From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Off road hazards
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:23:42 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:23 UTC

On 3/8/2022 10:02 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2022 8:02 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> But you are just making things up. No gold medals for participating
>>> true... but no gold medals for not stealing cars, and no gold medal
>>> for not robbing banks, and on and on.
>>>
>>> I pointed out that bicycles had killed more people - some hundred
>>> times more, then the terrible "mass shootings" and you dismissed them
>>> although they were higher then the combat deaths in Vietnam which I
>>> remind you so terrified the youth of American that they fled the
>>> country.
>>>
>>> And you will leap into the fray, shouting "BUT bicycles have an
>>> advantage!" Yup, I agree, an advantage in killing people. Think of it,
>>> 100 times as many dead on bicycles as died in mass shootings.
>>>
>>> I think I'll let you keep those advantages. I don't want any part of
>>> them.
>>
>> Do you ride a bike? You have claimed to.
>>

> For about 25 years until my hip got so bad - I broke my pelvis (one of
> your fabled advantages of a bicycle I guess) and now I walk with a
> cane.
>
>> That indicates you judge the benefits of riding to be greater than the
>> detriments. And as I've indicated via many citations, you'd be right.
>>
>> So are you now arguing against your own behavior?? Really??
>
> Nope Frank. I rode a bicycle simply because I enjoyed riding it. Just
> as I ran in foot races because I enjoyed it. I can honestly say that I
> never sat down and added up the advantages and disadvantages of
> either. Or spending 20 years in the Air Force, or working in foreign
> countries. I just did as I damned pleased.
>
> And I believe that is why most people do things. Do you really think
> that people sit there counting advantages on their fingers - Eeny,
> meeny, miny, moe - Yes Siree Bob, that there one got all them
> advantages. Yup, I'll do that.

Most people do not do that in any formal way, but they certainly TRY to
evaluate advantages and disadvantages informally or subconsciously!

What's rather unique is to do what you're doing: After behaving in a
certain way for years and years, to argue incessantly that it's stupid
for others to do the same.

Some reformed drug addicts do that. Very few others.

--
- Frank Krygowski

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Off road hazards