An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

SubjectAuthor
* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Paul Carmichael
+* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?sweller
> [...]
|| |`* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Mark Olson
|| | +- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownEddie
|| | +- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Champ
|| | `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Pipl
|| `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblownTurby
||  `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblownYTC#1
||   `* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Dave Brown
||    `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownYTC#1
|`* The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Dave Brown
| `- The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?Buzby
`- The current thing over there - is it really just overblownMike Fleming

Pages:123
Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj515g$sh3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4445&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4445

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown
reporting?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:54:40 -0700
 by: Turby - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:54 UTC

On 9/30/2021 8:42 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 11:38:57 PM UTC+1, ogden wrote:
>> Stephen Packer wrote:
>>> I couldn't buy Brie, Croissants or Pectin today. Fish counter a little bare.
>>> The wine racks looked a little empty too, ditto with tonic water.
>> I could *only* buy Brie, croissants and quails' eggs today, because the only supermarket I could get anywhere near was a Waitrose, it being the only one locally that doesn't have a petrol station. I've seen main roads in Surbiton and Epsom today completely blocked by queues for petrol.
>>
>> I'm starting to feel wistful for the days when I could get into a supermarket only to find the shelves empty.
>>
>> Hopefully things will be getting a bit more sensible by Saturday, because I'll need to score 400 miles' worth of diesel and I've only got 10 litres in the garage.
>
> Good luck at HQ. Would have popped down to support you & Si, but have a prior commitment.
> I was judging at a BBQ competition near Barnstable a few weeks ago and popped in with a mate on the Saturday, can confirm the pasties are as good as ever ;-)

Unh, pasties are what strippers wear, right?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj51gc$1hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4446&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4446

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:00:26 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:00 UTC

On 30/09/2021 19:54, Turby wrote:
> On 9/30/2021 8:42 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
>>> I could *only* buy Brie, croissants and quails' eggs today, because
>>> the only supermarket I could get anywhere near was a Waitrose, it
>>> being the only one locally that doesn't have a petrol station. I've
>>> seen main roads in Surbiton and Epsom today completely blocked by
>>> queues for petrol.
>>>
>>> I'm starting to feel wistful for the days when I could get into a
>>> supermarket only to find the shelves empty.
>>>
>>> Hopefully things will be getting a bit more sensible by Saturday,
>>> because I'll need to score 400 miles' worth of diesel and I've only
>>> got 10 litres in the garage.
>>
>> Good luck at HQ. Would have popped down to support you & Si, but have
>> a prior commitment.
>> I was judging at a BBQ competition near Barnstable a few weeks ago and
>> popped in with a mate on the Saturday, can confirm the pasties are as
>> good as ever ;-)
>>
> Unh, pasties are what strippers wear, right?

Only the Cornish ones.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<4f3clgpgft00higs7tmrs8405478e73dte@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4448&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4448

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:20:18 +0100
 by: Pipl - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:20 UTC

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:53:09 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>petrolcan <petrolcan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In article <b01f8348-6cff-46ff-bf75-
>> af5d27343ce7n@googlegroups.com>, ogden says...
>
>>> Hopefully things will be getting a bit more sensible by Saturday,
>>> because I'll need to score 400 miles' worth of diesel and I've only
>>> got 10 litres in the garage.
>>
>> If you're proper stuck, pop over here and siphon some from
>> the full tank of my broken down motor.
>
>It's getting all a bit Mad Max from where I'm sitting.

Hubcaps for collecting tins....

--

-Pip

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<XnsADB5D7187F6E0wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4450&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4450

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:08:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:08 UTC

Dave Brown <browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote in

> On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 12:05:52 PM UTC+1, AJH wrote:
>> On 28/09/2021 11:59, YTC#1 wrote:
>> > Just go out and get it when everyone else has gone to bed.
>> Wouldn't work here as the queues form after a delivery, that lasts
>> three hours and then they shut again. I imagine motorway services are
>> the best bet.
>
> Coming up the M40 last night every single Matrix was showing a message
> "No fuel at xxx Services", that was all of them between M25 and A34
> (which is about 2 I think).

M6/M5 from Stafford to Strensham was saying no diesel today at all
services.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<XnsADB5DEAFDA1B6wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4451&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4451

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:53:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:53 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54:41 +0100, YTC#1
> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Must be a southern thing

Not quite. It's an urban thing.

> Do you realise that you often sound like a professional northerner
> with your frequent remarks like this?
>
> You personally may not have seen queues at petrol stations, but I'm
> pretty confident it's not "just a southern thing":

I have just got back from a 1020 mile round trip to parts north.
Facebook readers will have seen the regualr reports but just for you &
YTC.

On the way up the A49 last Friday I did not see much in the way of fuel
shortages. I was riding around rural Lancashire in Saturday afternoon.
No shortages evident. Passed through Preston to my hotel, a few small
queues. I filled up at a BP that had unleaded but no diesel. No queue.

More Lancs & Yorks rural roads the next day. Didn't refuel. The morning
was riding with a few people from the internet. Two had pulled out due
to fuel anxiety.

Stayed in Reeth, nearby Tesco at Catterick Garrison operating normally
on Monday morning. Gave the bike some 99 Momentum.

Further north through Northumberland into Scottish Borders. Morrisons in
Hawick operating with a very small queue not unusual for school run
time.

2 nights in Moffat. Day trip on Tuesday, both Esso & Gulf in Moffat had
fuel and no queues after my 110 mile loop.

Coming south, things were still much the same until I went into
Clitheroe to refuel after a lap of the Forest of Bowland. BP dry but the
Gulf down the road had all fuel types and was one of their nice pay at
pump places that are cropping up.

Got the 12 miles to my hotel and home today on that one tank of Gulf
E10, so about 190 miles, with 9 miles left on the display. As I
approached the more urban parts, down towards the M66 the situation
seemed to change with shortages more evident, especially diesel with
motorway matrix signs saying no diesel at next services.

As I listened to PM on R4 the reporter seemed to confirm my anecdotal
evidence. Things are better in Scotland and Northern England, once you
go north of the major conurbations. I guess that is just a factor of
population density and that there aren't so many tourists about.

For me, the only place I have queued for fuel was getting back to
Sainsbury's in Cheltenham. They only had diesel on one row of 3 pumps so
when I enquired the attendant waved me to the free unleaded pump on the
other side, past some disgruntled car drivers who could not fit past the
diesel queue.

It has been a long time since I covered as many miles in a week and I
was not going to let the herd hoarding mentality put me off. I'm really
glad I made the effort as it has been a lovely trip. Really pleased I
have made investment in proper Goretex clothing as my Daytona boots,
Rukka jacket, trousers and gloves meant I even enjoyed the wetter days.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<XnsADB61F7A1E04wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4456&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4456

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:11:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:11 UTC

Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote in

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
> <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 11:15:44 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
>>> I don't know about supermarket shelves - all I've seen is photos on
>>> twitter.
>>
>>I've noticed odd things missing and gluts of other stuff. Many
>>perishables (fruit+veg+fish+meat) seem to have shorter use by dates.
>
> Here in Her Majesty's Glorious East, we have found that milk was going
> off very quickly (but seems to have improved of late), but generally,
> supermarket shortages are rare.

yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by date

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<15eb206d-b467-4927-adca-8546a86566a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4460&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4460

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 01:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 08:39 UTC

On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 8:00:30 PM UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 30/09/2021 19:54, Turby wrote:

> >> Good luck at HQ. Would have popped down to support you & Si, but have
> >> a prior commitment.
> >> I was judging at a BBQ competition near Barnstable a few weeks ago and
> >> popped in with a mate on the Saturday, can confirm the pasties are as
> >> good as ever ;-)
> >>
> > Unh, pasties are what strippers wear, right?
> >
> Only the Cornish ones.

If you're ever near Barnstaple then LJ's Pantry will change your mind. Well worth tracking down.
She no longer sells them from where she creates them, but loads of shops and service stations round there stock them.
They really are off the scale.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<01a12d5e-0d95-481d-8859-fbb502a4bd48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4461&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4461

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 01:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 08:41 UTC

On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 12:11:38 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
> Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
> > <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>I've noticed odd things missing and gluts of other stuff. Many
> >>perishables (fruit+veg+fish+meat) seem to have shorter use by dates.
> >
> > Here in Her Majesty's Glorious East, we have found that milk was going
> > off very quickly (but seems to have improved of late), but generally,
> > supermarket shortages are rare.
>
> yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by date

We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that lasts for friggin ages.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<iro11qFln7aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4462&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4462

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 1 Oct 2021 09:00:42 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:00 UTC

Dave Brown wrote:

> > yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by
> > date
>
> We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that
> lasts for friggin ages.

So have I. I'm not sure how it works but it definitely has a long life
and tastes no different (just as well, as I'm not a fan of milk and
only use it in tea or cooking).

--
Simon

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<XnsADB6674514972wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4464&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4464

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:09 UTC

> On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 12:11:38 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>> Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in

>> > Here in Her Majesty's Glorious East, we have found that milk was
>> > going off very quickly (but seems to have improved of late), but
>> > generally, supermarket shortages are rare.
>>
>> yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by
>> date
>
> We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that
> lasts for friggin ages.

the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the 4 pint
containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling just 43%
more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it going off before you
finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper. As PipL alludes, this is
more likely in the current situation with challenging logisitics as pallets
of milk may be left on loading bays longer than ideal, warming up a bit
which will reduce shelf life.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<cc4b318f-d09a-4faa-9a42-f84ef4007fffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4465&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4465

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 02:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:09 UTC

On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 10:00:45 AM UTC+1, sweller wrote:
> Dave Brown wrote:
>
> > > yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by
> > > date
> >
> > We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that
> > lasts for friggin ages.
> So have I. I'm not sure how it works but it definitely has a long life
> and tastes no different (just as well, as I'm not a fan of milk and
> only use it in tea or cooking).

Ditto, coffee here (we always have pot of filter on the go in the workshop).

Used to drink it as a kid, but just find it gives me kitten breath these days.

According to the Interwebs:
"The combination of microfiltration, and a light blocking container, provides an extended lifespan of up to three weeks when refrigerated, for which a premium is charged."

Throwing less away makes up for the "Premium" price here.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj6ss1$fua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4470&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4470

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:53:34 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:53 UTC

On 30/09/2021 21:53, wessie wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54:41 +0100, YTC#1
>> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Must be a southern thing
>>

> Not quite. It's an urban thing.
>
>> Do you realise that you often sound like a professional northerner
>> with your frequent remarks like this?
>>
>> You personally may not have seen queues at petrol stations, but I'm
>> pretty confident it's not "just a southern thing":
>>

> I have just got back from a 1020 mile round trip to parts north.
> Facebook readers will have seen the regualr reports but just for you &
> YTC.
>
> On the way up the A49 last Friday I did not see much in the way of fuel
> shortages. I was riding around rural Lancashire in Saturday afternoon.
> No shortages evident. Passed through Preston to my hotel, a few small
> queues. I filled up at a BP that had unleaded but no diesel. No queue.
>
> More Lancs & Yorks rural roads the next day. Didn't refuel. The morning
> was riding with a few people from the internet. Two had pulled out due
> to fuel anxiety.
>
> Stayed in Reeth, nearby Tesco at Catterick Garrison operating normally
> on Monday morning. Gave the bike some 99 Momentum.
>
> Further north through Northumberland into Scottish Borders. Morrisons in
> Hawick operating with a very small queue not unusual for school run
> time.
>
> 2 nights in Moffat. Day trip on Tuesday, both Esso & Gulf in Moffat had
> fuel and no queues after my 110 mile loop.

Nice Moffat, we stay there sometimes when heading to parts further North

> Coming south, things were still much the same until I went into
> Clitheroe to refuel after a lap of the Forest of Bowland. BP dry but the
> Gulf down the road had all fuel types and was one of their nice pay at
> pump places that are cropping up.
>
> Got the 12 miles to my hotel and home today on that one tank of Gulf
> E10, so about 190 miles, with 9 miles left on the display. As I
> approached the more urban parts, down towards the M66 the situation
> seemed to change with shortages more evident, especially diesel with
> motorway matrix signs saying no diesel at next services.
>
> As I listened to PM on R4 the reporter seemed to confirm my anecdotal
> evidence. Things are better in Scotland and Northern England, once you
> go north of the major conurbations. I guess that is just a factor of
> population density and that there aren't so many tourists about.

Wales wasn't too bad last weekend (Mold/Ruthin), but Betws and LLanwrst
had big queues (according to the man who stopped to chat while we were
fencing)

> For me, the only place I have queued for fuel was getting back to
> Sainsbury's in Cheltenham. They only had diesel on one row of 3 pumps so
> when I enquired the attendant waved me to the free unleaded pump on the
> other side, past some disgruntled car drivers who could not fit past the
> diesel queue.
>
> It has been a long time since I covered as many miles in a week and I
> was not going to let the herd hoarding mentality put me off. I'm really
> glad I made the effort as it has been a lovely trip. Really pleased I
> have made investment in proper Goretex clothing as my Daytona boots,
> Rukka jacket, trousers and gloves meant I even enjoyed the wetter days.

Nice little trip, rain usually puts me off (even with the gortex), but
had a good run to NI last month.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<iroie2Fp00mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4471&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4471

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 1 Oct 2021 13:57:22 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:57 UTC

Dave Brown wrote:

> Throwing less away makes up for the "Premium" price here.

+1 and not having off milk in your tea is a bonus.

--
Simon

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<h45elglgakic7tmaapbq1lctbrmdfqi5pc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4472&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4472

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 15:02:40 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:02 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:53:34 +0100, YTC#1
<bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>Wales wasn't too bad last weekend (Mold/Ruthin), but Betws and LLanwrst
>had big queues (according to the man who stopped to chat while we were
>fencing)

en garde!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj74lh$hm7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4473&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4473

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:06:41 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:06 UTC

On 01/10/2021 10:09, wessie wrote:
> Dave Brown <browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 12:11:38 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>>> Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in

>>> yes, it's annoying when milks's not useable a week after the use by
>>> date
>>
>> We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that
>> lasts for friggin ages.
>
> the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the 4 pint
> containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling just 43%
> more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it going off before you
> finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper. As PipL alludes, this is
> more likely in the current situation with challenging logisitics as pallets
> of milk may be left on loading bays longer than ideal, warming up a bit
> which will reduce shelf life.

We've gone back in time and have it delivered in bottles again.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj74mt$hm7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4474&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4474

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:07:25 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:07 UTC

On 01/10/2021 09:39, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 8:00:30 PM UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> Unh, pasties are what strippers wear, right?
>>>
>> Only the Cornish ones.
>
> If you're ever near Barnstaple then LJ's Pantry will change your mind. Well worth tracking down.
> She no longer sells them from where she creates them, but loads of shops and service stations round there stock them.
> They really are off the scale.

Maybe when Jean's coastal walk gets near there.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj74u4$hm7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4475&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4475

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:11:16 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:11 UTC

On 01/10/2021 15:02, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:53:34 +0100, YTC#1
> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Wales wasn't too bad last weekend (Mold/Ruthin), but Betws and LLanwrst
>> had big queues (according to the man who stopped to chat while we were
>> fencing)
>
> en garde!

Foil(ed)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<nt6elg1ink2vhoq5gh1it37eehkp0mbs2p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4476

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 15:32:44 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:32 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:09:06 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Dave Brown <browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 12:11:38 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>>> Pipl <plus...@live.co.uk> wrote in

>> We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that
>> lasts for friggin ages.
>
>the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the 4 pint
>containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling just 43%
>more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it going off before you
>finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper.

We've kept back a few pint containers, into which over-ordered
semi-skimmed gets decanted and frozen.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irotraFr4jlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4484&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4484

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:12:09 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:12 UTC

On 01/10/2021 10:09, wessie wrote:

> the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the 4 pint
> containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling just 43%
> more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it going off before you
> finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper. As PipL alludes, this is
> more likely in the current situation with challenging logisitics as pallets
> of milk may be left on loading bays longer than ideal, warming up a bit
> which will reduce shelf life.

It's strange the way that some milk is sold in quantities that would
please Remainers, and other in quantities that would please Leavers.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj7fj7$bvj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4485&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4485

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:13:07 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:13 UTC

On 01/10/2021 18:12, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 01/10/2021 10:09, wessie wrote:
>>
>> the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the 4
>> pint
>> containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling just 43%
>> more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it going off
>> before you
>> finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper. As PipL alludes, this is
>> more likely in the current situation with challenging logisitics as
>> pallets
>> of milk may be left on loading bays longer than ideal, warming up a bit
>> which will reduce shelf life.
>
> It's strange the way that some milk is sold in quantities that would
> please Remainers, and other in quantities that would please Leavers.

It's all still in pints innit?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<XnsADB6C13D66345wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4488&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4488

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
References: <pan$6b19d$610d82d5$2538db19$5aa69b5@gmail.com> <mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com> <59cf047d-4398-4038-bc53-18d82d217353n@googlegroups.com> <06u6lgp17mnu6rbbuu1lpqabh1ba6240o5@4ax.com> <XnsADB61F7A1E04wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <01a12d5e-0d95-481d-8859-fbb502a4bd48n@googlegroups.com> <XnsADB6674514972wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <irotraFr4jlU1@mid.individual.net> <sj7fj7$bvj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: wessie - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:59 UTC

YTC#1 <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote in

> On 01/10/2021 18:12, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 01/10/2021 10:09, wessie wrote:
>>>
>>> the pricing of milk encourages you to buy more than you need as the
>>> 4 pint
>>> containers seem to be a loss leader in all supermarkets, selling
>>> just 43% more than the 2 pint one. You then have the risk of it
>>> going off before you
>>> finish the 4 pints but still works out cheaper. As PipL alludes,
>>> this is more likely in the current situation with challenging
>>> logisitics as pallets
>>> of milk may be left on loading bays longer than ideal, warming up a
>>> bit which will reduce shelf life.
>>
>> It's strange the way that some milk is sold in quantities that would
>> please Remainers, and other in quantities that would please Leavers.
>
> It's all still in pints innit?

No, a litre is popular in smaller shops. Obviously bigger than a pint but
not noticeably smaller than 2 pints to most people.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sj7t7j$1cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4499&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4499

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 22:05:55 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 21:05 UTC

On 01/10/2021 18:59, wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote in

>>> It's strange the way that some milk is sold in quantities that would
>>> please Remainers, and other in quantities that would please Leavers.
>>
>> It's all still in pints innit?
>>

> No, a litre is popular in smaller shops. Obviously bigger than a pint but
> not noticeably smaller than 2 pints to most people.

It'll be all white.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<irpe56Fu3jtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4502&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4502

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 22:50:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 21:50 UTC

Dave Brown wrote:

> We started buying that Cravendale Milk a couple of years ago, that lasts for friggin ages.

As someone who uses relatively little milk, and has thrown out gallons of the
stuff over the years ... This.

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<sjeou5$khi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4537&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4537

From: secret.s...@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 12:35:32 +0100
References: <pan$6b19d$610d82d5$2538db19$5aa69b5@gmail.com> <mhq5lgh2g7dunpp70n7halck0jrd40lmln@4ax.com> <59cf047d-4398-4038-bc53-18d82d217353n@googlegroups.com> <06u6lgp17mnu6rbbuu1lpqabh1ba6240o5@4ax.com> <XnsADB61F7A1E04wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <01a12d5e-0d95-481d-8859-fbb502a4bd48n@googlegroups.com> <XnsADB6674514972wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <irotraFr4jlU1@mid.individual.net> <sj7fj7$bvj$1@dont-email.me> <XnsADB6C13D66345wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>
 by: Sqirrel99 - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:35 UTC

wessie wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote in

>>> It's strange the way that some milk is sold in quantities that would
>>> please Remainers, and other in quantities that would please Leavers.
>> It's all still in pints innit?
>>

> No, a litre is popular in smaller shops. Obviously bigger than a pint but
> not noticeably smaller than 2 pints to most people.

"A 'alf litre ain't enough. It don't satisfy. And a 'ole litre's too
much. It starts my bladder running. Let alone the price."

Re: The current thing over there - is it really just overblown reporting?

<is0mdtFbfm3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4550&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4550

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
reporting?
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:54:37 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:54 UTC

On 04/10/2021 12:35, Sqirrel99 wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>> YTC#1 <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote in
>>> It's all still in pints innit?
>>>

>> No, a litre is popular in smaller shops. Obviously bigger than a pint
>> but not noticeably smaller than 2 pints to most people.
>
> "A 'alf litre ain't enough. It don't satisfy. And a 'ole litre's too
> much. It starts my bladder running. Let alone the price."
Ah but that was in 1984 (or something)

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t