Vulcans worship peace above all. -- McCoy, "Return to Tomorrow", stardate 4768.3

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: green bubble

SubjectAuthor
* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
+* Re: green bubblenospam
|+* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
||`* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
|| +- Re: green bubbleAlan
|| +* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
|| |`* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
|| | `- Re: green bubbleHank Rogers
|| `- Re: green bubble*Hemidactylus*
|`- Re: green bubbleHank Rogers
+* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
|`* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
| +* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
| |+* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
| ||+* Re: green bubblebadgolferman
| ||+* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
| ||`- Re: green bubble*Hemidactylus*
| |`* Re: green bubbleWolfFan
| | `* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
| |  `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
| |   `- Re: green bubbleAlan
| `- Re: green bubble*Hemidactylus*
`* Re: green bubbleJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: green bubbleAlan Browne
  +* Re: green bubblenospam
  |`* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
  | `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
  |  `* Re: green bubblenospam
  |   `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
  |    `* Re: green bubblenospam
  |     `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
  |      `- Re: green bubbleHank Rogers
  `* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
   `* Re: green bubbleAlan Browne
    +* Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
    |`- Re: green bubbleAlan Browne
    `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
     `* Re: green bubbleChris
      +- Re: green bubbleJolly Roger
      `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
       `* Re: green bubblenospam
        `* Re: green bubbleAndy Burnelli
         `- Re: green bubblenospam

Pages:123
Re: green bubble

<tt6bl8$2sq6i$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13183&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13183

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: green bubble
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 00:23:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 00:23 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>> Gen Z is key to Apple's dominance, according to a new report - which
>> says that fear of being "the green bubble guy"' in group chats is a
>> key motivation.
>
> That report is suspect right off the bat since it tries to minimize the
> real reasons why people prefer iMessage over SMS messages with a false
> claim of supposed "fear of bubbles".

In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the least
educated, the least technical and by far the most impressionable of all.

I would wager this trait of being uneducated and ignorant follows iOS,
particularly given that Apple advertising is clearly aimed at the least
technical of the proletariat masses who are most impressionable to style.

> The fact is iMessage offers better
> security, reliability, and usability than SMS as well as much more
> messaging functionality, and that is why most people prefer it. The fact
> that it's built into every Apple device as a default app/service is also
> a huge bonus for Apple's customers.

Adults will note the ignorant iKook above made the following uneducated
claim of supposed (generally fabricated based solely on advertisements)...
a. iMessage -> fear of bubbles
b. iMessage -> better security
c. iMessage -> better reliability
d. iMessage -> better usability
e. iMessage -> more functionality
f. iMessage -> walled garden default messenger

None of which the uneducated low-IQ ignorant iKook bothered to back up.

Why should an iKook know anything about what he talks about.
*When all he needs to do on this newsgroup is lie*

HINT: Ask JollyRoger if he ever used a modern Android messaging app.

>> "iMessage on Android would simply serve to remove [an] obstacle to
>> iPhone families giving their kids Android phones," said Federighi in a
>> lawsuit deposition.

I've pointed to this deposition many times which proves Apple only tells
the truth when forced to, in a court of law (otherwise, Apple lies).

>> Today's report suggests that Apple wouldn't hold the Gen Z dominance
>> it does had that decision not been made.
>
> Smart move then. Apple-only features and services are what sells Apple
> hardware, and Apple is naturally more aware of that than anyone.

There is no doubt the walled garden is the stickiest rat glue trap ever.

Re: green bubble

<220220232009330920%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13184&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13184

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 20:09:33 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 01:09 UTC

In article <tt6bl8$2sq6i$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the least
> educated

send them photos of books.

Re: green bubble

<k5nu72Fipu6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13185&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13185

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 01:35:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 01:35 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>>> Gen Z is key to Apple's dominance, according to a new report - which
>>> says that fear of being "the green bubble guy"' in group chats is a
>>> key motivation.
>>
>> That report is suspect right off the bat since it tries to minimize
>> the real reasons why people prefer iMessage over SMS messages with a
>> false claim of supposed "fear of bubbles".
>
> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the
> least educated, the least technical and by far the most impressionable
> of all.

Imagine how much of a shitty person you have to be to insult your own
family members over something as trivial as the smartphone they happen
to use... Arlen is a hateful clown.

And the insults continue:

> blah blah blah uneducated and ignorant blah blah
>
> blah blah ignorant iKook blah blah blah
>
> blah uneducated low-IQ ignorant iKook blah blah blah

Arlen has such a raging little hate boner for Apple that he is compelled
to belittle anyone who dares to have an honest discussion about Apple
technology - and even his own family members - all in a sad attempt to
disrupt productive conversation here. He's a pathetic excuse of a human
being.

JR

Re: green bubble

<k5nu7qFipu6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13186&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13186

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 01:35:54 GMT

On 2023-02-23, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <tt6bl8$2sq6i$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
><nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the
>> least educated
>
> send them photos of books.

That'll learn 'em!

JR

Re: green bubble

<uKzJL.1366308$vBI8.1229140@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13187&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13187

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 19:57:44 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 01:57 UTC

nospam wrote:
> In article <tt6bl8$2sq6i$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
> <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the least
>> educated
>
> send them photos of books.

LOL. They'll all be PhDs after they glance at the photos.

Re: green bubble

<tt6k4t$2tmaf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13188&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13188

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 02:48:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 02:48 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the
>>> least educated
>>
>> send them photos of books.
>
> That'll learn 'em!

Apple marketing (brilliantly) appeals to the lowest class of people.
Low class people like Alan Baker, Alan Browne, Lewis, Jolly Roger et al.

That's just an educated observation and assessment of fact.

My erudite view is an adult point of view based on studying what kind of
person feels _desperate_ to raise their status by purchasing an iPhone.

I was making the point from observation of Apple marketing and from
badgolferman's assessment of the article that the lower class & less
educated, technically speaking, someone is, the more they love Apple.

That's why Apple marketing (brilliantly) caters to the proletariat.

It's clear from the 'bubble conversations' that these low-class Apple
owners are actually desperate for that iPhone to "raise" their status.

If they had intelligence in terms of technical acumen they wouldn't be
using an iPhone in the first place, and, if they had class, they wouldn't
be _desperate_ for a mere marketing gimmick to give them that class.

I do very much realize this conversation is above your comprehension.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to explain Apple appeals to the lowest classes.

Re: green bubble

<tt6kmq$1l28d$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13189&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13189

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:57:30 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 02:57 UTC

On 2023-02-22 18:48, Andy Burnelli wrote:

>>> send them photos of books.
>>
>> That'll learn 'em!
>
> Apple marketing (brilliantly) appeals to the lowest class of people.
> Low class people like Alan Baker, Alan Browne, Lewis, Jolly Roger et al.
>
> That's just an educated observation and assessment of fact.

That's an insecure narcissist's justification to himself.

Re: green bubble

<k5o65kFjv0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13190&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13190

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 03:51:16 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 03:51 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> send them photos of books.
>>
>> That'll learn 'em!
>
> Apple marketing (brilliantly) appeals to the lowest class of people.

Insults are all Arlen has for anyone who dares to talk about the
beneficial and valued aspects of iMessage and why people prefer it over
alternatives. He even insults his own family for daring to use Apple
products. He slings insults because it's all he's got. Sad.

JR

Re: green bubble

<tt6os1$2u682$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13191&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13191

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:38:47 +0530
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:08 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the
>> least educated, the least technical and by far the most impressionable
>> of all.
>
> Imagine how much of a shitty person you have to be to insult your own
> family members over something as trivial as the smartphone they happen
> to use...

Hehhehheh...

You're the one who fabricated imaginary iOS functionality, JR, not me.

> And the insults continue:

You are the one, Jolly Roger, who has never used an Android phone in your
entire life, and yet you made sweeping claims of fabricated functionality.

It's interesting that all I did was ask you to back up your sweeping claims
of fabricated iOS iMessage functionality - and you consider _that_ simple
adult request of you to back up your own fabricated claims, an insult.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to point out that JR fabricated iOS functionality.

Re: green bubble

<tt6pkf$2ua4r$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13192&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13192

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:51:49 +0530
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:21 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

> Insults are...

Why do you consider me asking you to back up your claims, an insult.
Or the fact that anyone who buys a phone for "colored bubbles" is a fool?

It's not my fault Apple clearly markets to the proletariat, Jolly Roger.

> anyone who dares to talk about the
> beneficial and valued aspects of iMessage

You forget I own _both_ platforms, Jolly Roger.
So I'm aware of how primitive the walled garden iMessage truly is.

> and why people prefer it over alternatives.

There are no alternatives inside the walled garden Jolly Roger.
How could you be ignorant of something as basic as that for iOS?

> He even insults his own family for daring to use Apple products.

I have no problem communicating with iPhone owners.
But then again, I don't care what color I set my conversations to.

Unlike the primitive iOS messaging app, I have full control of the colors.
Do you?

HINT: iMessage is so primitive, you have no control over the colors.
Worse, you have no control over the default app in the walled garden.

> He slings insults because it's all he's got. Sad.

You consider it an insult, Jolly Roger, that I don't believe your lies.
It's clear you've never used a modern Android phone in your entire life.

All you know is iOS.
And, more to the point, you _hate_ Apple markets to low class people.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to explain how primitive the walled garden is.

Re: green bubble

<k5o7v8Fk66oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13193&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13193

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 04:22:00 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:22 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>>> In my own family, we have people who love the iPhone but they're the
>>> least educated, the least technical and by far the most
>>> impressionable of all.
>>
>> Imagine how much of a shitty person you have to be to insult your own
>> family members over something as trivial as the smartphone they
>> happen to use...
>
> Hehhehheh...

Weak laugh you got there.

> You're the one who fabricated imaginary iOS functionality, JR, not me.

That's a lie, and anyone reading this thread can see it plainly. All I
did was state iMessage benefits over SMS - nothing was "fabricated".

But you're definitely the one who *immediately* resorted to insults,
even insulting your own family just because they happen to use Apple
products. That's you, Arlen.

>> And the insults continue:
>
> You are the one, Jolly Roger, who has never used an Android phone in
> your entire life

Wrong. : )

JR

Re: green bubble

<LWBJL.853435$8_id.304920@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13194&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13194

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:27:21 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:27 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Insults are...
>
> Why do you consider me asking you to back up your claims, an insult.
> Or the fact that anyone who buys a phone for "colored bubbles" is a
> fool?
>
> It's not my fault Apple clearly markets to the proletariat, Jolly
> Roger.
>
>> anyone who dares to talk about the
>> beneficial and valued aspects of iMessage
>
> You forget I own _both_ platforms, Jolly Roger.
> So I'm aware of how primitive the walled garden iMessage truly is.
>
>> and why people prefer it over alternatives.
>
> There are no alternatives inside the walled garden Jolly Roger.
> How could you be ignorant of something as basic as that for iOS?
>
>> He even insults his own family for daring to use Apple products.
>
> I have no problem communicating with iPhone owners.
> But then again, I don't care what color I set my conversations to.
>
> Unlike the primitive iOS messaging app, I have full control of the
> colors.
> Do you?
>
> HINT: iMessage is so primitive, you have no control over the colors.
> Worse, you have no control over the default app in the walled garden.
>
>> He slings insults because it's all he's got. Sad.
>
> You consider it an insult, Jolly Roger, that I don't believe your
> lies.
> It's clear you've never used a modern Android phone in your entire
> life.
>
> All you know is iOS.
> And, more to the point, you _hate_ Apple markets to low class people.

Maybe the only way to convince him is to show him your books, man.

Re: green bubble

<tt6r9h$2uetf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13195&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13195

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:20:07 +0530
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:50 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>> Hehhehheh...
>
> Weak laugh you got there.

Let's put it bluntly that I'm here to explain to you that anyone who buys a
phone because of the color of the bubbles... is... um... er... ah... what?

What would _you_ call a person who buys a thousand dollar phone just
because they want to show up in other people's messages as a certain color?

Do you ever _think_ about the kind of person who does that?

>> You're the one who fabricated imaginary iOS functionality, JR, not me.
>
> That's a lie, and anyone reading this thread can see it plainly. All I
> did was state iMessage benefits over SMS - nothing was "fabricated".

Let's put it bluntly that you have never used a modern Android phone,
Jolly Roger, so you have _no idea_ how powerful messaging is on Android.

As just one apropos example, based on badgolferman's original post, on
Android, you can set the color of conversations to anything you want.

Can you do something that simple with the primitive iMessage app, JR?

> But you're definitely the one who *immediately* resorted to insults,
> even insulting your own family just because they happen to use Apple
> products.

My main _adult_ point is that you made sweeping claims for iMessage, almost
all of which were unsubstantiated imaginary fabrications of functionality
the primitive iMessage simply doesn't have, and, my counter point was that
you have no idea what a modern messaging app can do (see example below).

My point is you don't see how primitive iMessage is, because it's all you
know; but let's compare your primitive stone-age iMessage app functionality
to what a modern Android messaging app can do, shall we?

See below for details on what a _modern_ messaging app can do, JR.

>> You are the one, Jolly Roger, who has never used an Android phone in
>> your entire life
>
> Wrong.

My adult point, Jolly Roger, is that you not only don't know how modern a
messaging app can be because all you know is the primitive iMessage app...

.... but also that you made sweeping fabrications of imaginary iMessage
functionality (some of which I outlined above) which you didn't back up.

If you're an adult, Jolly Roger, then let us know how much of what this one
modern app does that your primitive walled-garden iMessage does, please.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>

Want an SMS app that is fast, secure, and packed with all the features and
customization you could want? Look no further.

Pulse SMS is a seriously beautiful, next-generation, private text messaging
app.

We care deeply about your experience with the app, and are committed to
creating the best SMS texting app.

To round out its best-in-class phone app, Pulse SMS re-imagines your
communication by giving you the ability to sync your SMS and MMS messages
across all of your devices. Send and receive texts and
pictures-seamlessly-from your computer, tablet, car, or any device with an
internet connection.

This is text messaging, done right.

A Taste of the Features
Pulse SMS is jam packed with features. On top of syncing between all of
your devices, here is a small taste of what makes it the ultimate text
messaging experience:
- Unparalleled design and fluid animations
- Endless global and per-conversation customization options
- Suggested Smart Replies within conversations
- Password protected, private text conversations
- Share GIFs with your messages, from Giphy
- Powerful searching through messages and conversations
- Automatic message backup and restore with a Pulse SMS account
- Preview web links
- Blacklist pesky spammers
- Delayed sending to give you time to edit or cancel messages you send
- Automated replies based on contacts, keywords, and driving/vacation modes
- Dual-SIM support

Encryption Protocol
First and foremost, all of your conversations are stored in end-to-end
encryption. You never have to worry about your data leaking out and no one
can see your messages except for you, not even the Pulse SMS Team! With
Pulse SMS, you get privacy and peace of mind, right out of the box.

Privacy Protection Proof
In technical terms, we use PBKDF2 to encrypt your password and use it as a
key to encrypt messages and conversations.

Technical Encryption Overview

1) When an account is created, we generate two salts. One to use with
authentication and one for end-to-end encryption.

2) The one that we use with login is straight-forward and normal. We store
a version of your password, hashed against the first salt, and authenticate
you against this hash.

3) For the encryption, we hash your password against salt #2 and store it
locally on your device (computer/tablet/phone). Having this key is the only
way that you can decrypt messages. Since no one else has the password that
was hashed against the second salt, no one else will be able to decrypt
anything.

We share our privacy protocol publicly so our users have peace of mind
knowing their password is never stored anywhere and without that password,
there is no way to create the secret key used for encrypting and decrypting
the content stored in the backend.

Supported Platforms
Pulse SMS has a web app that you can use. It also has native apps for
tablets, MacOS, Windows, Google Chrome, Firefox, Linux, and even Android
TV. Check out all of our platforms, along with screenshots, here:
https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/

Pulse SMS is the premier web, computer, and private texting application on
Android. Everything is instant, setup is a breeze, and it's design is
unlike anything you have ever seen.

Helpful Links
Website: https://maplemedia.io/
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to let people know how primitive iMessage is

Re: green bubble

<tt7flj$1rjno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13196&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13196

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:37:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CKlBJGgTZSzZtF6L0MY2Rzt2vk4=
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:37 UTC

> [...]
> way that you can decrypt messages. Since no one else has the password that
> was hashed against the second salt, no one else will be able to decrypt
> anything.
>
> We share our privacy protocol publicly so our users have peace of mind
> knowing their password is never stored anywhere and without that password,
> there is no way to create the secret key used for encrypting and decrypting
> the content stored in the backend.
>
> Supported Platforms
> Pulse SMS has a web app that you can use. It also has native apps for
> tablets, MacOS, Windows, Google Chrome, Firefox, Linux, and even Android
> TV. Check out all of our platforms, along with screenshots, here:
> https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/
>
> Pulse SMS is the premier web, computer, and private texting application on
> Android. Everything is instant, setup is a breeze, and it's design is

Yes, but do they have the poop and pregnant man emojis?

Re: green bubble

<tt82c9$17res$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13197&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13197

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:56:57 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:56 UTC

Am 23.02.23 um 01:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> HINT: Ask JollyRoger if he ever used a modern Android messaging app.

Something that is simply inexistent. No modern messaging app has a
connection to the Android-OS.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: green bubble

<HhMJL.678927$t5W7.463248@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13198&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13198

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:14:30 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:14 UTC

On 2023-02-23 10:56, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 23.02.23 um 01:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>> HINT: Ask JollyRoger if he ever used a modern Android messaging app.
>
> Something that is simply inexistent. No modern messaging app has a
> connection to the Android-OS.

Eh? There are plenty third party apps that are quite modern and served
by strong systems (Signal, for example).

What Android lacks is the central connective tissue across the entire
Android user base that iMessage offers.

The fractured ecology runs against such. (Can you seem Samsung, Google,
Huawei, LG, Sony ... etc. and so on pulling together to offer a single
message server platform?).

Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages" and as a
result, Samsung have adopted it ... and already forked it. So not sure
how compatible a Samsung Messages experience would be with another
phone's Messages experience over the longer term.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: green bubble

<230220231122156553%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13199&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13199

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:22:15 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:22 UTC

In article <HhMJL.678927$t5W7.463248@fx13.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages"

along with more than a dozen others.

maybe if they had some sort of clue what they're doing, they might have
been able to compete. they don't.

<https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22538240/google-chat-allo-hangouts-t
alk-messaging-mess-timeline>
Over the past 15 years, Google has introduced more than a dozen
messaging services spanning text, voice, and video calling. This
week, the company¹s efforts culminated in the general availability of
Google Chat, a combination of Slack / Discord-style rooms with more
traditional messaging.

Re: green bubble

<k5q0lsFsk7iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13204&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13204

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 20:29:49 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>>
>> That's a lie, and anyone reading this thread can see it plainly. All
>> I did was state iMessage benefits over SMS - nothing was
>> "fabricated".
>
> Let's put it bluntly that you have never used a modern Android phone,
> Jolly Roger, so you have _no idea_ how powerful messaging is on
> Android.

This is about why iPhone users prefer iMessage (blue messages) over SMS
(green messages), and you're *desperately* trying to move the goal post.

iPhone users prefer iMessage because it's more secure, more reliable,
and has more functionality than SMS.

> Android, you can set the color of conversations to anything you want.

That has nothing to do with why iPhone users prefer iMesage.

>> But you're definitely the one who *immediately* resorted to insults,
>> even insulting your own family just because they happen to use Apple
>> products.
>
> My main _adult_ point is that you made sweeping claims for iMessage,
> almost all of which were unsubstantiated imaginary fabrications of
> functionality

Nope, what I said is a FACT: iMessage is more secure, reliable, and has
more functionality than SMS.

> you don't see how primitive iMessage is, because it's all you know

You're an idiot troll who thinks I (along with most people here) haven't
used alternative messaging services. : D And you're desperately trying
to change the discussion from the OP, which is why iPhone users prefer
iMessage over SMS.

>>> You are the one, Jolly Roger, who has never used an Android phone in
>>> your entire life
>>
>> Wrong.
>
> My adult point, Jolly Roger, is that you not only don't know how
> modern a messaging app can be

*yawn* Of course I do.

> all you know is the primitive iMessage app...

iMessage isn't an app - it's a service. And your claim that I don't know
other messaging apps is both false and irrelevant to the discussion of
why iPhone users prefer iMessage over SMS.

> ... but also that you made sweeping fabrications of imaginary iMessage
> functionality

The record shows I did not. You're a bald-faced liar, Arlen.

JR

Re: green bubble

<k5q0o1Fsk7iU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13205&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13205

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 20:30:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:30 UTC

On 2023-02-23, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but do they have the poop and pregnant man emojis?

....and this guy accuses the rest of us of trolling...

JR

Re: green bubble

<k5q12mFsk7iU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13207&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13207

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 20:36:38 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:36 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-02-23 10:56, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 23.02.23 um 01:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>>> HINT: Ask JollyRoger if he ever used a modern Android messaging app.
>>
>> Something that is simply inexistent. No modern messaging app has a
>> connection to the Android-OS.
>
> Eh? There are plenty third party apps that are quite modern and
> served by strong systems (Signal, for example).

Those exist on iOS too, or did you forget? Your initial post was about
why iPhone users prefer *iMessage* over *SMS* - not whether they use
alternative messaging apps and services.

> What Android lacks is the central connective tissue across the entire
> Android user base that iMessage offers.

Blame Google for that.

> Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages" and as a
> result, Samsung have adopted it ... and already forked it. So not
> sure how compatible a Samsung Messages experience would be with
> another phone's Messages experience over the longer term.

Good luck with that:

A decade and a half of instability: The history of Google messaging apps
Sixteen years after the launch of Google Talk, Google messaging is still
a mess.
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/>

JR

Re: green bubble

<k5q13tFsk7iU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13208&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13208

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 20:37:17 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:37 UTC

On 2023-02-23, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <HhMJL.678927$t5W7.463248@fx13.iad>, Alan Browne
><bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages"
>
> along with more than a dozen others.
>
> maybe if they had some sort of clue what they're doing, they might have
> been able to compete. they don't.
>
><https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22538240/google-chat-allo-hangouts-t
> alk-messaging-mess-timeline>
> Over the past 15 years, Google has introduced more than a dozen
> messaging services spanning text, voice, and video calling. This
> week, the company¹s efforts culminated in the general availability of
> Google Chat, a combination of Slack / Discord-style rooms with more
> traditional messaging.

You beat me to it. Kudos. Google's messaging is a hot mess.

JR

Re: green bubble

<5kQJL.1598705$GNG9.418170@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13209&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13209

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:50:09 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:50 UTC

On 2023-02-23 15:36, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-02-23, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Something that is simply inexistent. No modern messaging app has a
>>> connection to the Android-OS.
>>
>> Eh? There are plenty third party apps that are quite modern and
>> served by strong systems (Signal, for example).
>
> Those exist on iOS too, or did you forget? Your initial post was about
> why iPhone users prefer *iMessage* over *SMS* - not whether they use
> alternative messaging apps and services.

Didn't forget at all. I am not the initial poster. Was pointing out to
Lorenz where he's wrong about up to date messaging on Andorid. There
are plenty of choices. (Where there is a blessing, there is a curse).

>> What Android lacks is the central connective tissue across the entire
>> Android user base that iMessage offers.
>
> Blame Google for that.

Maybe. Since Android is a wild-wild west for phone makers, it's not
like Google have much control, nor will the bigger co's like Samsung
allow them to be.

Maybe they need collective counseling?

>> Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages" and as a
>> result, Samsung have adopted it ... and already forked it. So not
>> sure how compatible a Samsung Messages experience would be with
>> another phone's Messages experience over the longer term.
>
> Good luck with that:
>
> A decade and a half of instability: The history of Google messaging apps
> Sixteen years after the launch of Google Talk, Google messaging is still
> a mess.
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/>

Indeed. You can't give OS's away to a bunch of competitors and expect
them all to Kumbaya against their own (perceived) best interests (be top
dog).

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: green bubble

<k5q7n0FtmjsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13210&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13210

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2023 22:29:52 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 22:29 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-02-23 15:36, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Eh? There are plenty third party apps that are quite modern and
>>> served by strong systems (Signal, for example).
>>
>> Those exist on iOS too, or did you forget? Your initial post was
>> about why iPhone users prefer *iMessage* over *SMS* - not whether
>> they use alternative messaging apps and services.
>
> Didn't forget at all. I am not the initial poster.

For some reason I thought you were. I seem to have misread. : ) My
apologies.

> Was pointing out to Lorenz where he's wrong about up to date messaging
> on Andorid. There are plenty of choices. (Where there is a blessing,
> there is a curse).

Agreed.
>>> What Android lacks is the central connective tissue across the
>>> entire Android user base that iMessage offers.
>>
>> Blame Google for that.
>
> Maybe. Since Android is a wild-wild west for phone makers, it's not
> like Google have much control, nor will the bigger co's like Samsung
> allow them to be.

Right, each device manufacturer also often has their own solution.

> Maybe they need collective counseling?

Assuming said counseling is actually productive, maybe... : D

>>> Google are trying to gain the upper hand here with "Messages" and as
>>> a result, Samsung have adopted it ... and already forked it. So not
>>> sure how compatible a Samsung Messages experience would be with
>>> another phone's Messages experience over the longer term.
>>
>> Good luck with that:
>>
>> A decade and a half of instability: The history of Google messaging
>> apps Sixteen years after the launch of Google Talk, Google messaging
>> is still a mess.
>> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/>
>
> Indeed. You can't give OS's away to a bunch of competitors and expect
> them all to Kumbaya against their own (perceived) best interests (be
> top dog).

Yep. And I'm of the opinion it's actually a Good Thing™ that there are
choices, even on iOS where Apple's Messages app is the default.

JR

Re: green bubble

<tt8snq$3590n$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13211&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13211

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:27:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:27 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>> Yes, but do they have the poop and pregnant man emojis?
>
> ...and this guy accuses the rest of us of trolling...

Given Jolly Roger owns the mentality of a kindergarten kid, it's not
surprising JR missed the _adult_ point that badgolferman was making.

What badgolferman was answering is _why_ kids love iMessage, and one of the
reasons is that iMessage has all sorts of "cool to kids" types of emojis.

As an adult, I get that - but my main question, since I strive to
understand all people (even those perplexing Russians) is why would any
_adult_ pine for iMessage on Android when nobody on Android cares for it.

*Certainly the iMessage app is primitive as there's a lot it can't do.*

But what on earth can that primitive walled-garden iMessage app do that,
oh, say, this particularly modern Android messenger doesn't _already_ do?
*Pulse SMS* (Phone/Tablet/Web) by Maple Media, In-app purchases
free, adfree, reqgsf, 4.7star,78.5K reviews,1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to ask what iMessage does that Android doesn't.

Re: green bubble

<TJSJL.845366$Tcw8.486995@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13212&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#13212

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:34:06 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:34 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

As an adult who hangs out with children, you are likely to get
arrested soon.