aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

SubjectAuthor
* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Paul Carmichael
+* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?sweller
> [...]
|| |`* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Mark Olson
|| | +- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownEddie
|| | +- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Champ
|| | `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Pipl
|| `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblownTurby
||  `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblownYTC#1
||   `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Dave Brown
||    `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownYTC#1
|`* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Dave Brown
| `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Buzby
`- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownMike Fleming

Pages:123
The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<pan$6b19d$610d82d5$2538db19$5aa69b5@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4317&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4317

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?
Date: 28 Sep 2021 09:22:44 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:22 UTC

On the telly I see massive queues at filling stations with people
fighting on the forecourts. And apparently, every supermarket shelf in
the country is empty. But Boris has relented and said Johnny Furriner can
get back to work there after all. I think some prices may rise if all
this is true. Is it?

Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irg7ggF6jnhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4318&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4318

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 28 Sep 2021 10:01:52 GMT
 by: sweller - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:01 UTC

Paul Carmichael wrote:

> Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
> seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.

There are huge queues at all the petrol stations - the three along the
A27 between Lewes and Brighton had queues out into the dual carriageway.

The ones I have seen close up (from the the top deck of a bus,
yesterday) didn't have diesel or unleaded (just super) or in the case
of a BP in Lewes completely shut.

Which is a bit of a worry as I need to do 400 miles on Friday and the
car's fuel light is on.

The supermarkets have had limited ranges (like my car has ATM) for a
couple of weeks now.

I'd say it isn't overblown - the supply chain is in serious
difficulties.

--
Simon

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4320&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4320

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:15:40 +0100
 by: Champ - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:15 UTC

On 28 Sep 2021 09:22:44 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On the telly I see massive queues at filling stations with people
>fighting on the forecourts. And apparently, every supermarket shelf in
>the country is empty. But Boris has relented and said Johnny Furriner can
>get back to work there after all. I think some prices may rise if all
>this is true. Is it?

>Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
>seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.

I don't believe Oxfordshire counts as a 'home county' (but maybe it
does), but reports from one of V's kids in a small market town is that
the 3 local petrol stations are shut (with no fuel), as is the petrol
station at the local Sainsburys.

I don't know about supermarket shelves - all I've seen is photos on
twitter.

Here on God's Own Island everything is fine. I imagine we'd switch to
shipping in from Eire or NI [1] if things started to get squeaky

[1] which, apparently, is unaffected - it's still in the Single Market
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<MPG.3bbd01a0d379ff81989744@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4321&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4321

From: petrol...@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:41:06 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:41 UTC

In article <mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com>,
Champ says...

> I don't know about supermarket shelves - all I've seen is photos on
> twitter.

The shelves are far from empty but there are increasing
gaps.
> Here on God's Own Island everything is fine. I imagine we'd switch to
> shipping in from Eire or NI [1] if things started to get squeaky
>
> [1] which, apparently, is unaffected - it's still in the Single Market

Thank goodness they have the protocol :)

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<siusi4$471$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4324&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4324

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:59:14 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:59 UTC

On 28/09/2021 11:01, sweller wrote:
> Paul Carmichael wrote:
>
>> Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
>> seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.
>
> There are huge queues at all the petrol stations - the three along the

Not all.

I did pass 2 stations while on my 80 mile round trip earlier that had
next to no queues (but £1.49/ltr). I didn't need it then, so waited
until home and filled then as normal. (small 10 min queue).

> A27 between Lewes and Brighton had queues out into the dual carriageway.
>
> The ones I have seen close up (from the the top deck of a bus,
> yesterday) didn't have diesel or unleaded (just super) or in the case
> of a BP in Lewes completely shut.
>
> Which is a bit of a worry as I need to do 400 miles on Friday and the
> car's fuel light is on.

Just go out and get it when everyone else has gone to bed.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irgb8dF7a43U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4325&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4325

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:05:49 +0100
 by: AJH - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:05 UTC

On 28/09/2021 11:59, YTC#1 wrote:
> Just go out and get it when everyone else has gone to bed.

Wouldn't work here as the queues form after a delivery, that lasts three
hours and then they shut again. I imagine motorway services are the best
bet.

Both Waitrose and Co-Op ( local to me) have reduced ranges on the
shelves with obvious empty gaps.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<siuu7j$iku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4326&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4326

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:27:45 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:27 UTC

On 28/09/2021 12:05, AJH wrote:
> On 28/09/2021 11:59, YTC#1 wrote:
>> Just go out and get it when everyone else has gone to bed.
>

> Wouldn't work here as the queues form after a delivery, that lasts three
> hours and then they shut again. I imagine motorway services are the best
> bet.
>
> Both Waitrose and Co-Op ( local to me) have reduced ranges on the
> shelves with obvious empty gaps.

Move to a less pikey area.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<e236lgtle9baf73n13rk4d4ebmcliuvodm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4327&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4327

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:37:16 +0200
 by: Ace - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:37 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:27:45 +0100, YTC#1
<bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>On 28/09/2021 12:05, AJH wrote:
>> On 28/09/2021 11:59, YTC#1 wrote:
>>> Just go out and get it when everyone else has gone to bed.
>>

>> Wouldn't work here as the queues form after a delivery, that lasts three
>> hours and then they shut again. I imagine motorway services are the best
>> bet.
>>
>> Both Waitrose and Co-Op ( local to me) have reduced ranges on the
>> shelves with obvious empty gaps.
>
>Move to a less pikey country.

FTFY.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<siv4g1$2et$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4328&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4328

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:14:39 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:14 UTC

On 28/09/2021 13:37, Ace wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:27:45 +0100, YTC#1
> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't work here as the queues form after a delivery, that lasts three
>>> hours and then they shut again. I imagine motorway services are the best
>>> bet.
>>>
>>> Both Waitrose and Co-Op ( local to me) have reduced ranges on the
>>> shelves with obvious empty gaps.
>>
>> Move to a less pikey country.
>
> FTFY.

If only I still could ........

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<216a00d4-c881-41df-82ff-d4fc333c9ab8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4329&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4329

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 06:16:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:16 UTC

sweller wrote:
> Paul Carmichael wrote:
>
> > Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
> > seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.
>
> There are huge queues at all the petrol stations - the three along the
> A27 between Lewes and Brighton had queues out into the dual carriageway.
>
> The ones I have seen close up (from the the top deck of a bus,
> yesterday) didn't have diesel or unleaded (just super) or in the case
> of a BP in Lewes completely shut.

I was hunting for fuel on the way back from Devon at the weekend. First five places I tried were completely dry on all pumps. Eventually found an ASDA in Somerset that had clearly just had a delivery, as the queue built up behind me minutes after I got there, and that was capping purchases at 30 quid (though easily circumvented by using a couple of different cards). All of the rest I went past either had queues or were dry, and the overhead signs on the motorway said pretty much all the services were dry as well. Driving down, on Friday, I couldn't get near any supermarket with a petrol station because they all had queues back as far as the main road.

Supermarket shelves have been half-empty for months, so nothing new there.

I'll be keen to see whether I can get diesel for the van on Saturday. I've always got unleaded in the garage, as I need it for the hillclimb bikes, but I've only got a few litres of diesel in a can.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<iv56lgdl5ragmso8g109cmcj2ht0a2ae32@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4330&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4330

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:27:49 +0100
 by: Champ - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:27 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:41:06 +0100, petrolcan <petrolcan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com>,
>Champ says...

>> Here on God's Own Island everything is fine. I imagine we'd switch to
>> shipping in from Eire or NI [1] if things started to get squeaky
>>
>> [1] which, apparently, is unaffected - it's still in the Single Market

>Thank goodness they have the protocol :)

I know!

Apparently the DUP are still arguing to get rid of it, tho I can't see
many NI voters looking over the water and wanting to be in the same
boat as the UK
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<siv6r3$jir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4331&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4331

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54:41 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:54 UTC

On 28/09/2021 14:16, ogden wrote:
> sweller wrote:
>> Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>
>>> Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
>>> seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.
>>
>> There are huge queues at all the petrol stations - the three along the
>> A27 between Lewes and Brighton had queues out into the dual carriageway.
>>
>> The ones I have seen close up (from the the top deck of a bus,
>> yesterday) didn't have diesel or unleaded (just super) or in the case
>> of a BP in Lewes completely shut.
>
> I was hunting for fuel on the way back from Devon at the weekend. First five places I tried were completely dry on all pumps. Eventually found an ASDA in Somerset that had clearly just had a delivery, as the queue built up behind me minutes after I got there, and that was capping purchases at 30 quid (though easily circumvented by using a couple of different cards). All of the rest I went past either had queues or were dry, and the overhead signs on the motorway said pretty much all the services were dry as well. Driving down, on Friday, I couldn't get near any supermarket with a petrol station because they all had queues back as far as the main road.

Must be a southern thing

> Supermarket shelves have been half-empty for months, so nothing new there.

Again, southern issue? Not been a problem around here. (yet)

> I'll be keen to see whether I can get diesel for the van on Saturday. I've always got unleaded in the garage, as I need it for the hillclimb bikes, but I've only got a few litres of diesel in a can.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<siv8cu$tg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4332

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:21:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:21 UTC

ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com> wrote:
> sweller wrote:
>> Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>

> I'll be keen to see whether I can get diesel for the van on Saturday. I've always got unleaded in the garage, as I need it for the hillclimb bikes, but I've only got a few litres of diesel in a can.

Go to a fuel distribution depot, buy a 220 litre drum and a drum pump.
Engine lift and a rope in a drum knot to get it off the van into your garage.
imples.
--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irgmorF9h51U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4333

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:22:19 +0100
 by: AJH - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:22 UTC

On 28/09/2021 12:27, YTC#1 wrote:
> Move to a less pikey area.
Not really inclined to and this current blip won't affect me until I
decide to fill up and the price has increased 5%.

I wouldn't describe these panic buyershere as pikeys, they're mostly
very wealthy professional sector, many previously commuted to London
daily. They are nearly all precious and "entitled" and true blue

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<59cf047d-4398-4038-bc53-18d82d217353n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4334&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4334

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:57 UTC

On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 11:15:44 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2021 09:22:44 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On the telly I see massive queues at filling stations with people
> >fighting on the forecourts. And apparently, every supermarket shelf in
> >the country is empty. But Boris has relented and said Johnny Furriner can
> >get back to work there after all. I think some prices may rise if all
> >this is true. Is it?
>
> >Some Brits that just arrived told me it's all bollocks and what we're
> >seeing is just in one tiny corner of the home counties.
> I don't believe Oxfordshire counts as a 'home county' (but maybe it
> does), but reports from one of V's kids in a small market town is that
> the 3 local petrol stations are shut (with no fuel), as is the petrol
> station at the local Sainsburys.

In Bath there are at empty petrol stations and traffic chaos with queuing
for the ones that had fuel. One garage got a delivery at 1AM and people
descended shortly after- they expected to empty by 11...

> I don't know about supermarket shelves - all I've seen is photos on
> twitter.

I've noticed odd things missing and gluts of other stuff. Many perishables
(fruit+veg+fish+meat) seem to have shorter use by dates.

I couldn't buy Brie, Croissants or Pectin today. Fish counter a little bare.
The wine racks looked a little empty too, ditto with tonic water.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<MPG.3bbd441d43221911989745@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4338&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4338

From: petrol...@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:24:51 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:24 UTC

In article <iv56lgdl5ragmso8g109cmcj2ht0a2ae32@4ax.com>,
Champ says...

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:41:06 +0100, petrolcan <petrolcan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com>,
> >Champ says...
>
> >> Here on God's Own Island everything is fine. I imagine we'd switch to
> >> shipping in from Eire or NI [1] if things started to get squeaky
> >>
> >> [1] which, apparently, is unaffected - it's still in the Single Market
>
> >Thank goodness they have the protocol :)
>
> I know!
>
> Apparently the DUP are still arguing to get rid of it, tho I can't see
> many NI voters looking over the water and wanting to be in the same
> boat as the UK

There's a vocal minority crying about the protocol but
that's mainly those that identify as PUL(1). The main fear
seems to be based upon NI having a catholic majority and
therefore a CNR FM. It provides me with moments of
amusement watching them rant into their echo chambers.

(1) Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist
(2) Catholic, Nationalist, Republican

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<vec6lglhp44pokop6qi99pba2forli7b3h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4339&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4339

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:31:00 +0100
 by: Champ - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:31 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54:41 +0100, YTC#1
<bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>Must be a southern thing

Do you realise that you often sound like a professional northerner
with your frequent remarks like this?

You personally may not have seen queues at petrol stations, but I'm
pretty confident it's not "just a southern thing":

- "Queues forming at petrol stations the length and breadth of the
UK", from the Scottish Politics section of The Press and Journal,
based in Inverness and Aberdeen
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/3500705/explainer-what-is-causing-the-uks-fuel-crisis-and-panic-at-the-pumps/

- "Independent brands say 90% of petrol station sites are dry", from
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-fuel-crisis-petrol-station-sites-dry-091207343.html
One might assume that more than 10% of independent petrol retailers
are in the north

- "Dry Pumpa at Heap Bridge garage", from
https://twitter.com/TomGeorgeMEN/status/1442561842644242432, reported
by Tom George, who covers Bury, Bolton and Wigan for the Manchester
Evening News

- "The Northern Echo is bringing you the latest coverage on the fuel
crisis in the North East, North Yorkshire and the rest of the UK",
from
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19609640.petrol-crisis-live-updates-army-standby-chaos-fuel-pumps/
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<5bd6lgtgceb8sb479rb1ia4mcf7rl665dl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4340&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4340

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:32:39 +0100
 by: Champ - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:32 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>I couldn't buy Brie, Croissants or Pectin today

You do realise you sound like the quintessential middle-class
remainer, here, don't you :-)

I don't even know what the last thing on your list is (yes, I know I
could look it up)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sivh1u$7m7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4341&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4341

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:49:01 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:49 UTC

On 28/09/2021 16:31, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54:41 +0100, YTC#1
> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Must be a southern thing
>
> Do you realise that you often sound like a professional northerner
> with your frequent remarks like this?

Yes, and proud :-)

It's not far off how you mention things are so rosy on the IoM. Which is
another way of saying "it must be a mainland thing".

So, I presume it would be OK if I said "It is Ok in the north".

> You personally may not have seen queues at petrol stations, but I'm
> pretty confident it's not "just a southern thing":

I've seen some, just not major ones that others are talking about. For
instance today I went past 2 Mway services, both had fuel queues, but
not stretching to the Mway.

Yesterday I cycled passed some local stations, and again again nothing
major.

And the 2 times I have been for petrol (1xcar and 1xbike) it has been
about 10 mins queing.

> - "Queues forming at petrol stations the length and breadth of the
> UK", from the Scottish Politics section of The Press and Journal,
> based in Inverness and Aberdeen
> https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/3500705/explainer-what-is-causing-the-uks-fuel-crisis-and-panic-at-the-pumps/
>
> - "Independent brands say 90% of petrol station sites are dry", from
> https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-fuel-crisis-petrol-station-sites-dry-091207343.html
> One might assume that more than 10% of independent petrol retailers
> are in the north
>
> - "Dry Pumpa at Heap Bridge garage", from
> https://twitter.com/TomGeorgeMEN/status/1442561842644242432, reported
> by Tom George, who covers Bury, Bolton and Wigan for the Manchester
> Evening News
>
> - "The Northern Echo is bringing you the latest coverage on the fuel
> crisis in the North East, North Yorkshire and the rest of the UK",
> from
> https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19609640.petrol-crisis-live-updates-army-standby-chaos-fuel-pumps/

And isn't it the press/media that started all this last week when they
reported 5 petrol stations shut?

Of course they are going to hunt out the worst excesses.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irh3efFbt9hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4342

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 28 Sep 2021 17:58:39 GMT
 by: sweller - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 17:58 UTC

AJH wrote:

> I wouldn't describe these panic buyershere as pikeys, they're mostly
> very wealthy professional sector, many previously commuted to London
> daily. They are nearly all precious and "entitled" and true blue

Most I saw in the queues seemed to be various work vans and various
normal cars. Social class or demographic doesn't seem to have much to
do with it.

Fear of not having fuel is a powerful motivator and if everyone else is
panic buying it's not irrational behaviour to also fill up.

--
Simon

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<23807705-9a48-42f1-b08b-dbf5f1b47414n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4343&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4343

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 18:00 UTC

On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 16:32:43 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
> <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I couldn't buy Brie, Croissants or Pectin today
> You do realise you sound like the quintessential middle-class
> remainer, here, don't you :-)

Well...

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<0dfdc181-9a41-41e1-9ecb-9cf190f687b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4344&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4344

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 18:03 UTC

On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 17:49:04 UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:

> And isn't it the press/media that started all this last week when they
> reported 5 petrol stations shut?

Partially. I think it really kicked off when our cabinet of liars had a coordinated 'everything's fine, don't panic' session on twitter.
Then we knew we were fucked.
> Of course they are going to hunt out the worst excesses.

It's kind of their job.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sivp0g$79m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4346&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4346

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 20:04:46 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:04 UTC

On 28/09/2021 18:58, sweller wrote:
> AJH wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't describe these panic buyershere as pikeys, they're mostly
>> very wealthy professional sector, many previously commuted to London
>> daily. They are nearly all precious and "entitled" and true blue
>
> Most I saw in the queues seemed to be various work vans and various
> normal cars. Social class or demographic doesn't seem to have much to
> do with it.
>
> Fear of not having fuel is a powerful motivator and if everyone else is
> panic buying it's not irrational behaviour to also fill up.

I tend to disagree, it is irrational behaviour. The rational thing to do
is stand back and wait for the panic to finish.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sivp3o$79m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4347&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4347

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 20:06:30 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:06 UTC

On 28/09/2021 19:03, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 17:49:04 UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:
>
>> And isn't it the press/media that started all this last week when they
>> reported 5 petrol stations shut?
>
> Partially. I think it really kicked off when our cabinet of liars had a coordinated 'everything's fine, don't panic' session on twitter.
> Then we knew we were fucked.

Indeed, it was interesting listening to it progress between bulletins
during the morning.

>> Of course they are going to hunt out the worst excesses.
>
> It's kind of their job.

Hmmm, these days maybe, because it increases ad revenue.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<06u6lgp17mnu6rbbuu1lpqabh1ba6240o5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4348&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4348

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:27:45 +0100
 by: Pipl - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 20:27 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 11:15:44 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
>> I don't know about supermarket shelves - all I've seen is photos on
>> twitter.
>
>I've noticed odd things missing and gluts of other stuff. Many perishables
>(fruit+veg+fish+meat) seem to have shorter use by dates.

Here in Her Majesty's Glorious East, we have found that milk was going
off very quickly (but seems to have improved of late), but generally,
supermarket shortages are rare.

Fuel, on the other hand... I had to siphon fuel from the 10R to put
into the KTM on Saturday. On the way back from the MX track, one
station had a short queue, but unfortunately directly into a busy
A-road, another (BP) had all its pumps coned off. A third had queues
backing onto a roundabout. Car reckons it's got >100 miles of fuel, so
I can still commute if needed.

Other than that, a smug git with an electric bike writes.

>I couldn't buy Brie, Croissants or Pectin today. Fish counter a little bare.
>The wine racks looked a little empty too, ditto with tonic water.

Oh the humanity!

--

-Pip