Peace was the way. -- Kirk, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate unknown

tech / sci.math / Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
`* Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
 `* Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
  `* Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
   `* Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
    `* Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrueolcott
     `* Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]olcott
      `* Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]olcott
       `- Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]olcott

1
Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue ]

<pZWdnXAO5doYdL7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92978&group=sci.math#92978

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 16:51:47 -0600
Subject: Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue
]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<pdGdnWlbDpJXS7__nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <svum9l$e6o$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<I9KdnbrPfLYpQr__nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <svundd$oeq$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<2cadnc2KA8fxfL__nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<5wHUJ.56110$oF2.48027@fx10.iad>
<y7WdnbhMoOQwLL7_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<vTOUJ.46260$8V_7.12828@fx04.iad> <t00j9r$9b7$1@dont-email.me>
<_LQUJ.82374$%uX7.524@fx38.iad>
<oLadnft5oPMjR77_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zmRUJ.138041$SeK9.5501@fx97.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:51 UTC

On 3/5/2022 4:20 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So, how do you PROVE that this holds for ALL even numbers? Remember,
>>> THAT is the conjecture, not that it works for 'lots' of values.
>>>
>>> The fact that we haven't found an exception, doesn't mean that an
>>> exception doesn't exist, just that we haven't found it yet.
>>>
>>> Until you show you can test EVERY even number, you can't use that as
>>> your proof, and so your method has failed to actually prove it.

>>> WRONG
>>>
>>> Goldbach conjecture MUST be either True or it is FALSE.
>> Unless there exists a proof that each (even whole number greater than
>> 2) meets the Goldbach criteria it is not true. If even one of these
>> proofs does not exist then it is not true.
>>
>> True cannot possibly exist apart from provable.
>>

> WRONG.
>
> IT is an EMPRICAL FACT, that the Goldbach conjecture must be either true
> of false.

It is an analytical fact not an empirical fact.

If there exists a single (even whole number greater than 2) that cannot
possibly be proved to meet the Goldbach criteria then the Goldbach
conjecture is not true.

Otherwise every (even whole number greater than 2) can be proved to meet
the Goldbach criteria, thus True depends on Provable.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue ]

<h7CdnSFK8Z7Tcr7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92979&group=sci.math#92979

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 17:16:28 -0600
]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<Q4SUJ.98728$aT3.17844@fx09.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 23:16 UTC

On 3/5/2022 5:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> WRONG.
>>>
>>> IT is an EMPRICAL FACT, that the Goldbach conjecture must be either
>>> true of false.
>>>

>> It is an analytical fact not an empirical fact.
>>
>> If there exists a single (even whole number greater than 2) that
>> cannot possibly be proved to meet the Goldbach criteria then the
>> Goldbach conjecture is not true.
>>
>> Otherwise every (even whole number greater than 2) can be proved to
>> meet the Goldbach criteria, thus True depends on Provable.
>>

> Right, if one exception exists, the conjecture is not true, but false.
>
> We do not have, and may never have, a proof that no such exception exists.
>
> Thus, by your definition, YOU can not treat the 'Truth' of the
> conjecture as a Truth Bearer, because you don't KNOW if it is actually
> provable, let alone if it is provably true.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Godel's function. [ Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue ]

<-ZmdnTx3u9TuYb7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92981&group=sci.math#92981

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 18:12:33 -0600
]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<ZtSUJ.97801$Gojc.9074@fx99.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 00:12 UTC

On 3/5/2022 5:36 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Right, if one exception exists, the conjecture is not true, but false.
>>>
>>> We do not have, and may never have, a proof that no such exception
>>> exists.
>>>
>>> Thus, by your definition, YOU can not treat the 'Truth' of the
>>> conjecture as a Truth Bearer, because you don't KNOW if it is
>>> actually provable, let alone if it is provably true.
>>>

>> Unless every element of the set of (even whole number greater than 2)
>> provably meets the Goldbach criteria, the Goldbach conjecture is not
>> true, thus proving that its truth depends on its provability.
>>

> WRONG.
>
> Repeating your statement doesn't make it True.
>
> I will now DEMAND that you PROVE your statement or be able to just claim
> you are are liar and a Hypocrite.

Click here to read the complete article
Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue

<cfmdnfNWW-77lbn_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92984&group=sci.math#92984

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:03:32 -0600
Subject: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<pvTUJ.83095$%uX7.28307@fx38.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 01:03 UTC

On 3/5/2022 6:46 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> WRONG.
>>>
>>> Repeating your statement doesn't make it True.
>>>
>>> I will now DEMAND that you PROVE your statement or be able to just
>>> claim you are are liar and a Hypocrite.
>>
>>  >>>> If there exists a single (even whole number greater than 2) that
>>  >>>> cannot possibly be proved to meet the Goldbach criteria then the
>>  >>>> Goldbach conjecture is not true.
>>
>> If >= 1 element is not provable then false entails
>> < 1 elements are not provable entails
>> all elements are provable.
>
> You aren't making sense, because you don't understand the difference
> between True and Provable.
>
> Yes, If we can show >= 1 numbers that fail the requirements we have
> proven that the conjecture is False.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue

<_b-dnT05GcHGjbn_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92986&group=sci.math#92986

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:37:29 -0600
Subject: Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<D3UUJ.73921$41E7.69136@fx37.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 01:37 UTC

On 3/5/2022 7:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You aren't making sense, because you don't understand the difference
>>> between True and Provable.
>>>
>>> Yes, If we can show >= 1 numbers that fail the requirements we have
>>> proven that the conjecture is False.
>>
>> If a proof exists (even if we never know it) that >= 1 numbers that
>> fail the requirements then it is false (even if we never know it).
>>
>> Only if no proof exists (even if we never know it) that fail the
>> requirements then it is true.
>>
>> This is simply other other way of saying that unless every element of
>> the set can be proven to meet the requirements (even if we never know
>> it) then the conjecture is False.
>>

> You just don't understand about infinitie sets do you. You are not
> guarenteed to be able to make a finite proof that all of an infinite set
> meets the requirements.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue

<2JqdnRqmHPNkg7n_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92988&group=sci.math#92988

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:39:51 -0600
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<AxUUJ.32766$LN2.14744@fx13.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 02:39 UTC

On 3/5/2022 7:56 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You just don't understand about infinitie sets do you. You are not
>>> guarenteed to be able to make a finite proof that all of an infinite
>>> set meets the requirements.
>>>

>> If there is a single element of the set of (even whole numbers greater
>> than 2) that cannot be proven to meet the requirements then the
>> Goldbach conjecture fails

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]

<OdOdncL9M-aTt7n_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92996&group=sci.math#92996

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 21:27:07 -0600
Subject: Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<CBVUJ.40399$Wwf9.6625@fx23.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 03:27 UTC

On 3/5/2022 9:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>> where A is (even whole numbers greater than 2)
>> and P is Provably meets Goldbach criteria
>> ¬Goldbach ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x).

>>> You still don't get it, do you.
>>
>> You are the one that fails to understand how existential
>> quantification is translated into universal quantification.
>>
>> https://sites.math.washington.edu/~aloveles/Math300Winter2011/m300Quantifiers.pdf
>>

>> (1) ¬[∀x ∈ A, P(x)] ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x). // from the link
>>
>> where A is (even whole numbers greater than 2)
>> and P is Provably meets Goldbach criteria
>>
>> negate both sides of (1)
>> ∀x ∈ A, P(x) ⇔ ¬∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x).
>>
>> Goldbach ⇔ every element of (even whole numbers greater than 2)
>> Provably meets Goldbach criteria.
>>
>> is a correct transformation of: ¬Goldbach ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x).
>>

> And where do you get PROVABLE form any of that.
>
> You still have to PROVE an attribute for every member of the infinite
> set of Evens.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]

<v5mdnRIczuMJr7n_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=92999&group=sci.math#92999

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:03:30 -0600
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<KiWUJ.40403$Wwf9.35186@fx23.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 04:03 UTC

On 3/5/2022 9:57 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> And where do you get PROVABLE form any of that.
>>>
>>> You still have to PROVE an attribute for every member of the infinite
>>> set of Evens.
>>>

>> Like I said you simply do not understand existential and universal
>> quantification well enough to translate between them.
>>
>> A is (even whole numbers greater than 2)
>> P is Provably meets Goldbach criteria

>>  > On 3/5/22 5:51 PM, olcott wrote:
>>  >> If there exists a single (even whole number greater than 2) that
>>  >> cannot possibly be proved to meet the Goldbach criteria then the
>>  >> Goldbach conjecture is not true.
>>  >
>>  > Right, if one exception exists, the conjecture is not true, but false.
>>
>> My above paragraph translated into math:
>> ¬Goldbach ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x).
>>
>> People that do understand the math of it will be able to transform
>> that into this: Goldbach ⇔ ∀x ∈ A, P(x)
>>

> Which means that Goldbachs can be proven False if there exists a number
> that is even > 2 that doesn't meet the requirement.
>
> FINE.
>
> That means that IF Goldbachs Conjecture is False, that fact will be
> provable.
>
> How do you get to the fact that if it is True, it must be provable,

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Goldbach conjecture is provable or untrue [ quantifiers ]

<Jt6dnU6ijeO9J7n_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93008&group=sci.math#93008

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 07:41:50 -0600
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.math
<sk1VJ.68303$ZmJ7.61583@fx06.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:41 UTC

On 3/6/2022 5:57 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Which means that Goldbachs can be proven False if there exists a
>>> number that is even > 2 that doesn't meet the requirement.
>>>
>>> FINE.
>>>
>>> That means that IF Goldbachs Conjecture is False, that fact will be
>>> provable.
>>>
>>> How do you get to the fact that if it is True, it must be provable,
>>
>> It is simply the translation of the existential quantification:
>> ¬Goldbach ⇔ ∃x ∈ A, ¬P(x)
>>    into universal quantification:
>> Goldbach ⇔ ∀x ∈ A, P(x)
>>

> Which doesn't say what you think it says.

where A is (even whole numbers greater than 2)
and P is Provably meet the Goldbach criteria

Click here to read the complete article