From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Forbes on bike lanes
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:40:42 -0500
References: <236fc926-ad37-49a6-840a-7cc98378c5f7n@googlegroups.com> <bcabih9kg3hiet9dp3eqpegqmphe3eks8o@4ax.com> <bb19f3a7-cba4-404d-9c3d-705483cfdcd8n@googlegroups.com> <6mmbihhtai8qfjogbi8ls517vra8vthh5h@4ax.com> <edf13bc4-f96b-4440-9441-7e574c02f37an@googlegroups.com> <3cccih57kc5brs7lb0nkvnp5ongtse57g4@4ax.com> <d6ef9c1e-43b9-4c6c-94d5-1005cfa2ba4en@googlegroups.com> <9e19370a-f064-4342-aa54-4573bdc696cen@googlegroups.com> <809d31a2-8757-4148-95de-674056944945n@googlegroups.com> <6oaeih1os1e063j7vna6uh0bgqp0v77l4m@4ax.com>
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 16:40 UTC

On 9/18/2022 9:47 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:11:32 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Frank you are looking silier and sillier in this thread. Your own words to me more than once ‘if you don’t like this discussion ignore it’. Does that not apply to you?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>
>> Frank never added anything to this group even when I invited him to. He would "uh-huh" Jobst all the time even when it had absolutely nothing to do with engineering - something at which Jobst excelled. But when Jobst would start in on bicycles he was no more competent than any other rider and it would drive him wild when I would suggest that. Right here is Frank doing the same thing. Probably worse since in the best of times he was nothing more than a cycling tourist. That's fine but don't give us opinions of high end bikes if you don't have any experience with them. Don't tell us about recumbents if you don't know a thing about them.
>>
>> By the way - I received and installed that large idler pulley arm onto my Record rear derailleur. Took if for a ride yesterday. Now I can't be sure that it was exactly those large idler pulleys but the pedals seemed to turn a whole lot easier. When I thought I was riding easy at around 12 mph when I looked at the Garmin I was doing 15 or 16. I was using the wheels with the Michelin Pro4's on so that might have been part of the reason.
>>
>> That long arm with large idlers on it isn't perfect - it has a little too much play in it and if you're not EXACTLY aligned it does make noise trying to shift into another gear. But all in all I was pretty impressed and I can see why the pros are using them. The idlers ARE directional. The chain only engages the idler properly if you have it in the correct direction.
>
> The idlers I was referring to on recumbents are for getting the chain
> around a bend. A direct path from my chain rings to my cassett would
> have to pass though my body.
> https://tinyurl.com/2n9byhop
>
> One of the initial reasons I found this newsgroup was to ask about
> Derailleurs. Mine has around 35000 miles on it and although it seems
> to shift fine and the idlers don't look worn, I wondered if anyone
> knew about the lifespan of them. The bearing sufaces of the idlers
> must be terribly worn by now. I've seen where the idlers can be
> replaced, but maybe it's time for new derailleur. She's a nine speed
> and I'm not interested in changing that.

Idlers run better with an occasional (annual)cleaning and
oiling. Unless they are visibly chipped/worn or noticeably
stiff or rocking side to side they're fine.

Modern derailleurs are very well designed and produced. Wear
is associated mostly with salt water and repeated bashing
both of which are hard on pivots. In normal use they go a
very long time.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>