The days are all empty and the nights are unreal.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionRobert Carnegie
> [...]
 | |  | `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionQuadibloc
 | |  |  +- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJ. Clarke
 | |  |  `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJay E. Morris
 | |  `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionPaul S Person
 | |   `* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionRobert Woodward
 | |    `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionPaul S Person
 | +- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionQuadibloc
 | +* Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDimensional Traveler
 | |`- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionDavid Brown
 | `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionMagewolf
 `- Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religionJerry Brown

Pages:1234
Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<391c00d4-4936-4dc4-bcc1-a3bcbfb914b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57929&group=rec.arts.sf.written#57929

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 13:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:50 UTC

On Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 11:10:35 AM UTC-5, Paul S Person wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2021 17:04:37 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
> >In article <28cd12e1-f56d-4071...@googlegroups.com>,
> >Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>The only even secondhand account I can put my hand on is illustrator
> >>Vincent Di Fate, who got to have meetings with Campbell. Campbell
> >>brought up "Who Goes There?" as part of a point he was making, Di Fate
> >>asked his opinion on the movie, which was mostly regret that it lost the
> >>most important idea of the story. Now that was just hearsay, and may
> >>have missed nuances of talking around a complex reality, but there was
> >>no mention of lawsuit.
> >>
> >>(Ray Bradbury did respond to his stories being plagiarized into comics
> >>form, but in a low-key manner:
> >>https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-146/
> >>which seems in accord with his "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" response.)
> >>

> >"Dark Star" clearly plagiarized Bradbury's "Kaleidoscope" and as far as
> >I can tell, there's still no official acknowledgement of it.
> First, the film is a satire. This (IIRC) is a "reasonable use"
> exception to copyright (note: IANAL).
>
> Second, the ending may be similar, but what about the rest of the
> film?
>
> Third, when, exactly, do they get "millions of miles" away from each
> other?
>
> OK, one of them joins the Phoenix Asteroids, but another is sent forth
> in a block of ice, and one surfs down into the atmosphere of a planet.

"I've got a piece of junk, and I think I've figured out a way!"

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<sfmndq$61h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59414&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59414

From: mvp...@shell.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:53:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:53 UTC

In article <5kiefghbrna0cercftclgejtou31p7j070@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
><https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
>
>?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
>rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
>stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
>do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
>considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"

Is that a Heinlen Direct quote or a Lazarus Long Notebook
quote? It makes a difference... Heinlein may not completely
have shared every opinion of every one of his characters.
Not even his heros.

Though it does seem like a plausible Heinlein quote.

I wonder to what extent he included himself in "most people"
here? In "Tramp Royale", he recounted how he told someone
in some country he visited that he an Ginny were Methodists.

His belives were certainly nowhere near anything orthodox,
as near as I can tell, even by the most liberal Methodist
standards.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<kp3uhg1ekhlctlrm9474ks2h4o4eclhrg4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59418&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59418

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:14:38 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 02:14 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:53:46 -0000 (UTC), mvp@shell.calweb.com (Mike
Van Pelt) wrote:

>In article <5kiefghbrna0cercftclgejtou31p7j070@4ax.com>,
>J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>>With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
>><https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
>>
>>?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
>>rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
>>stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
>>do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
>>considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"
>
>Is that a Heinlen Direct quote or a Lazarus Long Notebook
>quote? It makes a difference... Heinlein may not completely
>have shared every opinion of every one of his characters.
>Not even his heros.

I don't recall the exact source but I believe it was one of his
"History and Moral Philosophy" professors or other character in a
similar role.

>Though it does seem like a plausible Heinlein quote.
>
>I wonder to what extent he included himself in "most people"
>here? In "Tramp Royale", he recounted how he told someone
>in some country he visited that he an Ginny were Methodists.
>
>His belives were certainly nowhere near anything orthodox,
>as near as I can tell, even by the most liberal Methodist
>standards.

There are a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who I am pretty sure think I
am an Islamic terrorist. Sometimes the easiest way to get people to
STFU is to tell them what they want to hear.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<l29uhg1l58jp0ca55odpl7n3oh6pa4t3mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59422&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59422

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:41:39 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 03:41 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:14:38 -0400, J. Clarke
<jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:53:46 -0000 (UTC), mvp@shell.calweb.com (Mike
>Van Pelt) wrote:
>
>>In article <5kiefghbrna0cercftclgejtou31p7j070@4ax.com>,
>>J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
>>><https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
>>>
>>>?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
>>>rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
>>>stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
>>>do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
>>>considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"
>>
>>Is that a Heinlen Direct quote or a Lazarus Long Notebook
>>quote? It makes a difference... Heinlein may not completely
>>have shared every opinion of every one of his characters.
>>Not even his heros.
>
>I don't recall the exact source but I believe it was one of his
>"History and Moral Philosophy" professors or other character in a
>similar role.
>
>>Though it does seem like a plausible Heinlein quote.
>>
>>I wonder to what extent he included himself in "most people"
>>here? In "Tramp Royale", he recounted how he told someone
>>in some country he visited that he an Ginny were Methodists.
>>
>>His belives were certainly nowhere near anything orthodox,
>>as near as I can tell, even by the most liberal Methodist
>>standards.
>
>There are a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who I am pretty sure think I
>am an Islamic terrorist. Sometimes the easiest way to get people to
>STFU is to tell them what they want to hear.

However in the case of the witlesses, scaring the crap out of them
worked.

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<c4cc1792-e1d4-4002-b571-b2148f91e0c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59423&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59423

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 20:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 03:52 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 10:14:44 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:53:46 -0000 (UTC), m...@shell.calweb.com (Mike
> Van Pelt) wrote:
>
> >In article <5kiefghbrna0cercf...@4ax.com>,
> >J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
> >><https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
> >>
> >>?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
> >>rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
> >>stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
> >>do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
> >>considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"
> >
> >Is that a Heinlen Direct quote or a Lazarus Long Notebook
> >quote? It makes a difference... Heinlein may not completely
> >have shared every opinion of every one of his characters.
> >Not even his heros.
> I don't recall the exact source but I believe it was one of his
> "History and Moral Philosophy" professors or other character in a
> similar role.
> >Though it does seem like a plausible Heinlein quote.

It's Lazarus Long. I'm certain enough to not check, but I'm sure.

Pt

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<a9e5b1c7-8f2e-4ef8-b52b-17e5847b25bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59432&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59432

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:52 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 9:52:35 PM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> It's Lazarus Long. I'm certain enough to not check, but I'm sure.

It certainly sounds like him to me. The dandruff part would not be in a
Heinlein direct quote.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<0213717c-7459-4184-a4a2-5620937007a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59433&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59433

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:55:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:55 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 11:52:38 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

> > It's Lazarus Long. I'm certain enough to not check, but I'm sure.

> It certainly sounds like him to me. The dandruff part would not be in a
> Heinlein direct quote.

However, to satisfy others, I used Google Books to check - and the quote is
in Time Enough for Love, and also The Notebooks of Lazarus Long.

John Savard

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<4ef76fa5-5378-48e0-a08b-856151f80b6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59454&group=rec.arts.sf.written#59454

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:34:05 -0700 (PDT)
References: <43f55b42-e1b3-4bb6-96d8-2825fe11306en@googlegroups.com> <5762856b-16b2-4db4-ad3a-b10eb4d4fd15n@googlegroups.com> <5kiefghbrna0cercftclgejtou31p7j070@4ax.com> <sfmndq$61h$2@dont-email.me> <kp3uhg1ekhlctlrm9474ks2h4o4eclhrg4@4ax.com> <c4cc1792-e1d4-4002-b571-b2148f91e0c1n@googlegroups.com> <a9e5b1c7-8f2e-4ef8-b52b-17e5847b25bbn@googlegroups.com> <0213717c-7459-4184-a4a2-5620937007a9n@googlegroups.com>
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:34 UTC

On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 1:55:25 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

> > > It's Lazarus Long. I'm certain enough to not check, but I'm sure.
>
> > It certainly sounds like him to me. The dandruff part would not be in a
> > Heinlein direct quote.
> However, to satisfy others, I used Google Books to check - and the quote is
> in Time Enough for Love, and also The Notebooks of Lazarus Long.

The Notebooks are excerpts from TEFL.

Pt