Recent investments will yield a slight profit.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

SubjectAuthor
* D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?gareth evans
+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?charles
|`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Jeff Gaines
|`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Ian Jackson
+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Ian Jackson
||+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Ian Jackson
|||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Andrew
|||`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?John J
||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?S Viemeister
||`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Alan J. Wylie
|| `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
||  |+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bev
||  ||`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  |+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  ||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bev
||  ||`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  || `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  ||  +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
||  ||  |+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  ||  |`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?SteveW
||  ||  | `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  ||  `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  ||   `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  ||    +- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  ||    `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Sam Plusnet
||  ||     +- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
||  ||     `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Lamb
||  ||      +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Andrew
||  ||      |+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Streater
||  ||      |+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
||  ||      |+* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Sam Plusnet
||  ||      ||+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Lamb
||  ||      ||`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  ||      |`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?gareth evans
||  ||      | `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  ||      `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Rod Speed
||  |+- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?John J
||  |`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Streater
||  `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?S Viemeister
|`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Clive Arthur
| +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Andrew
| | `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
| |  +- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Andrew
| |  `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Streater
| `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|  `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Theo
|   `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|    +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Theo
|    |`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|    | `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Sam Plusnet
|    |  `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?The Natural Philosopher
|    +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Clive Arthur
|    |`- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
|    `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Bob Henson
`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Thomas Prufer
 `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
  `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Ian Jackson
   +* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Brian
   |`* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Sam Plusnet
   | `* Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Tim Streater
   |  `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?gareth evans
   `- Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?Andrew

Pages:123
Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<op.134e0qn0byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96768&group=uk.d-i-y#96768

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 03:03:52 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:03 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:08:48 +1000, Bev <none@forme.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:37:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Now all I need is a mechanism to pop the daily pills out of the blister
>> packs....
>
> https://www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/pill-popper-and-dispenser.html
>
> Many similar on Amazon too, or your local pharmacy.

Wouldnt work with Lipitor, the pills are massive.

> Oh' I forgot, you plonked me.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<op.134fefebbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96770&group=uk.d-i-y#96770

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 03:12:05 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:12 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:36:58 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
wrote:

> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Ocean Spray brand of tartare sauce has similar - we were much
>>> impressed.
>>> For other normal types of jammed screw top jars, this handy vacuum/lid
>>> releaser is a life saver for those with dodgy hands.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/22ql9ese
>>>
>>> The ring-pull can opener mentioned elsewhere is no longer a problem
>>> with
>>> this one in the kitchen drawer.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/27ovddm4
>>>
>>> These two gadgets have saved me endless painful fingers and cuts.
>>
>> Now all I need is a mechanism to pop the daily pills out of the blister
>> packs....
>
> https://tinyurl.com/2cm2hw4p
>
> That's the one I use - not perfect, but it saves lots of little cuts from
> the foil.

I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<Hkpb0xCAS5SkFwp3@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96784&group=uk.d-i-y#96784

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:40:16 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 09:40 UTC

In message <u2eri5$23ke7$1@dont-email.me>, Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes
>Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
>>>>

>>> I’ve not seen herrings in tomato sauce. Can I ask where you bought them,
>>> please?
>>>
>>> I recommend pickled herrings - they come in jars. A bit of a strong taste -
>>> they are wrapped with onions.
>>>
>> Just had some this evening. Initially releasing the lid (there's a
>> vacuum inside) can sometimes be a bit of a bugger. You need to find the
>> sweet spot between the rim of the glass and the edge of the lid where
>> you can insert a suitable tool (usually a spoon handle) to release it.
>
>Not a problem I’ve noticed.
>
>That said, for jars etc which are ‘tight’, we have a gizmo which is like a
>VERY thick rubber band with rubber teeth / nobbles on the inside. You slip
>it over the lid and it helps you grip as well as increasing the distance
>from the centre of rotation a bit. I’m not sure where we bought it- it
>looks like something IKEA would sell.
>
>I make my own pickles etc and use those safety lids you seal using a
>boiling water bath. Sometimes they can be a pain to open. The gizmo is
>perfect.

My gizmo is a 5 inch disc of slightly 'tacky' rubber (very flexible),
which works well. It allows you to apply loads of twist - but you still
have to be super-human to break the vacuum.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2h7md$2ij8h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96792&group=uk.d-i-y#96792

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:44:13 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:44 UTC

On 27/04/2023 23:04, Brian wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
>>>>

>>> I’ve not seen herrings in tomato sauce. Can I ask where you bought them,
>>> please?
>>>
>>> I recommend pickled herrings - they come in jars. A bit of a strong taste -
>>> they are wrapped with onions.
>>>
>> Just had some this evening. Initially releasing the lid (there's a
>> vacuum inside) can sometimes be a bit of a bugger. You need to find the
>> sweet spot between the rim of the glass and the edge of the lid where
>> you can insert a suitable tool (usually a spoon handle) to release it.
>
> Not a problem I’ve noticed.
>
> That said, for jars etc which are ‘tight’, we have a gizmo which is like a
> VERY thick rubber band with rubber teeth / nobbles on the inside. You slip
> it over the lid and it helps you grip as well as increasing the distance
> from the centre of rotation a bit. I’m not sure where we bought it- it
> looks like something IKEA would sell.

Just stab the lid with a sharp pointy object and release
the vacuum. Lid should then be easy to remove.

The worst ones to get off are the lids of Sauerkraut by
Hengstenberg (Sainsburys and others). Releasing the
vacuum is the only way I can get the lids off these jars.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2h7vp$2in3o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96793&group=uk.d-i-y#96793

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:49:13 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:49 UTC

> On 28/04/2023 10:06, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 27/04/2023 19:11, Brian wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I’ve not seen herrings in tomato sauce. Can I ask where you bought them,
>>> please?
>>
>> Lidl do a small range (and probably Aldi), there's also John West
>> herring fillet in tomato sauce from other shops.
>>
> Yes, But I prefer pilchards.

Cat food.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<+LzlfbItBETkFwUY@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96805&group=uk.d-i-y#96805

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 22:53:49 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 21:53 UTC

In message <u2g05n$2cebg$1@dont-email.me>, Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes
>Thomas Prufer <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 13:56:27 +0100, gareth evans
>><headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When SWMBO is occupied elsewhere and I must feed myself, the flat
>>> oval tins of Herrings In are tempting but, when opening these
>>> and peeling back the lid of the tin, how does one prevent a
>>> rainstorm of tomato sauce when you take your finger away from
>>> the loop opener and the lid springs back?
>>
>> Ignore the ring and peelback feature; treat it a as a trap for those
>>who do not
>> have the proper tools.
>>
>> Use a can opener...
>>

>> Thomas Prufer
>>

>Popping the tin in the fridge for a bit or even a freezer - long enough to
>chill the contents and reduce the internal pressure - may help.

If a tin of fish has any internal pressure, I would be very wary about
eating its contents.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2icqr$2re5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96818&group=uk.d-i-y#96818

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:18:03 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 06:18 UTC

On 28/04/2023 20:49, Andrew wrote:
> On 28/04/2023 10:26, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 28/04/2023 10:06, Clive Arthur wrote:
>>> On 27/04/2023 19:11, Brian wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Lidl do a small range (and probably Aldi), there's also John West
>>> herring fillet in tomato sauce from other shops.
>>>
>> Yes, But I prefer pilchards.
>>

> Cat food.
Cats are very discriminating

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<1558rkcls0zwr.1j49982jpdbsk$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96819&group=uk.d-i-y#96819

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:45:14 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 06:45 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:36:58 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Now all I need is a mechanism to pop the daily pills out of the blister
>>> packs....
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/2cm2hw4p
>>
>> That's the one I use - not perfect, but it saves lots of little cuts from
>> the foil.
>
> I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all.

Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. — Mark Twain

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2ifcl$2rod9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96821&group=uk.d-i-y#96821

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:01:41 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:01 UTC

On 29/04/2023 07:45, Bob Henson wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:36:58 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
>> wrote:

>>> https://tinyurl.com/2cm2hw4p
>>>
>>> That's the one I use - not perfect, but it saves lots of little cuts from
>>> the foil.
>>
>> I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all.
>
> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.

yes.

Nerve and joint damage as we get older is no fun when faced with
'childproof' packaging.
My pet hate is blister packs for pills.
You need a fly press to get some of them out...
There's a real market for a very small press for pill popping.

--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<d4f987ba-51f8-4ab0-bb2b-31ad0bb82535n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96825&group=uk.d-i-y#96825

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 00:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:43 UTC

On Thursday, 27 April 2023 at 23:05:01 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
> >>>

> >> I’ve not seen herrings in tomato sauce. Can I ask where you bought them,
> >> please?
> >>
> >> I recommend pickled herrings - they come in jars. A bit of a strong taste -
> >> they are wrapped with onions.
> >>
> > Just had some this evening. Initially releasing the lid (there's a
> > vacuum inside) can sometimes be a bit of a bugger. You need to find the
> > sweet spot between the rim of the glass and the edge of the lid where
> > you can insert a suitable tool (usually a spoon handle) to release it.
> Not a problem I’ve noticed.
>
> That said, for jars etc which are ‘tight’, we have a gizmo which is like a
> VERY thick rubber band with rubber teeth / nobbles on the inside. You slip
> it over the lid and it helps you grip as well as increasing the distance
> from the centre of rotation a bit. I’m not sure where we bought it- it
> looks like something IKEA would sell.
>
> I make my own pickles etc and use those safety lids you seal using a
> boiling water bath. Sometimes they can be a pain to open. The gizmo is
> perfect.
I remember the "Betterware" traveller who used to call a couple of times a year. Always had some "invaluable" gizmos. Rubber bottle top grippers, domed devices to press onto foil milk bottle tops without risk of poking a finger into the milk and other such stuff.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<a42a20be-307b-4432-aa3f-243d6eeb8c3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96826&group=uk.d-i-y#96826

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 00:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:45 UTC

On Friday, 28 April 2023 at 10:37:30 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 28/04/2023 10:27, Bob Henson wrote:
> > Alan J. Wylie wrote:

> >> Only yesterday I bought, for the first time, a couple of jars of Duer's
> >> marmalade with "Easy Open Lids" (Duer's were the lowest pence per 100g
> >> of the "nice" marmalades).
> >>
> >> I haven't opened one yet, but there is a somewhat freely rotating
> >> screwed ring around the main lid which seems to meet a screw thread.
> >>
> >> After a quick search ("Duck Duck Go" doesn't roll off the tongue in the
> >> same way as "Google" does), I've found this:
> >>
> >> From https://duerrs.co.uk/duerrs-new-jar-lid-solves-age-old-problem/
> >>
> >> <cite>
> >> The simple mechanism, developed by Crown Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CCK), a
> >> world leader in metal packaging, reduces the effort required to get the
> >> jar open. The appearance of the OrbitTM lid is very similar to a normal
> >> twist-off lid, but it is actually in two parts: a central panel is
> >> sealed to the jar by vacuum, and an outer ring is screwed in place to
> >> provide further protection.
> >>
> >> To open the jar, the user simply twists the ring in the same way as
> >> opening a normal twist-off lid. Twisting the ring firstly loosens the
> >> ring, then smoothly pushes the panel away from the jar to break the
> >> seal. In this way, the ring acts as a tool to break the seal. As the
> >> panel is free to move within the ring, the sound made by breaking the
> >> seal is accentuated, assuring the consumer of the contents’
> >> freshness. Once opened, the jar may be reclosed and reopened as usual.
> >> </cite>
> >
> > Ocean Spray brand of tartare sauce has similar - we were much impressed..
> > For other normal types of jammed screw top jars, this handy vacuum/lid
> > releaser is a life saver for those with dodgy hands.
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/22ql9ese
> >
> > The ring-pull can opener mentioned elsewhere is no longer a problem with
> > this one in the kitchen drawer.
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/27ovddm4
> >
> > These two gadgets have saved me endless painful fingers and cuts.
> Now all I need is a mechanism to pop the daily pills out of the blister
> packs....
> --
> How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think..
>
> Adolf Hitler
Advancing years has made my finger and toenails thicker and tougher. A thumbnail works well for me. 🖖

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<op.135ohbgcbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96829&group=uk.d-i-y#96829

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 19:25:49 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:25 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:45:14 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:36:58 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
>> wrote:

>>> https://tinyurl.com/2cm2hw4p
>>>
>>> That's the one I use - not perfect, but it saves lots of little cuts
>>> from
>>> the foil.
>>
>> I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all..
>
> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.

None of the foil comes even close to cutting anything.

I do occasionally end up with a pill sized bit of foil, but it never cuts
anything.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<op.135okehpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96830&group=uk.d-i-y#96830

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 19:27:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:27 UTC

Plenty of those around.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2inv2$2t4hp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96831&group=uk.d-i-y#96831

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:28:02 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:28 UTC

On 28/04/2023 17:35, Brian wrote:

<snip>

> Doesn’t the mustard overpower the fish? I like mustard but I’m not sure
> about it with fish.

Works well with strong oily fish, as does horseradish sauce with smoked
mackerel from a packet.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<erzm5ylo4fdj.n2wcfjy3t5w0$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96834&group=uk.d-i-y#96834

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:34:37 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:34 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:45:14 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all.
>>
>> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.
>
> None of the foil comes even close to cutting anything.
>
> I do occasionally end up with a pill sized bit of foil, but it never cuts
> anything.

You must be very special to have your own supply of drugs with different
packaging from the rest of humanity.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<13yb6w33w6iup.105sb4v8kasec$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96835&group=uk.d-i-y#96835

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:39:35 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:39 UTC

Brian wrote:

> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>>> Thank you. I will have a look, a new Lidl opened near us not long ago.
>>
>> These are the ones (warning: link contains fish):
>> https://metro.co.uk/2016/04/30/lidl-recalls-tinned-fish-because-labels-dont-warn-that-cans-may-contain-fish-5852255/
>
> ROTFL
>

>> I can recommend the mustard ones as well as the various tomato versions...
>>

> Doesn’t the mustard overpower the fish? I like mustard but I’m not sure
> about it with fish.

This one works well - Bengali style Mustard Fish. It's a favourite here.

https://tinyurl.com/2n8ej2uz

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Treat each day like it's your last - one day you'll be right.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2j98f$2vnja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96849&group=uk.d-i-y#96849

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 15:23:12 +0100
 by: SteveW - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:23 UTC

> On 29/04/2023 07:45, Bob Henson wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> I never ever get any cuts from the foil and don't use any tool at all.
>>
>> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.
>>
> yes.
>
> Nerve and joint damage as we get older is no fun when faced with
> 'childproof' packaging.
> My pet hate is blister packs for pills.

Worse than that are pills (for my wife) specifically for rheumatoid
arthritis, that come in childproof bottles, that no-one with RA is ever
going to be able to open, even with tools!

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<dy69lhsgdjfn.yjd7f1l2j7yj$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96851&group=uk.d-i-y#96851

From: fak...@obfuscation.net (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:11:30 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 15:11 UTC

SteveW wrote:

> On 29/04/2023 08:01, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.
>>>
>> yes.
>>
>> Nerve and joint damage as we get older is no fun when faced with
>> 'childproof' packaging.
>> My pet hate is blister packs for pills.
>
> Worse than that are pills (for my wife) specifically for rheumatoid
> arthritis, that come in childproof bottles, that no-one with RA is ever
> going to be able to open, even with tools!

They were known as "Granny-proof" caps in my pharmacy. The kids could have
them off in no time, the elderly and infirm used to leave them only loosely
screwed on (frequently very much to the detriment of the drugs therein)
because they couldn't deal with them. Foil wrapping was probably just as
much disliked, but it did work better in that child poisoning cases fell a
lot more after the introduction of foil packing.

A lifetime of trying to tell parents to keep all medicines out of
children's reach had as little effect as telling them not to keep Domestos
and other potentially lethal chemicals in a low level, unlocked cupboard
under the kitchen sink - so the foils were a very good thing even if they
do slash my old fingers unmercifully these days.
--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

You know you're old when your partner says "come upstairs and make love"
and you know you can't do both.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2jld5$31ohd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96855&group=uk.d-i-y#96855

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WIMDfHV1vFWkT/QLfWKYIXKhwek=
 by: Brian - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50 UTC

Clive Arthur <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28/04/2023 17:35, Brian wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Doesn’t the mustard overpower the fish? I like mustard but I’m not sure
>> about it with fish.
>
> Works well with strong oily fish, as does horseradish sauce with smoked
> mackerel from a packet.

I like horseradish on smoked mackerel - one reason I want to grow horse
radish.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2jld5$31ohd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96856&group=uk.d-i-y#96856

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mZVPmhUiInEBgowGLIizIxEC0cQ=
 by: Brian - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50 UTC

Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <u2g05n$2cebg$1@dont-email.me>, Brian <noinv@lid.org> writes
>> Thomas Prufer <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ignore the ring and peelback feature; treat it a as a trap for those
>>> who do not
>>> have the proper tools.
>>>
>>> Use a can opener...
>>>

>>> Thomas Prufer
>>>

>> Popping the tin in the fridge for a bit or even a freezer - long enough to
>> chill the contents and reduce the internal pressure - may help.
>>
> If a tin of fish has any internal pressure, I would be very wary about
> eating its contents.

Good point. That said, cooling may cause a slight vacuum effect, causing
air to carry any spray in as you break the seal.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<u2jld6$31ohd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96857&group=uk.d-i-y#96857

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ziaxmXV/IFBgXqiErawmcAvj9Xk=
 by: Brian - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:50 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>> I can recommend the mustard ones as well as the various tomato versions...
>>
>> Doesn’t the mustard overpower the fish? I like mustard but I’m not sure
>> about it with fish.
>
> It's a creamy mustard not a hot mustard, more like a mustardy white sauce
> than a vinegary hotdog mustard.
>
> Theo

Ok.

I like mustards. I want to return to Dijon which his ‘mustard heaven’ but
on our previous trip someone stole our cool box - the only time we’ve
experienced crime while travelling- and Senior Management has a thing about
Dijon now.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<op.136dm705byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96863&group=uk.d-i-y#96863

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 04:29:21 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:29 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 19:34:37 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:45:14 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and
>>> clumsy.
>>
>> None of the foil comes even close to cutting anything.
>>
>> I do occasionally end up with a pill sized bit of foil, but it never
>> cuts
>> anything.
>
> You must be very special to have your own supply of drugs with different
> packaging from the rest of humanity.

Even more pathetic than you usually manage.

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<91h3M.323431$Mmdc.208239@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96874&group=uk.d-i-y#96874

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:40:04 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:40 UTC

On 29-Apr-23 10:34, Bob Henson wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:45:14 +1000, Bob Henson <fake@obfuscation.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe your hands are in better nick than mine - mine are numb and clumsy.
>>
>> None of the foil comes even close to cutting anything.
>>
>> I do occasionally end up with a pill sized bit of foil, but it never cuts
>> anything.
>
> You must be very special to have your own supply of drugs with different
> packaging from the rest of humanity.

Packaging might vary from one country to another.
In a different group, a chap who lives in Florida says he has one type
of pill which comes in blister packs which he cannot pierce without the
use of tools. His usual method (thumbnail) doesn't work on this
particular construction.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<b3h3M.323432$Mmdc.313819@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96875&group=uk.d-i-y#96875

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:42:15 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:42 UTC

On 29-Apr-23 18:50, Brian wrote:

> I like mustards. I want to return to Dijon which his ‘mustard heaven’ but
> on our previous trip someone stole our cool box - the only time we’ve
> experienced crime while travelling- and Senior Management has a thing about
> Dijon now.

For a similar reason, SWMBO has Calais engraved upon her heart (or was
it her spleen?).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?

<m6h3M.323433$Mmdc.196@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96876&group=uk.d-i-y#96876

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:45:38 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:45 UTC

On 29-Apr-23 18:50, Brian wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Popping the tin in the fridge for a bit or even a freezer - long enough to
>>> chill the contents and reduce the internal pressure - may help.
>>>
>> If a tin of fish has any internal pressure, I would be very wary about
>> eating its contents.
>
> Good point. That said, cooling may cause a slight vacuum effect, causing
> air to carry any spray in as you break the seal.

I buy ground coffee in sealed tins. They always have an excess pressure
inside (probably packed under nitrogen).
I take care where I aim, when opening them.

--
Sam Plusnet

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: D-I-Y catering with Herrings In?