|||`* Re: The snARKDimensional Traveler
||| `* Re: The snARKIan J. Ball
|||  `* Re: The snARK S01E03 “Getanim8rfsk
|||   +* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"Adam H. Kerman
|||   |+* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"anim8rfsk
|||   ||+* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"The Horny Goat
|||   |||+- Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"anim8rfsk
|||   |||`* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"Dimensional Traveler
|||   ||| `- Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"The Horny Goat
|||   ||`* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"BTR1701
|||   || `- Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"anim8rfsk
|||   |`* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"Ian J. Ball
|||   | `* Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"Adam H. Kerman
|||   |  `- Re: The snARK S01E03 "Get out and Push"Ian J. Ball
|||   `- Re: The snARK S01E03 ???Get out and Push???BTR1701
||`- Re: The snARKanim8rfsk
|`* Re: The snARKanim8rfsk
| `* Re: The snARKDimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: The snARKanim8rfsk
+* Re: The snARK S01E01 "Everyone Wanted to Be on This Ship"Ubiquitous
|`- Re: The snARK S01E01 "Everyone Wanted to Be on This Ship"Genoveva Hirthe
+- Re: The snARK S01E02 "Like It Touched the Sun"Genoveva Hirthe
`* Re: The snARKBTR1701
 `- Re: The snARKshawn

Pages:123
The snARK

<1232930111.697626207.335007.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174864&group=rec.arts.tv#174864

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The snARK
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 04:18:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:18 UTC

S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.

previously on.
I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.

Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
Let the headshaking begin.

A space walk to see what’s hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I’m not
really sure how they’re defining starboard here) and pieces suddenly
abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
possible direction they should go!

Lane, probably the top character I’m rooting for to die, takes an impact
from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet! A similar hunk of
debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!

In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot, the equally inexplicably,
hot soul surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl with
glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.

Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
know.

Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that’s
what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
because that’s how command decisions are made in emergency survival
situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.

Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn’t make it to
the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would’ve been inspired piece of
casting.

Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
social media face of the program…
But five days out they’re all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?

Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant, whose apparent
only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
security, goon poses.

In the dome that has no reason to exist, gigantic pipes under high-pressure
burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?

The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can’t get a rise
out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.

They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
weren’t any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
earth that was must’ve happened fairly abruptly I would think.

Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.

Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?

The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
to get the water reclamation unit working:

We have to get this water reclamation unit working!

(No shit, Sherlock.)

Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
Novak, report on her intake two and four!

(Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)

She proclaims only she can be in charge because she’s the most up-to-date
on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn’t a ship component it’s just
something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.

On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
another EVA.

The batarang isn’t on the ships manifest. It can only mean that this is the
murder weapon! So why not just leave it with the body?

In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.

Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
to do it!

Another EVA! This time they stop the wheel section from spinning. (why the
hell is it spinning anyway, since everybody that was on that section is
dead, and it’s uninhabitable?) Inside a hole in the fuselage, the space
walker finds a whole bunch of hunks of quartz that look like diamonds! He
decides to test their compressive strength to see if they really are
diamonds by… squeezing one with his gloved hand.

Yuh know guys just because you saw Clark Kent do this in a SUPERMAN comic
book doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

The crushed diamond instantly disintegrates, and burns off spaceman Brice’s
glove and fingers! He hurls himself at incredible speed towards the airlock
door in another section (you can only re-pressurize the airlock from within
the ship!)

In the sick bay the sole surviving doctor tells Brice that although he’s
got a Dr. Phibes hand, it will heal up just fine apparently all by itself.
She says it’s a good thing the stuff that reacted with his hand and ate all
the skin off his fingers doesn’t react with human skin or he wouldn’t have
any skin left. Say what now?

The quasi- ginger captain gives a bunch of people five hours sleep. The
only woman who can fix the water reclamation device, and who clearly
doesn’t know English as a first language, refuses to let her crew rest.

2/3 of the acting Captains go to their cabin to get their five hours sleep
but find the blonde has taken it over for her therapy sessions which
include fabulous robes.

One of them double bunks with the hot assistant security goon (I think),
and hydroponics boy gives his bunk to the other one saying he can just go
sleep in the mud in the dome there’s no reason for.

They get the water reclamation unit running! But it only provides them
enough water for two days. So in four days they’ll all be dead. Why? Is it
going to fail?

Because she drained the cooling system the engines shut down and the ship
comes to a complete stop. Because that’s how it works.

Ian, several scenes from the previews, weren’t actually in this weeks
episode, including any mention of FTL drives. There is a scene they keep
showing, though where in that cryo- pod chamber, the pods themselves are
falling up…

Facebook

Re: The snARK

<ts2nag$lnql$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174868&group=rec.arts.tv#174868

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The snARK
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 04:01:20 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:01 UTC

On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>
> previously on.
> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.

Snark snippage because you should read the original.

I see you are feeling better Anim, back to your more usual crankiness. :D

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK

<1580651986.697637781.721725.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174871&group=rec.arts.tv#174871

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 05:21:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:21 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
> Snark snippage because you should read the original.
>
> I see you are feeling better Anim, back to your more usual crankiness. :D

:)

Re: The snARK

<ts3c8e$o7hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174896&group=rec.arts.tv#174896

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 17:58:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 17:58 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>S01E02 " like It Touched the Sun".

>previously on.
>I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.

>Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it's
>very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>Let the headshaking begin.

They're on a rack. Also, the ack-mos-fere retards their forward
momentum.

It's not wankable.

>A space walk to see what's hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
>apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I'm not
>really sure how they're defining starboard here)

No shit. That should have been fore or aft. But if you don't climb the
mast to look out for icebergs, then there's just no way to avoid serious
debris that can destroy the ship.

>and pieces suddenly
>abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
>possible direction they should go!

I can wank it. There is an invisible Greek god spearfishing. Or, it's
The Omen.

>Lane, probably the top character I'm rooting for to die, takes an impact
>from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet! A similar hunk of
>debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!

Do narwals actually spear fish?

>In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot,

In the waiting room only but not the treatment room, despite there being
no bulkhead between the two rooms!

>the equally inexplicably,
>hot soul surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl with
>glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
>talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
>she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.

Couldn't the doctor have given her a sedative? What were they all in the
doctor's office for anyway? Why weren't they doing useful work?

>Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
>hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
>know.

>Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
>water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
>guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
>anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that's
>what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
>because that's how command decisions are made in emergency survival
>situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
>Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.

>Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
>construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
>is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
>saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn't make it to
>the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
>looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would've been inspired piece of
>casting.

It looked more like Christopher Heyerdahl without makeup but I have no
idea who it was. And she turns out to be his daughter but no one said
anything?

>Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>social media face of the program...
>But five days out they're all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
>of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?

Yeah. I was going to say. But they've got Buck Rogers instant
cross-galaxy communication so I guess she would be able to resume
blogging.

>Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant, whose apparent
>only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
>security, goon poses.

His was the only performance that didn't annoy me this week. I hated him
last week.

>In the dome that has no reason to exist,

I wanted to hear Peter Schickele's music from Silent Running.

>gigantic pipes under high-pressure
>burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
>the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
>this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?

>The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
>find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can't get a rise
>out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
>together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.

It's literally a tv reality show.

>They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
>weren't any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
>earth that was must've happened fairly abruptly I would think.

>Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.

What the fuck was that about?

>Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>this can't be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>to someone isn't the fact that it's missing just as big a problem?

It was smuggled on board? You can't let non-specified knives on board?

>The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
>keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
>has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
>to get the water reclamation unit working:

>We have to get this water reclamation unit working!

>(No shit, Sherlock.)

>Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
>Novak, report on her intake two and four!

>(Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)

She ORDERED him to check the pressure by turning on the valve without
first checking connections and gaskets. sigh

>She proclaims only she can be in charge because she's the most up-to-date
>on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn't a ship component it's just
>something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.

And their problem seems to be nothing to do with future technology,
just getting basic plumbing wrong.

>On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
>another EVA.

Why the hell did he touch the white gook? How exactly was his hand going
to heal?

>The batarang isn't on the ships manifest. It can only mean that this is the
>murder weapon! So why not just leave it with the body?

>. . .

>Facebook

facepalm?

Re: The snARK

<ts3gal$onad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174908&group=rec.arts.tv#174908

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:08:05 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:08 UTC

On 2023-02-09 11:18:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> S01E02 "Like It Touched the Sun".

I am hoping to get to this tonight, but it may not happen...

Re: The snARK

<ts4hmo$v03s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174962&group=rec.arts.tv#174962

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:15:11 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 03:15 UTC

On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>
> previously on.
> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>
> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
> Let the headshaking begin.

I was too busy trying to wrap my head around their faster than light
engines require water for coolant in order to work to notice that the
ship came to a stop. But now that you mention it, the ship came to a
stop?!?!? Also, where do they get the water from to cool the engines?

snip

> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
> be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass,

Because she's a robot!

Re: The snARK

<355287087.697715957.358276.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174984&group=rec.arts.tv#174984

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 03:11:36 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:11 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>> Let the headshaking begin.
>>

> I was too busy trying to wrap my head around their faster than light
> engines require water for coolant in order to work to notice that the
> ship came to a stop. But now that you mention it, the ship came to a
> stop?!?!?

Total flat spin, almost instantaneous dead in space stop. The stars stopped
whooshing past them and everything. The water reclamation girl said she
took it upon herself to decide that it was better to have a couple days of
water than to be hurtling to nowhere to go. I’m not really sure what she
meant by that. I am terrified that after captain Ginger saying that the
guy who’s going on the spacewalks can’t go on the spacewalks anymore
because he’s the only navigator they have left that they are going to find
themselves LOST IN SPACE!

I’m not sure if the engine coolant is actually water or just some liquid
that the reclamation plant can suck the water out of.

I don’t think they’ve been using FTL engines, but from the previews
apparently they have them. Blondie said she’d be asleep for 5 1/2 years or
something and they’re going 4 1/2 ly or something so they’re going just
slower than light.

Also, where do they get the water from to cool the engines?

Hopefully it’s a sealed system since it’s been running for half a decade.

> snip
>>
>> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
>> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
>> be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass,
>
> Because she's a robot!

Maybe they’re all robots?

Re: The snARK

<343058687.697667959.358014.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174989&group=rec.arts.tv#174989

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 05:02:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:02 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> S01E02 " like It Touched the Sun".
>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it's
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>> Let the headshaking begin.
>
> They're on a rack. Also, the ack-mos-fere retards their forward
> momentum.
>
> It's not wankable.

As long as they’ve got the engines shut off, now is the time to do the
spacewalks!

>> A space walk to see what's hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
>> apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I'm not
>> really sure how they're defining starboard here)
>
> No shit. That should have been fore or aft. But if you don't climb the
> mast to look out for icebergs, then there's just no way to avoid serious
> debris that can destroy the ship.

What are they going to do about it going forward no matter what the problem
is? All they can do is clench their teeth and take it like a champ.

>> and pieces suddenly
>> abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
>> possible direction they should go!
>
> I can wank it. There is an invisible Greek god spearfishing. Or, it's
> The Omen.

Also, the one guy that gets speared picks up the momentum of the spear and
is hurtling in some bizarre direction, spear and all and the other guy just
flies up and catches him and the dead guy’s momentum doesn’t transfer at
all. I would have been interested in seeing how they got the spear out of
him to bring him back into the ship! Not to mention how much of a mess it
made.

>> Lane, probably the top character I'm rooting for to die, takes an impact
>> from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet! A similar hunk of
>> debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!
>
> Do narwals actually spear fish?

Kind of

https://www.worldwildlife.org/videos/how-narwhals-use-their-tusks

https://youtu.be/OoTjLIN67Bw

>> In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot,
>
> In the waiting room only but not the treatment room, despite there being
> no bulkhead between the two rooms!

The entirely glass enclosed sick bay conference room seems to be temperate
as well. Why does sick bay have a conference room anyway?

Sick bay does have one of those giant doors and they did put tape on the
floor this week to make it look like it was actually air tight.

>> the equally inexplicably,
>> hot soul surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl with
>> glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
>> talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
>> she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.
>
> Couldn't the doctor have given her a sedative? What were they all in the
> doctor's office for anyway? Why weren't they doing useful work?

Everybody is apparently required to be working desperately even though in
all the scenes, everybody keeps complaining, they don’t have a job to do
even though some large percentage of the crew is dead.

>> Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
>> hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
>> know.
>
>> Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
>> water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
>> guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
>> anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that's
>> what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
>> because that's how command decisions are made in emergency survival
>> situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
>> Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.
>
>> Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
>> construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
>> is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
>> saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn't make it to
>> the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
>> looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would've been inspired piece of
>> casting.
>
> It looked more like Christopher Heyerdahl without makeup but I have no
> idea who it was. And she turns out to be his daughter but no one said
> anything?
>
>> Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>> social media face of the program...
>> But five days out they're all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
>> of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?
>
> Yeah. I was going to say. But they've got Buck Rogers instant
> cross-galaxy communication so I guess she would be able to resume
> blogging.

A decade later. At least she’ll be unaged. But why would they care about
publicity for the New World? Like they aren’t gonna be able to fill the
ships with refugees?

>> Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant, whose apparent
>> only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
>> security, goon poses.
>
> His was the only performance that didn't annoy me this week. I hated him
> last week.

Yeah

>> In the dome that has no reason to exist,
>
> I wanted to hear Peter Schickele's music from Silent Running.

Heh

>> gigantic pipes under high-pressure
>> burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
>> the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
>> this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?
>
>> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
>> find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can't get a rise
>> out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
>> together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.
>
> It's literally a tv reality show.

Lol

>> They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
>> weren't any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
>> earth that was must've happened fairly abruptly I would think.
>
>> Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>> murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>> assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.
>
> What the fuck was that about?

She doesn’t have any lines, so she’s got to protect her phony baloney job
somehow.

>> Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>> must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>> giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>> this can't be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>> to someone isn't the fact that it's missing just as big a problem?
>
> It was smuggled on board? You can't let non-specified knives on board?

Since there’s no record of it, why does it need to be disposed of? Much
less secretly?

>> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
>> keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
>> has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
>> to get the water reclamation unit working:
>
>> We have to get this water reclamation unit working!
>
>> (No shit, Sherlock.)
>
>> Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
>> Novak, report on her intake two and four!
>
>> (Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)
>
> She ORDERED him to check the pressure by turning on the valve without
> first checking connections and gaskets. sigh

Or at least asking where they were in the repair efforts

>> She proclaims only she can be in charge because she's the most up-to-date
>> on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn't a ship component it's just
>> something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.
>
> And their problem seems to be nothing to do with future technology,
> just getting basic plumbing wrong.
>
>> On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
>> another EVA.
>
> Why the hell did he touch the white gook? How exactly was his hand going
> to heal?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK

<ts5j3a$12erd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175000&group=rec.arts.tv#175000

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:07:38 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:07 UTC

On 2023-02-09 11:18:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>
> previously on.
> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>
> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.

Yes, I hate this - this is a common trope among sci-fi shows written by
people who don't know science... That's how it works on Earth, in the
air or in the sea, but not in space!!

> Let the headshaking begin.
>
> A space walk to see what’s hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
> apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I’m not
> really sure how they’re defining starboard here) and pieces suddenly
> abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
> possible direction they should go!
>
> Lane, probably the top character I’m rooting for to die, takes an impact
> from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet!

Yeah, not sure what Lane's deal is (he makes you miss Zed from "The
Outpost!") - the "Coming up!..." scenes at the end of the pilot include
one with Ingram warning about Lane, so maybe there's more to this...

> A similar hunk of
> debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!

You knew that guy was a "redshirt" from the very opening shot!!

> In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot, the equally inexplicably,
> hot soul

"sole"!! :p

> surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl

NOT!!

> with
> glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
> talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
> she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.

When does she get speared with debris?!?!!

> Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
> hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
> know.
>
> Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
> water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
> guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
> anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that’s
> what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
> because that’s how command decisions are made in emergency survival
> situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
> Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.

Lane was also against it - his "vote" was perfunctory so he didn't
bother to raise his hands.

> Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
> construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
> is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
> saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn’t make it to
> the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
> looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would’ve been inspired piece of
> casting.

They can't afford Picardo!!

> Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
> social media face of the program…

Yep - which further confirms my contention that she should have just
been left out of the pilot entirely, and her "story" saved for this
episode #2...

> But five days out they’re all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
> of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?

Explained later - she was there to "report on" the mission back to
Earth. (The fact that the transmissions would take 4+ years to get back
to Earth was apparently not considered!!)

> Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant,

From "The Outpost"!! She was actually in the pilot too - I just didn't
notice that she was his secturity "second" until this episode.

> whose apparent
> only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
> security, goon poses.
>
> In the dome that has no reason to exist, gigantic pipes under high-pressure
> burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
> the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
> this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?
>
> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
> find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can’t get a rise
> out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
> together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.
>
> They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
> weren’t any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
> earth that was must’ve happened fairly abruptly I would think.

So, both the show's new opening, and the scene from "3 days before
launch", show the Earth in the same state it was at the end of season
#5 of "The 'Hundred[sic]"! ("Primefaya"!!!) They never explain why.

> Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
> murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
> assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.

It should be noted, Garnet doesn't have an alibi either, and actually
has the strongest motive to "ice" the stowaway, because he apparently
knew her "deepest, darkest secret".

Of course, this episode reveals that Garnet's almost certainly the
(secret) daughter of the industrialist ark-building dude that you
wanted played by Robert Picardo - if so, it explains why she was added
to the crew at the last second, and why she "knows the most about the
ship", as she probably helped daddy design/build the ship or
something...

> Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
> must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
> giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
> this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
> to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?
>
> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
> keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
> has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
> to get the water reclamation unit working:
>
> We have to get this water reclamation unit working!
>
> (No shit, Sherlock.)
>
> Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
> Novak, report on her intake two and four!
>
> (Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)
>
> She proclaims only she can be in charge because she’s the most up-to-date
> on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn’t a ship component it’s just
> something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.
>
> On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
> another EVA.

Actually, Garnet was completely right here - they should have sent
another red shirt to do the EVA. The fact that Brice and Lane
completely rejected this idea shows that they are even dumber than
Garnet!!

> The batarang isn’t on the ships manifest. It can only mean that this is the
> murder weapon! So why not just leave it with the body?
>
> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
> be found!

I found that incredibly annoying - that she was conveniently absent
from this scene, meaning Garnet got to throw some fists... :|

> Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain

"captain" - in "quotes"!!

> happens to be walking
> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
> hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
> neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.
>
> Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
> wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
> of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
> to do it!

Another annoying bit - Garnet keeps calling her "Dr", but they never
say what kind of "doctor" she is! If she's an MD, she should be helping
out Kabir in sickbay!! I'm guessing she's some kind of Ph.D., but they
never say!! If her Ph.D. is in Psych (psych!!) or something, then her
new job actually makes sense.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK

<ts5jdr$12g43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175001&group=rec.arts.tv#175001

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:13:15 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:13 UTC

On 2023-02-10 03:15:11 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>> Let the headshaking begin.
>>

> I was too busy trying to wrap my head around their faster than light
> engines require water for coolant in order to work to notice that the
> ship came to a stop. But now that you mention it, the ship came to a
> stop?!?!? Also, where do they get the water from to cool the engines?
>

> snip
>>
>> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
>> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
>> be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass,
>
> Because she's a robot!

Actually, that's genius!!

I just assumed she's the industrialist dude's secret daughter!!

But it would be a great twist if she's actually an android/robot that
he built to be on the first mission.

Hell - she could even be the saboteur, killin' everybody to make sure
that she ends up running the show!!

I think Arthur has just figured out this whole entire series!!

Re: The snARK

<ts5rtc$13d0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175011&group=rec.arts.tv#175011

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:38:04 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 16:38 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>>
>>> In the cafeteria, the ship's thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>>> food because, well, they are the ship's thugs. The security goon starts to
>>> pummel them, but he's out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere
>>> to be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be
>>> walking by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass,
>>
>> Because she's a robot!
>
>Maybe they're all robots?

Oooh, what a tweest!

BTW, she wouldn't be a robot, she'd be an android.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: The snARK

<1245129644.697747159.904294.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175021&group=rec.arts.tv#175021

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:41:45 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:41 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Because she's a robot!
>>
>> Maybe they're all robots?
>
> Oooh, what a tweest!
>
> BTW, she wouldn't be a robot, she'd be an android.

To be an android, she’d have to appear human. And she doesn’t, she looks
like a ginger.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: The snARK

<5dkduh50i368kruoqoc2i8so2gl5ki4ubs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175047&group=rec.arts.tv#175047

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:38:51 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 23:38 UTC

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 04:18:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>
>previously on.
>I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>
>Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>Let the headshaking begin.
>
>A space walk to see what’s hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
>apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I’m not
>really sure how they’re defining starboard here) and pieces suddenly
>abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
>possible direction they should go!
>
>Lane, probably the top character I’m rooting for to die, takes an impact
>from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet! A similar hunk of
>debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!
>
>In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot, the equally inexplicably,
>hot soul surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl with
>glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
>talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
>she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.
>
>Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
>hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
>know.
>
>Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
>water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
>guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
>anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that’s
>what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
>because that’s how command decisions are made in emergency survival
>situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
>Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.
>
>Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
>construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
>is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
>saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn’t make it to
>the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
>looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would’ve been inspired piece of
>casting.
>
>Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>social media face of the program…
>But five days out they’re all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
>of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?

And even if she is blogging at the new planet isn't everything she
sends back going to take five years to get back to Earth? After all no
one has mentioned any sort of FTL communication so they can't contact
Earth and her blogs along with every other communication is going to
take five years to get there and any response will take five years to
get to them. Though they do bring up later on that she had some friend
that was high up in the command structure that got her on board. I
suppose that sort of thing would happen when they had hundreds of
people assigned to the ship even though they lost most of them in the
'accident'.

>Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant, whose apparent
>only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
>security, goon poses.
And provide cozy sleeping buddy later on.

>In the dome that has no reason to exist, gigantic pipes under high-pressure
>burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
>the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
>this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?

Well, without a reclamation system that works it's going to be lost
into the air. So it isn't truly gone but it also isn't useful for
keeping the people alive.

>The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
>find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can’t get a rise
>out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
>together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.
>
>They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
>weren’t any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
>earth that was must’ve happened fairly abruptly I would think.
>
>Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.

I liked how she refused to move when Lane was leaving as though she
was truly the tough one that was going to intimidate Lane into
answering their questions. (Must be saving money by not giving her any
lines.)

>Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?
>
>The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
>keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
>has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
>to get the water reclamation unit working:
>
>We have to get this water reclamation unit working!
>
>(No shit, Sherlock.)
>
>Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
>Novak, report on her intake two and four!
>
>(Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)

As much as most of the engineering instructions on Star Trek.

>She proclaims only she can be in charge because she’s the most up-to-date
>on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn’t a ship component it’s just
>something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.
>
>On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
>another EVA.
>
>The batarang isn’t on the ships manifest. It can only mean that this is the
>murder weapon! So why not just leave it with the body?

Because then they might trace it back to the owner with future tech
forensics (though not having a forensic lab that is apparently out of
the question.)

>In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
>pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
>be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
>by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
>hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
>neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.

I could see the one guy getting into a fight over something that
stupid, but there was no reason for all of the others to join in to a
free for all.

>Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
>wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
>of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
>to do it!
>
>Another EVA! This time they stop the wheel section from spinning. (why the
>hell is it spinning anyway, since everybody that was on that section is
>dead, and it’s uninhabitable?) Inside a hole in the fuselage, the space
>walker finds a whole bunch of hunks of quartz that look like diamonds! He
>decides to test their compressive strength to see if they really are
>diamonds by… squeezing one with his gloved hand.
>
>Yuh know guys just because you saw Clark Kent do this in a SUPERMAN comic
>book doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Hey, maybe the radiation they are being exposed to might have given
them super strength. Only way to know is to test it out by compressing
this unknown substance with his hand.

>The crushed diamond instantly disintegrates, and burns off spaceman Brice’s
>glove and fingers! He hurls himself at incredible speed towards the airlock
>door in another section (you can only re-pressurize the airlock from within
>the ship!)

He did move amazingly fast to get back in despite the pain he had to
be in.

>In the sick bay the sole surviving doctor tells Brice that although he’s
>got a Dr. Phibes hand, it will heal up just fine apparently all by itself.
>She says it’s a good thing the stuff that reacted with his hand and ate all
>the skin off his fingers doesn’t react with human skin or he wouldn’t have
>any skin left. Say what now?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK

<fklduhthlskhb3daeroa1es5kk0tbuau3r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175050&group=rec.arts.tv#175050

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:48:56 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 23:48 UTC

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:15:11 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>> Let the headshaking begin.
>>

>I was too busy trying to wrap my head around their faster than light
>engines require water for coolant in order to work to notice that the
>ship came to a stop. But now that you mention it, the ship came to a
>stop?!?!? Also, where do they get the water from to cool the engines?

I didn't notice it until Anim brought it up. The guy Anim wishes would
die even says the ship is dead in space. Oddly enough earlier in the
episode we see the ship moving against the stars in the background so
they suggest forward movement. Yet after the pronouncement that the
ship is dead in space when they pan to an outside view the ship is
already not moving even before the engines were turned off. So the
ship knew it needed to stop moving even before it actually needed to
stop moving so it is prescient.

As to the water for the engines she ( the Serbian lady) did say there
was a coolant tank that she raided for the water.

>snip
>>
>> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
>> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
>> be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass,
>
>Because she's a robot!

Now now.. She does have that military badge on her uniform so there is
the potential that she has been through specialized training in hand
to hand combat. Not that it would explain her overcoming the weight
and strength advantage of her opponents based on what we saw.

Re: The snARK

<o1mduh1kccd507s8ooegfj2cjcgiu26h2o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175052&group=rec.arts.tv#175052

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:57:47 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 23:57 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:07:38 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2023-02-09 11:18:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>
>Yes, I hate this - this is a common trope among sci-fi shows written by
>people who don't know science... That's how it works on Earth, in the
>air or in the sea, but not in space!!

It doesn't even work that way on Earth. There's some residual momentum
in play with any large vehicle and something has big as this space
ship should continue moving forward for quite some time if the writers
were modeling Earth behavior. Instead it came to a dead stop even
before the engines were turned off.

>> Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>> social media face of the program…
>
>Yep - which further confirms my contention that she should have just
>been left out of the pilot entirely, and her "story" saved for this
>episode #2...

But then they could have had the non-naked shower scene that let us
know just how self-centered she is.

>> Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>> murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>> assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.
>
>It should be noted, Garnet doesn't have an alibi either, and actually
>has the strongest motive to "ice" the stowaway, because he apparently
>knew her "deepest, darkest secret".
>
>Of course, this episode reveals that Garnet's almost certainly the
>(secret) daughter of the industrialist ark-building dude that you
>wanted played by Robert Picardo - if so, it explains why she was added
>to the crew at the last second, and why she "knows the most about the
>ship", as she probably helped daddy design/build the ship or
>something...
>
>> Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>> must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>> giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>> this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>> to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?
>>

>> happens to be walking
>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
>> hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
>> neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.
>>
>> Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
>> wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
>> of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
>> to do it!
>
>Another annoying bit - Garnet keeps calling her "Dr", but they never
>say what kind of "doctor" she is! If she's an MD, she should be helping
>out Kabir in sickbay!! I'm guessing she's some kind of Ph.D., but they
>never say!! If her Ph.D. is in Psych (psych!!) or something, then her
>new job actually makes sense.

Though apparently all she's done to become famous is do relationship
shows and write a bunch of self-help books. So maybe she's a Doctor in
the same way that Dr. Phil is a Doctor.

>This would only have take one line of diagolue to explain!!
>
>> Another EVA! This time they stop the wheel section from spinning. (why the
>> hell is it spinning anyway, since everybody that was on that section is
>> dead, and it’s uninhabitable?) Inside a hole in the fuselage, the space
>> walker finds a whole bunch of hunks of quartz that look like diamonds! He
>> decides to test their compressive strength to see if they really are
>> diamonds by… squeezing one with his gloved hand.
>>
>> Yuh know guys just because you saw Clark Kent do this in a SUPERMAN comic
>> book doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
>>
>> The crushed diamond instantly disintegrates, and burns off spaceman Brice’s
>> glove and fingers! He hurls himself at incredible speed towards the airlock
>> door in another section (you can only re-pressurize the airlock from within
>> the ship!)
>>
>> In the sick bay the sole surviving doctor tells Brice that although he’s
>> got a Dr. Phibes hand,
>
>Ha!!
>
>> it will heal up just fine apparently all by itself.
>> She says it’s a good thing the stuff that reacted with his hand and ate all
>> the skin off his fingers doesn’t react with human skin or he wouldn’t have
>> any skin left. Say what now?
>
>Yeah, I kind of caught that - it was just dumb...
>
>> The quasi- ginger captain gives a bunch of people five hours sleep. The
>> only woman who can fix the water reclamation device, and who clearly
>> doesn’t know English as a first language, refuses to let her crew rest.
>>
>> 2/3 of the acting Captains go to their cabin to get their five hours sleep
>> but find the blonde has taken it over for her therapy sessions which
>> include fabulous robes.
>
>Who wants some "therapy"?!! ;)
>
>Don't forget, she also pretty explicitly offered them a threesome!! To
>which Lane and Brice were disgusted by!!
>
>> One of them double bunks with the hot assistant security goon (I think),
>
>Yes - from "The Outpost"!!
>
>> and hydroponics boy gives his bunk to the other one saying he can just go
>> sleep in the mud in the dome there’s no reason for.
>>
>> They get the water reclamation unit running! But it only provides them
>> enough water for two days. So in four days they’ll all be dead. Why? Is it
>> going to fail?
>
>Yeah, I don't see how at 67% efficiency (or whatever), it's going to
>give them water for 4 days, instead of, say, 2 of the originally
>proposed 4 weeks!?!
>
>> Because she drained the cooling system the engines shut down and the ship
>> comes to a complete stop. Because that’s how it works.
>
>And she would be dumb to do that!

Especially to do something like that without at least consulting the
acting captain or the council of the doomed.

>> Ian, several scenes from the previews, weren’t actually in this weeks
>> episode, including any mention of FTL drives.
>
>Yes - the "Coming Up!" scenes at the end of the pilot were for the
>whole season, not just ep. #2.
>
>That said, I noticed that a lot of those scenes did end up coming from
>ep #2. So there's only a small scattering of scenes from later episodes
>in that "Coming up!" teaser.
>
>I hate it when Siffy doesn't offer scenes for "the next episode" at the
>end - they wouldn't do that with "The Outpost" either, and I always
>hated that. It means the network doesn't care enough about the show to
>bother the promos department to do "teaser" scenes for the next
>episode... :/
>
>> There is a scene they keep
>> showing, though where in that cryo- pod chamber, the pods themselves are
>> falling up…

Re: The snARK

<ts6pm0$16tas$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175074&group=rec.arts.tv#175074

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:06:11 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:06 UTC

On 2/10/2023 3:57 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:07:38 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-09 11:18:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>>
>>> previously on.
>>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>>
>>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>>
>> Yes, I hate this - this is a common trope among sci-fi shows written by
>> people who don't know science... That's how it works on Earth, in the
>> air or in the sea, but not in space!!
>
> It doesn't even work that way on Earth. There's some residual momentum
> in play with any large vehicle and something has big as this space
> ship should continue moving forward for quite some time if the writers
> were modeling Earth behavior. Instead it came to a dead stop even
> before the engines were turned off.

And I'm guessing came to a stop without anyone swaying to shed inertia.

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK

<1553113437.697770284.888982.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175080&group=rec.arts.tv#175080

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:28:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:28 UTC

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 04:18:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>
>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>> Let the headshaking begin.
>>
>> A space walk to see what’s hit them! A wheel section that spins for no
>> apparent reason has stress fractures on the starboard arm supports (I’m not
>> really sure how they’re defining starboard here) and pieces suddenly
>> abruptly, and without warning, snap off and fly at right angles to any
>> possible direction they should go!
>>
>> Lane, probably the top character I’m rooting for to die, takes an impact
>> from a hunk of debris bigger than him to the helmet! A similar hunk of
>> debris has speared Scholnick like a narwhale!
>>
>> In the sick bay, where it is inexplicably hot, the equally inexplicably,
>> hot soul surviving doctor does what she can. Inexplicably cute girl with
>> glasses enters and keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and
>> talking and talking and talking until they tell her to shut the hell up and
>> she leaves. Somewhere Ian is cheering.
>>
>> Multiple sequences of people running into each other in the endless
>> hallways and telling each other stuff. The other one either knows or should
>> know.
>>
>> Funeral ceremony with obligatory flashbacks. The only girl who can fix the
>> water reclamation system spits on the lifeless body of Dr. Smith. Gardner
>> guy stops them from throwing the bodies out the airlock because how could
>> anybody trained for a multi year space mission be so stupid that that’s
>> what they were going to do? After a lot of speechifying, they take a vote
>> because that’s how command decisions are made in emergency survival
>> situations and decide to toss the bodies in the composter.
>> Only the Serbian android security goon votes against that plan.
>>
>> Weird flashback to three days before the launch where Ark One is inside the
>> construction space station from Star Trek the motion picture and the crew
>> is inside the rec room from Star Trek the motion picture and they keep
>> saying how this is aboard Ark one but somehow this room didn’t make it to
>> the series. A giant hologram of the guy in charge wishes them well. He
>> looks like Robert Picardo. Now that would’ve been inspired piece of
>> casting.
>>
>> Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>> social media face of the program…
>> But five days out they’re all going into cryo- sleep for the for five years
>> of the mission, so what the hell is she going to do?
>
> And even if she is blogging at the new planet isn't everything she
> sends back going to take five years to get back to Earth?

Yep.

After all no
> one has mentioned any sort of FTL communication so

Well, maybe. Somehow they were getting messages from home. And we don’t
know what the lag was. We have no idea if they are respecting relativity or
not. I’m not even sure if they’re traveling in normal space.

they can't contact
> Earth and her blogs along with every other communication is going to
> take five years to get there and any response will take five years to
> get to them. Though they do bring up later on that she had some friend
> that was high up in the command structure that got her on board. I
> suppose that sort of thing would happen when they had hundreds of
> people assigned to the ship even though they lost most of them in the
> 'accident'.

Even though there couldn’t have been more than 50 people when they gathered
the entire ships crew together to watch the giant hologram, and the
gigantic meeting room, that apparently no longer exists for some reason.

>> Serbian robot security goon has picked up a hot assistant, whose apparent
>> only function is to stand behind him, silently, striking hot assistant,
>> security, goon poses.
> And provide cozy sleeping buddy later on.

I will give her a Rowr for that

>> In the dome that has no reason to exist, gigantic pipes under high-pressure
>> burst, shooting the 100 gallons of water into the air, where it lands upon
>> the fledgling plants that are at all times kept brilliantly lit. All of
>> this water is lost forever. I have no idea how or why. Where is it going?
>
> Well, without a reclamation system that works it's going to be lost
> into the air. So it isn't truly gone but it also isn't useful for
> keeping the people alive.

No, but they don’t have to water the tiny garden for a couple of weeks
either.

>> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation system is missing! They
>> find her crying in her bunk. The scrawny ginger Captain can’t get a rise
>> out of her. Luckily, the hot blonde is sleeping right next door and
>> together they manage to convince her to get up before they all die.
>>
>> They talk about how they used to feed the birds together before there
>> weren’t any birds anymore. Whatever is causing earth that is to become
>> earth that was must’ve happened fairly abruptly I would think.
>>
>> Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>> murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>> assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.
>
> I liked how she refused to move when Lane was leaving as though she
> was truly the tough one that was going to intimidate Lane into
> answering their questions. (Must be saving money by not giving her any
> lines.)

That’s why I wasn’t sure it was her in the bunk sequence, because she
actually spoke!

>> Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>> must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>> giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>> this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>> to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?
>>
>> The only woman who can fix the water reclamation unit returns to where they
>> keep the water reclamation unit and without checking to see what progress
>> has been made, or the status of anything proclaims to the people striving
>> to get the water reclamation unit working:
>>
>> We have to get this water reclamation unit working!
>>
>> (No shit, Sherlock.)
>>
>> Stark, check the pressure on valve 42J!
>> Novak, report on her intake two and four!
>>
>> (Because those out of nowhere instructions make perfect sense.)
>
> As much as most of the engineering instructions on Star Trek.
>
>> She proclaims only she can be in charge because she’s the most up-to-date
>> on the ships engineering! Too bad this isn’t a ship component it’s just
>> something they had in storage for planetary use that they dragged out.
>>
>> On the bridge a completely idiotic argument ensues over who should do
>> another EVA.
>>
>> The batarang isn’t on the ships manifest. It can only mean that this is the
>> murder weapon! So why not just leave it with the body?
>
> Because then they might trace it back to the owner with future tech
> forensics (though not having a forensic lab that is apparently out of
> the question.)
>
>> In the cafeteria, the ship’s thugs attack the only one who can grow them
>> food because, well, they are the ship’s thugs. The security goon starts to
>> pummel them, but he’s out numbered! His cute posing sidekick is nowhere to
>> be found! Luckily, the scrawny gingeresque captain happens to be walking
>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
>> hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
>> neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.
>
> I could see the one guy getting into a fight over something that
> stupid, but there was no reason for all of the others to join in to a
> free for all.

Clearly, he’s got a gang.

>> Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
>> wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
>> of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
>> to do it!
>>
>> Another EVA! This time they stop the wheel section from spinning. (why the
>> hell is it spinning anyway, since everybody that was on that section is
>> dead, and it’s uninhabitable?) Inside a hole in the fuselage, the space
>> walker finds a whole bunch of hunks of quartz that look like diamonds! He
>> decides to test their compressive strength to see if they really are
>> diamonds by… squeezing one with his gloved hand.
>>
>> Yuh know guys just because you saw Clark Kent do this in a SUPERMAN comic
>> book doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
>
> Hey, maybe the radiation they are being exposed to might have given
> them super strength. Only way to know is to test it out by compressing
> this unknown substance with his hand.
>
>> The crushed diamond instantly disintegrates, and burns off spaceman Brice’s
>> glove and fingers! He hurls himself at incredible speed towards the airlock
>> door in another section (you can only re-pressurize the airlock from within
>> the ship!)
>
> He did move amazingly fast to get back in despite the pain he had to
> be in.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The snARK

<513806374.697771198.978538.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175081&group=rec.arts.tv#175081

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:28:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:28 UTC

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:07:38 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-09 11:18:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>>
>>> previously on.
>>> I saw three more examples of them getting the gravity wrong.
>>>
>>> Somewhere between here and alpha Centauri, racing along at either less than
>>> the speed of light, or more than the speed of light, for some reason, it’s
>>> very hot. Also, if you turn off the engines, the ship stops dead in space.
>>
>> Yes, I hate this - this is a common trope among sci-fi shows written by
>> people who don't know science... That's how it works on Earth, in the
>> air or in the sea, but not in space!!
>
> It doesn't even work that way on Earth. There's some residual momentum
> in play with any large vehicle and something has big as this space
> ship should continue moving forward for quite some time if the writers
> were modeling Earth behavior. Instead it came to a dead stop even
> before the engines were turned off.
>

>>> Hot blonde is apparently a blogger and was put a board the ship to be the
>>> social media face of the program…
>>
>> Yep - which further confirms my contention that she should have just
>> been left out of the pilot entirely, and her "story" saved for this
>> episode #2...
>
> But then they could have had the non-naked shower scene that let us
> know just how self-centered she is.
>

>>> Lane, who should die, refuses to provide an alibi for the time of the
>>> murder of Dr. Smith, to the android, Serbian security goon, or his hot
>>> assistant, who is just posing wildly behind him.
>>
>> It should be noted, Garnet doesn't have an alibi either, and actually
>> has the strongest motive to "ice" the stowaway, because he apparently
>> knew her "deepest, darkest secret".
>>
>> Of course, this episode reveals that Garnet's almost certainly the
>> (secret) daughter of the industrialist ark-building dude that you
>> wanted played by Robert Picardo - if so, it explains why she was added
>> to the crew at the last second, and why she "knows the most about the
>> ship", as she probably helped daddy design/build the ship or
>> something...

It makes sense that Johnny Cab’s secret daughter would be an android. Not
to mention murderous.

>>> Back in the dome of lost forever water they find a batarang in the mud. It
>>> must be the murder weapon! Dumped in a tank where it made it through the
>>> giant high-pressure lines to the tiny garden, causing them to burst! Since
>>> this can’t be traced to anyone, why did they bother? If this can be traced
>>> to someone isn’t the fact that it’s missing just as big a problem?
>>>

>>> happens to be walking
>>> by, and effortlessly clobbers half a dozen guys twice her mass, mostly by
>>> hitting them over the head with food trays that must be made out of solid
>>> neutronium. Somewhere, BTR1701 quits watching in disgust.
>>>
>>> Hot assistant security gooness arrives in time to twist tie the bad guys
>>> wrists. The erstwhile ginger captain assigns the hot blonde celebrity face
>>> of the mission to talk to everybody and make them all happy. She’s the one
>>> to do it!
>>
>> Another annoying bit - Garnet keeps calling her "Dr", but they never
>> say what kind of "doctor" she is! If she's an MD, she should be helping
>> out Kabir in sickbay!! I'm guessing she's some kind of Ph.D., but they
>> never say!! If her Ph.D. is in Psych (psych!!) or something, then her
>> new job actually makes sense.
>
> Though apparently all she's done to become famous is do relationship
> shows and write a bunch of self-help books. So maybe she's a Doctor in
> the same way that Dr. Phil is a Doctor.

Hee hee

>> This would only have take one line of diagolue to explain!!
>>
>>> Another EVA! This time they stop the wheel section from spinning. (why the
>>> hell is it spinning anyway, since everybody that was on that section is
>>> dead, and it’s uninhabitable?) Inside a hole in the fuselage, the space
>>> walker finds a whole bunch of hunks of quartz that look like diamonds! He
>>> decides to test their compressive strength to see if they really are
>>> diamonds by… squeezing one with his gloved hand.
>>>
>>> Yuh know guys just because you saw Clark Kent do this in a SUPERMAN comic
>>> book doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
>>>
>>> The crushed diamond instantly disintegrates, and burns off spaceman Brice’s
>>> glove and fingers! He hurls himself at incredible speed towards the airlock
>>> door in another section (you can only re-pressurize the airlock from within
>>> the ship!)
>>>
>>> In the sick bay the sole surviving doctor tells Brice that although he’s
>>> got a Dr. Phibes hand,
>>
>> Ha!!
>>
>>> it will heal up just fine apparently all by itself.
>>> She says it’s a good thing the stuff that reacted with his hand and ate all
>>> the skin off his fingers doesn’t react with human skin or he wouldn’t have
>>> any skin left. Say what now?
>>
>> Yeah, I kind of caught that - it was just dumb...
>>
>>> The quasi- ginger captain gives a bunch of people five hours sleep. The
>>> only woman who can fix the water reclamation device, and who clearly
>>> doesn’t know English as a first language, refuses to let her crew rest.
>>>
>>> 2/3 of the acting Captains go to their cabin to get their five hours sleep
>>> but find the blonde has taken it over for her therapy sessions which
>>> include fabulous robes.
>>
>> Who wants some "therapy"?!! ;)
>>
>> Don't forget, she also pretty explicitly offered them a threesome!! To
>> which Lane and Brice were disgusted by!!
>>
>>> One of them double bunks with the hot assistant security goon (I think),
>>
>> Yes - from "The Outpost"!!
>>
>>> and hydroponics boy gives his bunk to the other one saying he can just go
>>> sleep in the mud in the dome there’s no reason for.
>>>
>>> They get the water reclamation unit running! But it only provides them
>>> enough water for two days. So in four days they’ll all be dead. Why? Is it
>>> going to fail?
>>
>> Yeah, I don't see how at 67% efficiency (or whatever), it's going to
>> give them water for 4 days, instead of, say, 2 of the originally
>> proposed 4 weeks!?!
>>
>>> Because she drained the cooling system the engines shut down and the ship
>>> comes to a complete stop. Because that’s how it works.
>>
>> And she would be dumb to do that!
>
> Especially to do something like that without at least consulting the
> acting captain or the council of the doomed.

Certainly that’s something that deserves tossing her out the airlock, or at
least into the composter.

>>> Ian, several scenes from the previews, weren’t actually in this weeks
>>> episode, including any mention of FTL drives.
>>
>> Yes - the "Coming Up!" scenes at the end of the pilot were for the
>> whole season, not just ep. #2.
>>
>> That said, I noticed that a lot of those scenes did end up coming from
>> ep #2. So there's only a small scattering of scenes from later episodes
>> in that "Coming up!" teaser.
>>
>> I hate it when Siffy doesn't offer scenes for "the next episode" at the
>> end - they wouldn't do that with "The Outpost" either, and I always
>> hated that. It means the network doesn't care enough about the show to
>> bother the promos department to do "teaser" scenes for the next
>> episode... :/
>>
>>> There is a scene they keep
>>> showing, though where in that cryo- pod chamber, the pods themselves are
>>> falling up…

Re: The snARK

<3d3euhpmrk4o2esonujsfvfik6e1i14ta8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175091&group=rec.arts.tv#175091

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 22:38:42 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 03:38 UTC

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:06:11 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 2/10/2023 3:57 PM, shawn wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 06:07:38 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, I hate this - this is a common trope among sci-fi shows written by
>>> people who don't know science... That's how it works on Earth, in the
>>> air or in the sea, but not in space!!
>>
>> It doesn't even work that way on Earth. There's some residual momentum
>> in play with any large vehicle and something has big as this space
>> ship should continue moving forward for quite some time if the writers
>> were modeling Earth behavior. Instead it came to a dead stop even
>> before the engines were turned off.
>>
>And I'm guessing came to a stop without anyone swaying to shed inertia.

True. I hadn't considered that if what they said happened, actually
happened they should all be paste now.

Re: The snARK

<ts749o$1an0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175096&group=rec.arts.tv#175096

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 20:07:23 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:07 UTC

On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>
> previously on.

Okay, I've watched the first episode of this and am in the middle of the
second. Not only is this a rancid onion emitting soap bubbles of
flaming stupidity, its a TEENAGE ANGST rancid onion emitting soap
bubbles of flaming stupidity on a bed of spaghetti! One and a half and
done. *plonk*

dirty old man.

Re: The snARK

<511983231.697779630.929962.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175098&group=rec.arts.tv#175098

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:25:26 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:25 UTC

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 17:06:11 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/2023 3:57 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> It doesn't even work that way on Earth. There's some residual momentum
>>> in play with any large vehicle and something has big as this space
>>> ship should continue moving forward for quite some time if the writers
>>> were modeling Earth behavior. Instead it came to a dead stop even
>>> before the engines were turned off.
>>>
>> And I'm guessing came to a stop without anyone swaying to shed inertia.
>
> True. I hadn't considered that if what they said happened, actually
> happened they should all be paste now.

If you can catch a guy hurtling past you with a giant piece of ship
structure through his torso, you can survive the ship stopping dead, no
matter which of the six directions of gravity are working on you at the
moment.

Re: The snARK

<ts78pj$nikt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175111&group=rec.arts.tv#175111

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:24:03 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:24 UTC

On 2/10/2023 8:07 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>
>> previously on.
>
> Okay, I've watched the first episode of this and am in the middle of the
> second.  Not only is this a rancid onion emitting soap bubbles of
> flaming stupidity, its a TEENAGE ANGST rancid onion emitting soap
> bubbles of flaming stupidity on a bed of spaghetti!  One and a half and
> done.  *plonk*

I watched about 15-20 minutes of the first episode and decided that was
more than enought for me. I could see it was going into the teenage/YA
angst.

Re: The snARK

<ts7btr$1bgei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175114&group=rec.arts.tv#175114

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 22:17:31 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 06:17 UTC

On 2023-02-11 05:24:03 +0000, suzeeq said:

> On 2/10/2023 8:07 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>>
>>> previously on.
>>
>> Okay, I've watched the first episode of this and am in the middle of
>> the second.  Not only is this a rancid onion emitting soap bubbles of
>> flaming stupidity, its a TEENAGE ANGST rancid onion emitting soap
>> bubbles of flaming stupidity on a bed of spaghetti!  One and a half and
>> done.  *plonk*
>>
> I watched about 15-20 minutes of the first episode and decided that was
> more than enought for me. I could see it was going into the teenage/YA
> angst.

You're making the same mistake Reddit did - with only one, possible
two, exceptions, no one is a "teenager" or "YA" on this show. Reece
Ritchie (Lt. Lane) is over 35. The guy who plays Brice must be over 30
(he's 33). My guess is that Christie Burke, who plays Lt. Garnet, is
around 30 (she's also 33). Even Christina Wolfe, who I figured was late
20s, is also early 30s.

The Serbian cast all look to be older than that. Tiana Upcheva is
probably around 30, but I can't find her age.

Re: The snARK

<1564378736.697796072.722913.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175124&group=rec.arts.tv#175124

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:29:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 08:29 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
> On 2/10/2023 8:07 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 2/9/2023 3:18 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> S01E02 “ like It Touched the Sun“.
>>>
>>> previously on.
>>
>> Okay, I've watched the first episode of this and am in the middle of the
>> second.  Not only is this a rancid onion emitting soap bubbles of
>> flaming stupidity, its a TEENAGE ANGST rancid onion emitting soap
>> bubbles of flaming stupidity on a bed of spaghetti!  One and a half and
>> done.  *plonk*
>>
> I watched about 15-20 minutes of the first episode and decided that was
> more than enought for me. I could see it was going into the teenage/YA
> angst.

Robin quit like three episodes into the pilot setting a new record for her.

Re: The snARK

<871125731.697796405.591756.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175125&group=rec.arts.tv#175125

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 01:29:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 08:29 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-02-11 05:24:03 +0000, suzeeq said:

>>> Okay, I've watched the first episode of this and am in the middle of
>>> the second.  Not only is this a rancid onion emitting soap bubbles of
>>> flaming stupidity, its a TEENAGE ANGST rancid onion emitting soap
>>> bubbles of flaming stupidity on a bed of spaghetti!  One and a half and
>>> done.  *plonk*
>>>
>> I watched about 15-20 minutes of the first episode and decided that was
>> more than enought for me. I could see it was going into the teenage/YA
>> angst.
>
> You're making the same mistake Reddit did - with only one, possible
> two, exceptions, no one is a "teenager" or "YA" on this show. Reece
> Ritchie (Lt. Lane) is over 35. The guy who plays Brice must be over 30
> (he's 33). My guess is that Christie Burke, who plays Lt. Garnet, is
> around 30 (she's also 33). Even Christina Wolfe, who I figured was late
> 20s, is also early 30s.
>
> The Serbian cast all look to be older than that. Tiana Upcheva is
> probably around 30, but I can't find her age.

The cute girl with the glasses was playing a high school student for years
ago. She could be a teenager in real life and almost certainly is on the
show. But when I asked IMDb how old she was, it told me Stacy dash was 56
and I got depressed.

Her erstwhile, love interest, green thumb guy, wasn’t even acting two years
ago and still lives with his mother.