From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:17:50 +0700
References: <bee473ca-cd95-4a68-ab0f-54c902776e6fn@googlegroups.com> <pqd01hl2eccc1o342v7mtc6dfv3otqdnc0@4ax.com> <6f1d849c-6641-4ad1-8b39-eabe32f7ca04n@googlegroups.com> <bor01htoa2ggmcccsn7qs5d4pp8e3v5rsu@4ax.com> <sur81m$tnp$1@dont-email.me> <ca531h9ihq8agjvet0tf842q43ec7j30ei@4ax.com> <39d69f57-a572-47a4-92a1-b8330a89b769n@googlegroups.com> <m9o31hte6761i5mppg1rj9v96b7k8tcbv2@4ax.com> <ec933d09-8f09-4341-80d1-0c372c0527f3n@googlegroups.com> <sutt5m$t4k$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:17 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:18:45 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 2/20/2022 3:10 AM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 12:51:58 AM UTC-6, John B. wrote:

>>> Well, I guess the most obvious answer is "because someone wants one".
>>> Rather like the answer "why does someone want a plastic bicycle?" Or
>>> Why does one want a bicycle at all?"
>>>
>>> You argue that "big magazines abetting mass shootings" and yet
>>> statistics don't seem to justify that statement.
>>> https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/
>>> Rifles were used in 26% of the shootings and pistols in 61%
>>> So shouldn't you be crying about pistols.
>>>
>>> Or FBI data which shows that in 2019 pistols were used in 62% of all
>>> shooting homicides.
>>> In fact the same statistics show that only 3% of shooting homicides
>>> were carried out with rifles which might, or might not, have large
>>> magazines.
>>>
>>> As I said, you are becoming a Crotchety Old Man and rather then argue
>>> facts you continue with these "delusions" - there is no other name for
>>> them - just as Tom does.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John B.
>>
>> Frank did say "abetting mass shootings".
>> This from Wikipedia:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States
>> "Gun Violence Archive, frequently cited by the press, defines a mass shooting as firearm violence resulting in at least four people being shot at roughly the same time and location, excluding the perpetrator. Using this definition, there have been 2,128 mass shootings since 2013, roughly one per day."
>> "The United States has had more mass shootings than any other country."
>> "Several types of guns have been used in mass shootings in the United States. A 2014 study conducted by Dr. James Fox of 142 shootings found that 88 (62%) were committed with handguns of all types; 68 (48%) with semi-automatic handguns, 20 (14%) with revolvers, 35 (25%) with semi-automatic rifles, and 19 (13%) with shotguns. The study was conducted using the Mother Jones database of mass shootings from 1982 to 2018. High capacity magazines were used in approximately half of mass shootings. Semi-automatic rifles have been used in six of the ten deadliest mass shooting events."
>>
>> Key points in the above quotes are (1) "High capacity magazines were used in approximately half of mass shootings." AND (2) "Semi-automatic rifles have been used in six of the ten DEADLIEST mass shooting events."
>>
>> The best (worst) mass shooting in the USA was the Las Vegas concert hotel killing in 2017. 60 dead.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Las_Vegas_shooting
> [...]

Well.... it might be noted that in the period from 1949 to 2021 the
number of mass shooting deaths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States
was 502 people.

In 1949 alone there were
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclist_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year
550 bicycle deaths.
And, by 2018 there had been 49,953 more deaths.

And before anyone argues that Oh, my goodness there are so many
cyclists let me add that

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249740/percentage-of-households-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/
42% if families have access to firearms and

there are some128.45 (million) families
https://financesonline.com/number-of-us-households/
and
there seem to be abut 2.6 persons to each family
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/HSD410219
so 128.45 x ,42 = 53.949 x 2.6 = 140.267 million
with access to guns,

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191204/participants-in-bicycling-in-the-us-since-2006/
says that there are some 53.73 million cyclists.

So 53.73 million contribute 50,000 deaths while 140.267 million
contribute 502.

Oh.... ain't them there mass shootings terrifying!

--
Cheers,

John B.

SubjectRepliesAuthor