Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories. -- Donn Seeley

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

SubjectAuthor
* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
`* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
 `* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
  `* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
   `* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    +* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    |+- Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |`* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | `* extension Ticketing enquiryJohn Levine
    |  +- extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |  +* extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |  |`- extension Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    |  `* extension Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    |   `* extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    +* extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |    |`* extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    | +* extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |    | |`* extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    | | `* extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |    | |  `* extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    | |   `* extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |    | |    `* extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    | |     `- extension Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |    | +* extension Ticketing enquiryD A Stocks
    |    | |`- extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    |    | `- extension Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    |    `* extension Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    |     `- extension Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    +* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |+* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    ||`* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    || `* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    ||  `- Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    |`* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | +* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | |+* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    | ||`* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | || `* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    | ||  `- Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | |`* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | | `* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | |  +- Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    | |  `* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | |   +* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    | |   |`* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | |   | `- Ticketing enquiryRecliner
    | |   `* Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | |    +- Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    | |    `- Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
    | `- Ticketing enquiryRoland Perry
    `* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
     `* Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall
      `* Ticketing enquiryRecliner
       `- Ticketing enquiryGraeme Wall

Pages:123
Re: Ticketing enquiry

<B4LdN.2634$woU1.311@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14985&group=uk.transport.london#14985

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Ticketing enquiry
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:22:41 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:22 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 11/12/2023 14:02, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <JoQSyJpdOxdlFAlR@perry.uk>, at 13:50:21 on Mon, 11 Dec
>>> 2023, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> remarked:

>> That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
>> better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal
>> day return from Guildford to Waterloo!
>
> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>
> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative pricing
> of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals and then
> using Oyster.

Yes, in ths case, the latter is probably the better option, mainly because
contactless fares to Chesham are surprisingly cheap.

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14986&group=uk.transport.london#14986

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 22:12:18 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 22:12 UTC

On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 11/12/2023 14:02, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <JoQSyJpdOxdlFAlR@perry.uk>, at 13:50:21 on Mon, 11 Dec
>>> 2023,  Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> remarked:

>> That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
>> better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal
>> day return from Guildford to Waterloo!
>
> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>
> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative pricing
> of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals and then
> using Oyster.

Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
follows:

I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from Chesham
to Moor Park comes out at £34.65

Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75

I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25

If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
rtn and Oyster.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<3oMdN.4766$c68d.3397@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14987&group=uk.transport.london#14987

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 22:51:43 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 22:51 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
>> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
>>> better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal
>>> day return from Guildford to Waterloo!
>>
>> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>>
>> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative pricing
>> of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals and then
>> using Oyster.
>
> Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
> follows:
>
> I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from Chesham
> to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>
> Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
> Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>
> I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25

That's surprisingly cheap!

> If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
> rtn and Oyster.

Presumably that must depend on how much travelling you do in Z1-6?

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<ul93fb$3j4op$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14988&group=uk.transport.london#14988

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:52:11 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:52 UTC

On 11/12/2023 22:51, Recliner wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
>>> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>>>
>>> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative pricing
>>> of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals and then
>>> using Oyster.
>>
>> Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
>> follows:
>>
>> I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from Chesham
>> to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>>
>> Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
>> Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>>
>> I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25
>
> That's surprisingly cheap!
>

>> If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
>> rtn and Oyster.
>
> Presumably that must depend on how much travelling you do in Z1-6?

A simple there and back about breaks even, if I make a third tube
journey than the travelcard wins.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<7y3+E0APjBelFAbv@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14989&group=uk.transport.london#14989

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:24:47 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:24 UTC

In message <ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:12:18 on Mon, 11 Dec
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
>>2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
>>>better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal
>>>day return from Guildford to Waterloo!

>> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative
>>pricing of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals
>>and then using Oyster.
>
>Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
>follows:
>
>I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from
>Chesham to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>
>Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
>Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>
>I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25
>
>If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
>rtn and Oyster.

Once upon a time - you can check to see if it's still possible - if it
was your only use of the tube a Guildford to Z6 (Moor Park) return [**
perhaps 0839 below] plus a Moor Park to Chesham return could easily be
cheaper.

I used to calculate that Cambridge-Z1 return [0875] was cheaper than a
Z12 Travelcard (no longer available) as long as I didn't have a
triangular tube trip. For example Kings Cross-Waterloo +
Waterloo-Westminster + Westninster-Kings Cross would be a typical "two
meetings" day out.

** http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html
--
Roland Perry

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<mjgpwpES5BelFAZz@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14990&group=uk.transport.london#14990

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:48:18 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:48 UTC

In message <7y3+E0APjBelFAbv@perry.uk>, at 08:24:47 on Tue, 12 Dec 2023,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> remarked:
>In message <ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:12:18 on Mon, 11 Dec
>2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>>On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11
>>>Dec 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>>> When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative
>>>pricing of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals
>>>and then using Oyster.
>>
>>Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
>>follows:
>>
>>I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from
>>Chesham to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>>
>>Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
>>Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>>
>>I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25
>>
>>If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
>>rtn and Oyster.
>
>Once upon a time - you can check to see if it's still possible - if it
>was your only use of the tube a Guildford to Z6 (Moor Park) return [**
>perhaps 0839 below] plus a Moor Park to Chesham return could easily be
>cheaper.
>
>I used to calculate that Cambridge-Z1 return [0875]

<cough 0785>

>was cheaper than a Z12 Travelcard (no longer available) as long as I
>didn't have a triangular tube trip. For example Kings Cross-Waterloo +
>Waterloo-Westminster + Westninster-Kings Cross would be a typical "two
>meetings" day out.
>
>** http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html

--
Roland Perry

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<ul9e9i$3khfs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14992&group=uk.transport.london#14992

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:56:50 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:56 UTC

On 12/12/2023 08:24, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:12:18 on Mon, 11 Dec
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 11/12/2023 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:02:32 on Mon, 11 Dec
>>> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.
>>>  When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative
>>> pricing  of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals
>>> and then  using Oyster.
>>
>> Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
>> follows:
>>
>> I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from
>> Chesham to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>>
>> Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
>> Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>>
>> I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25
>>
>> If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
>> rtn and Oyster.
>
> Once upon a time - you can check to see if it's still possible - if it
> was your only use of the tube a Guildford to Z6 (Moor Park) return [**
> perhaps 0839 below] plus a Moor Park to Chesham return could easily be
> cheaper.

Guildford to Z6 is a travelcard, SWR don't seem to be able to sell me
the add on return. However, if I just do Waterloo-Chesham and return on
contactless with no other journies then the day return plus contactless
becomes £25.95, 70p more expensive than the Moor Park option but less
hassle.

> I used to calculate that Cambridge-Z1 return [0875] was cheaper than a
> Z12 Travelcard (no longer available) as long as I didn't have a
> triangular tube trip. For example Kings Cross-Waterloo +
> Waterloo-Westminster + Westninster-Kings Cross would be a typical "two
> meetings" day out.
>
> ** http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<85vgnilmvv9dc2cr6g4sb2ougnlgjn4oer@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14994&group=uk.transport.london#14994

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
References: <ul4is1$2n5fs$1@dont-email.me> <9mlbnit02pbqq22ncipm81r66rbaggd6pl@4ax.com> <ul4m68$2nlet$1@dont-email.me> <sIldN.6807$i529.852@fx12.ams1> <ul6gss$33cbq$4@dont-email.me> <LGBdN.1283$RCGb.646@fx10.ams1> <JoQSyJpdOxdlFAlR@perry.uk> <rI8a6eqvZxdlFACy@perry.uk> <ul78a8$36tqt$2@dont-email.me> <x+a8X$r0b3dlFAjn@perry.uk> <ul81g2$3b54f$1@dont-email.me> <3oMdN.4766$c68d.3397@fx15.ams1> <ul93fb$3j4op$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:31:20 +0000
 by: Recliner - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:31 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:52:11 +0000, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 11/12/2023 22:51, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>> I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from Chesham
>>> to Moor Park comes out at £34.65
>>>
>>> Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
>>> Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75
>>>
>>> I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25
>>
>> That's surprisingly cheap!
>>

>>> If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
>>> rtn and Oyster.
>>
>> Presumably that must depend on how much travelling you do in Z1-6?
>>

>A simple there and back about breaks even, if I make a third tube
>journey than the travelcard wins.

No wonder TfL wanted to abolish paper travelcards!

Re: Ticketing enquiry

<QgOUQ2Tr4XelFAeN@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15002&group=uk.transport.london#15002

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 09:49:31 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 09:49 UTC

In message <W1hFlhgZLudlFA2K@perry.uk>, at 10:22:17 on Mon, 11 Dec 2023,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> remarked:

>>>"For customers still using paper Travelcard tickets, LU offers a
>>>simple, zonal extension ticket valid for two hours from the time of
>>>issue. This is a fraud prevention measure."
>
>>> So just buy one of those at a TfL TVM before commencing the journey
>>>to Chesham. On the way back, just buy a paper single ticket from
>>>Chesham to Moor Park.
>>
>>Can't find any recent information as to whether such extension tickets
>>still exist, the link is to a 2005 Q&A.
>
>I have an idea they were scrapped because the scheme was so complicated
>no-one understood it (or bought them).

Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.

However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.

And they shroud this in smoke and mirrors of "fraud protection" because
someone could buy such an extension, touch in Central London, be
touched-out automatically, then travel to an unmanned unbarried station
hundreds of miles away. But they don't want to give people ideas!!

The paper extension ticket probably has the same 2hr limit just because
of one-size-fits-all-ism.
--
Roland Perry

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15017&group=uk.transport.london#15017

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: extension Ticketing enquiry
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:18:00 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:18 UTC

According to Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>:
>Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>
>However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.

When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
card when you buy the extension?

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<ulda3u$11533$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15019&group=uk.transport.london#15019

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:10:06 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:10 UTC

On 13/12/2023 21:18, John Levine wrote:
> According to Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>:
>> Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>> happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>> they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>> both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>>
>> However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>> that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>> automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>> and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
>
> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
> you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
> card when you buy the extension?

Unfortunately for this thread I'm not going to bother trying the
experiment to find out. But I must confess it's something I hadn't
thought of!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<y9qeN.9016$i529.1628@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15023&group=uk.transport.london#15023

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:23:26 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:23 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
> According to Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>:
>> Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>> happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>> they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>> both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>>
>> However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>> that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>> automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>> and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
>
> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
> you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
> card when you buy the extension?

Yes, I think you need to tap the Oyster card on the TVM yellow pad.
Obviously there's no such requirement for paper travelcards.

I checked a TVM today and was surprised that there are only two zonal
extensions available, for three and five zones. Both are the same price, at
least at the off-peak time I checked.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<asqWT7X4xqelFAuR@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15029&group=uk.transport.london#15029

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:19:20 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:19 UTC

In message <uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>, at 21:18:00 on Wed, 13 Dec
2023, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>According to Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>:
>>Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>>happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>>they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>>both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>>
>>However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>>that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>>automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>>and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
>
>When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
>you will be using?

Because...

>Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
>extension?

....you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.

Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
--
Roland Perry

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<mPpprfY20qelFALD@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15030&group=uk.transport.london#15030

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:22:30 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:22 UTC

In message <y9qeN.9016$i529.1628@fx12.ams1>, at 22:23:26 on Wed, 13 Dec
2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
>> According to Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>:
>>> Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>>> happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>>> they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>>> both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>>>
>>> However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>>> that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>>> automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>>> and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
>>
>> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
>> you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
>> card when you buy the extension?
>
>Yes, I think you need to tap the Oyster card on the TVM yellow pad.
>Obviously there's no such requirement for paper travelcards.
>
>I checked a TVM today and was surprised that there are only two zonal
>extensions available, for three and five zones.

They've been reducing the number of different tickets steadily over the
years. eg Travelcards used to have numerous zonal ranges available (at
different prices).

>Both are the same price, at least at the off-peak time I checked.

Yes, and that's a bit of a puzzle. Presumably they are price-gouging the
users of three-zone extensions by making it the same as the five zone.
--
Roland Perry

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<uleddj$1a3q4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15032&group=uk.transport.london#15032

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:12:35 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:12 UTC

On 14/12/2023 07:19, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>, at 21:18:00 on Wed, 13 Dec
> 2023, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>> According to Roland Perry  <roland@perry.uk>:
>>> Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
>>> happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
>>> they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
>>> both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
>>>
>>> However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
>>> that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
>>> automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
>>> and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
>>
>> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
>> you will be using?
>
> Because...
>
>> Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
>> extension?
>
> ...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
>
> Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
> Extension.

Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<WDBeN.4392$RCGb.814@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15044&group=uk.transport.london#15044

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:26:46 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:26 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/12/2023 07:19, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>, at 21:18:00 on Wed, 13 Dec
>> 2023, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
>>> you will be using?
>>
>> Because...
>>
>>> Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
>>> extension?
>>
>> ...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
>>
>> Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
>> Extension.
>
> Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
> consideration.

Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<ulfaor$1erau$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15061&group=uk.transport.london#15061

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:33:31 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:33 UTC

On 14/12/2023 11:26, Recliner wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 14/12/2023 07:19, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>, at 21:18:00 on Wed, 13 Dec
>>> 2023, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> Because...

>>> ...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
>>>
>>> Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
>>> Extension.
>>
>> Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
>> consideration.
>
> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
> But it's at a stiff price.

How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<QlHeN.4745$RCGb.2376@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15062&group=uk.transport.london#15062

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:57:04 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:57 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/12/2023 11:26, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
>>> consideration.
>>
>> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
>> But it's at a stiff price.
>>

> How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
> Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.

You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
or just doing the whole journey on contactless.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<ulfiqp$1gevm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15063&group=uk.transport.london#15063

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:50:57 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:50 UTC

"Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 14/12/2023 11:26, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
>>> consideration.
>>
>> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
>> But it's at a stiff price.
>>

> How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have. Back
> to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.

In National Rail land you just got the extension as another paper ticket. I
used them every now and then when I had a Gold Travelcard season.

For this use case I would probably go to the ticket office (I assume
Guildford still has one?) and tell them what you're trying to do; you might
get a pleasant surprise.

--
DAS

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<ulfsv1$1i1l8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15067&group=uk.transport.london#15067

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:44:01 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:44 UTC

On 14/12/2023 17:57, Recliner wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
>>> But it's at a stiff price.
>>>

>> How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
>> Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
>>

> You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
> But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
> or just doing the whole journey on contactless.

The last is what I will be doing. Though, if I remember I will look out
for those options. Trouble is I haven't used a TfL ticket machine for
many years.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<ulft0p$1i1l8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15068&group=uk.transport.london#15068

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:44:57 +0000

On 14/12/2023 18:50, D A Stocks wrote:
> "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
>>> But it's at a stiff price.
>>>

>> How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
>> Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
>>
> In National Rail land you just got the extension as another paper
> ticket. I used them every now and then when I had a Gold Travelcard season.
>
> For this use case I would probably go to the ticket office (I assume
> Guildford still has one?) and tell them what you're trying to do; you
> might get a pleasant surprise.

Guildford still has a ticket office so I might try that.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<NRKeN.12066$Do46.6579@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15069&group=uk.transport.london#15069

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ulfsv1$1i1l8$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:55:57 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:55 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/12/2023 17:57, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
>>> Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
>>>

>> You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
>> But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
>> or just doing the whole journey on contactless.
>>

> The last is what I will be doing. Though, if I remember I will look out
> for those options. Trouble is I haven't used a TfL ticket machine for
> many years.

As Roland reported, it's a prominent menu option from the main screen
(bottom right). You then get offered extensions to Oyster or paper
Travelcards. Couldn't be easier, but certainly could be cheaper.

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<OenzPwJOH$elFA$5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15072&group=uk.transport.london#15072

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:27:26 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:27 UTC

In message <uleddj$1a3q4$3@dont-email.me>, at 08:12:35 on Thu, 14 Dec
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 14/12/2023 07:19, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uld728$2dck$3@gal.iecc.com>, at 21:18:00 on Wed, 13 Dec
>>2023, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
>>> you will be using?
>> Because...
>>
>>> Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
>>>extension?

>> ...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you
>>buy.

>> Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
>>Extension.
>
>Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
>consideration.

After the journey, you mean? Yes, it would be loaded on the Oyster card
at the time of purchase. But does every station "in the zones" (up to
Z6+5 = Z11) have a facility to tap out. And what if you have an onward
National Rail ticket from the extended-to station, do you have to get
off, tap out, then catch the next train to your ultimate destination?
--
Roland Perry

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<6+v+HeKsI$elFAby@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15073&group=uk.transport.london#15073

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:29:00 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:29 UTC

In message <ulfaor$1erau$5@dont-email.me>, at 16:33:31 on Thu, 14 Dec
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 14/12/2023 11:26, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
>>> consideration.

>> Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones
>>included.

>> But it's at a stiff price.
>
>How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
>Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.

Just buy a paper extension. No need for a shuffle anyway, as you don't
need to "tap out" a paper Travelcard.
--
Roland Perry

Re: extension Ticketing enquiry

<uliava$21775$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15088&group=uk.transport.london#15088

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:55:22 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:55 UTC

On 14/12/2023 21:55, Recliner wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
>>> But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
>>> or just doing the whole journey on contactless.
>>>

>> The last is what I will be doing. Though, if I remember I will look out
>> for those options. Trouble is I haven't used a TfL ticket machine for
>> many years.
>
> As Roland reported, it's a prominent menu option from the main screen
> (bottom right). You then get offered extensions to Oyster or paper
> Travelcards. Couldn't be easier, but certainly could be cheaper.

Having done the trip today, I went with the day return to Waterloo then
contactless from Waterloo to Chesham and back. I did think of checking
out the TfL ticket machines at Waterloo but they were swamped by,
presumably, tourists, trying to work out what they needed to do.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: extension Ticketing enquiry