Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 15:29:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Garmin Improvements
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:29 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 3:22:02 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 2:55:24 PM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm not familiar with London but perhaps it suffers from large and often
> > > pressure fronts that move in and out fairly rapidly? This is something
> > > that is unusual most places such as here where a pressure front usually
> > > takes a week or more to move through. Altimeters use atmospheric pressure
> > > to detect climbing and are very sensitive as you would expect, for fronts
> > > moving in and out will show as climbing and/or descending.
> > >
> > It’s a temperate climate but no not really a feature, clearly does have
> > fronts moving in mostly in winter, but it’s fairly stable as to the height
> > gained, and generally is believable considering the route for either my
> > commute or Gravel/MTB rides.
> >
> > Most units will recalculate, to known heights etc. so while it’s true there
> > is some variably it’s a few feet over a big ride than by the 1000ft or so.
> My altimeter on both the Garmin and the Levon (I think it is - a speedo with altitude and rate of climb) report every 3 feet on climbs so they are extremely sensitive to even rollers.

Because the ears broke off of my 810 I ordered another rear case. But I also decided that since I intend to ride until something forcibly stops me I will buy a new Garmin 830 from the factory. My local bike shop put it on order and he will sell it to me cheaper than you can get used ones on Ebay for.. Hopefully this one will include an operation manual since it appears to be entirely touch screen. I have all of the pickups - speed, cadence and heart-rate already. I installed the 800 on my Trek and the operating system on that is actually easier to figure out than the 810. It took me less than 5 minutes to train it to my sensors. I could pick up the 810 right now and it would take me 15 minutes to find the screen to change the sensors.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Garmin Improvements

By: Tom Kunich on Mon, 31 Jan 2022

97Tom Kunich