They also surf who only stand on waves.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

SubjectAuthor
* Discount for using electricity away from peak times?David
+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
|`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Chris Hogg
|+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Andy Burns
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?NY
||+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?AlanC
||`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Martin Brown
|+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim Streater
|+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?The Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Ian Jackson
| +* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
| |`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?The Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?SH
+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Martin Brown
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
||`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Martin Brown
|| +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
|| +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
|| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Andy Burns
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Andy Burns
|| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?RJH
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Fredxx
||`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Rod Speed
|`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Iain Archer
| +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Animal
| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?NY
+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Brian Gaff
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
|| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
|+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Chris Hogg
|`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?R D S
|+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?R D S
|| +* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
|| |`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?bert
|| +* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?charles
|| |`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Thomas Prufer
|| `* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Theo
||  `* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||   `* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?R D S
||    `* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Max Demian
||     +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim+
||     +* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||     |+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?charles
||     ||+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||     |||+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||     |||`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Thomas Prufer
||     ||| +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Theo
||     ||| `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?The Natural Philosopher
||     ||+* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Theo
||     |||`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Rod Speed
||     ||+- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Rod Speed
||     ||`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?SteveW
||     |`* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?AnthonyL
||     | `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?alan_m
||     `* Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?R D S
||      +- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Tim Streater
||      `- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Max Demian
|`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?Rod Speed
`- Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?David

Pages:123
Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k364faFgdc0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85655&group=uk.d-i-y#85655

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?
Date: 23 Jan 2023 00:59:22 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 00:59 UTC

Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
November.

I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
already.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k367aqFgrgvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85656&group=uk.d-i-y#85656

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:48:10 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:48 UTC

On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
> November.

The last payment for reducing consumption was on the 19th Jan

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<c4essh1fhba2d4tpdk7ad5g9lah18so7bi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85662&group=uk.d-i-y#85662

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 07:40:15 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 07:40 UTC

On 23 Jan 2023 00:59:22 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>November.
>
>I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
>already.
>
>Cheers
>

>Dave R

E7 runs from midnight to 7AM. Peak electricity consumption is late
afternoon - early evening, which is the time that the discount is
running over. But you have to be able to show that you're using less
electricity than you usually do, i.e. you have to be on a smart meter.

BBC red button also announced that three coal-fired power stations
have been asked to warm up. So much for relying on renewables, then.

--
Chris

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<767939095.696153409.022646.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85664&group=uk.d-i-y#85664

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 07:58:46 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 07:58 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>> November.
>
> The last payment for reducing consumption was on the 19th Jan

There’s another session this evening.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k36v7mFk9b9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85666&group=uk.d-i-y#85666

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:36:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:36 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> BBC red button also announced that three coal-fired power stations
> have been asked to warm up.

Looks like coal has been running a cycle of 36 hours on, 12 hours off,
for the last fortnight.

Might they have pulled some "demand cut" levers between 6 and 8 am today?

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<tqlh1r$1dkj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85668&group=uk.d-i-y#85668

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:38:19 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:38 UTC

On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
> November.

It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.

> I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
> already.

Because that won't take the edge off the 6pm peak load when everyone and
their dog gets home from work and puts the oven on. They are also
warming up no less than 3 coal fired power stations because after the
extent of this cold snap we must be getting a bit low on gas by now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<2115195832.696158779.424303.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85672&group=uk.d-i-y#85672

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 09:27:08 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:27 UTC

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>> November.
>
> It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
> tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
> supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.

Maybe time to change supplier then?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<tqlm99$3ismn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85681&group=uk.d-i-y#85681

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:07:36 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:07 UTC

I have economy 7, and anything that runs from around half past midnight to 7
am ish is charged at around 10p a unit compared with 26p for day units.
I think many were thinking of non time critical uses that could actually
get a feed from the UK power networks as to ad hoc short term low usage
through the day, and allow them to run then, Say topping up charges, or
maybe running fridge compressors if possible.
I don't think it would be much good if you needed it to be time critical.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
> November.
>
> I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
> already.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<tqln46$bsd$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85683&group=uk.d-i-y#85683

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:21:58 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:21 UTC

On 23/01/2023 09:27, Tim+ wrote:
> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
>>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>>> November.
>>
>> It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
>> tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
>> supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.
>
> Maybe time to change supplier then?

And volunteer to pay today's usurious energy prices? No thank you.

I might shift when my fixed price deal ends provided that there is still
at least one supplier offering this discount that hasn't gone bust.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k376cuFl9n5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85686&group=uk.d-i-y#85686

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:38:22 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:38 UTC

On 23/01/2023 08:38, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>> November.
>
> It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
> tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
> supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.

Yep, £3.37 per kilowatt hour of reduction (I believe based on the
average consumption of the last 10 days during the time period when you
have been asked to reduce electricity usage).

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k376hqFl9n5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85687&group=uk.d-i-y#85687

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:40:58 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:40 UTC

On 23/01/2023 10:21, Martin Brown wrote:

> I might shift when my fixed price deal ends provided that there is still
> at least one supplier offering this discount that hasn't gone bust.

The supplier is not discounting. The "national grid" is paying
suppliers/customers. Today's rate is £3.37 per KWh of reduction in usage.

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<csGcncSLpc78-VP-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85688&group=uk.d-i-y#85688

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:41:36 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:41 UTC

On 23/01/2023 07:40, Chris Hogg wrote:
> But you have to be able to show that you're using less
> electricity than you usually do, i.e. you have to be on a smart meter.

And there's the problem. We've been asking our electricity supplier for
many months whether we can have a smart meter and what is involved. They
never respond to emails on the address that they give out for the purpose.

We are thinking of investing a bit of money in solar panels. I imagine
that a side effect of that is to get a smart meter, or at least a way of
regulating which times of day we draw electricity from the grid as
opposed to using our own generated or battery-stored electricity.

As a matter of interest, would having solar panels with a battery
isolate us from the effects of frequent 1-second power cuts on the mains
supply? Every year, in the late summer / early autumn the village has a
rash of brief power outages which have been variously attributed to
overhanging tree branches shorting the HT feed or to exuberant cattle
scratching themselves on wooden poles carrying HT. Or do solar panel
installations cut the locally-generated power the instant that the mains
feed is interrupted, and only restore the local power when the mains
supply resumes (maybe plus a reboot time)?

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k376n6Fl9n5U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85689&group=uk.d-i-y#85689

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:43:50 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:43 UTC

On 23/01/2023 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I have economy 7, and anything that runs from around half past midnight to 7
> am ish is charged at around 10p a unit compared with 26p for day units.
> I think many were thinking of non time critical uses that could actually
> get a feed from the UK power networks as to ad hoc short term low usage
> through the day, and allow them to run then, Say topping up charges, or
> maybe running fridge compressors if possible.
> I don't think it would be much good if you needed it to be time critical.

The payment for the reduction in usage is at specific times - today it's
between 5 and 6pm.

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<7srssh5eljjd8l909rcieq08onnln764tq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85697&group=uk.d-i-y#85697

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 11:33:15 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 11:33 UTC

Have you checked your E7 cost recently? IIRC E7 charges weren't
subject to the price cap applied to other domestic rates, and
suppliers were/are allowed to increase them as they wish, and several
have done so, quite significantly, I believe.

--
Chris

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<309133220.696168988.315550.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85701&group=uk.d-i-y#85701

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 12:19:37 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:19 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I have economy 7, and anything that runs from around half past midnight to 7
>> am ish is charged at around 10p a unit compared with 26p for day units.
>> I think many were thinking of non time critical uses that could actually
>> get a feed from the UK power networks as to ad hoc short term low usage
>> through the day, and allow them to run then, Say topping up charges, or
>> maybe running fridge compressors if possible.
>> I don't think it would be much good if you needed it to be time critical.
>
> The payment for the reduction in usage is at specific times - today it's
> between 5 and 6pm.

But you won’t get it unless anyone can tell if you’ve reduced your
consumption for that period.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<839086447.696169061.440825.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85702&group=uk.d-i-y#85702

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 12:19:37 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:19 UTC

That seems a very good price (by current standards). Are you sure you’re
still on this rate or were you fortunate to lock into a favourable rate for
a year before the prices shot up?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<652055986.696168798.389064.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85703&group=uk.d-i-y#85703

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 12:19:36 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:19 UTC

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 09:27, Tim+ wrote:
>> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
>>> tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
>>> supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.
>>
>> Maybe time to change supplier then?
>
> And volunteer to pay today's usurious energy prices? No thank you.

Well of course it does rather depend on your current deal!

> I might shift when my fixed price deal ends provided that there is still
> at least one supplier offering this discount that hasn't gone bust.

I think Octopus will be around for a while.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k37clkFmaevU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85704&group=uk.d-i-y#85704

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Jan 2023 12:25:24 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:25 UTC

On 23 Jan 2023 at 07:40:15 GMT, "Chris Hogg" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> E7 runs from midnight to 7AM.

It depends where you are in the country as to exactly what the E7 hours are.
npower had a page on their website listing the times for different regions.
Unfortunately, for round here, there were two possible time periods listed,
making it hard to set timers on the Village Hall storage heaters.

--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<3c9a9e9a-de79-492d-a9a6-275e826e93e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85709&group=uk.d-i-y#85709

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 04:47:40 -0800 (PST)
From: ala...@mullen.demon.co.uk (AlanC)
 by: AlanC - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:47 UTC

On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 10:41:45 AM UTC, NY wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 07:40, Chris Hogg wrote:

> As a matter of interest, would having solar panels with a battery
> isolate us from the effects of frequent 1-second power cuts on the mains
> supply? Every year, in the late summer / early autumn the village has a
> rash of brief power outages which have been variously attributed to
> overhanging tree branches shorting the HT feed or to exuberant cattle
> scratching themselves on wooden poles carrying HT. Or do solar panel
> installations cut the locally-generated power the instant that the mains
> feed is interrupted, and only restore the local power when the mains
> supply resumes (maybe plus a reboot time)?

Possibly but I wouldnt count on it. Our system is meant to constantly monitor the house consumption and provide the energy from (in order) the solar panels, the battery or the grid. The actual house usage fluctuates so you often find that on days where this isnt an abundance of solar, there is a very small amount of power being drawn from the grid (a few watts) throughout the day before the inverter realises it can supply the load change from the battery. In theory, if you were running off the solar panels or the battery and the grid outage was quick enough that the inverter didnt notice then you would be OK. If the inverter noticed the grid outage it would stop outputting power so it doesnt electrocute someone working on fixing the grid supply. I am guessing that it will automatically resume after the grid power is restores. We havent been in a position to test this yet.

There are additional devices that can be added as part of some systems which will automatically isolate the house from the grid when it detects an outage, allowing the inverted to continue supplying power to the home. We didnt bother with this as we dont seem to get many power outages (may be tempting fate now).

Out inverted has an EPS (Emergency Power Supply) that is fed power in the event of a grid power outage. The idea is that its only hooked up to a couple of power sockets (not part of the house system) so you can power some things if you need to. Again, we didnt bother paying the extra to get that connected. I could always do it myself if things changed and we started getting regular power outages.

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<tqlvoi$3kc2a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85710&group=uk.d-i-y#85710

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:49:22 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:49 UTC

On 23/01/2023 08:38, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 00:59, David wrote:
>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>> November.
>
> It is a hot topic today. They will pay you not to use electricity
> tonight provided that you have a Smart meter (I do) and the right
> supplier (very few) which I don't. It is a half cocked policy.

I've chosen to stick with my standard meter. I'm tempted to switch
everything on between 5 and 6pm, to offset those who have been persuaded
to switch everything off!

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<tqlvs4$3kebb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85711&group=uk.d-i-y#85711

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:51:16 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:51 UTC

On 23/01/2023 07:40, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2023 00:59:22 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>> November.
>>
>> I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
>> already.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>
> E7 runs from midnight to 7AM. Peak electricity consumption is late
> afternoon - early evening, which is the time that the discount is
> running over. But you have to be able to show that you're using less
> electricity than you usually do, i.e. you have to be on a smart meter.
>
> BBC red button also announced that three coal-fired power stations
> have been asked to warm up. So much for relying on renewables, then.

about 900MW of coal up at the moment, with a tad of solar power and wind
power. France has been importing mostly. Norway is exporting though.
Criunch time when the sun sets

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k37fvfFmo13U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85714&group=uk.d-i-y#85714

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:21:51 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:21 UTC

On 23/01/2023 12:19, Tim+ wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 23/01/2023 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I have economy 7, and anything that runs from around half past midnight to 7
>>> am ish is charged at around 10p a unit compared with 26p for day units.
>>> I think many were thinking of non time critical uses that could actually
>>> get a feed from the UK power networks as to ad hoc short term low usage
>>> through the day, and allow them to run then, Say topping up charges, or
>>> maybe running fridge compressors if possible.
>>> I don't think it would be much good if you needed it to be time critical.
>>
>> The payment for the reduction in usage is at specific times - today it's
>> between 5 and 6pm.
>>

> But you won’t get it unless anyone can tell if you’ve reduced your
> consumption for that period.

Yes, smart meter required plus a sign up before hand to get the payment
for electricity saved (compared to recent average short term usage
between 5 and 6 pm.)

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k37gbbFmo13U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85716&group=uk.d-i-y#85716

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:28:11 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:28 UTC

On 23/01/2023 12:19, Tim+ wrote:
> That seems a very good price (by current standards). Are you sure you’re
> still on this rate or were you fortunate to lock into a favourable rate for
> a year before the prices shot up?
>
> Tim

If currently on a fixed price contract Brian will seriously have to
consider his options when the contract has ended. As others have
indicated, a Economy 7 tariff may now be more expensive than having all
the electricity on a Standard Variable Rate contract.

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<okKNr5GD+ozjFwpy@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85718&group=uk.d-i-y#85718

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:45:39 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:45 UTC

In message <c4essh1fhba2d4tpdk7ad5g9lah18so7bi@4ax.com>, Chris Hogg
<me@privacy.net> writes
>On 23 Jan 2023 00:59:22 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>Haven't seen anything about this recently, but it was a thing late
>>November.
>>
>>I still don't know why Economy 7 (if this still exists) doesn't do the job
>>already.
>>
>>Cheers
>>

>>Dave R
>
>E7 runs from midnight to 7AM. Peak electricity consumption is late
>afternoon - early evening, which is the time that the discount is
>running over. But you have to be able to show that you're using less
>electricity than you usually do, i.e. you have to be on a smart meter.
>
>BBC red button also announced that three coal-fired power stations
>have been asked to warm up. So much for relying on renewables, then.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
For the past few weeks, the wind has been doing a fine job. It has been
typically 40+%, and on several occasions over 50%. A few days ago I'm
pretty sure it actually touched 50, but that might have been at a time
when the total demand was unusually low, at around 25GW. In contrast,
coal, gas etc has been doing little more than 10%. But now that the
Christmas and New Year holiday period is over, and everyone's nose is
back at industry's grindstone, and because that large lump of high
pressure has taken residence over much of the UK, coal etc is now over
50%.

Heaven knows how we're ever going to fuel all those electrical vehicles!
--
Ian

Re: Discount for using electricity away from peak times?

<k37kgfFngljU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=85732&group=uk.d-i-y#85732

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:39:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:39 UTC

Martin Brown wrote:

> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> Maybe time to change supplier then?
>
> And volunteer to pay today's usurious energy prices? No thank you.
Is it time for the two levels of price csap, and price guarantee to end,
they're inhibiting cometition, virtuslly no suppliers are taking n new
customers.

Time to let those who can't really compete since they're just #
"box-shifters for energy bills" dissappear?