From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Why is it called a presta valve and who invented it and when?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 09:18:43 +0700
References: <afb90hhkidppogp0e83g2kii1sflr0pae9@4ax.com> <su3bt2$51d$1@dont-email.me> <p2db0h1t4vep4unoutpl0j5nk127aqaclj@4ax.com> <su4gl9$g4$1@dont-email.me> <vpmb0hdrru5eatl7ju8kh54n4i14c9advl@4ax.com> <su6l19$j5v$1@dont-email.me> <7q0e0h5a7gidqd13o3556psi37dirqc2n6@4ax.com> <su72so$5s1$1@dont-email.me> <e46a329f-5e47-431b-bd38-98e7da174cc6n@googlegroups.com> <su771u$okk$1@dont-email.me> <make0h52sjp31953ed9j0ugcsekmskj8r2@4ax.com> <su8n98$27q$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 02:18 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:29:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/12/2022 1:35 AM, John B. wrote:

>>> meh.
>>>
>>> And every day (more than usual this week) there are multiple
>>> stabbings and sword/machete murders.
>>>
>>> https://www.wate.com/news/sword-attack-in-indiana-leaves-2-dead-1-wounded/
>>>
>>> https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Sword-wielding-man-shot-by-New-Braunfels-police-16836088.php
>>>
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-find-man-decapitating-girlfriend-with-machete-in-philadelphia/ar-AATJCVg
>>>
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-accused-of-attacking-lakewood-store-employee-with-machete-police-say/ar-AATJXiV
>>>
>>> https://www.thedailybeast.com/karla-jackelin-morales-allegedly-lured-jose-villanueva-to-ms-13-machete-death-and-skipped-bail
>>>
>>> I skip the stabbings/slashings with knives/razors which are
>>> frequent.
>>>
>>> Turns out that by not prosecuting/detaining criminals,
>>> mayhem results. Weapon of choice may vary but the results
>>> are fungibly similar.
>>
>> But when you say "GUN" Ohoooo it is so scary.
>>
>> As has been discussed before, the FBI records show that in 2015 "long
>> guns" killed 463 victims and hands and feet killed 651.
>>
>> But a news article announcing "Oh Yes, he was kicked to death" is sort
>> of, well sort of every day, and far less thrilling that "He was shot,
>> 17 times!"
>
>As we've mentioned before: Data on U.S. gun crime generally shows a
>small number of homicides by "long gun" or "rifle." But it shows a large
>number by unspecified "firearm," a separate category from "handgun." I
>assume that means that the type of gun was undetermined. And I think
>it's reasonable to say a large portion of those undetermined cases are
>in fact ARs.

Is it reasonable? Or simply another example of "gun terror"?

Looking at the chart
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls
we see that of the total 10,258 cases of a firearm used in a homicide
some 6,368, or 62% were hand guns and some 3,281 or 31% were stated to
be "not noted".

Is it reasonable to argue that every one of these "not noted" firearms
was a pistol? Or simply a fantasy to justify a pre-conceived notion.

>And regarding hands and feet vs. semi-automatic, easily customized,
>large magazine assault-style rifles: Can we again consider advantages
>and disadvantages? I shouldn't have to point out that hands and feet
>have countless practical uses, and that life without them would be
>difficult. (The same is true of knives, BTW.)

So you would condone beating someone to death with hands and feet
because they have practical uses? And knives? O.K. I guess....

BUT WAIT! In 1994, about 800,000 Tutsi people were slaughtered in
Rwanda by ethnic Hutu extremists, largely with clubs and knives. Then
the Largely Tutsi Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) seized power and
returned the favor, killing thousands of Hutu's. Again largely with
knives and clubs.

..>
>What are the advantages and disadvantages of AR-style weaponry? Well, a
>disadvantage is that those guns are the weapon of choice for crackpots
>choosing to blow away bunches of kids in a schoolroom, a bunch of people
>in a night club, a bunch of people at a music concert, etc. Also, their
>widespread presence makes the job of a cop much more difficult, since
>it's easy for them to be out-gunned. (That's something almost no other
>developed countries have to worry about).

Well, one might ask, what are the advantages and disadvantages of, oh
say, plastic bicycles (selling for upwards of $10,000)? Or even what
is the advantage and disadvantage of a bicycle as it seems that
something less then 9% of U.S. families do not own a car and other
sources state that in 2019 some 267,894,860 autos were registered in
the U.S.

Very much an affection one might say - "Oh! Look! Everybody! I'm
riding to work today on my bicycle! But of course, that is only on
days when it isn't raining or too cold to ride, when we take the BMW.

Errr Frank, the two most popular "long guns" used by U.S. police
forces are the 870 Remington shotgun and the Colt M4 Carbine.
>The AR advantages are so slight that most truly civilized countries do
>perfectly well with roughly zero of them in circulation. In fact, those
>other countries do far better.
>
>What _are_ the advantages of AR-style guns? "Dude, they're cool! And
>when I play with mine or shoot at those silhouette targets, I can
>pretend I'm a really tough commando defending my home against ... um,
>them other people. Even though I'm really a feeble 77 year old pot
>bellied guy with memory problems."
>
>"Really cool" doesn't outweigh "27 schoolkids murdered" in my book.

And just think! some 800+- die every year on bicycles, year after year
after year. Nearly 10,000 since 2007, such carnage MUST be stopped!
--
Cheers,

John B.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Why is it called a presta valve and who invented it and when?

By: Muhammad Sarwar on Sun, 6 Feb 2022

388Muhammad Sarwar