>>> reflectors. Their only downside is that they're a bit short for the width
>>> of my size twelves, so that their outside edge falls nearer the middle
>>> than the outside of my footsole. But, since I routinely wear sandals or
>>> shoes with very thick rubber soles, I feel no pain, and just
>>> automatically spec the VP-191 on every new bike. I've recommended them
>>> for yonks and never met anyone who didn't love them once they got used to them.
>> DMR pedals are sealed it’s more the gunk I ride in, though they last good
>> few years, can be rebuilt the bearing though I’ve rarely done so as the
>> pedal is generally fairly done by then anyway.
>>
>> https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Pedals/V12-2/V12
>>
>> Realistically for flat pedal riding ie MTB/Gravel riding I need something
>> which is pinned as even with proper flat shoes with sticky ie soft rubber
>> sole’s you just slide on the pedals particularly when wet, okay around town
>> but even there I prefer having similar pinned pedals as the blocks could
>> slide if suitably wet.
>>
>> They are broadly the type of pedals I used way back riding the hills pre
>> proper pinned pedals.
>>>>
>>> A question does arise, Catrike: Can you ride a recliner with block pedals?
>> Not unless has clip ie to hold the shoe to the pedal, he has said of the
>> dangers if your foot slips off.
>>>>
>>> Andre Jute
>>> "The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
>>> protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
>>> Ricart Medina explaining to Enzo Ferrari why he wore such inordinately
>>> thick rubber soles.
>>>>

>> Roger Merman
>>
> Hah!. On advice from the group I looked at those V12 pedals the last time I specced a new bike, thirteen or so years ago, and wondered what the pins would do to my shins or calves at the slightest awkward stop -- and went back to my trusted VP-191. I'm happy to hear you confirm I made the right decision. -- AJ

The pins are not a problem with a recumbent tricycle. Once
your foot slides off the pedal, the pavement just snaps
your ankle, far from those dangerous pins.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

<Yn8zM.307647$aWW4.169416@fx09.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88076&group=rec.bicycles.tech#88076

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 15:00:08 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:00 UTC

Andre Jute <fiultra1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 10:56:55 AM UTC+1, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Andre Jute <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I use VP-191 block pedals on all my bikes. They're silky smooth forever,
>>> presumably because the bearings are most effectively sealed. Built-in
>>> reflectors. Their only downside is that they're a bit short for the width
>>> of my size twelves, so that their outside edge falls nearer the middle
>>> than the outside of my footsole. But, since I routinely wear sandals or
>>> shoes with very thick rubber soles, I feel no pain, and just
>>> automatically spec the VP-191 on every new bike. I've recommended them
>>> for yonks and never met anyone who didn't love them once they got used to them.
>> DMR pedals are sealed it’s more the gunk I ride in, though they last good
>> few years, can be rebuilt the bearing though I’ve rarely done so as the
>> pedal is generally fairly done by then anyway.
>>
>> https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Pedals/V12-2/V12
>>
>> Realistically for flat pedal riding ie MTB/Gravel riding I need something
>> which is pinned as even with proper flat shoes with sticky ie soft rubber
>> sole’s you just slide on the pedals particularly when wet, okay around town
>> but even there I prefer having similar pinned pedals as the blocks could
>> slide if suitably wet.
>>
>> They are broadly the type of pedals I used way back riding the hills pre
>> proper pinned pedals.
>>>>
>>> A question does arise, Catrike: Can you ride a recliner with block pedals?
>> Not unless has clip ie to hold the shoe to the pedal, he has said of the
>> dangers if your foot slips off.
>>>>
>>> Andre Jute
>>> "The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
>>> protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
>>> Ricart Medina explaining to Enzo Ferrari why he wore such inordinately
>>> thick rubber soles.
>>>>

>> Roger Merman
>>
> Hah!. On advice from the group I looked at those V12 pedals the last time
> I specced a new bike, thirteen or so years ago, and wondered what the
> pins would do to my shins or calves at the slightest awkward stop -- and
> went back to my trusted VP-191. I'm happy to hear you confirm I made the
> right decision. -- AJ

You don’t slide at all with V12 at all clearly if you did they will well
rip skin…

But the pins are intended to grip shoes and stuff like five-tens are
designed to stick to well pedals, which also are concave so your shoe will
naturally sit in that.

So the pedal/shoe are not going anywhere, in general you have to lift than
slide the shoes, as they will not freely slide across the pedal.

Which is why I use them even on the commute bike though the smaller less
grippy V8 version as even in the wettest day I’m not slipping on the pedals
which I found block and road type flats to be prone to, hence the move to
clipless on the road market what 80%?

Where as on MTB side it’s probably 60/40 or so? Clipless/flats more
technical type of riding more likely to be flats more XC more clipless.

In the middle ie trail type MTB clipless gives a locked in feeling, flats
more “Yoda feel the force” ie less performance more preference.

Roger Merriman

Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

<0ciqci1qp7boesrlojltk2rinojh07pi3k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88094&group=rec.bicycles.tech#88094

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 14:55:04 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:55 UTC

+1

Re: New pedals, both Catrikes

<00b48540-27c2-47c8-97f5-21065d368b5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=88095&group=rec.bicycles.tech#88095

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 11:56:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:56 UTC

On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 3:58:24 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/4/2023 8:51 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

> >> DMR pedals are sealed it’s more the gunk I ride in, though they last good
> >> few years, can be rebuilt the bearing though I’ve rarely done so as the
> >> pedal is generally fairly done by then anyway.
> >>
> >> https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Pedals/V12-2/V12
> >>
> >> Realistically for flat pedal riding ie MTB/Gravel riding I need something
> >> which is pinned as even with proper flat shoes with sticky ie soft rubber
> >> sole’s you just slide on the pedals particularly when wet, okay around town
> >> but even there I prefer having similar pinned pedals as the blocks could
> >> slide if suitably wet.
> >>
> >> They are broadly the type of pedals I used way back riding the hills pre
> >> proper pinned pedals.

> >> Not unless has clip ie to hold the shoe to the pedal, he has said of the
> >> dangers if your foot slips off.

> >> Roger Merman
> >>
> > Hah!. On advice from the group I looked at those V12 pedals the last time I specced a new bike, thirteen or so years ago, and wondered what the pins would do to my shins or calves at the slightest awkward stop -- and went back to my trusted VP-191. I'm happy to hear you confirm I made the right decision. -- AJ
> >>
> The pins are not a problem with a recumbent tricycle. Once
> your foot slides off the pedal, the pavement just snaps
> your ankle, far from those dangerous pins.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I know, thanks Andrew. Roger and I were already off on a different subject, pedals for upright bikes. -- AJ