From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Garmin 830 with ongoing problems
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 13:50:34 +0700
References: <5f0999f6-57fc-43aa-acaf-ce9b704ba945n@googlegroups.com> <n4qkbh9ffpqjgka2nabqhn3peg2f7si92d@4ax.com> <80d85005-ded8-4d97-ab56-dcfee0dd929bn@googlegroups.com> <0p2nbh141kopba3nq136f1bri491hg0e0k@4ax.com> <742df96d-a2b6-413f-aead-f6179e9283bfn@googlegroups.com> <ahlpbhpc0leppu1ul6pld23ug1kr5faeh7@4ax.com> <ddeb4a8e-6a89-4627-adbb-ce1d1e6678cen@googlegroups.com> <6beqbhp384n9hc5hhu3s7b6u9vtbp0d48e@4ax.com> <825010cf-0798-4846-99de-6f902f085069n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John B. - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 06:50 UTC

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 23:20:12 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 12:56:55 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 16:48:58 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
>> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >True. A light switch does have an ON and an OFF position. Depending on how you install it, the ON can be either up or down. Way too many decisions to be made and information to be analyzed for Tommy boy. He had better stick to toolbox carrying.
>> I once worked as an Electrical Supervisor on a project to maintain the
>> USAF base at Udorn Thailand. I sent a Thai crew out to wire a one room
>> addition to one of the Air Force's buildings and when the Air Force
>> Inspector checked the work he "gigged" us because one of the light
>> switches was "Installed upside down". So... I told the Thai Foreman to
>> go out and turn the switch the other way "up". He looked at me for a
>> moment and replied, "but the light works." (:-)
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John B.
>
>True. Just like on an outlet you can attach the white/negative wire to the gold/brass screw, and the black/positive wire to the silver screw. Outlet still works just fine.

Yup, alternating current works both ways (:-)

By the way, in AC house wiring there is no plus and negative there is
a "hot" wire and a "Neutral" and sometimes a 3rd wire" ground".

While the Neutral is usually grounded at the "entrance" to the
building this should not be assumed to be true as the system will work
whether grounded or not.
--
Cheers,

John B.