From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: HST to Mexico
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:33:25 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:33 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:03:52 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/08/2023 12:37, Recliner wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:32:16 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <kjjondFb384U1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:25:01 on Thu, 10
>>> Aug 2023, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>>> What would be more reasonable to assume is that all this expense is not
>>> being put into futile project on account of the difference in gauge (be
>>> that track or loading gauges).
>>
>> I do wonder how much they intend to spend on refurbishing these rusty old trains. Or are these GWR Castles that have
>> already had the doors and toilets done?
>
>They appeared to be in Stagecoach livery.

I see from Richard Clinnick's original post that the cargo is two GWR power cars and three former LNER Mk 3 trailers
(presumably still in GNER/Virgin livery?).

I see he's also tweeted: "Original plan was for 43170, 3 Castle vehicles and 8 unmodified Mk.3s to go by rail to Newport
and out that way at start of July. The 37s even moved to Ely but the move didn’t happen.
There’s a lot more than 14 vehicles planned to go, but not all to Mexico is my understanding."

Re: HST to Mexico

<ub3b51$fe88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63348&group=uk.railway#63348

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 18:43:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bLMxIeFO2uUC+ckSG2EZNTrgkcM=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 18:43 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:32:16 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <kjjondFb384U1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:25:01 on Thu, 10
>> Aug 2023, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Most people are not railway enthusiasts and the comment “train line width”
>>> suggest they mean gauge of the track.
>>> While Mexico is physically in North America many people because of its
>>> economic situation ,language,and colonisation history associate it more
>>> with the countries of Central and South America amongst which many chose
>>> broader gauges such as 5ft 6” , 5ft 3” or narrower ones such as
>>> 3ft” or 3ft
>>> 6” and even the Panama Canal Railway during the years is was a US
>>> enterprise was the rarer 5ft gauge only changing to std in recent times
>>> since Panama obtained control.
>>> So for a non enthusiast to not automatically assume the Mexican line is std
>>> gauge seems reasonable.
>>
>> What would be more reasonable to assume is that all this expense is not
>> being put into futile project on account of the difference in gauge (be
>> that track or loading gauges).
>
> I do wonder how much they intend to spend on refurbishing these rusty old
> trains. Or are these GWR Castles that have
> already had the doors and toilets done?

No, the carriages are mostly ex-LNER, plus at least one in fGW blue (a TGS
vehicle). The power cars are ex-gWr green ones recently in service:
43158/43022/43170.

Further investigation of pictures on the dockside seem to show a three LNER
TGS vehicles, and one of the carriages is ex-EMR.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ub3b52$fe88$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63349&group=uk.railway#63349

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 18:43:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zX/rOfHBOX5Ec75tlx5hCqi2M5Y=

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:32:16 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <kjjondFb384U1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:25:01 on Thu, 10
>>> Aug 2023, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>>> What would be more reasonable to assume is that all this expense is not
>>> being put into futile project on account of the difference in gauge (be
>>> that track or loading gauges).
>>
>> I do wonder how much they intend to spend on refurbishing these rusty old
>> trains. Or are these GWR Castles that have
>> already had the doors and toilets done?
>>

> I have been wondering if things like aircon are rated or reliable enough to
> cope with the temperatures
> that may be encountered over there.
> Then there are other little things to consider, this new line appears to be
> for tourists so they will probably expect things like power outlets. Mexico
> is 120V 60Hz territory with US style sockets so to convert will take liitle
> longer than just swapping the existing outlets .

Details are a little bit sketchy as yet, but AFAICT the main operator of
the new line has ordered new trains; the HST appears to be for a secondary
operator of some kind.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ub3it6$gkal$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63356&group=uk.railway#63356

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:56:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eFMTzZKn6O8iw0x9vsjalniUA6U=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:56 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:32:16 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <kjjondFb384U1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:25:01 on Thu, 10
>>> Aug 2023, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>>> What would be more reasonable to assume is that all this expense is not
>>> being put into futile project on account of the difference in gauge (be
>>> that track or loading gauges).
>>
>> I do wonder how much they intend to spend on refurbishing these rusty old
>> trains. Or are these GWR Castles that have
>> already had the doors and toilets done?
>>

> No, the carriages are mostly ex-LNER, plus at least one in fGW blue (a TGS
> vehicle). The power cars are ex-gWr green ones recently in service:
> 43158/43022/43170.
>
> Further investigation of pictures on the dockside seem to show a three LNER
> TGS vehicles, and one of the carriages is ex-EMR.

Here's a dock pic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3LwlpXXoAgXkDu?format=jpg&name=large

The ex-EMR vehicle still carries the logo, but the six former VTEC/LNER
cars have the old Virgin colours, but no logo transfers.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ubb1pr$1t8hi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63483&group=uk.railway#63483

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:53:14 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:53 UTC

On 10/08/2023 03:06, Nobody wrote:
> The ship is Antigua and Barbuda registered; wonder who owns her?

The clue is in the name

BBC Chartering GmbH, owned by the Briese Schiffahrt Group, is an
international shipping company based in Leer, Germany.

But looking it up on EQUASIS gives a complicated answer!

https://www.equasis.org/

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug75od$22bid$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66336&group=uk.railway#66336

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:57:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vNTS3oevUvHTMPC50rEtI79LfW8=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:57 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>
> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>
> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
> to save construction costs.

HST running under its own power in Mexico:

https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug78lv$231jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66337&group=uk.railway#66337

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100
 by: Coffee - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:47 UTC

On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>
>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>
>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>> to save construction costs.
>>

> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>
> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Nothing to see here

Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
in a chair for your trouble.

Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.

Re: HST to Mexico

<AqC*cTCsz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66339&group=uk.railway#66339

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 12 Oct 2023 00:17:30 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:17 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
> > Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
> >> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
> >>
> >> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
> >>
> >> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
> >> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
> >> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
> >> to save construction costs.
> >>

> > HST running under its own power in Mexico:
> >
> > https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>
> Nothing to see here
>
> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
> in a chair for your trouble.
>

> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.

https://nitter.net/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796

Re: HST to Mexico

<g1deii18guu6l67amf65mcon6191r5d8gn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66340&group=uk.railway#66340

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:04:15 -0700
 by: Nobody - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 00:04 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100, Coffee
<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>>
>>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>>
>>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>>> to save construction costs.
>>>

>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>
>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>
>Nothing to see here
>
>Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>in a chair for your trouble.
>

>Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.

Strange... the re-named *X* beast worked for myself on Win 11/Firefox
118.0.2, if those could be important.

However, I'm puzzled by part of the poster's *(whatever), "I actually
can't believe this is happening... or that it's a good idea in that
climate."

Might the HST consists and power cars be particularly vulnerable to
the rigours of hum-dimmity?

PS re: *(whatever): if Twitter is now X, what are Tweets called?

An exorcism exercise? The CofE and Roman Kirk have competition.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug8ajl$2d5me$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66346&group=uk.railway#66346

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:26:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:26 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:57:33 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>
>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>
>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>> to save construction costs.
>>

>HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>
>https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>N44ZQ

Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
an odd choice to me.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug8anq$2d68e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66347&group=uk.railway#66347

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:28:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:28 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100
Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
>On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>>
>>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>>
>>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>>> to save construction costs.
>>>

>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>

>https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>N44ZQ
>
>Nothing to see here
>
>Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>in a chair for your trouble.
>

>Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.

Musk has totally fucked it up. Unless you have an account - I don't - then
when you look at someones feed you either get some random tweets from the
last few years or you get a login box. If he's trying to make it irrelevant
he's certainly going the right away about it.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug8b45$2d9bv$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66349&group=uk.railway#66349

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:35:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YQivO4cimp6MaXx/36sqBOS5JBA=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:35 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100
> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>>

>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>> N44ZQ
>>
>> Nothing to see here
>>
>> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>> in a chair for your trouble.
>>

>> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.
>
> Musk has totally fucked it up. Unless you have an account - I don't - then
> when you look at someones feed you either get some random tweets from the
> last few years or you get a login box. If he's trying to make it irrelevant
> he's certainly going the right away about it.

Yes, he has ambitions to turn it into an 'everything' service to replace
eBay, Paypal, Facebook, Uber and others, but is more likely to turn it into
a 'nothing' service.

Re: HST to Mexico

<2pcfiiprvipsfb5chmqiabmp7o274be6p2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66350&group=uk.railway#66350

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:50:12 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:50 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100, Coffee
<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>>
>>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>>
>>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>>> to save construction costs.
>>>

>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>
>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>
>Nothing to see here

Works for me[TM]

Mark

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug8cmb$2dh92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66351&group=uk.railway#66351

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:02:03 +0100
 by: Certes - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:02 UTC

On 12/10/2023 01:04, Nobody wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100, Coffee
> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>>
>>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>>
>> Nothing to see here
>>
>> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>> in a chair for your trouble.
>>

>> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.
>
> Strange... the re-named *X* beast worked for myself on Win 11/Firefox
> 118.0.2, if those could be important.
>
> However, I'm puzzled by part of the poster's *(whatever), "I actually
> can't believe this is happening... or that it's a good idea in that
> climate."
>
> Might the HST consists and power cars be particularly vulnerable to
> the rigours of hum-dimmity?
>
> PS re: *(whatever): if Twitter is now X, what are Tweets called?
>
> An exorcism exercise? The CofE and Roman Kirk have competition.

Xcretions?

I use the Redirector browser extension to replace twitter.com/* by
nitter.net/* automatically, so I'm less troubled by Musk's childish
attempts to manipulate what I see.

Re: HST to Mexico

<yqC*76Esz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66352&group=uk.railway#66352

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 12 Oct 2023 10:22:52 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:22 UTC

Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
> compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
> an odd choice to me.

It seems they've ordered DEMUs from Alstom, so not sure what role the HSTs
will play alongside them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%27Trapolis_Ts%C3%ADimin_K%E2%80%99%C3%A1ak

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug8i21$2er2i$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66353&group=uk.railway#66353

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:33:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aUTtm2haVsXrCvpWpwUHupSsTBQ=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:33 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
>> compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
>> an odd choice to me.
>
> It seems they've ordered DEMUs from Alstom, so not sure what role the HSTs
> will play alongside them:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%27Trapolis_Ts%C3%ADimin_K%E2%80%99%C3%A1ak

Maybe the HSTs are just a stopgap measure to let them start services a bit
earlier?

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug91co$2i6a6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66358&group=uk.railway#66358

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WDKohgdBmGSzj6n/dxaqQJxnYW0=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 22:57, Recliner wrote:
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>>
>>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>>
>>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>>> to save construction costs.
>>>

>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>
>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>
> Nothing to see here
>
> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
> in a chair for your trouble.
>

> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.

I can see it without being logged in.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug91cq$2i6a6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66359&group=uk.railway#66359

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MuHGRmRODjs2TmPk8uT9M6jGZOM=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100, Coffee
> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>>
>>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>>
>> Nothing to see here
>>
>> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>> in a chair for your trouble.
>>

>> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.
>
> Strange... the re-named *X* beast worked for myself on Win 11/Firefox
> 118.0.2, if those could be important.
>

> PS re: *(whatever): if Twitter is now X, what are Tweets called?
>
> An exorcism exercise? The CofE and Roman Kirk have competition.

Change the url to twitter.com if it makes you happier, it still works.

> However, I'm puzzled by part of the poster's *(whatever), "I actually
> can't believe this is happening... or that it's a good idea in that
> climate."
>
> Might the HST consists and power cars be particularly vulnerable to
> the rigours of hum-dimmity?

They used to struggle even in British summers; the power unit cooling
improved after their re-engineering with MTU engines and new cooler groups,
but the carriage aircon has always struggled particularly since the
replacement of the CFC cooling medium with something compliant with modern
regulations. The fact that the carriage aircon runs at significantly less
than full power unless the train is accelerating at full power, doesn't
help matters either…

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug91cr$2i6a6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66360&group=uk.railway#66360

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4ikT3hubLbLOjMJ+yTY1OoLPYHc=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
>> compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
>> an odd choice to me.
>
> It seems they've ordered DEMUs from Alstom, so not sure what role the HSTs
> will play alongside them:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%27Trapolis_Ts%C3%ADimin_K%E2%80%99%C3%A1ak

The HSTs aren't on Tren Maya, they're 300-500 miles west on Corredor
Interoceánico Mexico.

<https://polemon.mx/corredor-interoceanico-la-obra-maritima-mas-importante-de-america-latina/amp/>
has a map.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug91cs$2i6a6$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66361&group=uk.railway#66361

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PrQiEoo0M3Wce/uC7CfMhvTKZrA=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
>>> compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
>>> an odd choice to me.
>>
>> It seems they've ordered DEMUs from Alstom, so not sure what role the HSTs
>> will play alongside them:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%27Trapolis_Ts%C3%ADimin_K%E2%80%99%C3%A1ak
>>

> Maybe the HSTs are just a stopgap measure to let them start services a bit
> earlier?

They're on a different line 300 miles away.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug938h$2ikfk$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66364&group=uk.railway#66364

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:27:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Xa4oL4RdGI33TNhvbxk08eGZSVo=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:27 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems they've ordered DEMUs from Alstom, so not sure what role the HSTs
>>> will play alongside them:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%27Trapolis_Ts%C3%ADimin_K%E2%80%99%C3%A1ak
>>>

>> Maybe the HSTs are just a stopgap measure to let them start services a bit
>> earlier?
>>

> They're on a different line 300 miles away.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Re: HST to Mexico

<gebgiipdj1nn8s0a8ttueo1jqvuo4is02n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66371&group=uk.railway#66371

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:33:33 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:26:29 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:57:33 -0000 (UTC)
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
>>> carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!
>>>
>>> <https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>
>>>
>>> Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
>>> in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
>>> all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
>>> to save construction costs.
>>>

>>HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>
>>https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>>N44ZQ
>
>Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
>compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
>an odd choice to me.

Are Mexicans larger than people in the UK?

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug9btp$2klpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66372&group=uk.railway#66372

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:55:05 +0100
 by: Certes - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:55 UTC

On 12/10/2023 18:33, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:26:29 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:57:33 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>>
>>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>>> N44ZQ
>>
>> Why would the Mexicans want a 50 year old train that is rather cramped
>> compared to the north american loading gauge stuff they're used to? Seems
>> an odd choice to me.
>>
> Are Mexicans larger than people in the UK?

It depends whether they are wearing hats.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug9dhl$2l0nr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66375&group=uk.railway#66375

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 19:22:45 +0100
 by: Coffee - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

On 12/10/2023 09:35, Recliner wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:47:27 +0100
>> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXn
>>> N44ZQ
>>>
>>> Nothing to see here
>>>
>>> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>>> in a chair for your trouble.
>>>

>>> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.
>>
>> Musk has totally fucked it up. Unless you have an account - I don't - then
>> when you look at someones feed you either get some random tweets from the
>> last few years or you get a login box. If he's trying to make it irrelevant
>> he's certainly going the right away about it.
>
> Yes, he has ambitions to turn it into an 'everything' service to replace
> eBay, Paypal, Facebook, Uber and others, but is more likely to turn it into
> a 'nothing' service.

For me it's "already" a nothing service. It's become unusable without
an account and I don't trust Musk with my personal information. I
didn't have an account only used for live communication with TfW but
I've not used it for a while and according to what I've read it should
have been closed.

Re: HST to Mexico

<ug9dm0$2l2q3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=66376&group=uk.railway#66376

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 19:25:04 +0100
 by: Coffee - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:25 UTC

On 12/10/2023 15:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> HST running under its own power in Mexico:
>>>
>>> https://x.com/paul_winginit/status/1712008111282659796?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>>
>> Nothing to see here
>>
>> Looks like this page doesn’t exist. Here’s a picture of a poodle sitting
>> in a chair for your trouble.
>>

>> Twitter seems to have got even more babyish.
>>

> I can see it without being logged in.

Interesting. Are you sure Twitter is still not able to identity you
without logging in?

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: HST to Mexico