From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 10:39:07 -0600
References: <6969f871-99c9-49f9-bc55-980e1fb6099bn@googlegroups.com> <i43b1h1std7bs5bqmvulhtjeuqi1erhd4i@4ax.com> <sv44aq$p56$1@dont-email.me> <sv45er$vfj$1@dont-email.me> <sv5qq5$q2n$1@dont-email.me> <tgkd1htfa8ndf3ggjd3a8e1dut85uo37bp@4ax.com> <sv6o7s$3fi$4@dont-email.me> <21ca34a7-0bab-4c91-86d2-f0580a01c59fn@googlegroups.com> <sv8b7f$vpf$1@dont-email.me> <sv8dmq$fpk$2@dont-email.me> <pg3g1h5lvcsj1mq39stsug98ee6i8j35hu@4ax.com> <svb0ar$mbh$1@dont-email.me> <ciij1htq7osmu6c8i18ar39j7v0kimmpnj@4ax.com> <svdim2$609$1@dont-email.me> <svdmka$22a$1@dont-email.me> <sve5ir$997$1@dont-email.me> <sve6sb$hll$1@dont-email.me> <sve8d7$r9k$1@dont-email.me>
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 16:39 UTC

On 2/26/2022 4:08 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 2/26/2022 4:42 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> You seem to be rebutting an argument I haven't made.
>>>
>>> In any case, it seems neither you nor John had no
>>> explanation for the differences (nor source) he's found for
>>> Canadian vs. U.S. crime stats. You can't be suggesting it's
>>> because of the anecdotes and policy changes you cited in
>>> those articles. None are more than two years old, and two
>>> are only a few months old.
>>>
>>> Do you have an explanation for Canada's much better numbers?
>>> Is their justice system really more strict and punitive than
>>> ours?
>>>
>>> I really don't know the answer. But I very much doubt the
>>> better numbers are due to some inborn, genetic difference in
>>> the populations.
>>>

>> Sorry if I was not more clear.
>>
>> I meant that rather than laws changing the culture,
>> cultural changes are reflected in different (or, 2022,
>> deficient, lacking, dysfunctional) policies and laws.
>>
>> We are a much more violent nation than Canada. This was
>> not _caused_ by repealing death penalty statues nor by
>> redefining 'felony' or what have you.
>>
>> Opening the borders in direct conflict with a host of long
>> standing Federal statutes, by ukase, probably has
>> increased violence but that's like peeing in the ocean.
>
> But again, "We are a much more violent nation than Canada"
> is not an answer to my question.
>
> Which was "And your explanation for the differences, please?
> Is it genetics?"
>
> If not that, then what?

I don't know and simple answers will not be found.

Many serious people have interesting analyses. Thomas Sowell
for example has written extensively on the link between
Scots-Irish lower class immigration to the central and
southern States (after New England was settled) and the
follow on effects of their culture on the nearby black
population in terms of cultural attitudes and behaviors.

And lest my comments be misunderstood, when Mr Kunich notes
(correctly if perhaps not well composed) that black men are
7% of USA but 50% of homicide victims and of murderers where
race is known, this has no meaning for the greater bulk of
normal black Americans with whom we live, work and date. As
with white or Hondurans any group, a very small number of
feral criminals account for most crime and as criminology
understood in the early 1990s removing a few dozen guys from
a neighborhood will and has dramatically reduced crime. New
York is the classic case but not different from other
experiences except in volume.

Back to your prior comment, the elected officials linked
above each ran specifically on _not_ jailing criminals. And
were elected. Enough voters embraced a vision of societal
collapse to vote them in or, as I noted, laws and policies
follow culture.

I'm more than concerned, I'm upset. In the local instance I
sold my house and moved my business out of a county which
has fallen apart by treating career criminals as lost
wayward souls if not an endangered species requiring
coddling on the public dime at great expense. The results
are not pretty but hey I'm a minority now.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor