From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 19:05:26 -0600
References: <svefs6$7vc$1@dont-email.me> <geil1h1vb65ghu0kb14c2lujl2egs4ehre@4ax.com> <svg63t$f8r$1@dont-email.me> <2vvn1h158mfkrd95j90qndeqlg0s6o2a0g@4ax.com> <cf037bbf-ddce-4b07-a972-9bb5ef86e06fn@googlegroups.com> <jueo1hhau13795h88sq6vh8gsbs70k0ofr@4ax.com> <c61ada1f-08e0-47c0-be42-fe557c68323en@googlegroups.com> <86oo1h54kbgfn541h8ncob3edod72798gg@4ax.com> <svitjt$p5b$1@dont-email.me> <rjkq1hhbu3euf54t286imcdpvudnuvudh4@4ax.com> <svlg6j$4d3$1@dont-email.me> <en9t1hl36lsemsv1hog4vdoj9chht635vm@4ax.com> <svmf5m$is5$1@dont-email.me>
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 01:05 UTC

On 3/1/2022 6:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/1/2022 7:10 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:04:35 -0500, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> When you explain to me _why_ you think Canadians are ...
>>> inherently?
>>> genetically? ... more civilized than Americans, you'll
>>> have a point.
>>>
>>> BTW, your explanation should also apply to Brits, Irish,
>>> French, Swedes
>>> and so many other countries that have far fewer gun
>>> deaths than the U.S.
>>> (Since you brought up the subject, I'll rely on you to
>>> look up their
>>> rates of rape and other violent crimes.)
>>>
>>> Until you come up with a better explanation, I'm going to
>>> assume that
>>> differences in gun death rates have a lot to do with
>>> their national
>>> policies, as implemented by their laws, etc.
>>>
>>> Briefly, my view is that national policies make a big
>>> difference in how
>>> people behave.
>>>
>>> Your view is, apparently, "Americans are just bad."
>>>
>>> Feel free to restate your view if it's different. And
>>> don't change the
>>> subject, John. This is what we are talking about _now_.
>>
>> All right, if you really are set on changing the subject,
>> we will
>> continue.
>>
>> You say "Briefly, my view is that national policies make a
>> big
>> difference in how people behave."
>>
>> Which is to say that your supposition is that ....
>>
>> Which really means what? That you have a vivid
>> imagination? Or that
>> you have conducted a multi year survey of millions of
>> inhabitants of
>> both the U.S. and Canada to determine to the nth degree
>> why they act
>> as they do?
>>
>> I suggest that your suppositions are just that, examples
>> of a vivid
>> imaginations and have nothing to do with reality.
>>
>> I prefer to deal in facts... that based on reported crime
>> rates the
>> Canadians are a far more law abiding nation then the U.S.
>>
>> No suppositions, no imagination, no "well I think". Just
>> facts.
>
> OK, John, let's return to some "facts" you've repeatedly
> reported.
>
> On many occasions, you've discussed with apparent approval
> the extremely strict laws of Singapore, everything from
> spitting on sidewalks to dealing drugs. Each time you've
> done that, you ended with statements like "And in Singapore,
> people don't do those things."
>
> Your implication was NOT that Singaporeans are genetically
> prone to be well behaved people. Your implication was that
> properly enforced laws DO cause people to change their
> behavior.
>
> But you work just as hard to imply that the differences
> between American crime data and that of Canada, Britain,
> Ireland etc. are _not_ the legal policies and other
> [...]

No, not genetics; USA culture. We are the most genetically
diverse nation in all of history. Period. Heck, I'm part
Neandertal and also part Denisovan!

We cannot adopt Singapore laws and policies. Here, the dope
dealers have rights, unlike taxpayers, and the outcry
against a sentence of hanging would bring blood in the
streets. Even the rare death sentence here usually takes
longer than natural life to process. Ain't gonna happen.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor