Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Brand Comparison
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:38 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 1:59:42 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 10:45:23 PM UTC+2, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Well if you have to charge the battery every three years then you don't ride much on that bike. ;-)
> > >
> > > Lou
> > OK. I will admit it does not get a lot of use. 1000-2000 miles of riding per year. And it is relatively flat where I live so not too much shifting even when riding. But my point of rarely charging the battery does contradict the number one screaming complaint of those against electronic/battery groupsets. And that is the battery will die frequently. The battery does not die. The battery lasts for a long, long time. Anyone with enough brain power to shift a bicycle, will not run out of battery power during a bicycle ride. Worrying about a Di2 battery dying is comparable to someone fretting and fussing about the battery on their Timex digital watch dying.
> You can have reasons not to choose Di2, but battery life can’t be one of them. I can only think of one reason and that is cost. This is based on my experience with three Di2 equiped bikes. The oldest and most abused Di2 equipped bike is 8 years old.
Unless you're competing in the Race Across America, you're not going to wear that battery down. It is so large compared to the current drain of the derailleurs that if it is 90% worn out it would still finish a spring classic..

The new 12 speed wireless Di2 uses that same battery and the levers have small batteries that last a long time themselves. That was a GREAT idea of retaining the large battery wired to the derailleurs. I haven't bothered to look into it but I suppose that they moved the intelligence into the battery so that it no longer needs the charging unit that was mounted either under the stem or in the end of the bar.

Why would you suppose that Russell would say that he has "zero discomfort" on his saddles? That is the major complaint of all cyclists with proper bike fit. Or maybe he uses one of those leather saddles that require 2 years to break in? And weigh more than my C50?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Brand Comparison

By: Tom Kunich on Mon, 11 Apr 2022

25Tom Kunich