Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 00:45:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:45 UTC

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 11:39:41 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> [...]
> >motivation, but it seemed weird. A punk broke in the front door in the dead of night and started shooting
> >at several people (not family members) gathered in the living room. He killed a little kid, apparently
> >not the intended target, and immediately ran off. Nobody shot back, because how would you know
> >to be "Quick Draw McGraw" at the ready?
> >
> >The other event I knew about involved the vice president of the manufacturing firm I worked at as
> >an engineer. He had a very nice house with glass panels aside the front door. A punk pounded on the
> >door at night, and the VP came to the door in his pajamas. He opened the door, saw the punk had a
> >gun and turned around to run up the stairs for his own gun. The punk broke a glass panel and shot
> >him as he ran, killing him.
> >
> >Whipping out a gun for defense is as imaginary as the TV action shootings.
> >
> >> https://fee.org/articles/more-people-use-a-gun-in-self-defense-each-year-than-die-in-car-accidents/
> >
> >"More People Use a Gun in Self-Defense Each Year Than Die in Car Accidents"?? That's very unlikely!
> >I put it in the same category as "This pill can help you lose up to 50 pounds in a month!"
> >
> >https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/podcasts/daily-newsletter-self-defense-gun-use.html
> >
> >"But how often are guns used in self-defense, really?
> >
> >“It’s pretty rare,” David Hemenway, director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, said, despite the fact that gun violence in the U.S. is exceptionally common. There are more guns in the country than people, and nearly 40,000 Americans died because of gun violence in 2019. A majority of those deaths were suicides. From 2007 to 2011, only about 1 percent of people who were crime victims claimed to have used a gun to protect themselves — and the average person had “basically no chance in their lifetime ever to use a gun in self-defense,” Dr. Hemenway told NPR in 2018.
> >
> >"Still, getting exact numbers on the prevalence of what researchers call “self-defense gun use” is tricky. A study cited by the C.D..C. indicates a “range of 60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year.” A large majority of firearms researchers, however, “think that’s a wild overestimate for two reasons,” Dr.. Hemenway said. First, survey respondents are often shown to report the timing and frequencies of events inaccurately, a phenomenon known as the telescoping effect.
> >
> >"Additionally, people involved in gun violence often claim self-defense, even if the facts of the case don’t support that claim — a self-presentation bias that can make data unreliable. And when trying to measure rare events, any margin of survey error can create huge variables in the results."
> >
> >Again: "A large majority of firearms researchers, however, think that’s a wild overestimate."
> >
> >And even if it were true, how many developed countries does that apply to? Why?

John, I expected far better of you. I hate to even insinuate it, but you did a Tommy. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/03/29/12-times-guns-saved-lives/
I think this is a right wing nut website. Below are some of the titles they had at the top of the page when I clicked on it:
‘Too Little, Too Late’: Gov. Kim Reynolds Responds to Biden’s State of the Union Address
Biden’s Biggest State of the Union Blunders
Fact-Checking 10 Claims From Biden’s State of the Union Address
Don’t Buy Democrats’ Cries of GOP ‘Racism’ and ‘Misogyny’ on Biden’s Supreme Court Pick
And in your link above it has this statement "Here are 12 such instances in the past 12 years."
One per year? Volcanoes erupt more often than that. Hurricanes happen more often than that. Earthquakes happen more often than that.
And in the #3 in your link above is about a gun wielding hero who saw a man being knifed so he ran to his house to get his AR-15 rifle. But by the time he returned to the scene of the crime, the assailant had run off and was later caught by police. So I don't quite understand how the hero having a gun changed much.

> https://fee.org/articles/guns-prevent-thousands-of-crimes-every-day-research-show/
I am familiar with the thinking, idea expressed in this story. Having a gun prevents the crime from ever happening. Or the possibility of there being a gun prevents anything from happening. Kind of like keeping the door locked prevents theft. And I am sure there is some validity to this thought. Kind of like the USA keeps any big wars from happening by just having such a big military and missiles. No one dares to start too much trouble. Somewhat valid. OK.

> http://thinkaboutnow.com/2016/06/study-guns-stop-crime-2-5-million-times-each-year/
This one and the link at the bottom are the exact same. You could have, should have, eliminated one of them. The bottom one most likely. Its similar thinking to the link above about the fact that there are guns present stops criminals. Even when the guns are never shown or used. OK.

> https://stories.avvo.com/crime/8-horrible-crimes-stopped-by-legal-gun-owners.html
A list of eight times guns supposedly were used to save people. You can find supporting evidence for anything. Playing the lottery makes you RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you can find eight lottery winners and they are now rich.

> https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm/
> (:-)
> --
> Cheers,