From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 19:43:20 -0600
References: <rjkq1hhbu3euf54t286imcdpvudnuvudh4@4ax.com> <svlg6j$4d3$1@dont-email.me> <svlinf$q2c$1@dont-email.me> <svlss6$eja$1@dont-email.me> <svm0jg$dc6$1@dont-email.me> <svm13d$hdl$1@dont-email.me> <svm3gv$489$1@dont-email.me> <svmedv$eld$1@dont-email.me> <buht1h5t26n3gmpfa1l85n4qfat9ldtrus@4ax.com> <svo4tu$ipk$1@dont-email.me> <d1tv1hdfqt3vi09galqh57p3e2q4qqnkf5@4ax.com> <svp3hd$893$1@dont-email.me> <8e802h5422kk0imumr2lmbolq0ho76ikbj@4ax.com> <svrsqc$lvn$1@dont-email.me> <19432hd7b38orjtvaui5i7m476c8gi3u6h@4ax.com> <svtj6c$d4d$1@dont-email.me> <6643c811-fb3e-4b61-80e9-df77178aad24n@googlegroups.com> <svuck5$hed$1@dont-email.me>
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 01:43 UTC

On 3/4/2022 6:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/4/2022 6:30 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 11:44:48 AM UTC-6, Frank
>> Krygowski wrote:

>>> We may bicycle to get groceries later today. We
>>> frequently do that. It's
>>> a 6.2 mile round trip.
>>>
>>> Would you walk or run six miles to carry home
>>> 20-something pounds of
>>> groceries? Of course not. You'd drive.
>>
>> Where I used to live, I walked 1.5 miles round trip to the
>> grocery store. Carrying heavy groceries home was
>> unpleasant. Many times I carried home 2 liter bottles of
>> soda pop. 6 or 8 bottles total. 25 to 35 pounds
>> roughly. My arms were longer when I got home. I have a
>> touring bike with panniers and a rack bag. So I could
>> have easily used that bike and bags to carry 9 bottles
>> home. But that seemed like too much work to get that bike
>> and bags out and use it for such a short walk.
>
> The last bike I built up was specifically made to be super
> easy to use, so no ride is too short. Three speed hub, front
> Dynohub, upright bars, flat pedals work even with my hiking
> boots, front basket, handlebar mirror so I don't even have
> to clip on an eyeglass mirror, an old 52 tooth chainring
> with teeth removed to use as a chainguard so I don't have to
> clip my pants cuffs. I carry it up ~5 steps out the back
> basement door and jump on.
>
> I think in marketing terms, this is called "reducing
> friction" - i.e. making an operation as easy as possible.

+1

Although the bike I've owned longest is my much beloved
Raleigh Sports (like yours, 3x with DynoHub) my fixed gear
bike, built sort of on a lark in 1992, has proved even more
useful, exactly because I don't love it- so I don't fret
about salt water, dings and scratches, etc. It just always
works and it's always ready to ride- so I do.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor