Always think of something new; this helps you forget your last rotten idea. -- Seth Frankel

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Q for the FONT

SubjectAuthor
* Q for the FONTTurby
+* Q for the FONTsiwilson
|`- Q for the FONTwessie
+* Q for the FONTogden
|`* Q for the FONTTurby
| +* Q for the FONTcrn
| |`* Q for the FONTTurby
| | `* Q for the FONTYTC#1
| |  `- Q for the FONTTurby
| +* Q for the FONTStephen Packer
| |`* Q for the FONTMark Olson
| | +- Q for the FONTBruce Horrocks
| | `* Q for the FONTTurby
| |  +* Q for the FONTogden
| |  |+- Q for the FONTwessie
| |  |`* Q for the FONTTurby
| |  | +- Q for the FONTDave Brown
| |  | `* Q for the FONTBruce Horrocks
| |  |  +- Q for the FONTSqirrel99
| |  |  `* Q for the FONTChamp
| |  |   `* Q for the FONTMark Olson
| |  |    `* Q for the FONTMike Fleming
| |  |     `- Q for the FONTChamp
| |  `- Q for the FONTMark Olson
| +* Q for the FONTogden
| |`* Q for the FONTTurby
| | `- Q for the FONTogden
| +* Q for the FONTAce
| |`* Q for the FONTTurby
| | +- Q for the FONTwessie
| | +- Q for the FONTMark Olson
| | `* Q for the FONTAce
| |  `* Q for the FONTTurby
| |   +- Q for the FONTogden
| |   +* Q for the FONTwessie
| |   |`- Q for the FONTTurby
| |   +* Q for the FONTMark Roberts
| |   |`- Q for the FONTTurby
| |   +* Q for the FONTMike Fleming
| |   |+* Q for the FONTTurby
| |   ||`* Q for the FONTogden
| |   || `* Q for the FONTTurby
| |   ||  `* Q for the FONTMike Fleming
| |   ||   `- Q for the FONTTurby
| |   |`* Q for the FONTsleazy
| |   | `* Q for the FONTSqirrel99
| |   |  `* Q for the FONTsleazy
| |   |   +- Q for the FONTMark Olson
| |   |   `* Q for the FONTMike Fleming
| |   |    +* Q for the FONTsleazy
| |   |    |+* Q for the FONTMark Olson
| |   |    ||`* Q for the FONTsleazy
| |   |    || +- Q for the FONTChamp
| |   |    || `- Q for the FONTMark Olson
| |   |    |`- Q for the FONTChamp
| |   |    `* Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
| |   |     `* Q for the FONTsweller
| |   |      +- Q for the FONTsleazy
| |   |      +- Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
| |   |      `* Q for the FONTTurby
| |   |       +- Q for the FONTMark Olson
| |   |       `- Q for the FONTChamp
| |   `* Q for the FONTAce
| |    `- Q for the FONTChamp
| `* Q for the FONTYTC#1
|  `* Q for the FONTTurby
|   `* Q for the FONTYTC#1
|    `* Q for the FONTStephen Packer
|     +* Q for the FONTChamp
|     |`* Q for the FONTStephen Packer
|     | `* Q for the FONTChamp
|     |  +* Q for the FONTogden
|     |  |`- Q for the FONTwessie
|     |  `- Q for the FONTStephen Packer
|     `- Q for the FONTYTC#1
+* Q for the FONTsweller
|+* Q for the FONTwessie
||`* Q for the FONTogden
|| `- Q for the FONTsweller
|+- Q for the FONTMike Fleming
|`* Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
| `* Q for the FONTsweller
|  `* Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
|   `* Q for the FONTChamp
|    `* Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
|     `* Q for the FONTChamp
|      `* Q for the FONTBen Blaney
|       `- Q for the FONTSalad Dodger
`* Q for the FONTGyp
 `* Q for the FONTsiwilson
  `* Q for the FONTMark Olson
   +- Q for the FONTGyp
   `- Q for the FONTTurby

Pages:1234
Q for the FONT

<t12psn$52o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8845&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8845

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Q for the FONT
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:25:58 -0700
 by: Turby - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:25 UTC

I'm thinking of a new bike, but what should I get?
My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something comfortable
and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping. I stopped by 2
shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A Ducati Multistrada
and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same >$22k. The Zero is
not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180 miles between charges,
but it would be a statement about climate change. The Multistrada would
be a very fun bike, and capable of long distance trips. I was a bit
surprised to learn the sport-touring market has been almost wiped out by
the adventure bike market. harumpf. But I could see getting a BMW GS,
maybe. I dunno. Any ideas?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<j9k9ibF56k7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8846&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8846

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Q for the FONT
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:49:16 +0000
 by: siwilson - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:49 UTC

On 18/03/2022 20:25, Turby wrote:
> I'm thinking of a new bike, but what should I get?
> My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something comfortable
> and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping. I stopped by 2
> shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A Ducati Multistrada
> and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same >$22k. The Zero is
> not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180 miles between charges,
> but it would be a statement about climate change. The Multistrada would
> be a very fun bike, and capable of long distance trips. I was a bit
> surprised to learn the sport-touring market has been almost wiped out by
> the adventure bike market. harumpf. But I could see getting a BMW GS,
> maybe. I dunno. Any ideas?

I thought the new ukrm clit bike was either the Beemer S1000RRRRR in
adventure spec (SX? whatever it's called), or a KTM-something-or-other.

--
/Simon

Re: Q for the FONT

<XnsAE5EE03B0FF61wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8847&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8847

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 22:02:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 22:02 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote in

> On 18/03/2022 20:25, Turby wrote:
>> I'm thinking of a new bike, but what should I get?
>> My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something
>> comfortable and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping.
>> I stopped by 2 shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A
>> Ducati Multistrada and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same
>> >$22k. The Zero is not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180
>> miles between charges, but it would be a statement about climate
>> change. The Multistrada would be a very fun bike, and capable of long
>> distance trips. I was a bit surprised to learn the sport-touring
>> market has been almost wiped out by the adventure bike market.
>> harumpf. But I could see getting a BMW GS, maybe. I dunno. Any ideas?
>>

> I thought the new ukrm clit bike was either the Beemer S1000RRRRR in
> adventure spec (SX? whatever it's called), or a
> KTM-something-or-other.

BMW S1000XR I have one. Inline 4 cylinder that competes with the
Multistrada.

I also have a BMW R1200RS[1] - there is an update, the R1250RS which is
one of these elusive sports tourers you mention. These are mechanically
the same as the GS with a riding position more like

Other sports tourers of note are the Kawasaki Z1000SX (called the Ninja
in US) and the very recent Suzuki GSXS GT. The latter is in very short
supply due to newness and pre-orders. The engine is the iconic K5 engine
from the GSXR1000 sports bike.

If you can manage without the big power of the 1000cc or 1250cc engines
then another bike to consider is the Moto Guzzi V85TT if you get this
your way.

There's also a new version of the Triumph Tiger 1200 about to come out.

[1] this bike will be in Dieppe next month

Re: Q for the FONT

<f00ff668-78b1-4d0a-ba28-3346c6d382fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8848&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8848

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:04 UTC

Turby wrote:
> My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something comfortable
> and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping. I stopped by 2
> shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A Ducati Multistrada
> and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same >$22k. The Zero is
> not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180 miles between charges,
> but it would be a statement about climate change. The Multistrada would
> be a very fun bike, and capable of long distance trips.

So what do you really want to do with it? Grocery runs? Save the planet? Cross continents? Hoon along well-surfaced roads? Hack along gravel tracks? Pick a purpose.

> I was a bit
> surprised to learn the sport-touring market has been almost wiped out by
> the adventure bike market.

The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.

Re: Q for the FONT

<t138j3$l5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8849&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8849

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 17:36:50 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:36 UTC

On 3/18/2022 4:04 PM, ogden wrote:
> Turby wrote:
>> My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something comfortable
>> and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping. I stopped by 2
>> shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A Ducati Multistrada
>> and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same >$22k. The Zero is
>> not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180 miles between charges,
>> but it would be a statement about climate change. The Multistrada would
>> be a very fun bike, and capable of long distance trips.
>
> So what do you really want to do with it? Grocery runs? Save the planet? Cross continents? Hoon along well-surfaced roads? Hack along gravel tracks? Pick a purpose.

If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
be similar.

>> I was a bit
>> surprised to learn the sport-touring market has been almost wiped out by
>> the adventure bike market.
>
> The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.

Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
gone. Not made any more.

As much as I'd like an electric bike, the more I think about it, it
looks like I'll be sticking with petrol. (Another GS, prolly.)

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<t139gj$nf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8850&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8850

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:52:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:52 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
> be similar.

Cheap scoot with a top box and room under the seat for a shopping trolly
plus a sports tourer fror the long distance stuff.
Horses for courses.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: Q for the FONT

<t13oon$tc1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8851&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8851

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 22:12:54 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 05:12 UTC

On 3/18/2022 5:52 PM, crn@nospam.com wrote:
> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
>> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
>> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
>> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
>> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
>> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
>> be similar.
>
> Cheap scoot with a top box and room under the seat for a shopping trolly
> plus a sports tourer fror the long distance stuff.
> Horses for courses.

Cheap scoot? I beg your pardon. I do have to maintain _some_ respect in
this town.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<j9le9kFbo8aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8853&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8853

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 19 Mar 2022 07:16:04 GMT
 by: sweller - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:16 UTC

Turby wrote:

> I'm thinking of a new bike, but what should I get?

I've just bought a Husqvarna Norden.

It's alright.

--
Simon

Re: Q for the FONT

<8ffe21f1-be20-468f-9c37-61a7f794b075n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8858&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8858

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 01:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:39 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 00:36:53 UTC, Turby wrote:
> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
> be similar.

In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
issues on the FJR.

I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.

Re: Q for the FONT

<XnsAE5F5F178C58Fwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8859&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8859

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:20:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:20 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:j9le9kFbo8aU1@mid.individual.net:

> Turby wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of a new bike, but what should I get?
>
> I've just bought a Husqvarna Norden.
>
> It's alright.

it does look interesting - certainly better than it's orange cousin from KTM
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/husqvarna/norden-901-2022

not sure Turby will have them available in USA

Re: Q for the FONT

<8236575b-605c-4999-8ba1-429b83718ac6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8862&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8862

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:53 UTC

Turby wrote:
> ogden wrote:
> > Turby wrote:
> >> My FJR is 9 years old and has a few issues. I want something comfortable
> >> and will carry all my groceries from my weekly shopping. I stopped by 2
> >> shops today and sat on 2 bikes that may do the job. A Ducati Multistrada
> >> and a Zero electric. They both cost about the same >$22k. The Zero is
> >> not a tourer, as it only has a range of 90-180 miles between charges,
> >> but it would be a statement about climate change. The Multistrada would
> >> be a very fun bike, and capable of long distance trips.
> >
> > So what do you really want to do with it? Grocery runs? Save the planet? Cross continents? Hoon along well-surfaced roads? Hack along gravel tracks? Pick a purpose.
>
> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.

Having two bikes, sure. Spunking 40 grand on two new ones, not so much. Sounds like the Zero isn't for you, if you'd still need to buy something else for most of your miles.

> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
> be similar.

Anything *can* be ridden on dirt or gravel with the right tyres, but that doesn't mean you'd want to. My SMT was as happy down crappy little back-roads covered in grass and muck as it was hacking along B-roads. The S1000XR (and Multistrada) are far, far, far happier on tarmac. They're sportsbikes, just tall and upright and with hard luggage options.

> >> I was a bit
> >> surprised to learn the sport-touring market has been almost wiped out by
> >> the adventure bike market.
> >
> > The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.
>
> Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
> gone. Not made any more.

Oh, right. I'd never have thought of those as sport-tourers, more full-fat tourers. But I guess they're sportier than more Harleys...

Re: Q for the FONT

<e321d157-982e-44be-beb5-63328814ee77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8863&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8863

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55 UTC

wessie wrote:
> "sweller" wrote:
> > I've just bought a Husqvarna Norden.
> >
> it does look interesting - certainly better than it's orange cousin from KTM
> https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/husqvarna/norden-901-2022

They seem to have taken a look at the original Versys and thought "that's gorgeous".

Re: Q for the FONT

<krub3hpfrkidvs781a42308439lq82at3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8864&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8864

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:54:42 +0100
 by: Ace - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:54 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 17:36:50 -0700, Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/18/2022 4:04 PM, ogden wrote:

>> The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.
>
>Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
>gone. Not made any more.

They were never sports-tourers either, except perhaps in the minds of
American marketing bods who think that anything less lardy than a
full-on Hardly or Goldwing is verging on 'sports'.

Thing is, unless you're going to be doing stupid speeds and/or
scratching round twisty roads, like what we have here in the Alps, or
racetracks, you dont' want the 'sports' element anyway.

TBF, most of the bikes mentioned are the equivalent of great sports
bikes, if you wind the clock back a decade or so (two?) so the labels
are pretty meaningless in any case.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Q for the FONT

<t158jb$u34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8869&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8869

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:49:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:49 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 00:36:53 UTC, Turby wrote:
>> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
>> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
>> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
>> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
>> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
>> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
>> be similar.
>
> In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
> issues on the FJR.
>
> I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.

What's up with the FJR? Mine has never let me down in 80k miles.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Q for the FONT

<b19e6ad0-d075-2627-f23a-16239ce706f2@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8873&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8873

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:23:23 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:23 UTC

On 19/03/2022 18:49, Mark Olson wrote:
> Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 00:36:53 UTC, Turby wrote:
>>> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
>>> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
>>> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
>>> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
>>> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
>>> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
>>> be similar.
>>
>> In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
>> issues on the FJR.
>>
>> I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.
>
> What's up with the FJR? Mine has never let me down in 80k miles.

And in the other sense of the phrase "What's up with the FJR?" why not
get another FJR? Yamaha only stopped making them in 2019 so there are
quite young second-hand models at reasonably low mileages available.

Someone mentioned the Moto-Guzzi V85TT - remember there's also the new
Mandello V100 whose launch has been delayed, but should make a very nice
tourer.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: Q for the FONT

<t15lat$e42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8874&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8874

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:26:35 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:26 UTC

On 3/19/2022 11:49 AM, Mark Olson wrote:
> Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
>> issues on the FJR.
>>
>> I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.

Yebbut, it's not a real comfortable bike for me. And the panniers aren't
big enough. They won't hold a helmet or a jacket, which is a killer. (I
can't leave that gear on the beach.)

> What's up with the FJR? Mine has never let me down in 80k miles.

1. Rear brakes don't work. There's something wrong with the pump or so.
Not a loss of fluid.
2. At least 4 screws are gone from the fairing around the front
forks/instrument panel. They go into little plastic "brackets" which
have broken off. I think that means I'd have to replace at least 3
pieces of fairing.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<t15moh$r8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8875&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8875

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:50:56 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:50 UTC

On 3/19/2022 8:54 AM, Ace wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 17:36:50 -0700, Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/18/2022 4:04 PM, ogden wrote:
>
>>> The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.
>>
>> Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
>> gone. Not made any more.
>
> They were never sports-tourers either, except perhaps in the minds of
> American marketing bods who think that anything less lardy than a
> full-on Hardly or Goldwing is verging on 'sports'.
>
> Thing is, unless you're going to be doing stupid speeds and/or
> scratching round twisty roads, like what we have here in the Alps, or
> racetracks, you dont' want the 'sports' element anyway.
>
> TBF, most of the bikes mentioned are the equivalent of great sports
> bikes, if you wind the clock back a decade or so (two?) so the labels
> are pretty meaningless in any case.

I don't know about your world, but to me, a sport-tourer is a bike you
can ride all day, day after day, and still have fun in the twisties. It
must come with hard panniers and be relatively nimble. That leaves out
all those sport bikes that leave you in pain after 2 hours in the saddle
and don't come with panniers. And yes, it leaves out HDs and Goldwings.

As for roads, the American West is chock full of fun roads. These are
just a couple in my county:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200173328/in/album-72157715400701306/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200980697/in/album-72157715400701306/

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<t15ntb$86t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8876&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8876

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:10:34 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:10 UTC

On 3/19/2022 7:53 AM, ogden wrote:
> Turby wrote:
>> ogden wrote:
>>>
>>> So what do you really want to do with it? Grocery runs? Save the planet? Cross continents? Hoon along well-surfaced roads? Hack along gravel tracks? Pick a purpose.
>>
>> If I get the Zero, it'll ease my climate conscience, but I'd need to get
>> another bike to tour on. (Or learn to stop for a couple of hours every
>> 100 miles. yuk.) I know having more than one bike in the garage is
>> pretty standard for UKRMers, but it'd be a major change for me.
>
> Having two bikes, sure. Spunking 40 grand on two new ones, not so much. Sounds like the Zero isn't for you, if you'd still need to buy something else for most of your miles.

All true. Maybe next gen.

>> I've never been much of a dirt rider, but my GS in Europe just doesn't
>> care about road surfaces. With the right tyres, I think the Ducati could
>> be similar.
>
> Anything *can* be ridden on dirt or gravel with the right tyres, but that doesn't mean you'd want to. My SMT was as happy down crappy little back-roads covered in grass and muck as it was hacking along B-roads. The S1000XR (and Multistrada) are far, far, far happier on tarmac. They're sportsbikes, just tall and upright and with hard luggage options.

I keep remembering my ride on Corsica, when I got off the boat and was
soon passed by a handful of true sportbikes. When I got to the west
coast, I caught up with them. The road surface had gone to crap with
lots of potholes and loose dirt, and they were slowly making their way.
My GS hardly noticed and I just whizzed by. Never saw them again.

>>> The Multistrada, S1000XR and their ilk aren't adventure bikes, they're sports-tourers on stilts. Don't be fooled by the packaging.
>>
>> Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
>> gone. Not made any more.
>
> Oh, right. I'd never have thought of those as sport-tourers, more full-fat tourers. But I guess they're sportier than more Harleys...

So what is your definition? Surely, you don't put a Goldwing and an FJR
in the same class.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Q for the FONT

<93e63e96-8d39-4b44-8322-faf7707a6469n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8877&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8877

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:12:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:12 UTC

Turby wrote:
> Mark Olson wrote:
> > Stephen Packer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
> >> issues on the FJR.
> >>
> >> I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.
>
> Yebbut, it's not a real comfortable bike for me. And the panniers aren't
> big enough. They won't hold a helmet or a jacket, which is a killer. (I
> can't leave that gear on the beach.)

So either find alternative luggage for the bike, or accept that it's not an option. Buying an electric bike isn't going to undo the damage your generation did to the planet, so you might as well not bother.

> > What's up with the FJR? Mine has never let me down in 80k miles.
> >
> 1. Rear brakes don't work. There's something wrong with the pump or so.
> Not a loss of fluid.
> 2. At least 4 screws are gone from the fairing around the front
> forks/instrument panel. They go into little plastic "brackets" which
> have broken off. I think that means I'd have to replace at least 3
> pieces of fairing.

Is that it? Brakes aren't complicated - the rear m/c on my SMT failed, just needed the m/c replacing and fresh fluid pulling through. Missing screws and broken lugs are easy enough to fix with glue, cable ties, or replacement parts that will cost rather less than 22 thousand dollars.

Sounds like you just fancy something new, so buy the Multistrada. Or find a BMW dealer and try an S1000XR. Or... I dunno - I've just realised I've had mine 5 years now, and have literally no idea what's been on the market since then.

Re: Q for the FONT

<1f52716c-5209-49a2-8332-0b370bca0951n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8878&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8878

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:24 UTC

Turby wrote:
> ogden wrote:
> > Turby wrote:
> >> ogden wrote:
> > Anything *can* be ridden on dirt or gravel with the right tyres, but that doesn't mean you'd want to. My SMT was as happy down crappy little back-roads covered in grass and muck as it was hacking along B-roads. The S1000XR (and Multistrada) are far, far, far happier on tarmac. They're sportsbikes, just tall and upright and with hard luggage options.
>
> I keep remembering my ride on Corsica, when I got off the boat and was
> soon passed by a handful of true sportbikes. When I got to the west
> coast, I caught up with them. The road surface had gone to crap with
> lots of potholes and loose dirt, and they were slowly making their way.
> My GS hardly noticed and I just whizzed by. Never saw them again.

Quite. "Adventure-Sports" bikes like the Mutley and XR will be only marginally happier on roads with potholes and loose dirt than true sportsbikes (or maybe it's been so long since I rode a proper sportsbike one the road I've forgotten how brutal it was). Some of it is down to wheel size (17" is fine on tarmac but won't deal with potholes to well) and some is down to suspension (my SMT was great on shitty surfaces, but my XR much prefers a road like a billiard table). I miss the SMT, just a shame it didn't have another 50 horsepower.

> >> Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc, are
> >> gone. Not made any more.
> >
> > Oh, right. I'd never have thought of those as sport-tourers, more full-fat tourers. But I guess they're sportier than more Harleys...
> So what is your definition?

Something you could ride round a track, without being too awful, and then ride big distance without being horribly uncomfortable. I can't imagine an FJR or Pan-Euro being hustled round a track without running out of power, ground-clearance or just getting too squidgy.

Honestly, where's the "sport" in something like a Pan European?

> Surely, you don't put a Goldwing and an FJR in the same class.

Honestly? From where I'm sitting, admittedly not having ridden either, they don't look far apart. Big, heavy, squidgy, upright, popular with the police and people who have beards...

Re: Q for the FONT

<XnsAE5FEEE321D67wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8880&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8880

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:29:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:29 UTC

ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com> wrote in

> Sounds like you just fancy something new, so buy the Multistrada. Or
> find a BMW dealer and try an S1000XR. Or... I dunno - I've just
> realised I've had mine 5 years now, and have literally no idea what's
> been on the market since then.

I hadn't ridden the XR this year until today. The roads have been so manky
I have used the RS as it has shaft drive.

I thought I might sell the XR this year. After a 100 mile circuit through
the Forest of Dean, Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Malvern foothills I
think it will stay.

In summary, nothing has come on the market in the last 5 years that
warrants changing your bike. Not even the new XR, as it has lost the edge
we both enjoy in the first version.

Re: Q for the FONT

<XnsAE5FF064F7D83wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8881&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8881

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:37:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:37 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote in news:t15moh$r8g$1@dont-email.me:

> On 3/19/2022 8:54 AM, Ace wrote:

>>> Yebbut, the classic sport-tourers like my FJR, the Honda STs, etc,
>>> are gone. Not made any more.
>>
>> They were never sports-tourers either, except perhaps in the minds of
>> American marketing bods who think that anything less lardy than a
>> full-on Hardly or Goldwing is verging on 'sports'.
>>
>> Thing is, unless you're going to be doing stupid speeds and/or
>> scratching round twisty roads, like what we have here in the Alps, or
>> racetracks, you dont' want the 'sports' element anyway.
>>
>> TBF, most of the bikes mentioned are the equivalent of great sports
>> bikes, if you wind the clock back a decade or so (two?) so the labels
>> are pretty meaningless in any case.
>
> I don't know about your world, but to me, a sport-tourer is a bike you
> can ride all day, day after day, and still have fun in the twisties.
> It must come with hard panniers and be relatively nimble. That leaves
> out all those sport bikes that leave you in pain after 2 hours in the
> saddle and don't come with panniers. And yes, it leaves out HDs and
> Goldwings.
>
> As for roads, the American West is chock full of fun roads. These are
> just a couple in my county:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200173328/in/album-
72157715400
> 701306/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200980697/in/album-
72157715400
> 701306/

I ride my 2016 R1200RS and 2016 S1000XR on roads like those. Same
climate when in Spain, a tad damper in Scotland last time! The new
versions of both bikes have hard luggage options but from the accessory
catalogue. I have after market versions from Givi which are better and
cheaper, especially as my sets of boxes can be used on each bike for the
added cost of a �150 fitting kit.

This is no different to a GS - you will have to hit the accessory
catalogue for luggage options. Probably $2000 for a set of 3 cases.

We would call a bike that includes hard luggage as a GT version but if
you limit yourself to that category then you will have a very short list
to choose from.

Re: Q for the FONT

<t162t5$rof$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8882&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8882

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:18:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:18 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/19/2022 11:49 AM, Mark Olson wrote:
>> Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In your position I'd buy the Zero and throw a little money at resolving any
>>> issues on the FJR.
>>>
>>> I'd love an excuse to buy a Zero.
>
> Yebbut, it's not a real comfortable bike for me. And the panniers aren't
> big enough. They won't hold a helmet or a jacket, which is a killer. (I
> can't leave that gear on the beach.)
>>
>> What's up with the FJR? Mine has never let me down in 80k miles.
>>
> 1. Rear brakes don't work. There's something wrong with the pump or so.
> Not a loss of fluid.

Ummm. Yeah that could be an expensive fix, but certainly not as expensive
as a new bike.

> 2. At least 4 screws are gone from the fairing around the front
> forks/instrument panel. They go into little plastic "brackets" which
> have broken off. I think that means I'd have to replace at least 3
> pieces of fairing.

See point #1, but many folk have success in fixing broken fairing tabs
by various means, too.

Truth be told, at this point, I'd be more than happy to ditch ABS
and linked braking on the rear so long as the front ABS still worked.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Q for the FONT

<t16d9s$6nf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8883&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8883

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 05:15:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 05:15 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about your world, but to me, a sport-tourer is a bike you
> can ride all day, day after day, and still have fun in the twisties. It
> must come with hard panniers and be relatively nimble. That leaves out
> all those sport bikes that leave you in pain after 2 hours in the saddle
> and don't come with panniers. And yes, it leaves out HDs and Goldwings.

Have you ridden the GL1800? When I test rode one (I also tested
the F6B) I was astounded at how much it felt like a sportbike with
luggage vs. the GL1500.

IMHO, the F6B basically fills the slot left by the Valkyrie or the
early naked Wings.

> As for roads, the American West is chock full of fun roads. These are
> just a couple in my county:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200173328/in/album-72157715400701306/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/turbster/50200980697/in/album-72157715400701306/

I totally agree that the western USA has some incredible roads,
as does southwestern Wisconsin, the Smoky Mountains, West Virginia,
the Ozarks and many other places.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Q for the FONT

<j9o8ncFs9ffU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8884&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8884

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 20 Mar 2022 08:59:24 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:59 UTC

ogden wrote:

> > it does look interesting - certainly better than it's orange cousin
> > from KTM

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/husqvarna/norden-901-2022

> They seem to have taken a look at the original Versys and thought
> "that's gorgeous".

They look very different - same sort of colour though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Versys_650#/media/File:Kawasaki_Versys_650_LT.jpg

--
Simon