FOOLED you! Absorb EGO SHATTERING impulse rays, polyester poltroon!!

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Re: How great is lockdown?

SubjectAuthor
* How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
+* Re: How great is lockdown?Phil Allison
|+* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
||+- Re: How great is lockdown?Rheilly Phoull
||+- Re: How great is lockdown?Clocky
||`* Re: How great is lockdown?Xeno
|| `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
||  `* Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
||   +- Re: How great is lockdown?Daniel65
||   `* Re: How great is lockdown?~misfit~
||    `- Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
|`* Re: How great is lockdown?R Souls
| `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
|  +* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
|  |+- Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
|  |`- Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
|  +* Re: How great is lockdown?Clocky
|  |`* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
|  | +- Re: How great is lockdown?Clifford Heath
|  | +- Re: How great is lockdown?Xeno
|  | `* Re: How great is lockdown?Clocky
|  |  `* Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
|  |   +* Re: How great is lockdown?Xeno
|  |   |`* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
|  |   | +* Re: How great is lockdown?Rheilly Phoull
|  |   | |`* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
|  |   | | +* Re: How great is lockdown?Rheilly Phoull
|  |   | | |+- Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
|  |   | | |+- Re: How great is lockdown?Xeno
|  |   | | |`- Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
|  |   | | `- Re: How great is lockdown?Clocky
|  |   | `* Re: How great is lockdown?~misfit~
|  |   |  `* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
|  |   |   `- Re: How great is lockdown?Rheilly Phoull
|  |   `- Re: How great is lockdown?Clocky
|  `* Re: How great is lockdown?Pomegranate Bastard
|   `* Re: How great is lockdown?Phil Allison
|    `- Re: How great is lockdown?Pomegranate Bastard
+* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
|+* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
||+* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
|||`- Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
||`* Re: How great is lockdown?Chris Jones
|| `* Re: How great is lockdown?Computer Nerd Kev
||  `- Re: How great is lockdown?Chris Jones
|`- Re: How great is lockdown?Chris Jones
`* Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else
 `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
  `* Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else
   `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
    `* Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else
     `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
      `* Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else
       `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
        `* Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else
         `* Re: How great is lockdown?Trevor Wilson
          `* Re: How great is lockdown?keithr0
           `- Re: How great is lockdown?Sylvia Else

Pages:123
Re: How great is lockdown?

<scftmr$63i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=947&group=aus.electronics#947

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: How great is lockdown?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:09:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:09 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

> Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>
> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and, due
> to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down all
> the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his OBD-II
> machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27 microprocessors. BY
> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power than
> a space shuttle.

They now often have multiple processors in the same chip, probably
adding up to more than that system reports. Eg. the BCM2835 SoC
used for the original Raspberry Pi includes the CPU, but also a
secondary "videocore" processor (VPU), as well as "quad" processors
(QPUs) which are used for 3D acceleration processing.

On the models that include a chip for Bluetooth/WiFi, that chip
has one ARM-based processor for Bluetooth and another for WiFi.
The CPU is actually booted by the VPU, then the CPU boots up the
BT/WiFi processors.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1cm7Fmn4eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=948&group=aus.electronics#948

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:20:39 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:20 UTC

I note that NSW Health is now recommending that people get their second
jab sooner in the light of the current outbreak. I've managed to book it
for today.

Sylvia.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1eh8Fn2euU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=949&group=aus.electronics#949

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:52:06 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:52 UTC

On 12/07/2021 9:09 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>
>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and, due
>> to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down all
>> the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his OBD-II
>> machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27 microprocessors. BY
>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power than
>> a space shuttle.
>
> They now often have multiple processors in the same chip, probably
> adding up to more than that system reports. Eg. the BCM2835 SoC
> used for the original Raspberry Pi includes the CPU, but also a
> secondary "videocore" processor (VPU), as well as "quad" processors
> (QPUs) which are used for 3D acceleration processing.
>
> On the models that include a chip for Bluetooth/WiFi, that chip
> has one ARM-based processor for Bluetooth and another for WiFi.
> The CPU is actually booted by the VPU, then the CPU boots up the
> BT/WiFi processors.

**Yep.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1eitFn2euU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=950&group=aus.electronics#950

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:53:01 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:53 UTC

On 12/07/2021 9:20 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> I note that NSW Health is now recommending that people get their second
> jab sooner in the light of the current outbreak. I've managed to book it
> for today.
>
> Sylvia.

**You're lucky. My quack can't fit me in until next Wednesday. That
gives me 8 weeks between jabs.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1ji5FntpsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=951&group=aus.electronics#951

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:17:55 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:17 UTC

On 12-Jul-21 9:53 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 9:20 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> I note that NSW Health is now recommending that people get their
>> second jab sooner in the light of the current outbreak. I've managed
>> to book it for today.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> **You're lucky. My quack can't fit me in until next Wednesday. That
> gives me 8 weeks between jabs.

My own doctor's offering was 4th August, so I mentally said "bugger
that" and looked around for on-line booking options.

Depends on the area, of course, and your mileage may vary.

The main issue, to my mind, is what the situation might be when I had to
expose myself to potential infection in order to get the jab. I'm on the
north shore, which at present seems a small risk. A month from now,
which is about when I was due, the situation could be a hell of a lot
worse. Or the problem could have been solved. One has to make a call on
that.

Sylvia.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1jt4Fo0dhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=952&group=aus.electronics#952

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:23:49 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:23 UTC

On 12/07/2021 11:17 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 12-Jul-21 9:53 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 12/07/2021 9:20 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> I note that NSW Health is now recommending that people get their
>>> second jab sooner in the light of the current outbreak. I've managed
>>> to book it for today.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> **You're lucky. My quack can't fit me in until next Wednesday. That
>> gives me 8 weeks between jabs.
>
> My own doctor's offering was 4th August, so I mentally said "bugger
> that" and looked around for on-line booking options.
>
> Depends on the area, of course, and your mileage may vary.
>
> The main issue, to my mind, is what the situation might be when I had to
> expose myself to potential infection in order to get the jab. I'm on the
> north shore, which at present seems a small risk. A month from now,
> which is about when I was due, the situation could be a hell of a lot
> worse. Or the problem could have been solved. One has to make a call on
> that.
>
> Sylvia.

**Good thinking.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1s4gFpckbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=953&group=aus.electronics#953

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:44:17 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:44 UTC

On 12/07/2021 9:09 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>
>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and, due
>> to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down all
>> the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his OBD-II
>> machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27 microprocessors. BY
>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power than
>> a space shuttle.
>
> They now often have multiple processors in the same chip, probably
> adding up to more than that system reports. Eg. the BCM2835 SoC
> used for the original Raspberry Pi includes the CPU, but also a
> secondary "videocore" processor (VPU), as well as "quad" processors
> (QPUs) which are used for 3D acceleration processing.
>
> On the models that include a chip for Bluetooth/WiFi, that chip
> has one ARM-based processor for Bluetooth and another for WiFi.
> The CPU is actually booted by the VPU, then the CPU boots up the
> BT/WiFi processors.

The sub $10 ESP32 chip has 2 32 bit processors, an ultra low power
processor, and another to handle WiFi.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1s75FpckbU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=954&group=aus.electronics#954

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:45:43 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 03:45 UTC

On 12/07/2021 11:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 11:17 am, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> **You're lucky. My quack can't fit me in until next Wednesday. That
>>> gives me 8 weeks between jabs.
>>
>> My own doctor's offering was 4th August, so I mentally said "bugger
>> that" and looked around for on-line booking options.
>>
>> Depends on the area, of course, and your mileage may vary.
>>
>> The main issue, to my mind, is what the situation might be when I had
>> to expose myself to potential infection in order to get the jab. I'm
>> on the north shore, which at present seems a small risk. A month from
>> now, which is about when I was due, the situation could be a hell of a
>> lot worse. Or the problem could have been solved. One has to make a
>> call on that.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> **Good thinking.

Got in early here in Qld, had the second jab 3 weeks ago with the full
12 week interval.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il1unkFpsmfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=955&group=aus.electronics#955

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:28:36 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 04:28 UTC

On 12-Jul-21 1:45 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 11:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> My own doctor's offering was 4th August, so I mentally said "bugger
>>> that" and looked around for on-line booking options.
>>>
>>> Depends on the area, of course, and your mileage may vary.
>>>
>>> The main issue, to my mind, is what the situation might be when I had
>>> to expose myself to potential infection in order to get the jab. I'm
>>> on the north shore, which at present seems a small risk. A month from
>>> now, which is about when I was due, the situation could be a hell of
>>> a lot worse. Or the problem could have been solved. One has to make a
>>> call on that.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> **Good thinking.
>
> Got in early here in Qld, had the second jab 3 weeks ago with the full
> 12 week interval.

All those people who were saying there was no hurry, and they'd wait and
see, must be hating themselves now.

Sylvia.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<scips8$l1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=956&group=aus.electronics#956

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:22:09 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:22 UTC

On 12/07/2021 2:50 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 4:16 am, R Souls wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:33:32 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
>> <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> ================

>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> ** Remember them well, every 60s pushbutton car radio had one -
>>> operating in class A with a choke load and a 16 ohm speaker.
>>>     Usually mounted on a black anodised Al heatsink with no insulators.
>>>
>>>     One I worked on had special 12V supply valves in the RF stages.
>>
>> I had one of those. It was a Motorola.and it worked a treat. Can't
>> remember where I found it but I fitted it into my Austin Maxi in the
>> 1980s. It was made for a positive earth system so I had to insullate
>> the whole thing form the car chassis. My mates couldn't understand why
>> it took half a minute to warm up.
>>
>> I got 35 quid for it on ebay a few years back. A bloke wanted it for
>> his 1959 Hillman Minx he'd restored..
>
> **"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant on.
> Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>
> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and, due
> to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down all
> the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his OBD-II
> machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27 microprocessors.

That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
model already had around that many.

BY
> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power than
> a space shuttle.

Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
everything these days.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il49gmF988fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=957&group=aus.electronics#957

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 11:44:54 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:44 UTC

On 13/07/2021 11:22 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 2:50 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 12/07/2021 4:16 am, R Souls wrote:

>>> I had one of those. It was a Motorola.and it worked a treat. Can't
>>> remember where I found it but I fitted it into my Austin Maxi in the
>>> 1980s. It was made for a positive earth system so I had to insullate
>>> the whole thing form the car chassis. My mates couldn't understand why
>>> it took half a minute to warm up.
>>>
>>> I got 35 quid for it on ebay a few years back. A bloke wanted it for
>>> his 1959 Hillman Minx he'd restored..
>>
>> **"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant on.
>> Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>
>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and,
>> due to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down
>> all the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his
>> OBD-II machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27
>> microprocessors.
>
> That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
> Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
> model already had around that many.

**Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.

> BY
>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power
>> than a space shuttle.
>>

> Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
> communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
> power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
> everything these days.

**True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful of
discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of caps
and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than $15.00 to
build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the job.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<16914267c7354b79$1$1356503$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=958&group=aus.electronics#958

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:25:51 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:25 UTC

On 13/7/21 11:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 11:22 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> **"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant
>>> on. Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>>
>>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and,
>>> due to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down
>>> all the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his
>>> OBD-II machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27
>>> microprocessors.
>>
>> That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
>> Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
>> model already had around that many.
>
> **Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
> bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
> Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
> they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.
>

>> BY
>>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power
>>> than a space shuttle.
>>>

>> Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
>> communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
>> power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
>> everything these days.
>
> **True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
> powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
> intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful of
> discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of caps
> and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than $15.00 to
> build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the job.

It's cheaper to run power and a data bus everywhere than to run
dedicated feeds to everything. Saves copper, saves complexity, reduces
interconnects. Plus it allows monitoring. Send a message telling the LH
indicators to run, and if you don't get acknowledgement from each one
you can report a lighting fault. Etc.

CH

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il4n0nFbl49U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=959&group=aus.electronics#959

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:35:17 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:35 UTC

On 13/7/21 11:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 11:22 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> **"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant
>>> on. Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>>
>>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and,
>>> due to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down
>>> all the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his
>>> OBD-II machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27
>>> microprocessors.
>>
>> That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
>> Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
>> model already had around that many.
>
> **Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
> bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
> Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
> they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.
>

>> BY
>>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power
>>> than a space shuttle.
>>>

>> Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
>> communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
>> power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
>> everything these days.
>
> **True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
> powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
> intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful of
> discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of caps
> and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than $15.00 to
> build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the job.

Most likely use PAL chips.

Back when I did a Chrysler dealer course on the Voyager and the
Wrangler, pre 2000, they had 15+ computers in each of them then. That
number will only have increased since then.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How great is lockdown?

<scj9vi$2e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=960&group=aus.electronics#960

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:56:58 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:56 UTC

On 13/07/2021 9:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 11:22 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> **"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant
>>> on. Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.
>>>
>>> You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and,
>>> due to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down
>>> all the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his
>>> OBD-II machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27
>>> microprocessors.
>>
>> That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
>> Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
>> model already had around that many.
>
> **Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
> bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
> Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
> they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.

The ZC Vectra was a very different beast. It had all the fruit (TCS,
ESC, SRS, ABS etc etc) but it also had things like modules for each tail
light, headlight, door lock etc. The VP had bugger all computing power,
just an ECM and BCM basically. There were different BCM "levels" (for
instance high or low) depending on the luxury level of the vehicle but
in terms of computing power it had bugger all.

>> BY
>>> my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power
>>> than a space shuttle.
>>>

>> Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
>> communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
>> power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
>> everything these days.
>
> **True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
> powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
> intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful of
> discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of caps
> and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than $15.00 to
> build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the job.

They do and with it comes issues. Like the bloke who attempted to wire
up some spot lights on his NP300 Navara and destroyed the IPDM - $300
module from Nissan plus labour...

Re: How great is lockdown?

<scjkiq$ttc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=961&group=aus.electronics#961

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 20:57:58 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:57 UTC

On 7/07/2021 6:38 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/07/2021 8:31 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> [Anecdote] One of my clients is a (recently retired) financial advisor. He would typically visit
>> me in a shitbox Merc SL450. Then, one day, he piqued my interest, when he rolled up in an Aston
>> Martin DB5 (British Racing Green - of course). He bought it back in 1970 for bugger-all. It was a
>> bit tired, but in good nick overall. He spent $75k doing it up. I checked the value on thing and
>> told him:
>>
>> "I betcha that DB5 has outperformed any investment you've ever made or advised your clients to
>> make."
>>
>> He agreed.
>
> The drummer from Pink Floyd bought a Ferrari 250GTO for 25K ponds with some of his earnings from
> "Dark side of the moon". Probably worth 1000 times that now.

Nick Mason's got quite a few collectable cars. His dad raced a big Bently (which Nick still has I
believe) so it's in his blood.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il7cnnFreglU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=962&group=aus.electronics#962

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 15:58:15 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 05:58 UTC

On 13/07/2021 3:56 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 9:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
>>> Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
>>> model already had around that many.
>>
>> **Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
>> bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
>> Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
>> they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.
>>

> The ZC Vectra was a very different beast. It had all the fruit (TCS,
> ESC, SRS, ABS etc etc) but it also had things like modules for each tail
> light, headlight, door lock etc. The VP had bugger all computing power,
> just an ECM and BCM basically. There were different BCM "levels" (for
> instance high or low) depending on the luxury level of the vehicle but
> in terms of computing power it had bugger all.
>

>>> BY
>>>>

>>> Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
>>> communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
>>> power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
>>> everything these days.
>>
>> **True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
>> powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
>> intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful
>> of discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of
>> caps and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than
>> $15.00 to build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the
>> job.
>
> They do and with it comes issues. Like the bloke who attempted to wire
> up some spot lights on his NP300 Navara and destroyed the IPDM - $300
> module from Nissan plus labour...

I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
with all the electronics.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il7dibFrj72U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=963&group=aus.electronics#963

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 16:12:26 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 06:12 UTC

On 13/07/2021 6:57 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 7/07/2021 6:38 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 7/07/2021 8:31 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> [Anecdote] One of my clients is a (recently retired) financial
>>> advisor. He would typically visit me in a shitbox Merc SL450. Then,
>>> one day, he piqued my interest, when he rolled up in an Aston Martin
>>> DB5 (British Racing Green - of course). He bought it back in 1970 for
>>> bugger-all. It was a bit tired, but in good nick overall. He spent
>>> $75k doing it up. I checked the value on thing and told him:
>>>
>>> "I betcha that DB5 has outperformed any investment you've ever made
>>> or advised your clients to make."
>>>
>>> He agreed.
>>
>> The drummer from Pink Floyd bought a Ferrari 250GTO for 25K ponds with
>> some of his earnings from "Dark side of the moon". Probably worth 1000
>> times that now.
>
> Nick Mason's got quite a few collectable cars. His dad raced a big
> Bently (which Nick still has I believe) so it's in his blood.

https://carwitter.com/visit-nick-masons-car-collection/

Re: How great is lockdown?

<il89kiF2ckqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=964&group=aus.electronics#964

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 00:11:27 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 14:11 UTC

On 14/7/21 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 13/07/2021 3:56 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> **Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for
>>> a bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
>>> Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
>>> they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.
>>>

>> The ZC Vectra was a very different beast. It had all the fruit (TCS,
>> ESC, SRS, ABS etc etc) but it also had things like modules for each
>> tail light, headlight, door lock etc. The VP had bugger all computing
>> power, just an ECM and BCM basically. There were different BCM
>> "levels" (for instance high or low) depending on the luxury level of
>> the vehicle but in terms of computing power it had bugger all.

>>> **True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
>>> powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
>>> intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful
>>> of discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of
>>> caps and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than
>>> $15.00 to build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the
>>> job.
>>
>> They do and with it comes issues. Like the bloke who attempted to wire
>> up some spot lights on his NP300 Navara and destroyed the IPDM - $300
>> module from Nissan plus labour...
>
> I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
> old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
> hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
> with all the electronics.

Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
be problematical, especially so when they age.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How great is lockdown?

<scnsuq$qf8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=967&group=aus.electronics#967

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 23:45:30 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 23:45 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On 14/7/21 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>
>> I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
>> old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
>> hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
>> with all the electronics.
>
> Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
> Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
> from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
> old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
> be problematical, especially so when they age.

I heard that the G Wagons that the "department of name changes"
(DELWP, do firefighting in the Vic forrest areas) bought cut out
when their computer detects smoke. Which could be, umm,
inconvenient.

Among other problems:
https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How great is lockdown?

<2c2dnUMVOMJXfHL9nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=971&group=aus.electronics#971

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 15:20:41 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:20 UTC

On 15/07/2021 7:45 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> On 14/7/21 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>>
>>> I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
>>> old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
>>> hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
>>> with all the electronics.
>>
>> Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
>> Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
>> from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
>> old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
>> be problematical, especially so when they age.
>
> I heard that the G Wagons that the "department of name changes"
> (DELWP, do firefighting in the Vic forrest areas) bought cut out
> when their computer detects smoke. Which could be, umm,
> inconvenient.
>
> Among other problems:
> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024

That was 4 years ago !! Also did you check the response from a user ??

Re: How great is lockdown?

<scrf20$vbv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=972&group=aus.electronics#972

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:12:45 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:12 UTC

On 15/07/2021 11:45 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> On 14/7/21 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>>
>>> I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
>>> old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
>>> hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
>>> with all the electronics.
>>
>> Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
>> Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
>> from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
>> old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
>> be problematical, especially so when they age.
>
> I heard that the G Wagons that the "department of name changes"
> (DELWP, do firefighting in the Vic forrest areas) bought cut out
> when their computer detects smoke. Which could be, umm,
> inconvenient.
>
> Among other problems:
> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024

As someone who calls himself a computer nerd you'd think you'd know what parts of URLs aren't
needed. In the above case it's the ?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024 on the end. Not
only unnecessary but can also be used to track where visitors got the link from. (Which is why I
remove it or anything similar from URLS before using them in a browser.)

<https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174>
gets you to the same page just fine.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: How great is lockdown?

<sct72p$1br8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=973&group=aus.electronics#973

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:08:58 +0000 (UTC)
References: <ikhoj9Fmja2U1@mid.individual.net> <0af322bc-3eef-416a-9756-0de0f9bdb166n@googlegroups.com> <8bcmegtmi1lhb839skkd2gmre17hm3a61m@4ax.com> <il0ssiFjsnkU1@mid.individual.net> <scips8$l1k$1@dont-email.me> <il49gmF988fU1@mid.individual.net> <scj9vi$2e2$1@dont-email.me> <il7cnnFreglU1@mid.individual.net> <il89kiF2ckqU1@mid.individual.net> <scnsuq$qf8$1@gioia.aioe.org> <scrf20$vbv$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:08 UTC

~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/07/2021 11:45 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Among other problems:
>> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024
>
> As someone who calls himself a computer nerd you'd think you'd
> know what parts of URLs aren't needed. In the above case it's the
> ?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024 on the end.

Alright alright, bitchy. I didn't see the "?" amongst the big long
hash that _is_ required for the URL to work, and frankly I don't
intend to study damn URLs like some obsessive just for the sake of
one quick post. Setting up an automatic process to always strip
anything after a "?" would obviously break other URLs.

> Not only unnecessary but can also be used to track where visitors
> got the link from. (Which is why I remove it or anything similar
> from URLS before using them in a browser.)

Well good for you. Make sure you also tell it to all the fools who
post long links to Ebay and the like, sometimes even using a URL
shortener service, without realising that they can be trimmed down
to.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/[item number]

_I_ don't because I accept that not everybody can figure it out or
just be bothered to do it. Buy if you're going to pick on me for
_that_ one tracking parameter in the middle of a big long string of
identical-looking noise, then I expect you to tell those other URL
posters to rot in hell!

And while we're being bitchy, you had nothing to say about the Merc
4x4s, so why quote all that stuff above the link?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How great is lockdown?

<sct809$1k9k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=974&group=aus.electronics#974

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:24:41 +0000 (UTC)
References: <ikhoj9Fmja2U1@mid.individual.net> <0af322bc-3eef-416a-9756-0de0f9bdb166n@googlegroups.com> <8bcmegtmi1lhb839skkd2gmre17hm3a61m@4ax.com> <il0ssiFjsnkU1@mid.individual.net> <scips8$l1k$1@dont-email.me> <il49gmF988fU1@mid.individual.net> <scj9vi$2e2$1@dont-email.me> <il7cnnFreglU1@mid.individual.net> <il89kiF2ckqU1@mid.individual.net> <scnsuq$qf8$1@gioia.aioe.org> <2c2dnUMVOMJXfHL9nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@westnet.com.au>
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:24 UTC

Rheilly Phoull <rheilly@bigslong.com> wrote:
> On 15/07/2021 7:45 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
>>> Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
>>> from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
>>> old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
>>> be problematical, especially so when they age.
>>
>> I heard that the G Wagons that the "department of name changes"
>> (DELWP, do firefighting in the Vic forrest areas) bought cut out
>> when their computer detects smoke. Which could be, umm,
>> inconvenient.
>>
>> Among other problems:
>> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024
>>
> That was 4 years ago !!

So what?

> Also did you check the response from a user ??

No, I don't even enable the Javascript required to show comments on
sites like that because I don't think they're worth much coming
from random readers. I've never driven one, so you believe who you
like. Personally I wouldn't like the idea of a vehicle deciding for
itself to cut out in the middle of a firefighting operation, where
it might be required to escape from a dangerous situation. If they
have to do that in order to protect the gearbox, then that just
suggests to me that the gearbox isn't up to the job. But I only
know what I hear and read.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How great is lockdown?

<quidnWdRpYNCd2_9nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=975&group=aus.electronics#975

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 22:36:13 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:36 UTC

On 17/07/2021 8:24 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Rheilly Phoull <rheilly@bigslong.com> wrote:

>>> I heard that the G Wagons that the "department of name changes"
>>> (DELWP, do firefighting in the Vic forrest areas) bought cut out
>>> when their computer detects smoke. Which could be, umm,
>>> inconvenient.
>>>
>>> Among other problems:
>>> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024
>>>
>> That was 4 years ago !!
>
> So what?
>
>> Also did you check the response from a user ??
>
> No, I don't even enable the Javascript required to show comments on
> sites like that because I don't think they're worth much coming
> from random readers. I've never driven one, so you believe who you
> like. Personally I wouldn't like the idea of a vehicle deciding for
> itself to cut out in the middle of a firefighting operation, where
> it might be required to escape from a dangerous situation. If they
> have to do that in order to protect the gearbox, then that just
> suggests to me that the gearbox isn't up to the job. But I only
> know what I hear and read.

So in 4 years there are always improvements made, so you say you are not
a random reader but an expert on vehicles ( which I notice you know shit
about 4wd vehicles). Don't judge from newsgroups, go and drive one, the
mercs are leaders in the game. The g wagon is the choice of the military.

Re: How great is lockdown?

<quidnWZRpYOtdm_9nZ2dnUU7-ImdnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=976&group=aus.electronics#976

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 22:37:36 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:37 UTC

On 17/07/2021 8:08 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 15/07/2021 11:45 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> Among other problems:
>>> https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/national/victorian-delwp-attacked-by-awu-over-mercedesbenz-g-wagons/news-story/e687df05bcdabb6f5df57fc04db7a174?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024
>>
>> As someone who calls himself a computer nerd you'd think you'd
>> know what parts of URLs aren't needed. In the above case it's the
>> ?nk=a94d6ad6f572cd443471d16fc4383a0f-1626306024 on the end.
>
> Alright alright, bitchy. I didn't see the "?" amongst the big long
> hash that _is_ required for the URL to work, and frankly I don't
> intend to study damn URLs like some obsessive just for the sake of
> one quick post. Setting up an automatic process to always strip
> anything after a "?" would obviously break other URLs.
>
>> Not only unnecessary but can also be used to track where visitors
>> got the link from. (Which is why I remove it or anything similar
>> from URLS before using them in a browser.)
>
> Well good for you. Make sure you also tell it to all the fools who
> post long links to Ebay and the like, sometimes even using a URL
> shortener service, without realising that they can be trimmed down
> to.
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/[item number]
>
> _I_ don't because I accept that not everybody can figure it out or
> just be bothered to do it. Buy if you're going to pick on me for
> _that_ one tracking parameter in the middle of a big long string of
> identical-looking noise, then I expect you to tell those other URL
> posters to rot in hell!
>
> And while we're being bitchy, you had nothing to say about the Merc
> 4x4s, so why quote all that stuff above the link?

Because wankers like you are a pain in the butt!!