From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: "Grocery Getter" bike
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:24:45 +0700
References: <su4gu4$g4$2@dont-email.me> <a25a533a-50b0-4d72-a145-729f3bb7569cn@googlegroups.com> <su5nv6$p5d$1@dont-email.me> <japd0h1t5c0k159gohf1jmjkhae00dn5u2@4ax.com> <su6s58$308$1@dont-email.me> <rf3e0hd8k7315lb9vrv5h4bfbvdn9aa54v@4ax.com> <su74sf$cim$4@dont-email.me> <d8c1223e-b88a-43b6-b2b6-cae085cb38ban@googlegroups.com> <gr1g0hhsd7g3iclme8imgr2o09vd3sou6n@4ax.com> <jafg0h9tapauk4fkhq9hi660ibi9sp4mdd@4ax.com> <8i5j0hpue58iuk4p1unonq12daukai6evt@4ax.com>
 by: John B. - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 01:24 UTC

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:59:24 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 06:22:55 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:20:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>>wrote:

>>>As usual, 100.0% wrong.
>>>
>>>It's hard to get inferior drill bits. Most if not all of what I see
>>>for sale is quite good quality. It is possible to find inferior drill
>>>bits if you look hard. Some of the junk in the hardware bargain bin
>>>probably qualifies. However, these don't "break off" when they fail.
>>>They are soft and bend a little before breaking. If you have a drill
>>>bit that "wobbles" from being bent, you have one of these.
>>>
>>>You can also accidentally purchase drill bits that are made for
>>>drilling in specialty material. Usually, these will have a strange
>>>looking point, lip, or edge. M35 Bits made for drilling titanium,
>>>cast iron, and stainless include cobalt in the recipe and tend to
>>>break if abused.
>>><https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6169>
>>>Note that titanium plated drill bits are harder than cobalt. You can
>>>sharpen cobalt drill bits, but once the titanium layer is gone, forget
>>>about sharpening the bit.
>>>
>>>Most commodity drill bits are made from M2 tool steel:
>>><https://hudsontoolsteel.com/technical-data/steelM2>
>>><https://waldunsteel.com/products/m2-high-speed-steel/>
>>>M2 is 0.85% carbon. "High Carbon" between 0.6 to 1.0% carbon:
>>><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_steel#Higher-carbon_steels>
>>>which puts M2 in the middle of the range making all commodity drills
>>>"high carbon steel".
>>>
>>>Also, please note that *ALL* steels are crystals. The various types
>>>are distinguished by their crystal structure.
>>>"Steels - The Structure of Engineering Steels"
>>><https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=399>
>>>M2 high speed tool steels are already crystalline. Using such steels
>>>do not crystallize the steel because it is are already crystallized.
>>>
>>>There are drill bits that are listed as "high speed steel", which are
>>>generally made only for drilling wood or plastic. Their major claim
>>>to fame is the low price. For example:
>>><https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drill-driver-bits/high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set-13-pc-61723.html>
>>>These don't "break off" but rapidly become dull if used to drill
>>>through metal.
>
>>While I know that you are generalizing I would quibble with a couple
>>of statements.
>
>Sorry for the delay. I wanted to do some reading and ask a friend a
>few questions about these quibbles.
>
>>Cast iron, at least the commonly used term, refers to a
>>rather soft material, 150-200BH (Brinell hardness) to as high as
>>210-260 BH.
>>see http://www.iron-foundry.com/castings-hardness.html
>
>When I mentioned cast iron in my previous rant, it was in reference to
>using M35 cobalt drill bits to drill holes in cast iron:
> "M35 Bits made for drilling titanium, cast iron, and
> [...]

Well, you've go on for some lengths but to simplify cast iron is made
in various grades and compared to commonly used steels is relatively
soft... however... a cast iron casting usually has a "skin" of super
hard "steel", i,.e. high carbon iron, what because of rapid cooling is
extremely hard. But, if you take that same casting and stick it in a
furnace and anneal it, it will be the same hardness all the way
through, or maybe I should have said "softness" (:-)

As for "stainless". there are many, many, grades and types of
"stainless" see
https://www.tfgusa.com/types-of-stainless-steel/
--
Cheers,