From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:02:14 +0700
References: <t05b69$geu$1@dont-email.me> <2i2d2hdnu9p8s0p7lb4rs8ql5olpgud6st@4ax.com> <bd15eca0-c7c2-46ad-a634-b3a3eaf96a86n@googlegroups.com> <o0ed2h145s1qfv8eh7d4vepq6sup5ge1ui@4ax.com> <e723731e-1e36-4335-949a-b175eb631b83n@googlegroups.com> <im6e2hd8gbdqgm2n74tvdjee96s7ema5i8@4ax.com> <t07v3k$rnr$1@dont-email.me> <t08493$at1$1@dont-email.me> <t08als$3gl$1@dont-email.me> <68uf2h5n00mkfc8i3mrvqp1gd9pemiio40@4ax.com> <t093io$nnu$3@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 03:02 UTC

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 3/8/2022 8:02 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 14:26:52 -0500, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> My explanation would be fashion driven by decades of subtle marketing
>>> hype. Fear mongering like "You may have to defend your home," product
>>> placement in countless NCIS TV shows, ludicrous fantasy posters of a
>>> heavily muscled Trump brandishing one...

>>> I don't want to give bonus points to the gun culture by saying "Only a
>>> small percentage murder people." That's way beyond the liberal "Gold
>>> medal for participating!" given to every kid in class.
>>>
>>> "And Johnny gets a special trophy because he didn't assault his teacher
>>> this year!"
>>>
>>> If we passed out a hand grenade to every household, only a minority
>>> would explode them. But it would still be a really stupid idea.
>>
>> But you are just making things up. No gold medals for participating
>> true... but no gold medals for not stealing cars, and no gold medal
>> for not robbing banks, and on and on.
>>
>> I pointed out that bicycles had killed more people - some hundred
>> times more, then the terrible "mass shootings" and you dismissed them
>> although they were higher then the combat deaths in Vietnam which I
>> remind you so terrified the youth of American that they fled the
>> country.
>>
>> And you will leap into the fray, shouting "BUT bicycles have an
>> advantage!" Yup, I agree, an advantage in killing people. Think of it,
>> 100 times as many dead on bicycles as died in mass shootings.
>>
>> I think I'll let you keep those advantages. I don't want any part of
>> them.
>
>Do you ride a bike? You have claimed to.

For about 25 years until my hip got so bad - I broke my pelvis (one of
your fabled advantages of a bicycle I guess) and now I walk with a
cane.

>That indicates you judge the benefits of riding to be greater than the
>detriments. And as I've indicated via many citations, you'd be right.
>
>So are you now arguing against your own behavior?? Really??

Nope Frank. I rode a bicycle simply because I enjoyed riding it. Just
as I ran in foot races because I enjoyed it. I can honestly say that I
never sat down and added up the advantages and disadvantages of
either. Or spending 20 years in the Air Force, or working in foreign
countries. I just did as I damned pleased.

And I believe that is why most people do things. Do you really think
that people sit there counting advantages on their fingers - Eeny,
meeny, miny, moe - Yes Siree Bob, that there one got all them
advantages. Yup, I'll do that.
--
Cheers,

John B.