As well look for a needle in a bottle of hay. -- Miguel de Cervantes

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: TOT: grinding coffee

SubjectAuthor
* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
+* TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| || +* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeKen
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||+- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
| | `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| |   `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| || +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| ||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||    +- TOT: grinding coffeeCertes
| ||    `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | +* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | | +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
| | | `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |   +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | |   `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |    `* TOT: grinding coffeeRecliner
| | |     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |      `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |       +- TOT: grinding coffeeSam Wilson
| | |       `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| | `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
|`* TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
| `* TOT: grinding coffeeNobody
|  `- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
+* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeD A Stocks
||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeGB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeDavid Jones
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
|| `* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||    |+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
||    ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
||    ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |`- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||    `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
||     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||      `- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeJohn Levine
+- TOT: grinding coffeeEddie King
`* TOT: grinding coffeeAnthonyL

Pages:12345
Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc3kjf$o6q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35308&group=uk.railway#35308

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: TOT: grinding coffee
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:00:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:00 UTC

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:49:00 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> Millions using several coffee pods a day? In the grand scheme of things
>>> with a weekly wheelie bin full of recyclables, it hardly registers.
>>
>> Everything registers in the long run. You can always use the its only a small
>
>> percentage argument about anything but percentages add up and if there is a
>> way of avoiding waste then why not do it.
>>
>> Though while millions of gullible fuckwits still buy bottled water full of
>> microplastics from the bottle they're in order not to drink perfectly safe
>tap
>> water because of spurious health reasons dreamed up by a PR company its all
>> bit moot.
>>

>What is greater, the environmental impact of the coffee pod or the
>production and distribution of the coffee? Are the bean grinders just
>kidding themselves they are being good?

Nothing is without an enviromental cost, but A + B + C > B + C.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc3kl4$3tfeo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35309&group=uk.railway#35309

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:01:40 -0000 (UTC)
<tc3kjf$o6q$1@gioia.aioe.org>
sha1:d9KcroGELgNxNUxBMsXoetGUK6U=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:01 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:49:00 -0000 (UTC)
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Everything registers in the long run. You can always use the its only a small
>>
>>> percentage argument about anything but percentages add up and if there is a
>>> way of avoiding waste then why not do it.
>>>
>>> Though while millions of gullible fuckwits still buy bottled water full of
>>> microplastics from the bottle they're in order not to drink perfectly safe
>> tap
>>> water because of spurious health reasons dreamed up by a PR company its all
>>> bit moot.
>>>

>> What is greater, the environmental impact of the coffee pod or the
>> production and distribution of the coffee? Are the bean grinders just
>> kidding themselves they are being good?
>
> Nothing is without an enviromental cost, but A + B + C > B + C.

I’m querying the relative difference between the two.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<1fdbeh51ku2dgotdqrq9nrl06iqgfbcjdj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35316&group=uk.railway#35316

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 23:55:48 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:55 UTC

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 09:38:13 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:40:29 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>On 29/07/2022 23:55, Roger Lynn wrote:
>>> That's not surprising - producing aluminium from Bauxite uses a vast amount
>>> of electricity - that's why aluminium is relatively expensive.
>>
>>And why aluminium smelters are built near to power stations usually.
>
>Usually hydro because the electricity was 'free'?

Even more "free" if you own both the generator and its main intended
user.

>>You are unlikely to find one next to a wind power station because a
>>period without wind would be disastrous. Our local aluminium smelter at
>>times has shut down because of lack of water but that is predictable
>>well in advance.
>>
>>Now in danger because of the SNP giving hundred of millions of pounds to
>>an Indian businessman.
>
>No worse than one based in Monaco who knows f**k all about building
>ferries.

Or one based in Southampton that never had any ferries built but still
tried to hire them out.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<pezPhOs5Th5iFA$F@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35322&group=uk.railway#35322

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 06:36:57 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 05:36 UTC

In message <tc3f8j$ev7$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 14:29:39 on Sat, 30 Jul
2022, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:
>On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:36:11 +0100
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>In message <ib5eri-u24.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>, at 23:59:30 on Fri, 29
>>Jul 2022, Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> remarked:

>>>One is insignificant. Millions of people using several per day is an
>>>environmental disaster.
>>
>>Millions using several coffee pods a day? In the grand scheme of things
>>with a weekly wheelie bin full of recyclables, it hardly registers.
>
>Everything registers in the long run. You can always use the its only a small
>percentage argument about anything but percentages add up and if there is a
>way of avoiding waste then why not do it.

About three years ago people locally started a project to recycle crisp
packets. Of which there are also a large number, although again it's a
tiny percentage of the weekly shop. By they time they'd driven them to
the collection points, and someone else had rounded them all up and
taken to a facility the other end of the country, I'm far from convinced
the overall material/energy budget wasn't negative.
--
Roland Perry

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc56ki$5fpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35324&group=uk.railway#35324

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 07:14:42 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 06:14 UTC

On 31/07/2022 06:36, Roland Perry wrote:
> About three years ago people locally started a project to recycle crisp
> packets. Of which there are also a large number, although again it's a
> tiny percentage of the weekly shop. By they time they'd driven them to
> the collection points, and someone else had rounded them all up and
> taken to a facility the other end of the country, I'm far from convinced
> the overall material/energy budget wasn't negative.

I think that is the case with a lot of recycling then of course much of
the 'recycled' items just go to landfill.

I remember a friend on Skye telling me that he watched the 'recycled'
glass being tipped into the same lorry as the stuff going to landfill. A
lot of 'recycling' is just a box-ticking exercise.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc5ari$tdd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35328&group=uk.railway#35328

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 07:26:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 07:26 UTC

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 06:36:57 +0100
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>In message <tc3f8j$ev7$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 14:29:39 on Sat, 30 Jul
>2022, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:
>>Everything registers in the long run. You can always use the its only a small
>>percentage argument about anything but percentages add up and if there is a
>>way of avoiding waste then why not do it.
>
>About three years ago people locally started a project to recycle crisp
>packets. Of which there are also a large number, although again it's a
>tiny percentage of the weekly shop. By they time they'd driven them to
>the collection points, and someone else had rounded them all up and
>taken to a facility the other end of the country, I'm far from convinced
>the overall material/energy budget wasn't negative.

Possibly not but you balance one type of pollution against the other.
Personally I don't believe the energy spent on recycling plastics is worth
it when they can just be burnt for energy which solves the problem for good
instead of kicking the can down the road for a bit longer until it all ends
up as carpet no one wants.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<YKuD0B0Mhj5iFAYt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35329&group=uk.railway#35329

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:07:40 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 08:07 UTC

In message <tc56ki$5fpu$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:14:42 on Sun, 31 Jul
2022, MB <MB@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 31/07/2022 06:36, Roland Perry wrote:
>> About three years ago people locally started a project to recycle crisp
>> packets. Of which there are also a large number, although again it's a
>> tiny percentage of the weekly shop. By they time they'd driven them to
>> the collection points, and someone else had rounded them all up and
>> taken to a facility the other end of the country, I'm far from convinced
>> the overall material/energy budget wasn't negative.
>
>I think that is the case with a lot of recycling then of course much of
>the 'recycled' items just go to landfill.
>
>I remember a friend on Skye telling me that he watched the 'recycled'
>glass being tipped into the same lorry as the stuff going to landfill.
>A lot of 'recycling' is just a box-ticking exercise.

Yes, that sort of thing happens a lot (not every council has facilities
to everything all of the time) but the materials in question are
processed through existing channels and not (as I suspect recycling
coffee pods would be) through a completely new channel with all of its
additional set-up and operating costs.
--
Roland Perry

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc5lf5$96mt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35340&group=uk.railway#35340

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:27:51 +0100
 by: ColinR - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:27 UTC

On 30/07/2022 13:34, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:

>>> I do not know about others, but Dolce Gusto pods are plastic, not metal.
>>> There is a foil top though so maybe a little metal. OK, that goes on to
>>> the single use plastic argument!!
>>
>> There are also the rarer metals used to make the chip which authorises
>> the machine to brew the coffee by identifying it as a "genuine" pod.
>> They are single-use, and complicate recycling of the rest of the pod.
>>

> I can only find references to one brand (which I'd never heard of) using a
> system like that, and they seem to have abandoned it in 2017
> <https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/11/keurig-takes-steps-towards-abandoning-coffee-pod-drm>
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver

Tend to agree, Dolce Gusto machines work with third party pods (the
Co-op for example).

--
Colin

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<62e7c5a5.181574296@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35430&group=uk.railway#35430

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 12:32:54 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:32 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>most members of the group over the years.
>
>My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>Prices range from �9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

What has become of the group? The question would have been how long
to let tea stew in the pot before it had reached optimum.

And on coffee, it's one of those blade machines, press the button,
whirr for a few seconds, stop, then do again, check the coffee with
fingers, repeat till right. Put coffee in a Moka pot filling a
patting down to the desired consistency and then let it slowly
splutter away. All equipment in use is at least 50yrs old and used as
my mother taught me.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tc92re$127ad$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35453&group=uk.railway#35453

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 17:34:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ClCx1wl+1zYxV1D8knsB2YmX4Ew=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 17:34 UTC

AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>> most members of the group over the years.
>>
>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>> Prices range from 」9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>
> What has become of the group? The question would have been how long
> to let tea stew in the pot before it had reached optimum.
>
> And on coffee, it's one of those blade machines, press the button,
> whirr for a few seconds, stop, then do again, check the coffee with
> fingers, repeat till right. Put coffee in a Moka pot filling a
> patting down to the desired consistency and then let it slowly
> splutter away. All equipment in use is at least 50yrs old and used as
> my mother taught me.

My grandfather used to have a glass Cona machine with a little spirit lamp
under it.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk