Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. -- Linus Torvalds

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
`* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
 `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
  `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
   `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    +* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    |`* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    | `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    |  `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    |   `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    |    `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    |     `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    |      `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    |       `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    |        `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Kimberly Richards
    |         `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
    |          `- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
    `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Jasen Betts
     `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
      +- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?John S
      +- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
      `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Jasen Betts
       +* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
       |`- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
       `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
        `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Jasen Betts
         `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
          `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Jasen Betts
           +- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
           `- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C

Pages:12
Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<254fbed9-ba2b-4016-8d21-cc126209080bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90523&group=sci.electronics.design#90523

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:37:43 -0800 (PST)
<l0gm0h1cqbuhgf0ff6hhmjn1k5efpuogl3@4ax.com> <op.1hmdr4aomvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<604cb04c-485c-448e-bd4e-0681c990253en@googlegroups.com> <op.1hn8nmtnmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<36d8677d-402d-4f98-a317-8ca7e7a5039bn@googlegroups.com> <op.1hpw66xqmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<41755b66-4d0f-4852-be45-8df02f427f91n@googlegroups.com> <op.1hqa76rlmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<a4d1debb-55dd-4b47-95f5-9d6eb51e5296n@googlegroups.com> <op.1hrx0rrvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<6921b017-23fd-428b-a91e-f147209b5508n@googlegroups.com> <op.1hsoq9tpmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<a389fead-4041-4395-bebd-a477436cb981n@googlegroups.com> <op.1huo7ikmmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<325a2d9f-5101-4df3-83a9-64dd396d9564n@googlegroups.com> <op.1huxtigdmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<op.1huxwy1pa8rv5y@ryzen.lan>
Subject: Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:37 UTC

On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 4:57:01 PM UTC-5, Kimberly Richards wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:54:44 -0000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> Complete rubbish. I have several houses, all with GFCI and none have it in the circuit breaker panels. GFCI outlets can protect the entire string of outlets.
> >>
> >> https://www.google.com/search?q=GFCI+outlets
> >
> > Just because you're too stupid to install it in the fusebox doesn't mean they don't exist. The entire UK has one of these (apart from houses like mine which have fuses):
> > https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ZJIQhmgWwwoj/2p-25A-30mA-Hyundai-RCCB-Residual-Current-Circuit-Breaker-ELCB.jpg
> > Protects against overcurrent and earth leakage.
> >
> > Perhaps the USA is behind the times, perhaps you don't realise there are countries, better countries, outside of yours.

> >> Unfortunately...
> >
> > It proves it's not dangerous.

> >> Certainly they shriek at an attempt to communicate with you.
> >
> > They shriek at everything.
> >
> >> I'm done here. It is seldom that even in s.e.d anyone appears to be as willfully ignorant as you.
> >
> > Then why the fuck did you reply? That's utterly childish, replying THEN killfiling me. No doubt you've got one of those shit killfiles that doesn't block responses to me, so you'll read this when someone else replies.
> Like me.

That shows how stupid he is. I never said anything about kill filing him. I just said I won't be responding to him. He has to be one of the most stupid people here and that includes the likes of DLUNU and Cursitor Dumb.

--

Rick C.

+-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<op.1hu373n6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90529&group=sci.electronics.design#90529

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:13:05 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:13 UTC

On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:37:43 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 4:57:01 PM UTC-5, Kimberly Richards wrote:

>> > Just because you're too stupid to install it in the fusebox doesn't mean they don't exist. The entire UK has one of these (apart from houses like mine which have fuses):
>> > https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ZJIQhmgWwwoj/2p-25A-30mA-Hyundai-RCCB-Residual-Current-Circuit-Breaker-ELCB.jpg
>> > Protects against overcurrent and earth leakage.
>> >
>> > Perhaps the USA is behind the times, perhaps you don't realise there are countries, better countries, outside of yours.

>> > It proves it's not dangerous.

>> > They shriek at everything.

>> > Then why the fuck did you reply? That's utterly childish, replying THEN killfiling me. No doubt you've got one of those shit killfiles that doesn't block responses to me, so you'll read this when someone else replies.
>> Like me.
>
> That shows how stupid he is. I never said anything about kill filing him. I just said I won't be responding to him. He has to be one of the most stupid people here and that includes the likes of DLUNU and Cursitor Dumb.

Why are you referring to me in the third person?

If you don't use a killfile to get rid of people you don't like, you're an idiot.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<suv2ak$t3c$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90641&group=sci.electronics.design#90641

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
<suldd8$aaa$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>
<14f4aa2b-8eee-40fe-98b2-3eb9faf45e65n@googlegroups.com>
<suo2hf$mdf$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org> <op.1hsov9tumvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<suoubv$tu9$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org> <op.1hupdxgsmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:52:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:52 UTC

On 2022-02-19, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:08:31 -0000, Jasen Betts <usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org> wrote:

>>> A phone battery is 4V. 15 W would be charging it at 4A, you'd get an explosion.
>>
>> the phone "charger" label says 15W but when I measured it was closer to 13w, I guess
>> that's why it hasn't exploded yet.
>
> Even my high spec 18650 cells recommend charging at 1.5A. And those aren't enclosed in a phone.

Well it's a fast charger. so it charges at about 1C (which seems to
also be the fast-charge rate for lithium ion)

>>> It doesn't save money. I bought Cree (shittest company ever) bulbs, they lasted 1 month due to getting so fucking hot they couldn't be touched comfortably for even half a second. I sent them back 5 times, costing them a fortune.
>>
>> Saves the manufacturer money. they can achieve brihtness while using
>> less material, also they can sell more if they don't last too long.
>
> They won't sell more. They either get them returned costing them
> money, or the customer never uses that brand again.

Maybe if the customer can remember when they purchased the lamp,
and notices the gradual dimming. pretty much the only place that has
high efficiency LED lamps is Dubai.

--
Jasen.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<op.1hxc1gjimvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90646&group=sci.electronics.design#90646

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 05:18:42 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 05:18 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:52:52 -0000, Jasen Betts <usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2022-02-19, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> the phone "charger" label says 15W but when I measured it was closer to 13w, I guess
>>> that's why it hasn't exploded yet.
>>
>> Even my high spec 18650 cells recommend charging at 1.5A. And those aren't enclosed in a phone.
>
> Well it's a fast charger. so it charges at about 1C (which seems to
> also be the fast-charge rate for lithium ion)

Ah ok, mine were 1/2C, Panasonic so I assumed the best.

It's really hard to get 18650 in the UK. Ebay banned them (but not other Li Ion sizes!) and I could only find 1 other place that sold them, and three others at triple price! The place I got the tabbed ones from had a notice saying "Samsung has publicly denounced the selling of tagged batteries to end users", but they sold me them anyway. Do Samsung think we're idiots? The batteries even have on the side "this must not be installed or used by a customer". Er mustn't be used?!

>>> Saves the manufacturer money. they can achieve brihtness while using
>>> less material, also they can sell more if they don't last too long.
>>
>> They won't sell more. They either get them returned costing them
>> money, or the customer never uses that brand again.
>
> Maybe if the customer can remember when they purchased the lamp,
> and notices the gradual dimming. pretty much the only place that has
> high efficiency LED lamps is Dubai.

LED don't gradually dim, they just go off.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<58751f3f-803f-4b81-8a5a-15700bff32d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90647&group=sci.electronics.design#90647

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:57:59 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 05:57 UTC

On Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 11:01:00 PM UTC-5, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2022-02-19, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > Even my high spec 18650 cells recommend charging at 1.5A. And those aren't enclosed in a phone.
> Well it's a fast charger. so it charges at about 1C (which seems to
> also be the fast-charge rate for lithium ion)

For small devices they aren't going to spend too much effort on designing the charger. With lithium-ion batteries you can charge at faster rates if you tailor the rate to the state of charge during the charging process. With EVs they put a lot more effort into the design of the battery management system. There they tailor the charging rate to the temperature and the state of charge so the battery charge rate balances time to charge with battery life under all conditions. My car can reach 1.5C charging rate and other Tesla models reach 3C.