Rome wasn't burnt in a day.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionRobert Carnegie
> [...]
 | |  | `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionQuadibloc
 | |  |  +- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJ. Clarke
 | |  |  `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJay E. Morris
 | |  `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionPaul S Person
 | |   `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionRobert Woodward
 | |    `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionPaul S Person
 | +- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionQuadibloc
 | +* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDimensional Traveler
 | |`- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDavid Brown
 | `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionMagewolf
 `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJerry Brown

Pages:1234
Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<XnsAD70A75264DB0taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57510&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57510

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:26:54 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 23:26 UTC

Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>In article <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad>,
>>Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>>Wasn't that the one where the high point was the Denise
>>>Richards shower scene?
>>>
>>>https://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/starship-troopers-shower-scene-
>>>fascism/
>>
>>That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made
>>the point that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>>
>>I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the
>>book, but was OK for what it was.
>
> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from
> the book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from
> the book.

"Based on the title of a popular novel we haven't read, but were
told to hate."

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<im13muFk1lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57512&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57512

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Jul 2021 00:03:42 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 00:03 UTC

In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
><tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>In article <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad>,
>>Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>>Wasn't that the one where the high point was the Denise Richards
>>>shower scene?
>>>
>>>https://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/starship-troopers-shower-scene-fascism/
>>
>>That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>>that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>>
>>I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>>but was OK for what it was.
>
>It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.

Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
I could have said "essentially nothing".

I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
seen the "All You Zombies" one).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<sdflju$j6k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57513&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57513

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:07:28 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 00:07 UTC

On 7/23/2021 3:57 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>> In article <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad>,
>> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> Wasn't that the one where the high point was the Denise Richards
>>> shower scene?
>>>
>>> https://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/starship-troopers-shower-scene-fascism/
>>
>> That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>> that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>>
>> I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>> but was OK for what it was.
>
> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.

There's a reason the movie had so little to do with the book. The
script had been written and they were well into pre-production when one
of the producers found out that the movie rights to the book were
available pretty cheap. So they bought the rights so they could name
the movie 'Starship Troopers' to cash in on the name recognition. The
movie was never intended to actually BE a film adaptation of the book.

--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<sdg0mm$7hp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57523&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57523

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 22:16:27 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 03:16 UTC

On 7/23/2021 7:03 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
> Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:

>>> That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>>> that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>>>
>>> I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>>> but was OK for what it was.
>>
>> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.
>>

> Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
> I could have said "essentially nothing".
>
> I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
> seen the "All You Zombies" one).

Interesting. I had no idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Lynn

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<im1ganF2s1hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57524&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57524

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Jul 2021 03:39:04 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 03:39 UTC

In article <sdg0mm$7hp$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 7/23/2021 7:03 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
>> Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>>> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>>> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.
>>>

>> Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
>> I could have said "essentially nothing".
>>
>> I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
>> seen the "All You Zombies" one).
>
>Interesting. I had no idea.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Come to think of it, I've never seen Destination Moon either.

Cool song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbc6jz24QH0
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<30jnfghqdn31krku1016o67dji1k1dnkoi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57531&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57531

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 04:17:36 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:17 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 22:16:27 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/23/2021 7:03 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
>> Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>>> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>>> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.
>>>

>> Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
>> I could have said "essentially nothing".
>>
>> I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
>> seen the "All You Zombies" one).
>
>Interesting. I had no idea.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Predestination was the closest to Heinlein's story. The problem I had
with "Puppet Masters" was that they chose to make it a present-day
story--it lost Heinlein's future. Of course to tell that story right
it would have had to be x-rated.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<oCVKI.8713$yU3.1393@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57551&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57551

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:39:16 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:39 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
>Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>><tednolan>) wrote:

>Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
>I could have said "essentially nothing".
>
>I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
>seen the "All You Zombies" one).

I thought _Puppet Masters_ was closer to the actual book than
most adaptations (absent the nudity, anyway).

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<im2ngkFamlkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57553&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57553

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Jul 2021 14:47:48 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:47 UTC

In article <oCVKI.8713$yU3.1393@fx05.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>>In article <b8imfgpgd39rb2didao74li7qnqermuj47@4ax.com>,
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <misenchantedpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>>><tednolan>) wrote:
>

>>Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
>>I could have said "essentially nothing".
>>
>>I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
>>seen the "All You Zombies" one).
>
>I thought _Puppet Masters_ was closer to the actual book than
>most adaptations (absent the nudity, anyway).

Interesting, very Hollywood, story of the script here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070218211614/http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp15.Building.the.Bomb.html

Building the Bomb
Screenwriting Column 15
by Terry Rossio

A screenwriter wrote to me marveling that my name is in the
writing credits of the god-awful 1994-released film Robert
A. Heinlein's THE PUPPET MASTERS. After all, I seem like a
sensible enough guy, and yet the film is piss-poor terrible.
He was quite relieved to find out I know quite well that
the movie is awful. So here's how THE PUPPET MASTERS came
to be. Let it serve as an illustrative example, a case study
in the Hollywood development process. In its death, then,
perhaps the film can find some meaning -- perhaps it can
do some good. Besides, you guys need to know what you're
getting into.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<bb3edcb2-f1fc-47e4-ad9f-8977025418d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57561&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57561

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:50 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> Come to think of it, I've never seen Destination Moon either.
>
> Cool song though
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbc6jz24QH0

I'm picturing that as the theme song and Maurice Binder 007-style opening credits.
In 1950?
Well, they're just silhouettes, maybe Walter Lantz can animate them.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<8uhofghbov8025gdnaravplg3vq3jup3kr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57563&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57563

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:05:39 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:05 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:07:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 7/23/2021 3:57 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:

>>> That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>>> that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>>>
>>> I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>>> but was OK for what it was.
>>
>> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.
>>
>There's a reason the movie had so little to do with the book. The
>script had been written and they were well into pre-production when one
>of the producers found out that the movie rights to the book were
>available pretty cheap. So they bought the rights so they could name
>the movie 'Starship Troopers' to cash in on the name recognition. The
>movie was never intended to actually BE a film adaptation of the book.

So, the story is that, /just by coincidence/, they wrote a script with
Heinlein's character names and, more to the point, /very big bugs/ as
enemies, and then decided to license the name?

Or did they actually /rewrite/ the script to use Heinlein's character
names and change the original monsters to Heinlein's?

IOW, did they actually do an adaptation by changing their plans to
include elements from the book?
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<k5iofgp3q67ai3j0ili5vt8v5uai97ib0f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57564&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57564

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:07:52 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:07 UTC

<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad>,
>Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> writes:

>>>IIRC, I have read/heard in a special feature that it was intended to
>>>be an anti-war film, with the opening sequence explicitly based on
>>>Nazi propaganda films.
>>>
>>>The movie was ... not that good, actually. I would say it was a "war
>>>film". I would not say it was "entertaining". IMHO, of course.
>>
>>Wasn't that the one where the high point was the Denise Richards
>>shower scene?
>>
>>https://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/starship-troopers-shower-scene-fascism/
>
>That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>
>I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>but was OK for what it was.

It was Hollywood.

Girls in the Space Infantry -- you can hear Heinlein's coffin rotating
every time the film is viewed.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<sdhnkg$3n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57572&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57572

From: Magew...@nc.rr.com (Magewolf)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:54:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Magewolf - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:54 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:05:39 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:07:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 7/23/2021 3:57 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

>>> It wasn't NOTHING to do with the book; there were three or four
>>> scenes, even a couple of lines of dialogue, that were taken from the
>>> book. They were presented sarcastically, but they were from the book.
>>>
>>There's a reason the movie had so little to do with the book. The
>>script had been written and they were well into pre-production when one
>>of the producers found out that the movie rights to the book were
>>available pretty cheap. So they bought the rights so they could name
>>the movie 'Starship Troopers' to cash in on the name recognition. The
>>movie was never intended to actually BE a film adaptation of the book.
>
> So, the story is that, /just by coincidence/, they wrote a script with
> Heinlein's character names and, more to the point, /very big bugs/ as
> enemies, and then decided to license the name?
>
> Or did they actually /rewrite/ the script to use Heinlein's character
> names and change the original monsters to Heinlein's?
>
> IOW, did they actually do an adaptation by changing their plans to
> include elements from the book?

As I remember it,someone reading over the script pointed out that it was
close enough to Troopers(by complete accident,somehow) that they were in
danger of getting sued so they needed to make changes. Instead they
bought the rights and changed a few names and such.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<dH%KI.8718$yU3.178@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57586&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57586

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:34:01 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:34 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>In article <oCVKI.8713$yU3.1393@fx05.iad>,
>Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>>

>>>Yes, I realize that. Especially the recruiting seargeant iirc. I suppose
>>>I could have said "essentially nothing".
>>>
>>>I have to say I enjoyed it more than the Donald Sutherland one. (I haven't
>>>seen the "All You Zombies" one).
>>
>>I thought _Puppet Masters_ was closer to the actual book than
>>most adaptations (absent the nudity, anyway).
>
>Interesting, very Hollywood, story of the script here:
>
>https://web.archive.org/web/20070218211614/http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp15.Building.the.Bomb.html
>
> Building the Bomb

maybe it's time I rewatch it; memory can be fickle.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<robertaw-BEFAA2.21580124072021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57606&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57606

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:58:01 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:58 UTC

In article <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0ili5vt8v5uai97ib0f@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
> >In article <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad>,
> >Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:

> >>Wasn't that the one where the high point was the Denise Richards
> >>shower scene?
> >>
> >>https://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/starship-troopers-shower-scene-fascism/
> >
> >That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
> >that these people were not 20th century Americans.
> >
> >I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
> >but was OK for what it was.
>
> It was Hollywood.
>
> Girls in the Space Infantry -- you can hear Heinlein's coffin rotating
> every time the film is viewed.

Joe Haldeman had girls in Space Infantry and Heinlein did not objection
(besides, wasn't Heinlein cremated and ashes scattered in the Pacific
Ocean?).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<573qfghe9i6psliu2fk5jb29jn93jps69r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57609&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57609

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 03:08:31 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:08 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:58:01 -0700, Robert Woodward
<robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>In article <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0ili5vt8v5uai97ib0f@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Jul 2021 16:53:57 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:

>> >That was a nice scene. You got nice eye-candy, and it also made the point
>> >that these people were not 20th century Americans.
>> >
>> >I found the movie entertaining -- it had nothing to do with the book,
>> >but was OK for what it was.
>>
>> It was Hollywood.
>>
>> Girls in the Space Infantry -- you can hear Heinlein's coffin rotating
>> every time the film is viewed.
>
>Joe Haldeman had girls in Space Infantry and Heinlein did not objection
>(besides, wasn't Heinlein cremated and ashes scattered in the Pacific
>Ocean?).

It's the 21st century, the _infantry_ has girls in the infantry. And
many heads are exploding over it.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<im4ir3FluraU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57610&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57610

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 25 Jul 2021 07:40:19 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:40 UTC

In article <bb3edcb2-f1fc-47e4-ad9f-8977025418d8n@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> Come to think of it, I've never seen Destination Moon either.
>>
>> Cool song though
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbc6jz24QH0
>
>I'm picturing that as the theme song and Maurice Binder 007-style
>opening credits.
>In 1950?
>Well, they're just silhouettes, maybe Walter Lantz can animate them.

He could rotoscope them, though I would rather Tex Avery use silhouettes
of "Red".
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<bc17f3ab-2dbd-48e4-9d97-dafb0a1dd881n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57612&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57612

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:48 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 2:17:40 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
> Of course to tell that story right
> it would have had to be x-rated.

I was going to say, surely you mean R-rated, but then I
remembered that the rating which is now NC-17 has
"constant nudity" as one possible criterion.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<ed585047-2a48-4d6f-9c43-c0c1dae250d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57614&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57614

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:52 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11:06:13 AM UTC-6, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:07:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >There's a reason the movie had so little to do with the book. The
> >script had been written and they were well into pre-production when one
> >of the producers found out that the movie rights to the book were
> >available pretty cheap. So they bought the rights so they could name
> >the movie 'Starship Troopers' to cash in on the name recognition. The
> >movie was never intended to actually BE a film adaptation of the book.

> So, the story is that, /just by coincidence/, they wrote a script with
> Heinlein's character names and, more to the point, /very big bugs/ as
> enemies, and then decided to license the name?

> Or did they actually /rewrite/ the script to use Heinlein's character
> names and change the original monsters to Heinlein's?

If the situation he describes is accurate, I'm sure that your second alternative
would have been what would have had to happen. But I had thought the movie
was intended from the very beginning as a satire on facism, to hear those
responsible talking about it.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<5ec0db48-117b-4a44-baaa-46c30cd0dbf6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57615&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57615

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:54 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 10:58:05 PM UTC-6, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0i...@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <pspe...@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:

> > Girls in the Space Infantry -- you can hear Heinlein's coffin rotating
> > every time the film is viewed.

> Joe Haldeman had girls in Space Infantry and Heinlein did not objection

That's all very well, but indeed in Starship Troopers (the original book)
it was specifically noted that the women were separated from the male
non-coms quite rigidly on board ship. So that was a significant departure
from the book.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<1bf96ee1-5af1-4846-bfe6-39405da80317n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57616&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57616

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:58 UTC

On Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 1:08:34 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:

> It's the 21st century, the _infantry_ has girls in the infantry. And
> many heads are exploding over it.

Well,

1) It exposes them to a risk of sexual assault.

2) The question is raised of whether the country is now incapable of
defending itself, because it wouild be logically forced to conscript
women in the event of a new major war, but be still culturally
unprepared to do so.

I mean, although the supporters of Donald Trump have behaved
very badly of late, their side to the culture war is not without its
point. Progress towards equality has taken place *in some areas*
(even if not the ones that really count) at a dizzying pace, heedlessly
of any possible consequences.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<otmqfgldpootf040n8blu8sdk9gij22h3c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57620&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57620

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <43f55b42-e1b3-4bb6-96d8-2825fe11306en@googlegroups.com> <341c36e7-cb54-4103-8dc0-7506b93d117dn@googlegroups.com> <6jplfgt8fjoblo49qqr1lrm6h9om3a0dkj@4ax.com> <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad> <im0ah4Fq7fqU1@mid.individual.net> <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0ili5vt8v5uai97ib0f@4ax.com> <robertaw-BEFAA2.21580124072021@news.individual.net> <573qfghe9i6psliu2fk5jb29jn93jps69r@4ax.com> <1bf96ee1-5af1-4846-bfe6-39405da80317n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 08:43:30 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 12:43 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:58:01 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 1:08:34 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> It's the 21st century, the _infantry_ has girls in the infantry. And
>> many heads are exploding over it.
>
>Well,
>
>1) It exposes them to a risk of sexual assault.

So it's OK for men to be exposed to risk of sexual assault? And is
that really worse than the risk of death?

>2) The question is raised of whether the country is now incapable of
>defending itself, because it wouild be logically forced to conscript
>women in the event of a new major war, but be still culturally
>unprepared to do so.

It isn't required to put women in the infantry who can't complete the
training, and most apparently can't.

>I mean, although the supporters of Donald Trump have behaved
>very badly of late, their side to the culture war is not without its
>point. Progress towards equality has taken place *in some areas*
>(even if not the ones that really count) at a dizzying pace, heedlessly
>of any possible consequences.

I don't recall equality for women being an issue at any time during
the Trump administration. Gay marriage yes, trans soldiers yes, but
not women.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<v3nqfg5e14tkp59sovcqra2i2ss6l5nrpp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57621&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57621

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 08:44:44 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 12:44 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:54:15 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 10:58:05 PM UTC-6, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0i...@4ax.com>,
>> Paul S Person <pspe...@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>> > Girls in the Space Infantry -- you can hear Heinlein's coffin rotating
>> > every time the film is viewed.
>
>> Joe Haldeman had girls in Space Infantry and Heinlein did not objection
>
>That's all very well, but indeed in Starship Troopers (the original book)
>it was specifically noted that the women were separated from the male
>non-coms quite rigidly on board ship. So that was a significant departure
>from the book.

No, women in the Navy were separated from men in the MI.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<3aaabe56-c973-4f88-b137-24284629df6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57627&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57627

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:13 UTC

On Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 6:43:33 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:58:01 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> >1) It exposes them to a risk of sexual assault.

> So it's OK for men to be exposed to risk of sexual assault?

No, but it seems reasonable to suspect that under normal
wartime conditions, the risk to women is orders of magnitude
higher.

It's the _prison system_ that poses an unacceptable risk of
men being subjected to sexual assault that needs to be
addressed.

> And is
> that really worse than the risk of death?

Death comes to us all eventually. Rape, on the other hand, is
a profoundly unnatural crime of torture that at least in some
cases devastates its victims for a lifetime.

And our culture is such that the emotionally natural response to
such incidents... is genocide. Thus, it has the potential for creating
complications of troop misbehavior on our own side that are best
avoided.

> >2) The question is raised of whether the country is now incapable of
> >defending itself, because it wouild be logically forced to conscript
> >women in the event of a new major war, but be still culturally
> >unprepared to do so.

> It isn't required to put women in the infantry who can't complete the
> training, and most apparently can't.

I'm not sure that numbers are the problem here.

> >I mean, although the supporters of Donald Trump have behaved
> >very badly of late, their side to the culture war is not without its
> >point. Progress towards equality has taken place *in some areas*
> >(even if not the ones that really count) at a dizzying pace, heedlessly
> >of any possible consequences.

> I don't recall equality for women being an issue at any time during
> the Trump administration. Gay marriage yes, trans soldiers yes, but
> not women.

Stuff like security around women's locker rooms and washrooms, or
fairness for female athletes, are still apparently valid objections to some
aspects of the struggle for equality for those who are trans.

This is another example of how the struggle for equality has gotten ahead
of what our culture can cope with.

Equality for women is not, _in itself_, controversial, but just as it has had
some controversial consequences, like legalizing abortion, it has the
potential for others in connection with conscription - this was noted in
connection with the substance of Starship Troopers, _not_ due to any
recent events under the Trump administration.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<ed87f8e8-dbff-4c01-a278-e0f099881a95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57628&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57628

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:16 UTC

On Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 6:44:46 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:54:15 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> >That's all very well, but indeed in Starship Troopers (the original book)
> >it was specifically noted that the women were separated from the male
> >non-coms quite rigidly on board ship. So that was a significant departure
> >from the book.

> No, women in the Navy were separated from men in the MI.

I don't recall the Marine Infantry in the novel Starship Troopers having female
members (at least ones who weren't separated from the men in that way), but
then it's been a while since I read the book.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<g8tqfgpeujploe1bieb8vtfe9trg1sshsa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57629&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57629

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
References: <341c36e7-cb54-4103-8dc0-7506b93d117dn@googlegroups.com> <6jplfgt8fjoblo49qqr1lrm6h9om3a0dkj@4ax.com> <N3CKI.7894$Pn7.7781@fx16.iad> <im0ah4Fq7fqU1@mid.individual.net> <k5iofgp3q67ai3j0ili5vt8v5uai97ib0f@4ax.com> <robertaw-BEFAA2.21580124072021@news.individual.net> <5ec0db48-117b-4a44-baaa-46c30cd0dbf6n@googlegroups.com> <v3nqfg5e14tkp59sovcqra2i2ss6l5nrpp@4ax.com> <ed87f8e8-dbff-4c01-a278-e0f099881a95n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:30:14 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:30 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 6:44:46 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:54:15 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
>> <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> >That's all very well, but indeed in Starship Troopers (the original book)
>> >it was specifically noted that the women were separated from the male
>> >non-coms quite rigidly on board ship. So that was a significant departure
>> >from the book.
>
>> No, women in the Navy were separated from men in the MI.
>
>I don't recall the Marine Infantry in the novel Starship Troopers having female
>members (at least ones who weren't separated from the men in that way), but
>then it's been a while since I read the book.

The Navy was female (on that ship anyway), the MI was male.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion