"One lawyer can steal more than a hundred men with guns." -- The Godfather

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Is honey the solution?

SubjectAuthor
* Is honey the solution?Jan Panteltje
+* Re: Is honey the solution?Ricky
|`- Re: Is honey the solution?Sjouke Burry
+* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|`* Re: Is honey the solution?jlarkin
| `* Re: Is honey the solution?Ricky
|  `* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|   `* Re: Is honey the solution?John Larkin
|    +* Re: Is honey the solution?Tom Gardner
|    |`* Re: Is honey the solution?John Larkin
|    | +* Re: Is honey the solution?Tom Gardner
|    | |+- Re: Is honey the solution?John Larkin
|    | |`- Re: Is honey the solution?Ricky
|    | `* Re: Is honey the solution?Ricky
|    |  `* Re: Is honey the solution?Tom Gardner
|    |   `- Re: Is honey the solution?Ricky
|    +- Re: Is honey the solution?Clifford Heath
|    `* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|     +* Re: Is honey the solution?jlarkin
|     |`* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|     | `* Re: Is honey the solution?jlarkin
|     |  `* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|     |   `* Re: Is honey the solution?jlarkin
|     |    `- Re: Is honey the solution?Clifford Heath
|     `* Re: Is honey the solution?Phil Hobbs
|      `* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|       +* Re: Is honey the solution?Phil Hobbs
|       |`* Re: Is honey the solution?Martin Brown
|       | `- Re: Is honey the solution?Phil Hobbs
|       `- Re: Is honey the solution?Phil Hobbs
`- Re: Is honey the solution?jlarkin

Pages:12
Re: Is honey the solution?

<646ac180-dadb-425e-80d0-3cee6d5d7288n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94138&group=sci.electronics.design#94138

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Is honey the solution?
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:38 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 3:26:25 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
> On 07/04/22 00:20, Ricky wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 2:40:29 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

> They seem about 4 days late with their April fools joke! OTOH

> And a lot of false dawns too eg. :

> Every bit as bad as her trashy novels.

> >> The only difference between shrimps and prawns is the 1:3 price ratio.
> >>
> >> The $7 a pound shrimps at Safeway are actually pretty good. Probably from
> >> Viet Nam or something.

> >> The bigger they are, the easier to peel and the less flavor.
> >
> > That is simply BS. I cook shrimp all the time and the best shrimp are not
> > frozen, which here typically means gulf shrimp. I've had frozen gulf shrimp
> > and they are not as good. I have never seen any correlation of size to
> > taste. But then I don't buy the super colossal shrimp. I usually throw in
> > the towel at colossal or my favorite is extra jumbo (16/20 cnt).
> >

> >> The ones from the Gulf of Mexico are best. They snack on oil spills and
> >> Mississippi river silt.
> >>
> >> The key to boiled shrimps is Zatarains.
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/ZATARAINS-Shrimp-Liquid-Concentrated-8-Ounce/dp/B088F1XSNX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BBG4026BBKKT&keywords=zatarains+crab+boil&qid=1649270102&sprefix=zata%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-5
> >>

> I actually knew old man Zatarain when I was a kid. Crazy old coot by
> >> then.
> >
> > Boiling shrimp is ok, but grilled with a special seasoning blend is much
> > better. I recently had offers of sex for my shrimp. lol
> >
> > It's kind of funny that Puerto Rico doesn't have much in the way of spicy
> > food. It's actually pretty bland. Lost of plantains.
> >
> Did you bother to read my post?

Weird question to ask. I didn't reply to your post. Was there something in your post that is pertinent to what I wrote?

> How big are /your/ shrimp?

They're not actually "my" shrimp. I just buy them. It's the seasoning mixture that's "mine". I use anything from 30-40 (when sautéing) count to 16-20 count (on the grill) and have tried larger. I find the larger ones taste just fine. The only issue is it's a bit harder to get enough seasoning on them given the large volume vs. surface, and of course, the higher price not to mention it's hard to find shrimp larger than 16 count.

One thing odd about shrimp in Puerto Rico is they are mostly sold in stores in 12 oz bags rather than 1 lb like in the mainland. The exception is in the Walmart owned Amigo supermarkets. Seems they are a mainland "intrusion" into the PR space and sell what they sell elsewhere. It's the only store where I can find my brand of peanut butter and a couple of other things.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Is honey the solution?

<t2ov1a$10bk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94149&group=sci.electronics.design#94149

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:24:57 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 09:24 UTC

On 07/04/2022 22:04, Phil Hobbs wrote:

> BTW, Martin,
>
> Do you have a copy of your PHYS362 notes page handy?  It's nowhere to be
> found on the web, even on archive.org.  I'm going through old sci.optics
> posts for the new book, and IIRC you said it had everything about all
> kinds of dispersive spectrometers.

I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the JMU
astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?

https://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/~dfb/teaching.html#past_years

It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it
quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.

If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of the
date range to look and more importantly the filename!

I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the
moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.

To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video
signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my recent
move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain that.

Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and paranoid.
It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Is honey the solution?

<da512e23-f356-0df9-4edc-c5182095b042@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94166&group=sci.electronics.design#94166

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:00:45 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:00 UTC

Martin Brown wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 22:04, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>
>> BTW, Martin,
>>
>> Do you have a copy of your PHYS362 notes page handy?  It's nowhere to
>> be found on the web, even on archive.org.  I'm going through old
>> sci.optics posts for the new book, and IIRC you said it had everything
>> about all kinds of dispersive spectrometers.
>
> I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the JMU
> astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?
>
> https://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/~dfb/teaching.html#past_years
>
> It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it
> quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.
>
> If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of the
> date range to look and more importantly the filename!
>
> I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the
> moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.
>
> To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video
> signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my recent
> move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain that.
>
> Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and paranoid.
> It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...

I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the
description.

The original sci.optics post is below.

Thanks

Phil

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:28:17 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:28 UTC

On 08/04/2022 15:00, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 07/04/2022 22:04, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, Martin,
>>>
>>> Do you have a copy of your PHYS362 notes page handy?  It's nowhere to
>>> be found on the web, even on archive.org.  I'm going through old
>>> sci.optics posts for the new book, and IIRC you said it had
>>> everything about all kinds of dispersive spectrometers.
>>
>> I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the JMU
>> astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?
>>
>> https://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/~dfb/teaching.html#past_years
>>
>> It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it
>> quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.
>>
>> If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of
>> the date range to look and more importantly the filename!
>>
>> I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the
>> moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.
>>
>> To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video
>> signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my
>> recent move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain
>> that.
>>
>> Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and
>> paranoid. It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...
>>

> I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the
> description.
>
> The original sci.optics post is below.

I'm not sure now but I think the guy who put that page together may have
been David Bersier at Liverpool JMU. Contact details below.

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/staff-profiles/faculty-of-engineering-and-technology/astrophysics-research-institute/david-bersier

If you drop him a line he might be able to help you or point you at
whoever did create that old web page on the various spectroscopy
techniques. His webpage says he taught PHYS362 so there is a chance.

If I do find my copy I'll drop you a line privately, but I'm afraid the
odds are stacked against it if it was a web URL. PDFs I usually download
and keep but I only scrape webpages if I expect to need it again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Is honey the solution?

<0a27852f-5adb-7f2e-e6f0-cfa0698b1d45@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94189&group=sci.electronics.design#94189

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:43:24 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:43 UTC

Martin Brown wrote:
> On 07/04/2022 22:04, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>
>> BTW, Martin,
>>
>> Do you have a copy of your PHYS362 notes page handy?  It's nowhere to
>> be found on the web, even on archive.org.  I'm going through old
>> sci.optics posts for the new book, and IIRC you said it had everything
>> about all kinds of dispersive spectrometers.
>
> I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the JMU
> astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?
>
> https://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/~dfb/teaching.html#past_years
>
> It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it
> quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.
>
> If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of the
> date range to look and more importantly the filename!
>
> I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the
> moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.
>
> To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video
> signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my recent
> move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain that.
>
> Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and paranoid.
> It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...

(Reposted because the first one hasn't shown up)

I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the
description.

The original sci.optics post is below.

Thanks

Phil

> Does anyone know of an very elementary discussion and working
> principles of echelle monochromator as a review article/ website as
> how the order sorter works and how the spectrum is obtained in a two
> dimensional way. I have a chemistry background, most websites are
> either too technical company advertisments. Google images for a simple
> diagram of an echelle monochromator, leads to mostly astronomy
> webpages. I am interested in its applications in atomic spectroscopic
> analysis.

The working principles are the same. And astronomers are in effect
using it to study amonst other things chemistry in molecular clouds by
spectroscopy. You have a bit more signal and don't have to hang the
thing on a telescope.

A bit scrappy in style but a webpage covering almost all the ways of
splitting and resolving wavelengths is below. Echelle monochromators
and Fabry-Perot interferometers are well down the page.

http://www.astro.livjm.ac.uk/courses/phys362/notes/index.html

BTW Did you really mean "too technical company advertisments" isn't
there an "or" to go in there somewhere?
Most company advertisments make grandiose claims for their magical kit
and gloss over all the detail.

Regards,
Martin Brown

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Is honey the solution?

<bb6b08f9-2a4f-a0a4-f430-94b23e974f54@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94197&group=sci.electronics.design#94197

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:16:53 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:16 UTC

Martin Brown wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 15:00, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> Martin Brown wrote:

>>> I can't find my own old post about this but I suspect you mean the
>>> JMU astronomy instrumentation course PHYS362. This one?
>>>
>>> https://www.astro.ljmu.ac.uk/~dfb/teaching.html#past_years
>>>
>>> It must be a decade or so since I wrote about that. If you need it
>>> quickly you are best off asking the lecturer who wrote it. Link above.
>>>
>>> If you can point me at my own Usenet post it will give me an idea of
>>> the date range to look and more importantly the filename!
>>>
>>> I might have a copy squirrelled away on my (N-3)rd desktop but at the
>>> moment it is doing a good impression of a Norwegian blue parrot.
>>>
>>> To be fair there are no warning beeps on boot but it outputs no video
>>> signal at all and refuses to connect to the network. However, my
>>> recent move to FTTP and new router on a different subnet may explain
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Firewall running on the old XP machine is very aggressive and
>>> paranoid. It hasn't been switched on for a couple of years now...
>>>

>> I looked on ljmu.ac.uk, but there wasn't anything resembling the
>> description.
>>
>> The original sci.optics post is below.
>
> I'm not sure now but I think the guy who put that page together may have
> been David Bersier at Liverpool JMU. Contact details below.
>
> https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/staff-profiles/faculty-of-engineering-and-technology/astrophysics-research-institute/david-bersier
>

> If you drop him a line he might be able to help you or point you at
> whoever did create that old web page on the various spectroscopy
> techniques. His webpage says he taught PHYS362 so there is a chance.
>
> If I do find my copy I'll drop you a line privately, but I'm afraid the
> odds are stacked against it if it was a web URL. PDFs I usually download
> and keep but I only scrape webpages if I expect to need it again.

Shall do, thanks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--