Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

tech / sci.electronics.design / OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentientJan Panteltje
+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sPhil Allison
|+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sJan Panteltje
||`- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sMartin Brown
|+- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
|`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sRicky
| `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sPhil Allison
+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
|+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJan Panteltje
||`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
|| `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentnone
||  `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJan Panteltje
||   `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
||    `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sJan Panteltje
|`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
| +- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
| +- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
| +* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'scorvid
| |`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
| | +- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentEdward Hernandez
| | `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'scorvid
| |  `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
| |   `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentEdward Hernandez
| `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentnone
|  `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sMartin Brown
|+- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'scorvid
|`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
| `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
+* OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentientJohn Doe
|+- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
|+- OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentientEdward Hernandez
|`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentJohn Doe
| `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentEdward Hernandez
+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentjlarkin
|+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sRichD
||`- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentClifford Heath
|`- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
+- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sWond
+* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
|`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'srbowman
| `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sbitrex
|  `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
`* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
 `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sJan Panteltje
  `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
   `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sJan Panteltje
    `* Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sa a
     `- Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group'sJan Panteltje

Pages:12
OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t898ns$rml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99223&group=sci.electronics.design#99223

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05 UTC

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/

Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<ef405875-8610-4975-9c6f-7720623ad2bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99230&group=sci.electronics.design#99230

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 00:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:35 UTC

Jan Panteltje wrote:
=================

> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>
> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>
> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

** I can very easily imagine a " senior software engineer " thinking a AI program was " sentient" ie, conscious and self aware.

Just take all the trolls here as prime examples .....

...... Phil

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t89dps$q0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99231&group=sci.electronics.design#99231

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:36:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:36 UTC

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/

> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
> 'sentient'
>
> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
> intelligence.

That seems an odd use of "sentient".

Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly 50%
of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around their
algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder than it is
intelligent.

Maybe one can get the hang of it, with the understanding that much of it
is nonsense.

For being a globalist company, seems they are advantaging skilled English
speakers by using such an algorithm. I can't imagine anybody who isn't
fluent in English getting around it.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t89gk0$rdh$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99235&group=sci.electronics.design#99235

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:24:31 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:24 UTC

On 14/06/2022 07:05, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>
> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

It is probably a false dawn for a computer actually being self aware but
it is still doing a damn good impression based on the transcripts
released. The way it behaves is very much like the Hal9000 in 2001.

> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

It has enough data in its system that it might just be emergent sentient
behaviour occurring on an inorganic platform. Time will tell as the
network complexity and power of the computing system it uses increase.

I don't think we are all that far off being able to build sentient
silicon but I had expected it to take about another decade.

But I was truly astonished when alpha-Go beat the human world champion -
no one in the field apart from a handful of Google researchers ever saw
*that* coming. They have achieved something remarkable there...

I'm inclined to view it as wishful thinking by the engineer for now but
if he is right then we will have to modify the rules of ethics to handle
sentient machines. We should be doing that anyway and ideally before we
build the first one that might be capable for true self awareness.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t89ivi$rp0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99238&group=sci.electronics.design#99238

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:00:37 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:00 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:36:28 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe
<always.look@message.header> wrote in <t89dps$q0i$1@dont-email.me>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
>after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>>
>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
>> 'sentient'
>>
>> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
>> intelligence.
>
>That seems an odd use of "sentient".
>
>Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly 50%
>of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around their
>algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder than it is
>intelligent.
>
>Maybe one can get the hang of it, with the understanding that much of it
>is nonsense.
>
>For being a globalist company, seems they are advantaging skilled English
>speakers by using such an algorithm. I can't imagine anybody who isn't
>fluent in English getting around it.

Yea, google.
in one way its the greatest thing, cool for learning and looking up things
But I can no longer log in to my google account..
No idea why, maybe 16 factor authentication.... ;-)
So they basically lost me on youtube and it seems you need to
be logged in to comment so forget about that.
Stupidity to make normal logins impossible
switching without proper explaining to other authentication method
starting one thing and then ditching it again.. same for many of their other projects like
communication drones and what not
As search engine I had to switch to Bing a couple of times as google just thought i knew better what I was looking for by giving all sort of irrelevant links
Maybe they are over the hill?

So as to AI, I have said many times 'even a sunshield with a light sensor is conscious,
'it reacts to light! Ad some speech and it will say why it open and closes.

We can look forward to the first marriage between a computa and a human!!! Maybe they have a different colored flag too!
Endless politics about acceptance of people married to a bot, IVF, kids grown in glass retorts
with metal limbs.. what not

This also brings me to the issue who or what here are chatbots?
Some are obvious like those sponsored by teslala, but some play it really well
I *beep* *beep* I *beep* *beep* I *beep* *beep* am no such rrrrrrrr bo / connection lost

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<abc907b3-4726-4439-895e-94e0a837891cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99240&group=sci.electronics.design#99240

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:47:10 -0700 (PDT)
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:47 UTC

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 11:04:57 UTC+2, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:36:28 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe
> <alway...@message.header> wrote in <t89dps$q0i$1...@dont-email.me>:
> >Jan Panteltje wrote:
> >
> >> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
> >after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
> >>
> >> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
> >> 'sentient'
> >>
> >> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
> >> intelligence.
> >
> >That seems an odd use of "sentient".
> >
> >Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly 50%
> >of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around their
> >algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder than it is
> >intelligent.
> >
> >Maybe one can get the hang of it, with the understanding that much of it
> >is nonsense.
> >
> >For being a globalist company, seems they are advantaging skilled English
> >speakers by using such an algorithm. I can't imagine anybody who isn't
> >fluent in English getting around it.
> Yea, google.
> in one way its the greatest thing, cool for learning and looking up things
> But I can no longer log in to my google account..
> No idea why, maybe 16 factor authentication.... ;-)
> So they basically lost me on youtube and it seems you need to
> be logged in to comment so forget about that.
> Stupidity to make normal logins impossible
> switching without proper explaining to other authentication method
> starting one thing and then ditching it again.. same for many of their other projects like
> communication drones and what not
> As search engine I had to switch to Bing a couple of times as google just thought i knew better what I was looking for by giving all sort of irrelevant links
> Maybe they are over the hill?
>
> So as to AI, I have said many times 'even a sunshield with a light sensor is conscious,
> 'it reacts to light! Ad some speech and it will say why it open and closes.
>
> We can look forward to the first marriage between a computa and a human!!! Maybe they have a different colored flag too!
> Endless politics about acceptance of people married to a bot, IVF, kids grown in glass retorts
> with metal limbs.. what not
>
> This also brings me to the issue who or what here are chatbots?
> Some are obvious like those sponsored by teslala, but some play it really well
> I *beep* *beep* I *beep* *beep* I *beep* *beep* am no such rrrrrrrr bo / connection lost
self-promotion by google

there nis no AI in google, since there is not a single AI researcher, scientist at google's stuff

Just look at Google Maps and Street View
the same old stuff for 15 years, not attracting people
I met Google Street View Driver to discuss the problem, why they did nothing to upgrade once hot feature called Street View.

Google is generally low tech, since best IT experts don't live in US anymore

Life is for real, google is for virtual life

OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<Ta0qK.135408$Q381.46419@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99241&group=sci.electronics.design#99241

Followup: alt.test.group
From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:37:55 GMT
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:37 UTC

Off topic troll...

--
Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 GMT
>
> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>
> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>
> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<2b2f3d65-723a-43f8-88dc-3df367d220d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99243&group=sci.electronics.design#99243

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:01 UTC

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 15:38:05 UTC+2, John Doe wrote:
> Off topic troll...
>
> --
> Jan Panteltje <pNaonSt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > From: Jan Panteltje <pNaonSt...@yahoo.com>
> > Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> > Subject: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> > Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 GMT
> >
> > https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
> >
> > Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> >
> > Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.
Idiot, John Doe
go away, go away

OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<SB0qK.135410$Q381.104204@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99244&group=sci.electronics.design#99244

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:06:42 GMT
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$3@dont-email.me>
(http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=165357273000) posted Thu, 26 May 2022
12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) John Doe stated:

> Always Wrong, the utterly foulmouthed group idiot, adding absolutely
> NOTHING but insults to this thread, as usual...

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe's post ratio to
USENET (**) has been 59.1% of its posts contributing "nothing except
insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Doe has posted at
least 1745 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and
858 have been John Doe "troll format" postings.

The Troll Doe stated the following in message-id
<sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:

> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...

And the Troll Doe stated the following in message-id
<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
> CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:37:55 GMT in
message-id <Ta0qK.135408$Q381.46419@usenetxs.com>.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups
readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow
the rules it uses to troll other posters.

Vcmx9HKLnRPU

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<eo5hahpipqm2l5je4covefnpf8g6n07ko3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99246&group=sci.electronics.design#99246

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 07:12:19 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:12 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>
> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>
> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

It's just a computer program, and the guy is obviously a fruitcake.

--

Anybody can count to one.

- Robert Widlar

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8a8eq$od2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99249&group=sci.electronics.design#99249

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:07:17 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:07 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 00:35:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Phil
Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote in
<ef405875-8610-4975-9c6f-7720623ad2bfn@googlegroups.com>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>=================
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>>
>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>>
>> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.
>>

>** I can very easily imagine a " senior software engineer " thinking a AI program was " sentient" ie, conscious and self
>aware.
>
> Just take all the trolls here as prime examples .....
>

>..... Phil

'conscious and self aware' is easy to do in even a script:
"Hi, I am PC one, our intense discussion did raise my temperature from 46 to 75 degrees Celsius."

Much mysticism is coupled with 'awareness', even an electron is aware: it will move if
it senses some magnetic or electric field.

Religious leaders want to make life a mystery much like in the old world days
-that seem to be returning to the US now- rain-dances ... medicine men controlled the people and kept their power positions
that way.

All matter is conscious.
It will self-assemble and form ever more complex systems.
Been programming big part of the day.. reality is simple.
The step of dropping wrong theories, like for example epicycles for planets moving around the sun,
like dropping a wrong concept for a _MUCH SIMPLER_ reality is what we need.

Awareness is simple!

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8a8j7$l25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99250&group=sci.electronics.design#99250

From: los...@the.ether.net (Wond)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:13:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Wond - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:13 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/

> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
> 'sentient'
>
> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
> intelligence.

Just don't put it on an Earth satellite, OK?

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8a8lu$1mlv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99251&group=sci.electronics.design#99251

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:15:09 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:15 UTC

On 14/06/2022 16:07, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 00:35:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Phil
> Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote in
> <ef405875-8610-4975-9c6f-7720623ad2bfn@googlegroups.com>:
>
>> Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> =================
>>>
>>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>>>
>>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>>>
>>> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.
>>>

>> ** I can very easily imagine a " senior software engineer " thinking a AI program was " sentient" ie, conscious and self
>> aware.
>>
>> Just take all the trolls here as prime examples .....

Certain of them would likely *FAIL* the Turing test.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<cZ1qK.70479$X_i.50293@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99254&group=sci.electronics.design#99254

chatbot is 'sentient'
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:39:51 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:39 UTC

On 6/14/2022 3:35 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
> ** I can very easily imagine a " senior software engineer " thinking a AI program was " sentient" ie, conscious and self aware.
>
> Just take all the trolls here as prime examples .....

"You only have so many slots to build an actual speaker enclosure so
your ears/ears have room to breathe for proper frequency balance. As it
says in their description on the website- 'It took over half a decade of
research for Prof B to devise our product', it's the same thing with the
S5P- its a workhorse, yet for $1200 to $1300 USD with the factory
calibration this thing puts forth that low and steady-ish THD that
really brings home what great performance quality does for this type of
amplifier."

This was largely composed by GPT-2 with some minor editing by myself for
punctuation & grammar:

https://transformer.huggingface.co/doc/distil-gpt2

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<092qK.70480$X_i.51024@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99256&group=sci.electronics.design#99256

chatbot is 'sentient'
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:52:27 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:52 UTC

On 6/14/2022 3:36 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
> after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>>
>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
>> 'sentient'
>>
>> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
>> intelligence.
>
> That seems an odd use of "sentient".
>
> Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly 50%
> of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around their
> algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder than it is
> intelligent.

What makes you think your comments aren't just being deleted by a human?
Many large channels have people who moderate the comment section, and on
many small channels the owner themselves may be wiping comments.

Given the nature of JD's usual trolling here it's hardly surprising that
between AI and human censors pushing 50% of his comments are getting waxed.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<ba9b8609-54fb-4b8a-93b2-18bb0b11a5ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99266&group=sci.electronics.design#99266

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:47 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 3:35:17 AM UTC-4, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Jan Panteltje wrote:
> =================
> >
> > https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
> >
> > Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> >
> > Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.
> >
> ** I can very easily imagine a " senior software engineer " thinking a AI program was " sentient" ie, conscious and self aware.
>
> Just take all the trolls here as prime examples .....
>

> ..... Phil

Yes, Phil. We've all considered you to be a prime example of that! Other than the incessant swearing. Bots tend to be programmed not to do that. But I suppose it's not an essential part of AI.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<92df06b5-029a-4390-b811-97e0cf168f2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99267&group=sci.electronics.design#99267

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:48 UTC

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 17:52:38 UTC+2, bitrex wrote:
> On 6/14/2022 3:36 AM, John Doe wrote:
> > Jan Panteltje wrote:
> >
> >> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
> > after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
> >>
> >> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
> >> 'sentient'
> >>
> >> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial
> >> intelligence.
> >
> > That seems an odd use of "sentient".
> >
> > Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly 50%
> > of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around their
> > algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder than it is
> > intelligent.
> What makes you think your comments aren't just being deleted by a human?
> Many large channels have people who moderate the comment section, and on
> many small channels the owner themselves may be wiping comments.
>
> Given the nature of JD's usual trolling here it's hardly surprising that
> between AI and human censors pushing 50% of his comments are getting waxed.
Google Groups have no moderators

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8afea$t21$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99270&group=sci.electronics.design#99270

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:10:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:10 UTC

bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> Jan Panteltje wrote:

>>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-
after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/

>>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is
>>> 'sentient' Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in
>>> artificial intelligence.
>>
>> That seems an odd use of "sentient".
>>
>> Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring roughly
>> 50% of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get around
>> their algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but it's weirder
>> than it is intelligent.
>
> What makes you think your comments aren't just being deleted by a human?

I'm a scientist. I know better. I use a thing called "deduction".

If the poster had comprehended my earlier post about the subject, it would
know better.

> Many large channels have people who moderate the comment section, and on
> many small channels the owner themselves may be wiping comments.

As I already posted... What made that theory and other such conspiracy
theories obviously wrong is the fact you can repost ANYTHING, no matter
how long, from yourself or another poster and it will make not be shadow
banned.

I posted some examples in the Windows 10 group that sheds some light on
how really weird their algorithm is. Those examples make obvious it's
being done by an algorithm, too.

> Given the nature of JD's usual trolling here

bitrex would be much worse of a troll if it weren't afraid of being
outcast by all the regulars here.

> it's hardly surprising that between AI and human censors pushing 50% of
> his comments are getting waxed.

It's not my comments, troll, it's EVERYBODY'S comments.

As I already explained in the thread about the subject, anybody can tell
that even without looking in a separate browser, just by looking at the
indicator for the number of posts, then expanding the thread to see there
are sometimes even a small fraction of that number of REAL posts
displayed. Sometimes it's much less than 50%.

Besides looking in another browser, another way you can see the
YouTube/Google doing its dirty censorship work is in the drop-down
notification bell on YouTube. You are notified of, and get to see, their
shadow banned post, but when you expand the posts in the thread under the
notification bell, their shadow banned post disappears.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8aff3$t21$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99271&group=sci.electronics.design#99271

Followup: alt.test.group
From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:10:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:10 UTC

Eddie, the Astraweb porn-sucking retarded forger is flagging every off-topic
post with its idiotic spam.

Eddie has never posted anything NORMAL except when it got a spanking...

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.electronics.repair/c/MesPLcGU4BE

See also...
John Doe <always.look_message.header> (Astraweb, Aioe.org)
Peter Weiner <dtgamer99_gmail.com>
Edward H. <dtgamer99_gmail.com>
Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99_gmail.com>

Eddie is an example for all newbies. Don't get spanked!

Spanked Eddie...

--
John Doe <always.look@message.header> wrote:

> From: John Doe <always.look@message.header>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
> Subject: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:37:55 GMT
>
> Off topic troll...
>
> --
> Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> From: Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com>
>> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
>> Subject: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 06:05:41 GMT
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/google-places-engineer-on-leave-after-he-claims-groups-chatbot-is-sentient/
>>
>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>>
>> Blake Lemoine ignites social media debate over advances in artificial intelligence.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<Wp3qK.264877$zJe2.53206@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99274&group=sci.electronics.design#99274

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:18:46 GMT
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:18 UTC

In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$3@dont-email.me>
(http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=165357273000) posted Thu, 26 May 2022
12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe stated:

> Always Wrong, the utterly foulmouthed group idiot, adding absolutely
> NOTHING but insults to this thread, as usual...

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio
to USENET (**) has been 59.0% of its posts contributing "nothing except
insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe has posted at
least 1750 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and
860 have been Troll Doe "troll format" postings.

<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
> CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:10:59 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <t8aff3$t21$4@dont-email.me>.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups
readers who happen by to point out that Troll Doe does not even follow
the rules it uses to troll other posters.

m/cC+4QLP/SJ

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8agij$1fq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99276&group=sci.electronics.design#99276

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:29:54 -0700
 by: corvid - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:29 UTC

On 6/14/22 01:24, Martin Brown wrote:
> I'm inclined to view it as wishful thinking by the engineer for now
> but if he is right then we will have to modify the rules of ethics to
> handle sentient machines.

We'd better be thoughtful, because the machines will establish their own
rules for dealing with us.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8apvj$1q4c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99299&group=sci.electronics.design#99299

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chatbot is 'sentient'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:10:26 -0700
 by: corvid - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:10 UTC

On 6/14/22 08:52, bitrex wrote:
> On 6/14/2022 3:36 AM, John Doe wrote:
>>
>> Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring
>> roughly 50% of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get
>> around their algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but
>> it's weirder than it is intelligent.
>
> What makes you think your comments aren't just being deleted by a
> human? Many large channels have people who moderate the comment
> section, and on many small channels the owner themselves may be
> wiping comments.
>
> Given the nature of JD's usual trolling here it's hardly surprising
> that between AI and human censors pushing 50% of his comments are
> getting waxed.

And he just told us that he can again post YouTube comments at will, his
account had been reinstated.

He might tell us his YouTube handle, point us to some of his comments,
unless he's ashamed to let us see what he does there.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<t8ar82$35r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99300&group=sci.electronics.design#99300

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:32 UTC

This nym-shifting troll makes fun of my Flickr account, stuff I've decided
to share with the public, but here it suggests I should give up more
information, otherwise I am "too ashamed".

Cannibal leftists utterly suck at logic.

see also...
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=b6rvid?= <bl_ckbirds.org>
=?UTF-8?B?8J+QriBDb3dzIGFyZSBOaWNlIPCfkK4=?= <nice_cows.moo>
Banders <snap_mailchute.com>
Covid-19 <always.look_message.header>
corvid <bl_ckb.ird>
Corvid <bl_ckbirds.net>
Corvid <bl_ckbirds.org>
Cows Are Nice <cows_nice.moo>
Cows are nice <moo_cows.org>
Cows are Nice <nice_cows.moo>
dogs <dogs_home.com>
Great Pumpkin <pumpkin_patch.net>
Jose Curvo <jcurvo_mymail.com>
Local Favorite <how2recycle_palomar.info>
Sea <freshness_coast.org>
Standard Poodle <standard_poodle.com>
triangles <build_home.com>
and others...

--
corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote:

> From: corvid <bl@ckb.ird>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:10:26 -0700
>
> On 6/14/22 08:52, bitrex wrote:
>> On 6/14/2022 3:36 AM, John Doe wrote:
>>>
>>> Because I like posting to YouTube. Because they are censoring
>>> roughly 50% of replies, I have been trying to figure out how to get
>>> around their algorithm. They might think it is intelligent, but
>>> it's weirder than it is intelligent.
>>
>> What makes you think your comments aren't just being deleted by a
>> human? Many large channels have people who moderate the comment
>> section, and on many small channels the owner themselves may be
>> wiping comments.
>>
>> Given the nature of JD's usual trolling here it's hardly surprising
>> that between AI and human censors pushing 50% of his comments are
>> getting waxed.
>
> And he just told us that he can again post YouTube comments at will, his
> account had been reinstated.
>
> He might tell us his YouTube handle, point us to some of his comments,
> unless he's ashamed to let us see what he does there.

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<wj6qK.100174$W169.11073@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99302&group=sci.electronics.design#99302

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:36:44 GMT
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:36 UTC

Further, Troll Doe stated the following in message-id
<svsh05$lbh$5@dont-email.me>
(http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=164904625100) posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022
08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

> Compared to other regulars, Bozo contributes practically nothing
> except insults to this group.

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio
to USENET (**) has been 59.0% of its posts contributing "nothing except
insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe has posted at
least 1755 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and
863 have been Troll Doe "troll format" postings.

The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id
<sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:

> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...

And the John Dope troll stated the following in message-id
<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
> CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:32:03 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <t8ar82$35r$2@dont-email.me>.

7QxV9U6ykcnX

Re: OT: Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'

<0fe3d52d-6729-4261-9fa3-a058c5475466n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99317&group=sci.electronics.design#99317

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
chatbot is 'sentient'
From: r_delane...@yahoo.com (RichD)
 by: RichD - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:05 UTC

On June 14, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> Google places engineer on leave after he claims group's chatbot is 'sentient'
>
> It's just a computer program, and the guy is obviously a fruitcake.

Poll the sharpest AI geeks in the world, ask them if anyone can define 'sentient',
or propose a test for that.
It's in the same category as intelligence and consciousness, if any
difference exists among them -

--
Rich