What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind. -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

SubjectAuthor
* To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleAndre Jute
+- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleNFN Smith
+- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleTom Kunich
> [...]
|   |  |+- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Googlesms
|   |  |`* Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleJohn B.
|   |  | +- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleZen Cycle
|   |  | `* Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleZen Cycle
|   |  |  `* Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleAndre Jute
|   |  |   `- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleZen Cycle
|   |  `- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleFrank Krygowski
|   `* Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleTom Kunich
|    `- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleZen Cycle
`- Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of GoogleAMuzi

Pages:123
Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<un8v33$57af$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98518&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98518

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 08:09:55 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:09 UTC

On 1/4/2024 8:00 PM, John B. wrote:

> An interesting question is how would tommy, living in a cruddy part of
> a small California town (pop - 19,000) discover what a bloke in the
> N.E. corner of Massachusetts is doing?
>
> Does he, in the dark of the moon, creep up on the roof of his garage,
> flap - his wings a fly away off to the East coast? Or perhaps he is
> jet powered? After a supper of beans and beer, up on the roof, pants
> down, bend over and Bbbraaaaappppp, he blasts off, leaving a brown
> streak all the way to Massachusetts.

_Now_ you're singing my tune!

Why, is Tommy our very own Studebaker Hoch?!?!

https://youtu.be/4XsuYMtnCKY?si=56q8hStAxvo8ggJP

@ 10:50

Now, some folks say he looked like ZUBIN MEHTA
Still others say bullshit honey, He's just another greasy guy who
happened to be born next to the Frozen Beef Pies at BONEY'S MARKET.
Still others say piss on you, Jack! He's just a crazy Italian who drove
a red car.
You see, Nobody ever really knew for sure, Because STUDEBAKER was so
mysterious...
He was so (He was so, he was so!)
Mysterious!
He was so (He was so, he was so!)
Mysterious!

'Cuz when a person gets to be such a hero, folks, And marvelous beyond
compute,
You can never really tell about a guy like that
Whether he's really a nice person Or if he just smiles a lot
Or if he has a son named "PINOCCHIO", or what?

Some men say he could fly
Some men say he could swim
Others say he could sing like NEIL SEDAKA,
And all the girls in FLUSHING would be amazed of him

@ 15:35

So many rumors have spread about STUDEBAKER HOCH! Consider this rumor
which was published about three weeks ago in ROLLING STONE ("Oh, it's
gotta be true!"): STUDEBAKER HOCH can write the Lord's Prayer on the
head of a pin!

@ 17:00

Boldly springing into action, he phoned his wife (who ran a modeling
school), whereupon he ran around the back of the Broadway at Hollywood
Boulevard and Vine to see if he could find himself some big large,
un-used cardboard boxes; after which, he hit up the RALPH'S on Sunset
for some 'AUNT JEMIMA SYRUP', some 'KAISER BROILER FOIL', and a pair of
blunt scissors! Yes! Yes, and in the parking lot of RALPH'S, (where "no
prices are lower prices than RALPH'S") in between a pair of customized
trucks where nobody was looking, he cut out some really, really, really
nice wings, and he covered them thoroughly with foil! Then he took those
wings and wedged one under each of his powerful arms and sneaked into a
telephone booth. Then he pulled down his blue denim policeman type
trouser pants, and he spread even amounts of AUNT JEMIMA maple syrup all
over the inside of his legs! Soon the booth was filling with flies!
("Help me, help me, help me!") He held open the legs of his boxer shorts
so they could all get in, and when each and every one of those little
cocksuckin' flies had gone into his pants, and they were lapping up all
that maple syrup, he bent over and he put his head between his legs and
he said in a very clear, impressive, RON HUBBARD-type voice: "NEW YORK!"
And the booth and everything lifted up, out of the parking lot, and into
the sky!

(Libretto courtesy of Zappa Wiki
(https://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Billy_The_Mountain))

> Ridiculous? Certainly. Just as are tommy's posts.

Which are certainly more ridiculous than a Frank Zappa Musical vignette.

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<4b3c2b6c-f13c-4a0a-b6ac-9a40c72964d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98520&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98520

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:32:10 -0800 (PST)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:32 UTC

On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 1:09:59 PM UTC, Zen Cycle wrote:
> [...]
> trouser pants, and he spread even amounts of AUNT JEMIMA maple syrup all
> over the inside of his legs! Soon the booth was filling with flies!
> ("Help me, help me, help me!") He held open the legs of his boxer shorts
> so they could all get in, and when each and every one of those little
> cocksuckin' flies had gone into his pants, and they were lapping up all
> that maple syrup, he bent over and he put his head between his legs and
> he said in a very clear, impressive, RON HUBBARD-type voice: "NEW YORK!"
> And the booth and everything lifted up, out of the parking lot, and into
> the sky!
>
> (Libretto courtesy of Zappa Wiki
> (https://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Billy_The_Mountain))
> > Ridiculous? Certainly. Just as are tommy's posts.
> Which are certainly more ridiculous than a Frank Zappa Musical vignette.

Don't give up your day job to become a comedian. I'd say you're tenth rate, but that would be an insult to the merely tenth-rate.

Unsigned out of contempt/

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<un980h$57af$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98521&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98521

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:42:09 -0500
<un52vg$3csn2$2@dont-email.me> <un57vf$3hjfl$2@dont-email.me>
<c8e42936-0a3a-47fa-b967-4e2d4cb0ca51n@googlegroups.com>
<f3709e05-1a6d-49eb-a3b0-d33035fead58n@googlegroups.com>
<un7dtf$3qhl0$1@dont-email.me> <cajepi92ii0fcmet6befq37lnsjdijqd96@4ax.com>
<un8v33$57af$3@dont-email.me>
<4b3c2b6c-f13c-4a0a-b6ac-9a40c72964d4n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:42 UTC

On 1/5/2024 10:32 AM, shitstain embarrassed itself once again:
> On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 1:09:59 PM UTC, Zen Cycle wrote:
>>
>> Why, is Tommy our very own Studebaker Hoch?!?!
>>
>> https://youtu.be/4XsuYMtnCKY?si=56q8hStAxvo8ggJP

<snip>

>> (Libretto courtesy of Zappa Wiki
>> (https://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Billy_The_Mountain))
>>> Ridiculous? Certainly. Just as are tommy's posts.
>> Which are certainly more ridiculous than a Frank Zappa Musical vignette.
>>
> Don't give up your day job to become a comedian. I'd say you're tenth rate, but that would be an insult to the merely tenth-rate.

read the snipped version above, shitstain. I didn't compose any of that,
and gave appropriate links and attribution. It was considerably more
entertaining and provocative than anything you've ever 'contributed'
anywhere.

> Unsigned out of contempt/

More likely out of embarrassment to admit you made such a stupid
mistake. Not to worry, we're use to stupid mistakes and lies from you on
a regular basis.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<Q0XlN.531613$%q2.353771@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98526&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98526

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 17:30:24 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:30 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 2:53 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 02:42:59 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
>> <fiultra1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I decided that Google bugging out of the Usenet is a good time for me
>>> to bugger off too, so I didn't look any further than finding the link
>>> to Eternal September.
>>
>> That seems to be a contradiction. You confirm that Google is leaving
>> Usenet, which is quite true. Then, you announce that this is a good
>> time for you to "bugger off" which I presume means that you plan to
>> also leave Usenet. Lastly, you indicated that your nearsighted vision
>> led you to Eternal-September to do something unspecified. The
>> shopping list of available Usenet newsgroups which you'll find on
>> Eternal September is a sub-set of what you can still find on Google
>> Groups. Private Google newsgroups and some company forums will likely
>> disappear on Feb 24. However, the major groups, including RBT and
>> most of the ALT groups, which are currently found on Google Groups,
>> will also be found on Eternal-September.
>>
>> I don't know how far back Eternal-September stores articles. For RBT,
>> Google was able to produce Tom's articles back to 1992. That's 32
>> years (or more) of retention. I couldn't find exactly how long
>> Eternal-September saves old articles, but it's likely to be much less
>> than 32 years. If I was doing "research" in RBT, Eternal-September
>> would not be a good solution. Iweeka claims to have the best
>> retention at 5,600 days (15.3 years),
>> <https://www.eweka.nl/en>
>> which doesn't come close to Google's retention. As long as Google
>> Groups remains online and active, it can still be used for reading old
>> articles and "research". However, if and when the Google Usenet
>> archive disappears, all the old articles might disappear with Google.
>>
>> So, are you really abandoning Usenet?
>>

>> " I don't know how far back Eternal-September stores articles. "
>
> I didn't know either.
>
> Two years:
> https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

Mine is 15 years apparently, can’t say I’ve ever looked for a post that
old! But it doesn’t have off days or missing posts like Eternal September
which is why I use it.

https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/easynews-review.html

Roger Merriman

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<7cihpitn90kil5d0sapukdrcihism8692n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98540&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98540

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 19:52:46 -0800
References: <un4ai0$37eq2$5@dont-email.me> <864f26b7-5210-473d-96e7-522281fd90f7n@googlegroups.com> <un52vg$3csn2$2@dont-email.me> <un57vf$3hjfl$2@dont-email.me> <c8e42936-0a3a-47fa-b967-4e2d4cb0ca51n@googlegroups.com> <un6d5c$37eq2$10@dont-email.me> <f33b124b-1631-4646-92f3-69422c705c75n@googlegroups.com> <un6ib1$3m2je$1@dont-email.me> <un6jcs$3moke$2@dont-email.me> <nm1epit3oghsele37eigmj1v5a7rrqok2i@4ax.com> <orgepi17d8ncdn3kaj1if22nd0pov2uajg@4ax.com>
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 03:52 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 18:48:53 -0500, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>It took me a year before I could stand to be out in the sunlight
>without sun glasses. Good luck with the other eye.

Ouch. That doesn't sound like much fun. 3 days after surgery, it no
longer hurts when I look at bright house lights. However, I haven't
tried full sunlight yet. I live in the deep dark forest which helps.
Double vision and my ability to focus properly are changing (for the
better) which is good. Everything that was giving me problems prior
to surgery is slowly returning to normal. I haven't tried driving or
full sunlight yet. I'll know more in a few days.

"10 Cataract Surgery Side Effects, and How to Cope"
<https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/side-effects-cataract-surgery-complications-cope>
"Light sensitivity after cataract surgery.
Sometimes, you may need to wear sunglasses for a few months until
iritis goes away. Most often it is caused by a "rebound" as you taper
off your anti-inflammatory drops."

Months? Argh.
We'll soon see if my luck holds. Thanks for the warning.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<efnhpidsbc7tvq8fuvlmt12qust9g4aphv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98544&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98544

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 21:33:53 -0800
References: <b2fc84a4-d8ce-4f2c-9ec9-2289a9367dfen@googlegroups.com> <df208df7-3341-4671-a5b7-281713658a19n@googlegroups.com> <121775e6-d47a-49cc-ad08-45b6781511d2n@googlegroups.com> <ac4epi1va269f6070972esd03odgnljr98@4ax.com> <un76r4$3por5$3@dont-email.me> <qu8epi9c8tko822667n300ktdrnic81his@4ax.com> <un7b64$3qbuc$1@dont-email.me> <7scepi53sqo5ma1qpatmdjdoh225l96t7l@4ax.com> <un7hid$3r5i9$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 05:33 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:13:01 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/4/2024 2:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
><snip>
>> In RBT, I dig up old postings mostly to embarrass Tom. In other
>> groups, I use it to obtain some historical background on some project.
>> I don't know the frequency of such lookups, but I do know that the
>> archived files will be missed if Google removes them. Maybe if Google
>> gives everything to archive.org? What I won't miss is the marginally
>> useful Google Groups search.

>It is sometimes useful to find old posts. Not sure what your upside is
>is in embarrassing Tom, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Upside? Well, I do derive some sadistic pleasure in denouncing Tom's
lies using evidence extracted from his own RBT postings from the past.
I also derive some educational benefits from the online research
required to demonstrate that Tom is wrong, lying, or both. I've
learned quite a bit about an amazing variety of topics not found in
cycling from this research. Occasionally, I post something about
Tom's motivations, character, integrity, reputation, abilities,
knowledge, history, etc. Mostly, they're psychological studies
comparing the image Tom attempts to project, with the image found in
his past RBT history, and with reality. Much of that was dredged out
of Tom's history on RBT dating back to at least 1992. For example,
Tom claimed to have posted his DOWNHILL speeds on Palomares Road. He
did mention some rides on this road, but they were all UPHILL rides. I
would not have been able to perform this feat of debunkery without
access to the RBT archives.

I don't know why you think this is "like shooting fish in a barrel".
It's not easy finding such information, especially using Google Groups
broken search. I've had to create a collection of quotes and links so
that I could find articles that might be used in the future for
embarrassing Tom. Try finding one of your own postings using Google
Groups search and see if you still think it's easy.

One think nice about reading Tom's amazing claims is that it's
excellent training for chatting with an AI. An AI is not smart or
intelligent. All it does is group words that might be associated with
a few terms found in a question. It doesn't "know" if its answer is
right, wrong, hilarious or stupid. It's like asking an
auto-completion feature in a word processor for an answer when all it
can provide is what typically comes next. Well, that's Tom. I didn't
notice this until now because I was overly concerned whether Tom was
right or wrong. I hadn't considered the possibility that Tom
literally did not care or even notice that he was wrong. It didn't
matter to Tom, so he just continued on like nothing had happened. The
best I could expect was that Tom would abandon or change the topic,
only to have him recycle his mistakes in their original form a week
later. Welcome to CHAT-RBT.

What did I do Friday evenings before I discovered the internet?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: To continue reading RBT use Eternal September instead of Google

<0ebipi9jaup6c17sr7krqo6agv7s8tuvg6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98547&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98547

From: Solo...@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 05:59:09 -0500
References: <864f26b7-5210-473d-96e7-522281fd90f7n@googlegroups.com> <un52vg$3csn2$2@dont-email.me> <un57vf$3hjfl$2@dont-email.me> <c8e42936-0a3a-47fa-b967-4e2d4cb0ca51n@googlegroups.com> <un6d5c$37eq2$10@dont-email.me> <f33b124b-1631-4646-92f3-69422c705c75n@googlegroups.com> <un6ib1$3m2je$1@dont-email.me> <un6jcs$3moke$2@dont-email.me> <nm1epit3oghsele37eigmj1v5a7rrqok2i@4ax.com> <orgepi17d8ncdn3kaj1if22nd0pov2uajg@4ax.com> <7cihpitn90kil5d0sapukdrcihism8692n@4ax.com>
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:59 UTC

On Fri, 05 Jan 2024 19:52:46 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 18:48:53 -0500, Catrike Ryder
><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>
>>It took me a year before I could stand to be out in the sunlight
>>without sun glasses. Good luck with the other eye.
>
>Ouch. That doesn't sound like much fun. 3 days after surgery, it no
>longer hurts when I look at bright house lights. However, I haven't
>tried full sunlight yet. I live in the deep dark forest which helps.
>Double vision and my ability to focus properly are changing (for the
>better) which is good. Everything that was giving me problems prior
>to surgery is slowly returning to normal. I haven't tried driving or
>full sunlight yet. I'll know more in a few days.
>
>"10 Cataract Surgery Side Effects, and How to Cope"
><https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/side-effects-cataract-surgery-complications-cope>
>"Light sensitivity after cataract surgery.
>Sometimes, you may need to wear sunglasses for a few months until
>iritis goes away. Most often it is caused by a "rebound" as you taper
>off your anti-inflammatory drops."
>
>Months? Argh.
>We'll soon see if my luck holds. Thanks for the warning.

A year and a half after my cataract surgery I can tolerate direct
sunlight without sunglasses, but I still prefer sunglasses outdoors,
or when driving. I'm lucky in that I don't need corrective lenses so
drugstore sunglasses are fine for most occasions, although I have
wraparounds for biking.